Negativity (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

For anyone questioning why people are being negative, I suggest they go and watch the game from last night on playback.

It was obvious from the lineup we were going to struggle to threaten them. As I've said on another thread, our entire midfield are really poor, and that's behind a very mediocre (generous) strike force.

I said at half time there would be no way back, so it was hardly surprising when it didn't happen.

We haven't got a bad squad, but I think 3 or 4 need to be dropped now. There's players on the bench that deserve a chance.

If we don't start scoring we will find ourselves down by the relagation zone. That's not being negative, it's just the reality unfortunately.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

When you're paying £25 to attend and, when we're trailing by a goal, most of the players are just looking like they don't care, then there is a right to be negative.

When we sell our best striker and bring in, on current form, absolute junk (two of which aren't even playing), then there is a right to be negative.

When the team selection is flawed, and players who need a rest (Doyle) or need dropping (Shipley) are playing, there is a right to be negative.

When so much faith is being placed in what appears to be our saviour, Jodi Jones, when he seems like he would prefer to dribble past three defenders rather than cross it in or pass to another one of his teammates and I seem to remember him not being particularly good in L1 last time, there is a right to be negative.

When we have scored 8 goals in 11 games, which is equal to Plymouth at the rock bottom of the table and when we are 3 points off relegation, there is a right to be negative.

I think we can turn it around - however for the first Quarter of the season, I have not really seen any reason NOT to be negative, with the exception of Burge and a few good performances from Bayliss and JCH.

luwalla

I actually thought we matched em first half.. maybe im in a minority.

second half was dreadful though, I dont think you can fully blame robins for the set up either. We were getting down the wings and pretty much the whole team were sat on the half way line or further back, so no one was there threatening goal. There was a handful of crosses that came into a dangerous area in the box & just no one was taking a gamble or making a run. Robins was stood on the half way line going berserk telling them to get forward... it was like the team was scared of being caught on the counter more than they were wanting to score

And the goal was defensive error, you cant let a man take a touch and turn to to shoot when he is on the edge of the box.

All that aside I think thats the most organised team ive seen this season. didnt think they were so much of a goal threat as I was expecting though.

for the people saying the team was wrong & there should have 4 or 5 players dropped from at team, id be interested to know who you'd drop & who you would bring in... its all well & good saying drop all of 'These players' but who do you replace them with & what formation ?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

We were getting down the wings

There was an over-reliance on going down the left with Sterling which didn't work. Thomas exposed them on a few occasions on the right but then he was moved to the left and that went to pot.

There was a handful of crosses that came into a dangerous area in the box & just no one was taking a gamble or making a run.

We can't rely on crosses when our strikers are Chaplin and Andreu who, combined, are probably the same height as the average CB. The telling part was when JCH in about the 85th minute had a cross lumped to him when he was surrounded by about 5 defenders. He headed it down into a gaping hole but there was not one striker on the end of it. The players don't seem intelligent enough which was a common theme with nobody making any runs. Which means we revert to long ball or crosses to Chaplin and Andreu.

its all well & good saying drop all of 'These players' but who do you replace them with & what formation ?

This is the problem. On current form, the summer signings look weak and poor. There is nobody to replace them with. I can only hope that with JJ, Kelly and Grimmer back we have a bit more of a threat.

Adge

We were the 6th best side in L2 only a few months ago
Does our fan base really think we should be in the top 6 in a league above so soon?

Yes things have been frustrating but I believe we have the core of a good squad easily good enough for a lower mid table finish this season .

Main problem for me has been Robins reluctance to sort the whole Doyle situation . He should be used a lot more sparingly ,maybe a younger captain needed too and as for his set pieces .....
Yes. Some were thinking we could go straight through this league aswell. Unfortunately though, the momentum has hit the buffers as the more “realistic” of us knew it would and we would be mid-table at best which would still constitute progression.

SlowerThanPlatt

Agree with you Adge. Some got carried away when we signed Ogogo and Brown thinking they were top L1 players because Shrewsbury had a good season which was partly down to getting some good loan players in from higher divisions who performed for them. Before that, with Ogogo and Brown in the team, Shrewsbury were fighting relegation each season

Users who are viewing this thread