Next 6 Fixtures (1 Viewer)

Astute

And you have to remember, we could lose 2 and draw 4 in a 6 match run and that would be considered a bad run of form, no wins in 6 matches.

I can't see us having a run like that unless we lose certain players through injury. Yes we will lose games. We will outplay our opponents and lose. That is football. But we will be too strong for many clubs this season. And a run of 6 games without a win?

Otis

It's interesting that we still believe we are a massive team for this league.

At the end of last season I think the squad that we had would've been proud of a mid-table finish in this league, but MR has completely rebuilt the squad.

He's given us all two things we're not used to.....Faith and Optimism.

#pusb

He has indeed and I am very confident this year.

Recruited well, recruited early, went for spirit and leadership as much as anything else. Also got a better keeper and two battlers in midfield at last!!

Otis

I can't see us having a run like that unless we lose certain players through injury. Yes we will lose games. We will outplay our opponents and lose. That is football. But we will be too strong for many clubs this season. And a run of 6 games without a win?
Just alluding to that because it would be a bad run, but we would have only lost 2, which is why I spoke of the 10 defeats in total.

Astute

It's interesting that we still believe we are a massive team for this league.

At the end of last season I think the squad that we had would've been proud of a mid-table finish in this league, but MR has completely rebuilt the squad.

He's given us all two things we're not used to.....Faith and Optimism.

#pusb
I see people saying that we think we are a massive club. But I have not seen a single person say we are a massive club. It is different to saying that Robins has put a good side together and that we should have a good season.

standupforcity

I think this team would have been right up there last season...given the evidence so far...this manager has completely transformed us, and importantly has made us a club players want to play for...the transfers show that!

Sbarcher

Just noticed I had a free £10 bet on us winning first 3 league games.Two down so I'm afraid I will be responsible for the draw on Saturday.....

Otis

I know it is easy to just sit here and guess, but looking at it, we have of course, 44 matches left.

Can we win just over half of them? So, say 23 wins out of 44. That's 19 matches we fail to win, so quite a lot.

23 wins would give us 69 points. Add to that the 6 we already have, that makes 75.

5th, 6th and 7th place had no more than 71 points last season to make the playoffs.

If we believe we can win half our matches, we could lose all the other games and still make it.

bawtryneal

Take one game at a time.
Don`t carried away when we win and don`t get to despondent when we lose
All cliches but all very true
Its going to be our year this year so sit back and enjoy the ride
Remember, don`t get carried away until after Christmas when we are 10 points clear

Reactions: vow

Otis

Take one game at a time.
Remember, don`t get carried away until after Christmas when we are 10 points clear
Just think we have got everything right this year. Right manager, right players, right spirit and more places up for grabs to go up.

Of course, it could all go tits up for sure, but I do think the only thing stopping us from having a good season now is an horrific injury list, Robins leaving, or Sisu doing something stupid.

I won't be at all despondent if we lose because I will just be confident then of going and getting 3 points in the next game.

I think we can beat everyone in this league. We quite often didn't believe that in League One.

steve82

Take one game at a time.

I'm a little more cautious this morning, a come down after the weekend I suppose. I'm over the moon with our start, it could not of gone any better maximum points and 2 clean sheets.... However, There's always a however!

Winter is not here yet, the pitches are nice and suit our style which seems to be on the deck. When winter comes and the pitch don't play as well teams that lump it long will start to prosper if there geared up that way and have a target man, we can come with that defensively but it's our attacking play that's the concern.
Take the first half Saturday we lumped it long a lot and Stuart Beavon was a more isolated figure try as he might nothing came of on the long ball. Second half when we controlled the game and passed it about we had more joy.

It may be we change the game plan to cope with the conditions and see the side still continue to shine, as all the right foundations are there within the squad, clever players mentally strong and experienced in them types of games.

This team has questions to answer still, we've not played a side who set up for a draw yet also at the Ricoh, how do we deal with them sides. I think this is where Andreu will shine in tight games with 10 men behind the ball.

As I say still questions to answer and problems to overcome, but the early signs are very good, play off should be on as a minimum.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm a little more cautious this morning, a come down after the weekend I suppose. I'm over the moon with our start, it could not of gone any better maximum points and 2 clean sheets.... However, There's always a however!

Winter is not here yet, the pitches are nice and suit our style which seems to be on the deck. When winter comes and the pitch don't play as well teams that lump it long will start to prosper if there geared up that way and have a target man, we can come with that defensively but it's our attacking play that's the concern.
Take the first half Saturday we lumped it long a lot and Stuart Beavon was a more isolated figure try as he might nothing came of on the long ball. Second half when we controlled the game and passed it about we had more joy.

It may be we change the game plan to cope with the conditions and see the side still continue to shine, as all the right foundations are there within the squad, clever players mentally strong and experienced in them types of games.

This team has questions to answer still, we've not played a side who set up for a draw yet also at the Ricoh, how do we deal with them sides. I think this is where Andreu will shine in tight games with 10 men behind the ball.

As I say still questions to answer and problems to overcome, but the early signs are very good, play off should be on as a minimum.

I'm not overly concerned about the lack of a target man. After all, in my experiences as a Cov fan, it hasn't worked when we've utilised them. That said, I've never experienced League 2 football. I've just had a brief scan at the squads of the three automatically promoted teams and only Plymouth had particularly tall strikers. Surprisingly, only Doncaster had a striker who scored more than 20 goals and the top league scorer for Pompey notched 13 goals and Plymouth's got 15. The general trend is that good defences get you out of this league Portsmouth and Plymouth averaged less than 1 goal conceded per game. Defence is an area we have invested in, and our centre midfield is designed to protect the back four so I'm hoping one of our main strengths is our defence this season.

It's clear Vincenti is going to be one out main aerial outlets because as you point out, Beavon will be isolated, at 5"7, he isn't going to physically dominate teams - he will get a flick on here and there and harass defenders but not dominate games. I also think Biamou will be utilised in physically demanding games, but I'm worried of all the signings we've made thus far, he's looking the most likely to flop.

We've built a team that will play efficient football this season, I think this team will grind out a lot of results we need. If we wanted to play football for the purists, Stevenson will undoubtedly be a starter. Instead we've gone for Kelly and Doyle to be aggressive in tackling and pressing teams in the middle. It's very intelligent getting two captains in midfield. In defence, all of our starting defenders are 6" (minus Willis) and we have quick, direct wingers who will take on defenders so I feel we've built a team capable of playing physically. You don't necessarily need a 6"4 target man to play physically, after all, I remember the days of Boothroyd and Platt was consistently dominated by opposition centre halves (that said, he was clearly out of his depth in the Championship).

Last edited:

Otis

Thing is, Steve, this season we have Willis and McDonald. Let them lump it I say. I think we have struggled just as much with speedy, tricky strikers running at us in and around the box these past couple of years or so.

Keeping key players fit this season is going to be key and I am most worried about losing both Doyle and Kelly at the same time.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thing is, Steve, this season we have Willis and McDonald. Let them lump it I say. I think we have struggled just as much with speedy, tricky strikers running at us in and around the box these past couple of years or so.

Keeping key players fit this season is going to be key and I am most worried about losing both Doyle and Kelly at the same time.

Never thought I'd ever say this but... I think we'd miss Doyle if he's ever out injured/suspended. However, since he's left us permanently, he's played more than 40 league games a season. So I think we'll be fine. But Sod's law would have it that this season he finally gives way...

st john

Just how many games do you all think we will lose this season altogether?

Personally I just can't see us losing more than 10 games. I know some games will indeed be tough and we will lose games, but I just can't see it being that many. That's not to say we won't draw a fair few of course.

I would say 10.

Last season the top 3 all lost 11.

Maybe I am being naive, but to my mind, in this division, for us with this squad, I think 10 is quite a lot.

And you have to remember, we could lose 2 and draw 4 in a 6 match run and that would be considered a bad run of form, no wins in 6 matches.

I think we need a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions (or lack of), but if we can avoid several long term absences I see no reason why we can't keep the number of defeats to single figures.

Houdi

I see people saying that we think we are a massive club. But I have not seen a single person say we are a massive club. It is different to saying that Robins has put a good side together and that we should have a good season.
Whilst its fair to say we are not a massive club,we are clearly a massive club in this division. Indeed it is probably the first time in our entire history that we are the biggest club in the division we are playing in. Even if you add in the big negative impact SISU have on our club, if we can't more than compete in this division we may as well truly give up.
First game Saturday,and it was clear that the Doyle/Kelly combination will be a key part of any success, they were both excellent in breaking up the play and they never allowed Grimsby to build up any momentum, so we were never under any real sustained pressure.Consequently the back 4 were able to deal with their few attacks pretty easily. Whilst being one of the few fans who thinks Burge is a reasonable keeper at this level,and was pretty decent in the 2nd half of last season, and indeed Robins clearly rates him, I was very impressed with O'Brien, a good size and commanded his box well. Plus he was very vocal,which was a weakness of Burge and he certainly deserves to keep his place.
Grimmer showed a good desire to get forward, and defenders who can chip in with a few goals will be priceless. Mcdonald looks pretty solid, decent in the air and is prepared to put it in row Z if that is what is required. Vincenti is a player who will I believe divide fan's opinion, but his height will always make him a big asset from set pieces in both boxes. After his goal McNulty seemed to visibly grow in confidence and looked like he will be an asset in this division. The new French lad I expect will soon be a regular starter,he showed glimpses of real quality, so I imagine that it is Beavon whose place will be in most danger.
Although it was only 1 game,overall the side looks a million times more equipped than last seasons team,better organised, far more competitive all over the pitch, and perhaps most importantly more resilient. Whilst its still very early days, and injuries/suspensions or heaven forbid player sales may affect things adversely , this current side is clearly good enough to mount a serious promotion bid.

steve82

I'm not so concerned with us facing the long ball tactics more adapted over the winter months as Mcdonald looks more than comfortable and deals with that threat and the more robust strikers, my concerns are more our lump it long tactics so far seem very ineffective.

But as i say if we set out with that as our game plan we may be differently set up to how we were Saturday and make it work.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think we will not lose a game in the league this side of Christmas. Happy Christmas everyone .

Gazolba

Since no-one has scored against us yet, the mettle of the team has yet to be tested.
Last season when we went a goal down, we usually fell to pieces.
Of course, I hope we score first in every game but the test of a good team for me is the ability to come from behind to win.

Astute

two wins and everyone's gone mental!
We're Coventry for fucks sake, prepare for the worse!!
Just about all CCFC supporters prepare for the worse. Especially in the last 10 years.

I normally try to look for something good. I am a glass half full type of person. Now I am trying to look for where it.can go wrong. I am struggling.

Our GK looks the best we have had for many years. Has everything we have wanted and will get better with experience.

Our defence is playing well. A good solid unit so far. Only had 1 shot on target against us in 2 games. And also getting forward and have helped the strikers.

Our midfield have been in charge of a lot of the games.so far. And when they haven't been in charge it has been even. No soft underbelly. Experienced and good youth at the same time. Has protected our defence very well.

Going forward...our weakest link. 5 goals in 2 games. Jones is terrorising defences. They have tried hacking him down. But he isn't soft and has Doyle to help look after him. McNulty and Beavon give us experience and cause problems for defences. Another two solid players that can take a battering. Grimmer looks like he will get a few. Vincenti wins just about everything in the air. Can see him getting a few as well as starting attacks. And we still have Andreu and the Duck to come in. Not bad for the weakest link.

Then we have Robins as manager. For once we have a manager that knows what a plan B is.

If someone can come out with a serious reason why we won't do well this season then just say so. Being called Coventry City isn't one. SISU have set Robins his limits. He has done well with it. He has got rid of the deadwood. The remaining players want to play for us. And if they take it easy they will get Doyle's foot up their backside.

We are top. 2 points and 3 goals ahead of 2nd. When we lose a game we will still be near the top. Win another game or 2 and we will pull further away from the pack.

Are there 7 clubs better than us? It is debatable if there are 3 better than us. But yes we are called Coventry City ;)

Otis

Just about all CCFC supporters prepare for the worse. Especially in the last 10 years.

I normally try to look for something good. I am a glass half full type of person. Now I am trying to look for where it.can go wrong. I am struggling.

Our GK looks the best we have had for many years. Has everything we have wanted and will get better with experience.

Our defence is playing well. A good solid unit so far. Only had 1 shot on target against us in 2 games. And also getting forward and have helped the strikers.

Our midfield have been in charge of a lot of the games.so far. And when they haven't been in charge it has been even. No soft underbelly. Experienced and good youth at the same time. Has protected our defence very well.

Going forward...our weakest link. 5 goals in 2 games. Jones is terrorising defences. They have tried hacking him down. But he isn't soft and has Doyle to help look after him. McNulty and Beavon give us experience and cause problems for defences. Another two solid players that can take a battering. Grimmer looks like he will get a few. Vincenti wins just about everything in the air. Can see him getting a few as well as starting attacks. And we still have Andreu and the Duck to come in. Not bad for the weakest link.

Then we have Robins as manager. For once we have a manager that knows what a plan B is.

If someone can come out with a serious reason why we won't do well this season then just say so. Being called Coventry City isn't one. SISU have set Robins his limits. He has done well with it. He has got rid of the deadwood. The remaining players want to play for us. And if they take it easy they will get Doyle's foot up their backside.

We are top. 2 points and 3 goals ahead of 2nd. When we lose a game we will still be near the top. Win another game or 2 and we will pull further away from the pack.

Are there 7 clubs better than us? It is debatable if there are 3 better than us. But yes we are called Coventry City ;)

I put everything that has happened previously behind us and out of my mind.

We can't just keep going 'We are Coventry City' forever and a day.

There seems to be a sea change this time. Recruit early, recruit leaders, recruit players with spirit and desire. Solidify the defence and bolster the midfield. Add to that, a no nonsense man at the helm who will always press for 100% from his players and who doesn't suffer fools.

I indeed do not think there will be 7 teams better than us this season.

singers_pore

If someone can come out with a serious reason why we won't do well this season then just say so.

One word...SISU. I do agree with everything you said about the team and manager though. I just worry that SISU will fuck it up and MR will walk.

Astute

I put everything that has happened previously behind us and out of my mind.

We can't just keep going 'We are Coventry City' forever and a day.

There seems to be a sea change this time. Recruit early, recruit leaders, recruit players with spirit and desire. Solidify the defence and bolster the midfield. Add to that, a no nonsense man at the helm who will always press for 100% from his players and who doesn't suffer fools.

I indeed do not think there will be 7 teams better than us this season.
I am the same. If I thought we had no chance of doing anything each season I would have given up years ago.

The worse is when like last season when we didn't even compete in many games. It is a lonely journey home when you have 5 hours or more to think about it. Sometimes like last season I do give up. But this season I just can't wait for the next game. I have to watch Motherwell instead of us this Saturday. Last season I would have been happy. This time I am not. But it has to be done. My next game is Yeovil. About 350 miles each way. But it will be a pleasure driving down knowing that we should at least compete. Can anyone imagine what that drive would have been like last season?

So yes I am confident this season. What a difference a few months makes.

Astute

One word...SISU. I do agree with everything you said about the team and manager though. I just worry that SISU will fuck it up and MR will walk.
We didn't sell last season when we could. It looks like finally SISU have learned. Even Fisher has blended into the background. They are noticing that a team with a chance of doing something brings in more income. And the better we do the more income there will be.

Yes things could go wrong. But I would prefer to enjoy the moment and not worry about what could go wrong.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't see how sisu would make Robins walk? They are (somehow) yet to make any of our managers resign? In recent history at least...

Astute

I don't see how sisu would make Robins walk? They are (somehow) yet to make any of our managers resign? In recent history at least...
How about if they decide to cash in on players in the next window decimating the squad he has put together?

Otis

The only way would be if in January we were right at the top of the pile and then they sold all our best players.

Even they aren't that stupid though are they?

clint van damme

How about if they decide to cash in on players in the next window decimating the squad he has put together?

cash in on who though? Stevenson? He's on the bench. Willis? Would be a loss but not one we couldn't live with. Jones, after his start would be the wounder and everyone else has been signed during the summer so can't see them leaving.

Mucca Mad Boys

Realistically, only Stevenson, Willis and Haynes, maybe Camwell, are saleable assets. We sell all of them, the worst case scenario is that we've got rid of a 1st choice CB, but as for the rest - fringe players as of now.

Atm, we're holding out for 500k for Willis, and neither Bradford or Rotherham seem willing to pay that... Interest in Haynes and Stevenson has seemed to have cooled.

Mucca Mad Boys

The only way would be if in January we were right at the top of the pile and then they sold all our best players.

Even they aren't that stupid though are they?

When have we actually ever done that? We didn't even get rid of Callum Wilson the season he and Clarke were juggernauts. Getting £1m for Clarke, who was 29/30? Good business.

Users who are viewing this thread