Next 6 Fixtures (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

No, he was pretty much the same player it's just that people weren't as blinded by him as before.
I think it's a bit of both. People were way to far up his arse before he was sold but then when he was loaned back his attitude changed. I remember Blackpool away as a particular example where he strolled about barely breaking a job for the game shouting at other players. Our game massively improved when he was taken off.

Nick

Administrator
I think it's a bit of both. People were way to far up his arse before he was sold but then when he was loaned back his attitude changed. I remember Blackpool away as a particular example where he strolled about barely breaking a job for the game shouting at other players. Our game massively improved when he was taken off.

Thing is he was like that a lot before his move as well, diving all over the shop everytime the ball came near him.

He just didn't make up for it after with a decent free kick / goal every so often.

covcity4life

Newport (H) win
Yeovil (A) win
Chesterfield (A) draw
Port Vale (H) win
Carlisle (H) draw
Cambridge (A) draw

who am i kidding. we will win all of them

league 2 on tour!

Astute

Thing is he was like that a lot before his move as well, diving all over the shop everytime the ball came near him.

He just didn't make up for it after with a decent free kick / goal every so often.
So you agree that he was useless after he got the move then.

And you never replied to us winning at Wembley after not selling in January for once either.

Mucca Mad Boys

I thought the season we had Clarke and Wilson up front was successful on the pitch (certainly not off it). We had an outside chance of the play offs, Clarke was sold and replaced with inadequate replacements. The only other "successful" season with Sisu that I can think of was under Mowbray when Maddison went.

We weren't successful per se. We did well considering the points deduction. But, was we so successful it was worth turning down £1m for Leon Clarke? No, because like you say, we had an 'outside chance' of the playoffs. As a fan I was sorely disappointed losing him, but £1m for an ageing League 1 striker - who wanted to leave lets not forget - at the time wasn't a terrible deal. It finished our season for definite, but was likely to end up outside the playoffs either way.

I'd say our first season with MR was successful going into January, hence we secured most the targets we needed. We were always going to be outbid for McG, but at least we got Leon Clarke in at the time. Plus, resigning all the players we felt we needed to be successful. MR left, injuries, and we finished the season on a low point. Then Mowbray's first full season, again, successful going into January: no key players left the club, Maddison was sold and loaned back to us. Arguing his subsequent form was down to his transfer is illogical. The whole team was underperforming as we went from having a blistering season up to the New Year, to literally being one of the worse performing teams in the EFL...

I'm happy to agree with you about why we weren't successful in some of those seasons were unsuccessful... However, my main point is as followed: if we are successful this season going into January, we will retain this group of players, if not improve what we have...

With all said and done, I don't blame the cynicism we Cov fans have built up. The relationship with board and fan base is completely dysfunctional, most likely beyond repair and we simply treat our 'imperial overlords' (sisu) with mistrust and contempt. I know I do.

Astute

We weren't successful per se. We did well considering the points deduction. But, was we so successful it was worth turning down £1m for Leon Clarke? No, because like you say, we had an 'outside chance' of the playoffs. As a fan I was sorely disappointed losing him, but £1m for an ageing League 1 striker - who wanted to leave lets not forget - at the time wasn't a terrible deal. It finished our season for definite, but was likely to end up outside the playoffs either way.

I'd say our first season with MR was successful going into January, hence we secured most the targets we needed. We were always going to be outbid for McG, but at least we got Leon Clarke in at the time. Plus, resigning all the players we felt we needed to be successful. MR left, injuries, and we finished the season on a low point. Then Mowbray's first full season, again, successful going into January: no key players left the club, Maddison was sold and loaned back to us. Arguing his subsequent form was down to his transfer is illogical. The whole team was underperforming as we went from having a blistering season up to the New Year, to literally being one of the worse performing teams in the EFL...

I'm happy to agree with you about why we weren't successful in some of those seasons were unsuccessful... However, my main point is as followed: if we are successful this season going into January, we will retain this group of players, if not improve what we have...

With all said and done, I don't blame the cynicism we Cov fans have built up. The relationship with board and fan base is completely dysfunctional, most likely beyond repair and we simply treat our 'imperial overlords' (sisu) with mistrust and contempt. I know I do.
So you are happy about taking the 1m?

Was any of it used on improving our squad?

Mucca Mad Boys

So you are happy about taking the 1m?

Was any of it used on improving our squad?

Well, at the time, I was disappointed. In hindsight, Clarke wanted to go to his hometown team, who were definitely going to get promoted, and we got £1m for a 29yr old... I think it was a deal that worked for us and Leon Clarke.

Transfers aren't a zero-sum game, you don't get £1m to spend because you sold a player for that amount. The reality of being a lower league club is that you have to sell players to balance the books. I certainly can't remember us spending the £4m we got for McSheffrey... Apparently we're now a club who breaks even, so maybe we don't need to sell players as we used to? I could only hope so. We could've sold Willis, Stevenson and Haynes last Jan if rumours are to be believed.

Astute

cant see us winning at cambridge purely because i still have nightmares of that away day last season
If that is the case then I can't see us finishing in the top 6 as it has been over 40 years since we last did. Lets pray for 7th.

Otis

Newport (H) win
Yeovil (A) win
Chesterfield (A) win
Port Vale (H) win
Carlisle (H) win
Cambridge (A) win

We're coming for the lot of you.

We win the first 8 matches of the season that would convince me we are going to win the league, let alone just get promoted.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We win the first 8 matches of the season that would convince me we are going to win the league, let alone just get promoted.

1u6wia.jpg

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Newport (H) win
Yeovil (A) win
Chesterfield (A) win
Port Vale (H) win
Carlisle (H) win
Cambridge (A) win

We're coming for the lot of you.
What odds would you get to win all of them games ?

st john

By 5PM on Saturday we should have a much clearer idea of how good we really are. Newport are a potential banana skin, and will relish playing us as division leaders. A lot of people think Nouble will score.
How we handle this game should tell us a lot .

Otis

By 5PM on Saturday we should have a much clearer idea of how good we really are. Newport are a potential banana skin, and will relish playing us as division leaders. A lot of people think Nouble will score.
How we handle this game should tell us a lot .
I think every game is a potential banana skin.

We just need to be really professional and not underestimate anyone and always turn up with our game faces on.

st john

I think every game is a potential banana skin.

We just need to be really professional and not underestimate anyone and always turn up with our game faces on.
Yes, and if we can win this game with relative comfort I think some of this early euphoria will start to turn into real optimism.

Users who are viewing this thread