Next years GK (1 Viewer)

ericagradus

Just seen that Blackpool have confirmed the signing of Doyle having been released from Birmingham.

I posted last week that Northampton were looking to bring back Bunn, which would be a coup.

I feel like a keeper should be a priority for Mowbray. I am hoping he does the business soon.

I would of like Doyle, but would prefer Bunn or Ben Amos

SkyBlueScottie

Personally I think Burges form upon his return was generally ok, yes goals were conceded in some game however they were mainly down to inept performances from the whole team rather than him. He is confident when coming for crosses and crucially has enough ability at this level to make crucial saves at crucial times to keep us in a game or ahead. As long as we have a settled defence ahead of him I actually think we will be ok.

Having said that, having another keeper to push him along abd provide competition can only be good for us.

ceetee

Didn't we have Doyle on loan? If my memory is correct I don' t recall him being very highly rated on here and at the other place.

AFCCOVENTRY

If we are going to get out of this league we need a top keeper for L1 level. An ex Chanpionship player on a free as we won't be paying money for anyone.

Burge is not good enough to be number 1 at this stage in his career.

covcity4life

Personally I think Burges form upon his return was generally ok, yes goals were conceded in some game however they were mainly down to inept performances from the whole team rather than him. .

thats a lie though.

many goals were down to burge and no one else.

Philosorapter

Burge is not good enough if we want to succeed. Simple.

I think most of the players are not good enough looking at the table from last season.

If we have equal money as everyone else in this league, then the only way were going to succeed is increasing the personal attributes of each cog in the wheel. Fitness, speed and strength to mention only a few.

mrbluesky87

I don't disagree that we need an experienced goalkeeper (Murphy for me) but to blame Burge for majority of the goals conceded is a bit un-fair and not correct. I remember a few goals going in as a result of Stokes either not getting back quick enough or thinking he was John Terry when his back was to goal. Martin was at fault for a good few before he was dropped.

My argument is that Burge probably kept us in this league with his shot stopping especially within last 10 games of the season.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

I still think Burge is a better goalkeeper than many were giving him credit for and he still has scope for improvement with the right coaching and experience. Plus unless Reda was fit our back line was useless and didn't exactly help him out.

lewys33

I don't disagree that we need an experienced goalkeeper (Murphy for me) but to blame Burge for majority of the goals conceded is a bit un-fair and not correct. I remember a few goals going in as a result of Stokes either not getting back quick enough or thinking he was John Terry when his back was to goal. Martin was at fault for a good few before he was dropped.

If you weigh it up my argument is that Burge probably kept us in this league with his shop stopping especially within last 10 games of the season.

Don't agree at all to be honest. I think I saw him pull off 1 amazing save - the rest were just average despite what has been said. I think people just gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was a young goalkeeper chucked in the deep end and yes to an extent you should do that, but in terms of saving our season - that is utter rubbish.

Not many goals are solely down to the goalkeeper, because a goalkeeper is the last man. That doesn't mean he can get away with all the blame though. What about the free kicks? I can't remember the game but 1 game a free kick was taken and he didn't get anywhere near it - luckily it hit the post. 10 mins later another free kick within 5 yards of the last - guy puts it in exactly the same position and again burge didn't get anywhere near it. This time it was in the net.

Last edited:

mrbluesky87

I still think Burge is a better goalkeeper than many were giving him credit for and he still has scope for improvement with the right coaching and experience. Plus unless Reda was fit our back line was useless and didn't exactly help him out.

Couldn't agree more, was it the Doncaster match near the end of the season at home when we conceded 3 goals all defender errors and that was with Reda, he was just as guilty for a few?

Thus you could argue the defenders were far much to blame for the goals conceded than Burge.

stupot07

I'm not convinced we need an experienced keeper, and thought Burge did well on his return. The mistakes he did make were largely do to him being left exposed by the back 4. Plenty of teams have got promoted out of this league with an inexperience keeper - PNE - Sam Johnstone age 22, Bournemouth - Allsopp age 20, Doncaster - Gary Wood 21, Yeovil - Stech 22. So 4 of the 9 promoted in the last 3 years have had inexperienced keepers.

Would rather we spent money elsewhere tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sick Boy

Those saying that Burge would be alright need their head checking. He isn't good enough for this level.

mrbluesky87

Don't agree at all to be honest. I think I saw him pull off 1 amazing save - the rest were just average despite what has been said. I think people just gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was a young goalkeeper chucked in the deep end and yes to an extent you should do that, but in terms of saving our season - that is utter rubbish.

I never once said "he saved our season" but to blame him for the goals conceded in the second half of the season is just as crap. I saw far worse defending than I did bad goalkeeping. If the defenders had any intelligence then they would have protected him a little more, as it was they couldn't protect themselves.

Furthermore, given the choice at the beginning of last season between Allsopp and Burge I know what I would have gone with, Allsopp screwed us up in the first half of the season, that there is no denying.

mrbluesky87

I agree we need an experienced head for the league games if we are serious of promotion however I would defo keep Burge but play him in all the cup games to still give him that experience.

Sick Boy

Allsopp us a much better keeper than Burge. I can't quite see Burge being involved on a League 1 promotion season any time soon.

mrbluesky87

Those saying that Burge would be alright need their head checking. He isn't good enough for this level.

I agree we need an experienced head for the league games if we are serious of promotion however I would defo keep Burge but play him in all the cup games to still give him that experience.

lewys33

I never once said "he saved our season" but to blame him for the goals conceded in the second half of the season is just as crap. I saw far worse defending than I did bad goalkeeping. If the defenders had any intelligence then they would have protected him a little more, as it was they couldn't protect themselves.

Furthermore, given the choice at the beginning of last season between Allsopp and Burge I know what I would have gone with, Allsopp screwed us up in the first half of the season, that there is no denying.

You prefer Burge to Allsopp?? I admit he had a shaky start (I didn't trust him at all) and his communication was woeful but between the 2 I would definitely choose Allsopp.

Quick question. When you saw bad defending did you ever think "Here we go another goal" or did you think "glad we have Burge in goal to cover this defending!"

Sick Boy

What for? I'd look at releasing him, we don't owe him anything. Let him find a conference or league 2 club to get some experience

mrbluesky87

You prefer Burge to Allsopp?? I admit he had a shaky start (I didn't trust him at all) and his communication was woeful but between the 2 I would definitely choose Allsopp.

Quick question. When you saw bad defending did you ever think "Here we go another goal" or did you think "glad we have Burge in goal to cover this defending!"

I always thought we were going to concede last season, I had no confidence at all in the defending which includes the goalie, that said I thought the same when Allsopp was in goal, I could not stand him, the laziest goalkeeper I have ever saw.

I am just stating that nobody can blame Burge for the goals conceded in the second half of the season. If we continue to defend this new season as we did last then I expect to concede plenty even if we were to have De Gea in goal.

Grendel

I always thought we were going to concede last season, I had no confidence at all in the defending which includes the goalie, that said I thought the same when Allsopp was in goal, I could not stand him, the laziest goalkeeper I have ever saw.

I am just stating that nobody can blame Burge for the goals conceded in the second half of the season. If we continue to defend this new season as we did last then I expect to concede plenty even if we were to have De Gea in goal.

Burge conceded many goals at the near post and the last home game was a horror show.

You are not making any sense regarding Alsopp either who also had the same defence in front of him including Webster.

Sick Boy

If we had a team of 'graduates' and local players there would be those peddling excuses for them as they relegated us to the Conference.

lewys33

I find it strange that you couldn't stand Allsopp but are happy enough with Burge? If as you say above you can't blame Burge for the goals then surely you can't blame Allsopp either?

I was one of the moaners at the start of the season saying "why are we playing someone else's young goalkeeper when he is crap when we have our own" but after a couple of Burge's games I could see why.

Sick Boy

It's the same as those morons who were intend on never giving Murphy as chance when he first joined.

lewys33

If we had a team of 'graduates' and local players there would be those peddling excuses for them as they relegated us to the Conference.

That's it isn't it. I don't understand why because he is a young local goalkeeper we should accept his league 2 mediocrity.

mrbluesky87

Burge conceded many goals at the near post and the last home game was a horror show.

You are not making any sense regarding Alsopp either who also had the same defence in front of him including Webster.

In regards to Allsopp, absolutely correct, he had a defence inc Webster in front of him so why the hell did he never move off his line and when he did he almost strolled out, I don't think I ever saw him run. I'm still not sure what qualities he actually had?

I blame Burge as much as anyone for the goals conceded last season but that's the point, not anymore or any less. It could be argued then if we are to push Burge aside I presume we want Martin gone? Is Stokes a liability? They were as much to blame.

lewys33

In regards to Allsopp, absolutely correct, he had a defence inc Webster in front of him so why the hell did he never move off his line and when he did he almost strolled out, I don't think I ever saw him run. I'm still not sure what qualities he actually had?

I blame Burge as much as anyone for the goals conceded last season but that's the point, not anymore or any less. It could be argued then if we are to push Burge aside I presume we want Martin gone? Is Stokes a liability? They were as much to blame.

Stokes is a decent player at this level. Nothing special but good enough I think. He had a few off games last year, but he had no real LM in front of him, and when he was pushing forward nobody was covering him.

Would you have preferred to have the other young local lad playing in that position. That would have gone just as well as Burge being in goal.

mrbluesky87

Stokes is a decent player at this level. Nothing special but good enough I think. He had a few off games last year, but he had no real LM in front of him, and when he was pushing forward nobody was covering him.

Would you have preferred to have the other young local lad playing in that position. That would have gone just as well as Burge being in goal.

There seems to be some kind of hang up re being the local lad??? I couldn't give a shit where he's from, the fact is I know what I saw at home especially in the last 10 games of the season and to blame Burge purely for our goals conceded is laughable.

We talk about wanting to see a team fight for promotion this season well then if we are honest none of our defenders are fit for that inc Stokes who lets remember came from Forest Green and in moments last year he played at that level.

mrbluesky87

For the record if we are going for total experience then I would have Murphy back otherwise probably Ben Amos as a decent pair of hands.

lewys33

There seems to be some kind of hang up re being the local lad??? I couldn't give a shit where he's from, the fact is I know what I saw at home especially in the last 10 games of the season and to blame Burge purely for our goals conceded is laughable.

We talk about wanting to see a team fight for promotion this season well then if we are honest none of our defenders are fit for that inc Stokes who lets remember came from Forest Green and in moments last year he played at that level.

Because generally the local lads get a bit more leeway don't you think?

Anyway let's not pretend anyone said he is to blame for all the goals, just like you didn't say he "saved our season".

mark82

Amos is still a bit unproven really. Not played a lot for a 25 year old. That said, would be a decent signing at this level and still has plenty of time to improve. Would be a good long and short term choice.

skybluetony176

I'd like to see a solid, experienced keeper come in but to be honest I wouldn't be upset if Burge started the season and if we get the much improved team we're all expecting under TM it wouldn't surprise me if he won over some off his critics too.

NorthernWisdom

That's it isn't it. I don't understand why because he is a young local goalkeeper we should accept his league 2 mediocrity.

It's not necessarily that. In my vie his trajectory was up last season, I've no reason to doubt the same won't apply next season too, so I'd rather have a keeper who can improve if his ceiling is higher than anyone we might bring in for a quick fix.

Users who are viewing this thread