Nicola payne (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

Been following this. Police have lost credibility in the misplacement of the hair brush in their custody. Shows guidelines were not followed. How can you say there are no cross-contamination of hair samples when you don't even know where you have stored the hair brush.

Hopefully new evidence will someday come to light in this case.

Johnnythespider

I fear the only way the truth will come out is a deathbed confession from whoever did it

RedSalmon

You can't really make judgements from media stories but there seemed no evidence other than one hair which proved inconclusive. They didn't even seem to be able to link the accused pair to the victim. No apparent motive, no real evidence. Amazed the CPS bought the case forward.

My understanding, from someone who knows about this sort of thing, is that the CPS will only ever go for a prosecution if they think they have at least a 60% chance of winning the case, and it is in the public interest.

Otis

Yes it does in a civilised society
No, you misunderstand. Maybe I worded it wrong. What I meant was that just because you are found not guilty doesn't necessarily mean you didn't do it, so by the letter of the law you are innocent, but guilty people have been found not guilty in the past and continue to do so.

There are cases where there has been insufficient evidence to convict and therefore a not guilty verdict, but the people have been guilty.

Philosorapter

Is that Latin for O J Simpson and Oscar Pistorious?

The burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies.

Its the presumption of innocence. English common law is as screwed as a legal system can be. In Scotland, by the way, the jury has a third option of, "not proven".

Last edited:

Otis

The burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies.

Its the presumption of innocence. English common law is as screwed as a legal system can be. In Scotland by the way the jury has a third option of "not proven".
Yeah, but then I suppose the assumption could then be that 'not proven' means guilty, rather than possibly innocent in some people's eyes, that the public might well err on the side of guilty.

It's never going to be a perfect system is it. Sometimes people can get off because they have good lawyers, or through a technicality whereby forensics weren't gathered correctly, or procedures weren't followed.

There were acquittals in the initial Stephen Lawrence trial down to insufficient evidence, even though police were convinced of their guilt.

Never going to be a 100% full proof system is it unfortunately.

Otis

You have to say that if O J Simpson didn't have the best lawyers in the country he may well have been found guilty.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Philosorapter

Yeah, but then I suppose the assumption could then be that 'not proven' means guilty, rather than possibly innocent in some people's eyes, that the public might well err on the side of guilty.

It's never going to be a perfect system is it. Sometimes people can get off because they have good lawyers, or through a technicality whereby forensics weren't gathered correctly, or procedures weren't followed.

There were acquittals in the initial Stephen Lawrence trial down to insufficient evidence, even though police were convinced of their guilt.

Never going to be a 100% full proof system is it unfortunately.

I believe it has more to do with the epistemological argument around the nature of innocence rather than the assumption of guilt in a 'not proven' case.

To say someone is not guilty in Scotland then the evidence would need to back it up, rather than in England where a not guilty verdict needs to be found if there is reasonable doubt in the guilt.

And you are correct, there is never going to be a full proof system.

Last edited:

skybluesam66

in this case however - however much the police thought they were guilty, the evidence was worse than a game of cluedo. A complete waste of time

Otis

in this case however - however much the police thought they were guilty, the evidence was worse than a game of cluedo. A complete waste of time
Well that was why I was asking. Haven't followed this trial as intently as some.

How was this ever brought to trial then? Desperation? Long shot?

A waste of everyone's time and money and more heartache for the Payne family.

Users who are viewing this thread