North based Sky Blues fans? (1 Viewer)

The Great Eastern

Having travelled to most parts of Lincolnshire as part of a former job, the overall accent used by the people born there is definitely as if they were from the East Midlands i.e. Leicestershire, Derbyshire etc Going eastwards, it changes dramatically at Sutton Bridge, on the A17, to a broadly Norfolk tongue. As one woman in Sutton Bridge town said to me....she lets her kids go to parties just the other side of the River Nene and instead of being given the traditional party bag to come home with, they come back munching parsnips.... Is Lincolnshire in the Midlands ?? Not buying that whatsoever. How come neither the BBC or ITV operate as Midlands tv in that county ??? If we're taking counties that are in the middle latitude of the country, then Cambridgeshire and Norfolk should also be described as being in the Midlands.... Utter bolleaux

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Having travelled to most parts of Lincolnshire as part of a former job, the overall accent used by the people born there is definitely as if they were from the East Midlands i.e. Leicestershire, Derbyshire etc Going eastwards, it changes dramatically at Sutton Bridge, on the A17, to a broadly Norfolk tongue. As one woman in Sutton Bridge town said to me....she lets her kids go to parties just the other side of the River Nene and instead of being given the traditional party bag to come home with, they come back munching parsnips.... Is Lincolnshire in the Midlands ?? Not buying that whatsoever. How come neither the BBC or ITV operate as Midlands tv in that county ??? If we're taking counties that are in the middle latitude of the country, then Cambridgeshire and Norfolk should also be described as being in the Midlands.... Utter bolleaux

bolleaux - what a great word that is!

Nick

Administrator
scunthorpe.jpg

Scunthorpe is more North than Sheffield and Bolton. Not bothered what a man hundreds of years said. It's Northern.

Plus, Sheffield is below it and more central so should be even more in the midlands ;)

Astute

I lived in the area for nearly 20 years before I moved to where I am now. At one stage it was changed to South Humberside if you were South of the river Humber. But the local people ignored what they tried to do. Two of my kids still live there. I have quite a lot of family living in Skeggy and surrounding areas. So for once I know what I am talking about :woot:

bawtryneal

I live 15 miles from Scunny and have a business based near there and no way does anybody I know consider Scunny as being in the Midlands.

Grendel

I lived in the area for nearly 20 years before I moved to where I am now. At one stage it was changed to South Humberside if you were South of the river Humber. But the local people ignored what they tried to do. Two of my kids still live there. I have quite a lot of family living in Skeggy and surrounding areas. So for once I know what I am talking about :woot:

East Lindsey - Wikipedia

Grendel

I live 15 miles from Scunny and have a business based near there and no way does anybody I know consider Scunny as being in the Midlands.

It isn't - it's one of two boroughs of the county that are above the East Midlands line.

Astute

I lived in a place called Goxhill myself. About the same distance from Scunny. A big place that even people living nearby don't know about.

oucho

You know you are wrong when Grendel agrees with you.

So what is so difficult to understand? The Midlands is the bit in the middle. The original Midlands. They then named other parts. The bit you keep going on about....Lincolnshire.....was put into East Midlands. That isn't THE MIDLANDS. It is miles away. The Midlands is exactly where I showed you the map and an explanation of the exact boundaries.

The clue is in the name..."EAST...MIDLANDS"....the eastern bit of.....THE MIDLANDS.....this is like trying to explain why 1+1=2 to someone who doesn't get it....I need a sit down...

Nick

Administrator
The clue is in the name..."EAST...MIDLANDS"....the eastern bit of.....THE MIDLANDS.....this is like trying to explain why 1+1=2 to someone who doesn't get it....I need a sit down...

But the original comment was about Scunthorpe. That's not the Midlands.

oucho

But the original comment was about Scunthorpe. That's not the Midlands.
Yes it is, it's in Lincolnshire which is a midlands county (yes, including the northern bits of it).

Nick

Administrator
Yes it is, it's in Lincolnshire which is a midlands county (yes, including the northern bits of it).

North Lincolnshire is Humber and Yorkshire. It has a Doncaster Postcode.

It's above Bolton, Sheffield and Doncaster.

oucho

North Lincolnshire is Humber and Yorkshire. It has a Doncaster Postcode.

It's above Bolton, Sheffield and Doncaster.

Postcode is irrelevant. I livedin Cheshire once and had a Stoke postcode. One's north, one's midlands. It means bugger all.

The "Yorkshire and Humber" region is a made-up nonsense. Whoever said "I'm from Yorkshire and the Humber"? What's matters is the pre-1974 actual county boundaries.

Absolute latitude is also irrelevant - there isn't a single straight line which cuts the north from the midlands; as I said before, it follows the combined southern borders of Cheshire (from the Welsh border), Lancashire and Yorkshire.

Nick

Administrator
Postcode is irrelevant. I livedin Cheshire once and had a Stoke postcode. One's north, one's midlands. It means bugger all.

The "Yorkshire and Humber" region is a made-up nonsense. Whoever said "I'm from Yorkshire and the Humber"? What's matters is the pre-1974 actual county boundaries.

Absolute latitude is also irrelevant - there isn't a single straight line which cuts the north from the midlands; as I said before, it follows the combined southern borders of Cheshire (from the Welsh border), Lancashire and Yorkshire.

How many from Scunthorpe have said they are from the Midlands?

Surely if a region is made up nonsense then so are invisible lines? If Sheffield is in the north and something is above it, it's North.

I'd say actual latitude is relevant when saying if something is North or South, surely it's the whole idea of it?

Astute

Oh yes. Trying to get someone to understand that doesn't want to.

You have heard from those who have lived there. You have heard from those that still live there. You have seen a map of The Midlands. You have seen a description of the boundaries of the Midlands.

You have shown nothing to show you are right. You even have Grendel backing you. And you will admit what that means.

oucho

How many from Scunthorpe have said they are from the Midlands? I don't know any but my girlfriend is from Lincolnshire and assures me the whole county is considered Midlands by those who live there.

Surely if a region is made up nonsense then so are invisible lines? If Sheffield is in the north and something is above it, it's North. I don't agree, the building blocks of "north / midlands" etc are the proper original counties that people still identify with. I lived in what is now East Cheshire but I'd always call it Cheshire. Our first away game is to North East Lincolsnhire, but to every man and his dog Cleethrorpes is just in Lincolnshire, as is Skegness. On the basis that you can't have part of a county that's north and part of the same county that's Midlands.

I'd say actual latitude is relevant when saying if something is North or South, surely it's the whole idea of it? See above. It goes off the cultural region / counties not a pure north/south line

I once got into a heated discussion at Port Vale away with some Cov mates who kept saying Stoke is in the North - I figured out they were winding me up as they ignored my attempts to set them straight on the matter. I lived just up the road in Congleton for years and I can confirm that Stokies see themselves as Midlands but as soon as you get to Cheshire just up the road, that's the North West.

Nick

Administrator
I once got into a heated discussion at Port Vale away with some Cov mates who kept saying Stoke is in the North - I figured out they were winding me up as they ignored my attempts to set them straight on the matter. I lived just up the road in Congleton for years and I can confirm that Stokies see themselves as Midlands but as soon as you get to Cheshire just up the road, that's the North West.

Stoke is the midlands, it's in the middle and it's not above Yorkshire.

oucho

Stoke is the midlands, it's in the middle and it's not above Yorkshire.

And, relevantly, it is in Staffordshire which is a Midlands county.

Astute

It is my wedding anniversary. Just had a meal with my wife. She looked at what I was doing on my phone.

She was born in a place called Louth. Many generations of her family were born there. It is in the middle of Scunny and Skeggy. I let her read this thread. Her reply to you? What a f#cking idiot :smuggrin:

oucho

It's also south of Scunthorpe.
Irrelevant.

Scunny is in Lincolnshire
Lincolnshire is in the East Midlands
The East Midlands is part of the Midlands
Scunny = Midlands

It is my wedding anniversary. Just had a meal with my wife. She looked at what I was doing on my phone.

She was born in a place called Louth. Many generations of her family were born there. It is in the middle of Scunny and Skeggy. I let her read this thread. Her reply to you? What a f#cking idiot :smuggrin:

I know where Louth is thanks, I have been there. I can only imagine her comment was aimed at you. My Mrs said the same thing (about you) when I relayed this exchange!

Rich

I lived in a place called Goxhill myself. About the same distance from Scunny. A big place that even people living nearby don't know about.
I work for the company that owns New Holland Docks.

oucho

I work for the company that owns New Holland Docks.
Cool..I went for a poke around there last year. You can still see the site of the Jetty where the ferry used to go across the Humber.

oucho

The East Midlands is a right misnomer, parts of it basically Yorkshire, parts of it South East and some parts North West (Buxton, Glossop etc).
Buxton and Glossop are in Derbyshire, so they're indeed East Midlands towns because Derbyshire belongs to the East Midlands

Astute

Irrelevant.

Scunny is in Lincolnshire
Lincolnshire is in the East Midlands
The East Midlands is part of the Midlands
Scunny = Midlands

I know where Louth is thanks, I have been there. I can only imagine her comment was aimed at you. My Mrs said the same thing (about you) when I relayed this exchange!
The Midlands is in the middle. But you know that.

You can say what you want about East Midlands. Nobody says that they are from there. There are no signposts to say you are there. And it is miles away from the Midlands.

oucho

(...sighs....)

Ranjit Bhurpa

To add more fuel to the fire, Stoke is a misnomer as it is really Hanley (duck).

oucho

Users who are viewing this thread