Northampton Protest Last Night (1 Viewer)

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

What I do regarding to attending games isn't any of your business, but should it matter to you I have spoken to a lot of people (Friends and Family) who have convinced me not to attend games in Northampton. Well I suggest to you BHSB that instead of mocking opinions you find a worthwile arguement and then by all means slander..
Who have I slandered? You my friend mock everything the trust does so dont come on here all high and mighty with me Im willing to stand up for my club if it means Im the only one at a protest I'll be there can the same be said for you or others on here. You wont get a reply from me because Im going out back later:wave:

TurkeyTrot

OK you want media attention.

What will get more, 14-15 people outside sixfields or a couple of thousand at the Ricoh listening to the game instead of travelling? There is plenty of notice too, so interest could be drummed up and and people could plan.

Most people would already have the day free as they would go to the football so in theory their schedule wouldn't change as they would be going to the Ricoh anyway, rather than doing a protest in the daytime with a day's notice? (Not having a dig, fair play to those who could make it).

People keep saying "Well what are you doing?" and "Why don't you come up with something?" but now they have it isn't good enough? Surely if a fair few people are interested then the Trust should jump on it and try and expand it? Not many people would want to stand outside chanting doing a protest but I think if it was more positive and less angry with something like the Ricoh radio idea more would partake?

Maybe make it a bit of a fun day, what about a face painter and something for the kids?

Nick, you'd be quite surprised how far the trust is down the line with what has been suggested. This has been on our agenda for months. But it's obviously a last resort because the first option has to be the football team playing in the Ricoh that day.
With regards to the protests, demos etc the trust has organised, that's all we can do to get fan involvement, the rest is up to the fans. If they choose not to attend for whatever reason then that is up to them. I'm not going to judge anyone, I'll leave that up to you guys if it makes you feel better but snide remarks about the trust or any individual who is trying to make a difference doesn't help our situation.

Skyblue4u

What we need is a few rather attractive ladies with "sisu out" written on their chests running around the Ricoh. This seems a popular method of protest these days and will certainly cause great media attention for the club and it's cause.

I'm prepared to give my time for the auditions should the trust choose this option

NTFC

A protest at the Football league Headquarters in London would get huge press attention and moreso if you tagged on a "Football League not fit for purpose" protest. You would get fans from loads of different clubs coming along.

NorthernWisdom

We did and done it, even made it a Saturday so it would be easier for fans, we took about 40 down because "we should protest in Cov" "it won't make any difference" "I'm washing my hair" in fact every excuse under the sun not to go. Then those same fans said it wasn't a success because only 40 went.
Interestingly, a lot of other fans e mailed the trust with not only support but also financial support with the cost towards the coach etc that couldn't attend.

The problem is, it's about perception.

Media attention by itself isn't sufficient, and small bunch of people outside Sixfields doesn't give the right media attention. In saying this, I understand fully why you'd want to do this, and why it was done so it's a bit unfortunate to use this one as an example - in itself I understand the point and the desire to do it quickly, I also understand the time and distance limitations would stop it being a big group.

But... it's how the debate is framed. It's OK dismissing the perception of 'nobody bothered' by saying 'ah, but others were and said so' as that doesn't help any more than snide comments. The aim of all of us is surely to try and get something that we all believe in, all follow, that makes a positive impact that stops the likes of psgm (although i hope he's the extreme example ;-) ) pointing fingers in return. What's dangerous is 'apathy' breeds apathy. Have sparsely attended protests, and it encourages those sitting on the fence to think 'nobody's bothered, so why should I be?'

So... media events are the way forward, but rather than a general question about 'do you support protest' which allows for people to say YES and do nothing, it might be worth drawing together some of the more sensible ideas, offering a 150 word synopsis for each, asking members if they would physically commit to supporting *this* event (and, more, would they be prepared to stump up some cash to support it?)

Naturally there'd be wastage in the numbers who said yes when it came to it, but it'd give you a clearer idea what type of protest should be arranged. A step back to step forward could be useful, to start building the momentum.

I'd also be designing a survey to ask those members who haven't/won't turn up to protests why.

I'd also be designing a survey for non sky blue trust members about why they aren't members, and what the trust could do to encourage them to become members.

This might be a long game, and while I understand the need for ad-hoc on this particular occasion, it does leave open to the criticism that nobody cares.

When clearly, many do!

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Nick, you'd be quite surprised how far the trust is down the line with what has been suggested. This has been on our agenda for months. But it's obviously a last resort because the first option has to be the football team playing in the Ricoh that day.
With regards to the protests, demos etc the trust has organised, that's all we can do to get fan involvement, the rest is up to the fans. If they choose not to attend for whatever reason then that is up to them. I'm not going to judge anyone, I'll leave that up to you guys if it makes you feel better but snide remarks about the trust or any individual who is trying to make a difference doesn't help our situation.

I know we don't know 100% it is at sixfields but surely if you have this planned already you should let people know so they can plan to be there? People have mentioned travelling and may need time off work.

Get it out early so people can plan :)

TurkeyTrot

I know we don't know 100% it is at sixfields but surely if you have this planned already you should let people know so they can plan to be there? People have mentioned travelling and may need time off work.

Get it out early so people can plan :)
I hope Cov fans have got that time and date cleared in their diaries anyway. :)
It takes a fair bit of planning having to talk to different parties because if there is a need for it to take place it would been to be done right. Once it is 100% confirmed that our first home game is being played elsewhere then we can move forward on this but our primary objective is to try to stop this madness of playing our home games away from the City

italiahorse

Doh, why does media attention make it a success? It could be on the front page of the sun for 2 weeks but if we still have to play there it hasn't been a success.

Doh Doh, If we just sat back like yourself and let it happen then it no one would know the situation and anybody who can help would not be aware.

Easy knock for some people who are giving it a real go.

Well done those that went.:D

TurkeyTrot

The problem is, it's about perception.

Media attention by itself isn't sufficient, and small bunch of people outside Sixfields doesn't give the right media attention. In saying this, I understand fully why you'd want to do this, and why it was done so it's a bit unfortunate to use this one as an example - in itself I understand the point and the desire to do it quickly, I also understand the time and distance limitations would stop it being a big group.

But... it's how the debate is framed. It's OK dismissing the perception of 'nobody bothered' by saying 'ah, but others were and said so' as that doesn't help any more than snide comments. The aim of all of us is surely to try and get something that we all believe in, all follow, that makes a positive impact that stops the likes of psgm (although i hope he's the extreme example ;-) ) pointing fingers in return. What's dangerous is 'apathy' breeds apathy. Have sparsely attended protests, and it encourages those sitting on the fence to think 'nobody's bothered, so why should I be?'

So... media events are the way forward, but rather than a general question about 'do you support protest' which allows for people to say YES and do nothing, it might be worth drawing together some of the more sensible ideas, offering a 150 word synopsis for each, asking members if they would physically commit to supporting *this* event (and, more, would they be prepared to stump up some cash to support it?)

Naturally there'd be wastage in the numbers who said yes when it came to it, but it'd give you a clearer idea what type of protest should be arranged. A step back to step forward could be useful, to start building the momentum.

I'd also be designing a survey to ask those members who haven't/won't turn up to protests why.

I'd also be designing a survey for non sky blue trust members about why they aren't members, and what the trust could do to encourage them to become members.

This might be a long game, and while I understand the need for ad-hoc on this particular occasion, it does leave open to the criticism that nobody cares.

When clearly, many do!
Psmg matters not one jot to me :)
I think we're past the stage of asking non members of the trust why they are not members.
It's wasting time that we don't have. The Trust have been as honest and open as they can be, have made some massive inroads into getting information out to the fans, have asked questions and received answers from all parties and have worked damn hard to try to unite fans and draw the attention to our plight.
We are by far the largest independent fans rep body which gives us a bit of clout but also leaves us in a situation that all of our members may not agree with us some of the time. But we do our best to judge the feeling of our members.
Everything we do is pure of heart and with the best intentions yet we will still get those that knock us for whatever reason they see fit. Maybe it's mischievous or maybe it's genuine, if its genuine then e-mail me with concerns and I will answer as honest as I can. If its mischievous then carry on, whatever floats your boat, maybe they don't realise the gravity of the situation. Either way, we have limited time to attempt to sort this mess out and we will only do it by sticking together and uniting.

Nick

Administrator
I think we're past the stage of asking non members of the trust why they are not members.
It's wasting time that we don't have. The Trust have been as honest and open as they can be, have made some massive inroads into getting information out to the fans, have asked questions and received answers from all parties and have worked damn hard to try to unite fans and draw the attention to our plight.
We are by far the largest independent fans rep body which gives us a bit of clout but also leaves us in a situation that all of our members may not agree with us some of the time. But we do our best to judge the feeling of our members.
Everything we do is pure of heart and with the best intentions yet we will still get those that knock us for whatever reason they see fit. Maybe it's mischievous or maybe it's genuine, if its genuine then e-mail me with concerns and I will answer as honest as I can. If its mischievous then carry on, whatever floats your boat, maybe they don't realise the gravity of the situation. Either way, we have limited time to attempt to sort this mess out and we will only do it by sticking together and uniting.

Aren't you the only one?

Surely there should always be time to find out why people don't want to join the trust to get as many people on board as you can?

italiahorse

Your an easy hit as you are visually doing something.
Its human nature.

NorthernWisdom

if its genuine then e-mail me with concerns and I will answer as honest as I can.

Yeah I have, and you did;)

I understand the 'Trust is shit' messages can get a bit wearing, think that can be split from the 'is this the right way forward?' messages however. One is at least offering alternatives, even if ultimately rejected.

Also totally disagree about feedback from non members. Doesn't have to be an either/or, and the ambition should be to keep growing, be as broad a church as possible.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I have, and you did;)

I understand the 'Trust is shit' messages can get a bit wearing, think that can be split from the 'is this the right way forward?' messages however. One is at least offering alternatives, even if ultimately rejected.

Also totally disagree about feedback from non members. Doesn't have to be an either/or, and the ambition should be to keep growing, be as broad a church as possible.

I don't believe the general PGSM1 comments are fair sometimes with the "you are shit" type attitude but there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism is there?

Now it has been said that a family fun day type thing has been planned, get it at least out there that it is going to happen so people can prepare. If you post it on twitter at 4pm on the day before then you can't moan when nobody turns up :)

TurkeyTrot

Aren't you the only one?

Surely there should always be time to find out why people don't want to join the trust to get as many people on board as you can?

London supports, welsh supporters, Irish supporters...

And we are finding time, we will be at the Godiva festival all weekends, trust members are giving up their weekend to answer questions to anyone who hasn't joined, also non members can check out our website to learn about us and e-mail and concerns they may have.

Nick

Administrator
Ahhh, surely it couldn't be compared to a local supporters group though? That is what confused me.

Fair play for taking the time out at the Godiva though to get people on board.

TurkeyTrot

People always pick up on the wording, we said we were the largest supporters group once and someone said what about the JSB's so now we have to say "independent" :)
Btw 4pm today may be a bit early to put something out ;)

wingy

So which is it Nick?
The trust to try to stop City playing at Northampton or to organise a big party at the Ricoh when they do?

You need to go with the RICOH Turkeytrot ,by far the most Symbolic .IF we go Sixfields Its already gone ,Arms around the RICOH!!!

J

Jack Griffin

Below comments form Cov Telegraph site, could this be any more embarrassing?
You are the embarrassment pgsm1, totally & utterly. Please put a sock in it.

+24 votes Steve Slack 9:49 AM on 5/7/2013

Paul Marston... What was the point of making the comments you did??. Are you a Villa fan with nothing much better to do. Go away and put your time to better use. I live 120 miles form Coventry but have supported them since 1972. But if they tried to play games nearer to me I would still not go until common sense prevails from the owners and they get the fans back on side.

+31 votes John Smith 9:46 AM on 5/7/2013

Sorry Paul Marston; but this protest was done at the drop of a hat. Most supporters didn't even know until yesterday morning. After all it was a working day and a lot of people don't even work so would not spend money on travelling to Northampton. And perhaps the numbers who turned up proved a point. Times are hard its a struggle for many to even afford to go to home games in Coventry let alone every week an 'away' game.
The ideal time to protest in numbers is at Nuneaton a week tomorrow, when I am sure the Sky Blue fans will turn out in big numbers to show their disgust. Tim Fisher as got this so wrong and I dread to think what sort of gates would be for a mid week home game in Northampton.
Well done to those who dropped everything to be at Sixfields last night. This protest can't end but must go on. We the fans have suffered for far too long and enough is enough.
I have posted nearly every day lately I just feel so angry. I have been a Sky Blue for over 55 years, long time retired and if I met John Sillett (another old timer) I am sure we would cry our eyes out together.

PLEASE WAKE UP EVERYBODY BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE

PUSB - SISU OUT

+29 votes Jay Turner 9:45 AM on 5/7/2013

I will praise anyone actively opposing Sisu because The issue is Sisu and what they are doing to our club.

Sisu came in and we were given aspirations of them building the club, Premiership football, and many were warming their hands at the thought of filling the Ricoh towards 30,000 gates.

What we got over 5 years is the club relegated, in a spiral of decline, with 10,000 gates and a real possibility of struggling in Div 3 while playing home games in Northampton!

... and in business terms Sisu have halved the value of CCFC whilst increasing debts to 70m.

Not One Penny More
Sisu Out!

+40 votes Garry Woollaston 9:18 AM on 5/7/2013

Do shut up Paul Marston. Where we you? Were you protesting at Northampton - No. Instead you have a go at the people who dropped everything to protest.
Pathetic of you.

-56 votes Paul Marston 9:07 AM on 5/7/2013

Could this be any more embarassing? yet again less than 1% of their membership, and a poster with a campaign their leadership say they aren't supporting!

When you have such low attendance at protests, it just makes you look foolish. Certainly it doesn't imply there is great support for the campaign!

Interesting response from the League. ASpparently the ONLY reason they saw the Sky blues trust was because it wa arranged through supporter's direct - Just had confirmation from the league itself!

QUOTE:::

"Following a request from Supporters Direct, The Football League therefore considered it appropriate to meet representatives of the Sky Blue Trust."

So in other words, the trust hasn't actually achieved the meeting, supporters direct has!

How incompetent are these peopke and how disgraceful they latch onto others campaigns dress them up as their own, just to boosy their hyper-inflated egos!

The sooner people WAKE UP and realise the trust are doinbg NOTHING other than trying to boost membership the better!

THEY ARE JUST AS BAD AS SISU!
STILL will not say what they are going to do with the fighting fund they are accumulating - which was supposedly needed to fund buying the club!

That was dismissed pretty quickly! So their ENTIRE REASON FOR EXISTING is no longer there!

They are UTTERLY USELESSAND DO NOT REPRESENT THE FANS!

Nick

Administrator
I have just been informed that the media wanted the posters up but the Trust weren't that keen. I apologise for the assumption!

torchomatic

Just looked at the video on the Northants Chronicle and realised that I sit next to one of the ones who was there last night. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread