Match Thread Nottingham Forest (H) (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

What exactly are these mistakes that will cost goals that Sheafs performance was littered with yesterday?

Even the gimp behind me slagging him off only went off once after a misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch.

People need to get over this and start supporting the lad. He’s doing well.
Like the fact he’s mentioned that Gyokeres worked his socks off but conveniently ignored the fact that it was his misplaced pass which actually led to the goal.

or that Hamer isn’t even mentioned and he was woeful

COV

Dabo had to play there as Rose was not fit

The problem is we are fragile in squad depth. Kelly is probably in his last season at this level anyway and injury prone. Jones had to play wing back as the only other option is a 19 year old making his first appearance at this level

We have options upfront but very few capable replacements elsewhere in the team. Consider if McFazdean, Rose, O Hare were injured for the next game. The bench really had only 3 options you would want on the pitch and they were the ones who came on

a lot has been made of the defence being thin, but if we lost O’Hare for any period of time we would be in serious trouble.

COV

What exactly are these mistakes that will cost goals that Sheafs performance was littered with yesterday?

Even the gimp behind me slagging him off only went off once after a misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch.

sheaf is clearly our new scapegoat for some supporters where he has to put in world class performances otherwise he’ll be picked apart.

the same people don’t mention Hamer who was really poor in comparison.

Evo1883

I actually think both sheaf and hamer need to up their game from yesterday .

Neither were particularly good and both tried far too often to be clever rather than play simple.

But it's the first game and both will be better

covcity4life

Just rewatxhed the gsme. O hare tricky is just immense and so key to both goals. Let's hope we get promoted this season so he isn't poached! Wonder of him and bright coukd play dual and and 1 lone striker? Food for thought altho no need to change much for Barnsley bar rose for da Costa

Our passing play and switching of flanks was pretty st times. We need tocbe brave and keep going with it

olderskyblue

Sheaf had a couple of misplaced passes first half, but upped his game 2nd half and played well. hamer had more misplaced passes and only upped his game in the final 15 minutes.

Sheaf was the better player yesterday by quite a margin.

Mr Panda

On Hamer and Sheaf, I can forgive misplaced passes if they're trying to do something that can potentially drag us forward or create an opportunity.

So many times last season I was thinking where is the connection between midfield and our attacking line? We'd go some games literally not having a shot inside the opposition box. Our only outlet would be the odd occasion our wingbacks weren't pinned back and they'd have a chance to get forward.

I appreciated some of the balls Hamer tried zipping into the strikers feet or where Sheaf tried to play one or two beyond the defence. Little more care needed but let's not discourage the intent to be positive.

SIR ERNIE

I've said before that Sheaf has great potential and I'm pleased we signed him, he's a good prospect.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, you're being overly sensitive.

There was a gimp behind me cheering every time Sheaf touched it, was it you?

COV

I've said before that Sheaf has great potential and I'm pleased we signed him, he's a good prospect.

cheering our players- how dare they

shmmeee

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, just asking you to back up your ludicrous claim that his performance was not just littered with mistakes (it wasn’t) but that they were ones that would give away goals.

Reactions: COV

COV

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, just asking you to back up your ludicrous claim that his performance was not just littered with mistakes (it wasn’t) but that they were ones that would give away goals.

Forest were rarely a threat apart from the goal and a couple of half chances, and the match stats back that up, so how we can be saying this stuff about Sheaf is ridiculous.

And in true football fan style, what will happen now is some will go to greater lengths to try to prove he’s not all that good, others will go to greater lengths to try to prove he is very good and there’ll be no balance.

Brighton Sky Blue

Forest were rarely a threat apart from the goal and a couple of half chances, and the match stats back that up, so how we can be saying this stuff about Sheaf is ridiculous.

And in true football fan style, what will happen now is some will go to greater lengths to try to prove he’s not all that good, others will go to greater lengths to try to prove he is very good and there’ll be no balance.

The person behind me kept calling him Chef. Which he might well be actually

• Haha
Reactions: COV

Evo1883

Da Costa looked dire yesterday , not sure if its to do with dabo playing right centre half made him play different, but dabo looked light years ahead of him second half

covcity4life

Is it me or did Jones look a lot stronger and more confident than when he came back from injury previously? Didn’t look fazed at all by the occasion or the Championship and just buzzing to get going. Really pleasing to see.
How amazing for him to be o pitch to experience and contribute to the comeback. He has had to watch alot of magical moments from sidelines last few seasons

shmmeee

Jones looked like a fan out there, in a good way, screaming with excitement after the win, kissing his badge, etc. Not saying he didn’t look like a pro footballer 😂

PVA

a lot has been made of the defence being thin, but if we lost O’Hare for any period of time we would be in serious trouble.

It’s true he’d be a huge loss, but you could argue that Bright and Jones would be better replacements for O’Hare than Drysdale or Pask would be for one of the defenders.

Esoterica

On Hamer and Sheaf, I can forgive misplaced passes if they're trying to do something that can potentially drag us forward or create an opportunity.

So many times last season I was thinking where is the connection between midfield and our attacking line? We'd go some games literally not having a shot inside the opposition box. Our only outlet would be the odd occasion our wingbacks weren't pinned back and they'd have a chance to get forward.

I appreciated some of the balls Hamer tried zipping into the strikers feet or where Sheaf tried to play one or two beyond the defence. Little more care needed but let's not discourage the intent to be positive.
A large part of the problem yesterday in the first half was the wingbacks not being consistently available to the midfield 2 for 15 metre progressive passes so that we could build play - the wingbacks were getting on the ball in our own third or overlapping the strikers in the final 3rd but not in the middle of the park. Without that this whole formation breaks down when the game is still tight and space at a premium, especially when Forest had 3 in the middle.
Our fans often watch games and say 'X is playing shit' after a couple of bad passes but there doesn't seem to be much appreciation of what the opposition are doing, and what our other players aren't or should be doing, to enable them in that role. Consequently Waghorn and Gyo were either pulling wide into space and having too much to do or dropping too deep looking for the ball.

Once we got Rose on, the back 3 were solid again, Dabo was far superior to Dacosta at RWB and Forest were so knackered by the time Maatsen came off that Jones was essentially able to play as a left winger and we started to dominate because we had the right options when Hamer and Sheaf got on the ball.

Hamer is a very talented player but he is also naive in those situations and tries to force the game too much. Instead of keeping possession and bollocking his team mates for not being where he needs them, he'll try to manufacture a 40 metre pass into one of the strikers feet.

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Massive shout out to the fan's today, an absolutely fantastic atmosphere, I was staggered by the support especially whilst we were losing.
Shame I couldn't be there, but Whitby knew the Sky Blue Army was in town.
PUSB

But some people say the Ricoh, sorry the CBS Arena is soulless.

Warwickhunt

Sheaf was ok just a bit annoying when he is trying to pass through the opposition player and it gets intercepted. he needs Hamer a bit closer to him so that he can start to get space he is looking for. Hamer needs to be more selective with his Hollywood Balls.

skybluejelly

Been watching a replay of forests goal and clearly dabo would have got to the ball first he hadn’t tripped , but can’t make out if it was a divot , the penalty spot or he just tripped or that the pitch is already cutting up after one game

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Been watching a replay of forests goal and clearly dabo would have got to the ball first he hadn’t tripped , but can’t make out if it was a divot , the penalty spot or he just tripped or that the pitch is already cutting up after one game
Bloody egg chuckers! :mad:

Telfer85

I’ve seen some analysis today that said forest carved us open at will in the first half which I thought was a bit strong. I certainly agree they were the better team first half but I didn’t think they were loads better than us.
They had the goal, another shot Taylor had and the Johnson shot which Moore saved really well.
However we also got into positions where we should have done a lot better with our end product. Da Costa and Mattsen got in a couple of times down the wings but couldn’t pick anyone out and both o’hare and hamer had drives at the goal where they should have done better. Forest need to do additional recruitment just as much as we do.

COV

I’ve seen some analysis today that said forest carved us open at will in the first half which I thought was a bit strong. I certainly agree they were the better team first half but I didn’t think they were loads better than us.
They had the goal, another shot Taylor had and the Johnson shot which Moore saved really well.
However we also got into positions where we should have done a lot better with our end product. Da Costa and Mattsen got in a couple of times down the wings but couldn’t pick anyone out and both o’hare and hamer had drives at the goal where they should have done better. Forest need to do additional recruitment just as much as we do.

I don’t think they were the better team, they were just less crap

looking back at it they were out on their feet or a poor side, probably a combination of both

PVA

looking back at it they were out on their feet or a poor side, probably a combination of both

Elements of that, plus Hughton just being incredibly negative.

They are not an attacking side at the best of times and certainly not when 1-0 up.

They have some good players there, but Hughton just has them set up so negatively.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hughton is getting a good kicking on a Forest page that just popped up on Facebook, he is so negative and his sides are always crap to watch.

Hobo

Looked to me like he was going to play ball with left foot and realised he might score own goal and tried to pull out. Then toe/studs caught turf and he tumbled.

Defenders worst nightmare trying to deal with a cross facing their own goal.

SkyBlueTam

I actually think both sheaf and hamer need to up their game from yesterday .

Neither were particularly good and both tried far too often to be clever rather than play simple.

But it's the first game and both will be better

Hamer was involved in both goals.

SlowerThanPlatt

Is it me or did Jones look a lot stronger and more confident than when he came back from injury previously? Didn’t look fazed at all by the occasion or the Championship and just buzzing to get going. Really pleasing to see.

A nice message for him - in an interview Jodi did with the club he said Callum Wilson also sent him a video of support when he did it again

Mucca Mad Boys

An injury time winner makes things look better too. In the course of the season, this is a game we should have won given last session and their build up to it. It was our transfer business that caused Dabo to be playing centre back and DaCosta on the pitch... and that nearly cost us that opportunity.

We need that centre back in sharpish. An injury time winner papers over that, and Forest's appalling build up also masked Jones at Lwb. Happy to see him back, delighted he got through it, but even the biggest fan probably doesn't want to see him there too often!

I think Robins was trying something by putting Dabo at centre back. He was marking their number 17 who looked lively in the first half. It didn’t really work because Dabo can’t really head the ball and got caught on the wrong side of his man which lead to a Forest half chance. DaCosta wasn’t playing particularly well so that’s why Rose was introduced so quickly.

We definitely need 2-3 signings to finish the window, and Robins certainly won’t be complacent, either.

What is fair, however, is that our recruitment hasn’t been that bad and we’ve got a young side who are developing and getting better together.

NortonSkyBlue

I think Robins was trying something by putting Dabo at centre back. He was marking their number 17 who looked lively in the first half. It didn’t really work because Dabo can’t really head the ball and got caught on the wrong side of his man which lead to a Forest half chance. DaCosta wasn’t playing particularly well so that’s why Rose was introduced so quickly.

We definitely need 2-3 signings to finish the window, and Robins certainly won’t be complacent, either.

What is fair, however, is that our recruitment hasn’t been that bad and we’ve got a young side who are developing and getting better together.
Dabo was fine, the spin on the ball would have caught any defender out. You can’t pin that on him.

Users who are viewing this thread