Officials (1 Viewer)

Frostie

So I was at a referee development session last night and the national league ref said that if there is a cynical foul and you play on the caution doesn’t happen

if you stop play then it does
My lad and I thought this must be wrong but I’m thinking about it now and it is to encourage teams to take advantage of the situation I think rather than complain at the tackle

We are checking but that was exactly what was said which would explain the scenario above and mean we were the numptys not the ref
Yeah, that's kind of correct but it is more nuanced than most realise. For example if the foul was trying to stop a counter-attack or similar then yes, no need to issue a yellow card as by playing advantage the offender hasn't succeeding in preventing the attack.
In certain other situations though you would still issue a card.

EDIT:
Sorry Pete, just seen you have already posted the relevant part from LOTG.

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah, that's kind of correct but it is more nuanced than most realise. For example if the foul was trying to stop a counter-attack or similar then yes, no need to issue a yellow card as by playing advantage the offender hasn't succeeding in preventing the attack.
In certain other situations though you would still issue a card.
Just put the law above and it’s exactly what you’re saying and exactly what happened a couple of times last night

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So I was at a referee development session last night and the national league ref said that if there is a cynical foul and you play on the caution doesn’t happen

if you stop play then it does
My lad and I thought this must be wrong but I’m thinking about it now and it is to encourage teams to take advantage of the situation I think rather than complain at the tackle

We are checking but that was exactly what was said which would explain the scenario above and mean we were the numptys not the ref
Surely teams would be more encouraged to take advantage of the situation if they know the foul will receive the proper punishment as well?

Say early in the game, you'd often be better off getting the player booked and them walking a tightrope for the rest of the game. Very few advatnages actually result in goals.

robbiethemole

Well, we've got the wonderful David Webb to look forward to at t'udders, God knows what he'll be like, does give a lot of penalties.

Sky Blue Pete

Surely teams would be more encouraged to take advantage of the situation if they know the foul will receive the proper punishment as well?

Say early in the game, you'd often be better off getting the player booked and them walking a tightrope for the rest of the game. Very few advatnages actually result in goals.
I don’t write the laws

it’s not a yellow if advantage is played

Sky Blue Harry H

So, if an opposition player is through on goal, can Fadz two foot one or maybe two of their better players with impunity, as the ref says it's an advantage to the opposition to let play carry on?!?!?!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don’t write the laws

it’s not a yellow if advantage is played
Wasn't aimed at you specifically, just you posted the rile

Just pointing out that if that is the position then why would a player take th advantage when they'd be much better off stopping and getting the player booked.

Even if play has continued as therefore the player has failed to disrupt or whatever, it an have a small effect on a player's balance, spped, acceleration etc and just that split second could be the difference between scoring and not.

It should be a booking regardless.

Sky Blue Pete

Wasn't aimed at you specifically, just you posted the rile

Just pointing out that if that is the position then why would a player take th advantage when they'd be much better off stopping and getting the player booked.

Even if play has continued as therefore the player has failed to disrupt or whatever, it an have a small effect on a player's balance, spped, acceleration etc and just that split second could be the difference between scoring and not.

It should be a booking regardless.
I know but that’s not what the law says about a foul in a promising position

I’m just trying to help people not get too upset when a ref follows the laws of the game

Brighton Sky Blue

No if it’s a dogso it’s still a yellow if an advantage is played
Youtube Dog GIF

stupot07

I've no problem with the ref. making the decision.The incident in front of the main stand when the ref was unsighted all it needed was"i didn't see it" from the ref "x put it out " from the linesman.The way he allowed the shenanigans with our free kick near the end before finaly booking Wilson and the diving by both sides which went unpunished.No control.

It's not helped that players show very little honesty, appealing every decision, trying to con the ref to gain any little advantage. The incident you mention in front of the stand is a prime example, it was clear to all that it had come off Palmer last and was Sunderland's throw in, but Palmer appealed and held onto the ball, knowing it has come off him last.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

kg82

Here it is from loaf - laws of association football

what an arse headed law

Advantage

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.
Well, this is completely backwards! All anybody wants is consistency in refereeing, and then they write it into the rules to be anything but!

Nick

Administrator
Let's face it, we all know the Sunday League player who calls the ref a c**t for being awful is to blame.

shmmeee

For me should be a simple rule: anything that’s not a genuine attempt to get the ball should be a yellow. Shirt pulling, cynical leg chops, arguably all hand balls. And throw in walking away with the ball when it’s not your set piece, with an instant red if you then throw the ball away.

OK maybe not that last one.

shmmeee

It made a mockery of it Saturday, player fouled (badly), but ref plays on as Vik has the ball on the half way line, he is then surrounded by 5 or 6 Sunderland players and has no support, so where's the advantage in that

Genuine Q when the ref plays advantage can you just stop and take the free kick?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think the old adage " play to the whistle" is the answer
But if you deliberately choose not to take the advantage surely the ref can't just them continue the game saying he gave you the advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread