Old and New Supporters (1 Viewer)

theferret

Can't help but agree with you. Depressing, corporate, soulless... even the name of the bloody place is everything a football ground shouldn't be to me, emphasised by a massive white wall directing TV to that for maximum exposure!

Don't think we're alone either given the number of threads bitching about it over the years either. Doesn't mean I don't want the club back in the right place however...

I don't know anyone who likes it; but perhaps that's because I have no mates.

It is scruffy, bleak and windswept, the whole area is depressing in the extreme. I hate the King Power (the stadium) but at least they built it next to Filbert Street and you can walk to the town centre, train station and countless pubs. Anyway, pointless discussion because we all agree we should be there.

theferret

I'm always defensive when people make vague generic remarks but are adamant that its truthful.

I'm interested to know what the builders missed out when constructing the Ricoh that they didn't at the Walkers or St Marys?

No, I didn't say it was the truth, I said it was an opinion.

bigfatronssba

...with a downward trend.

The quantitative doesn't explain the qualitative.

There was also a downward trend at HR up to the end of the 04/05 season when everyone paid it a final visit.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I've been to them all with the exception of Brighton and Rotherham. They are all shit, but just a little less shit than the Ricoh.

Why are you so defensive anyway? It's just an opinion about a building, and I said I'd love for us to be playing there more than anything else.

Because its ours by that I mean Coventys,which happens to be where I live AND where the football club that I support should be playing. Because over the past thirty odd years I've seen big business and various governments try to destroy this city and I've had enough of people slagging it off. The Ricoh is something everybody in the city should be proud of football supporter or not there are clubs in the premiership never mind lower leagues who would give anything to have such a ground. What about us? Half of us are salivating over a poor lower capacity new ground out of the city ffs. Well not me.

bigfatronssba

No, I didn't say it was the truth, I said it was an opinion.

Ok, I apologise for putting words in your mouth.

However I still stand by my claim that attendances were consistently higher at the Ricoh than HR, and that is really the only gauge of opinion we can use.

bigfatronssba

Because its ours by that I mean Coventys,which happens to be where I live AND where the football club that I support should be playing. Because over the past thirty odd years I've seen big business and various governments try to destroy this city and I've had enough of people slagging it off. The Ricoh is something everybody in the city should be proud of football supporter or not there are clubs in the premiership never mind lower leagues who would give anything to have such a ground. What about us? Half of us are salivating over a poor lower capacity new ground out of the city ffs. Well not me.

Not half of us. Just a few fools.

GaryPendrysEyes

Downward trend is all about poor performance on the pitch - and we had years of it. You would hope a business owner would look to progressively improve and grow, to realise the potential which is there- and have a stadium to reflect that.

theferret

But that is not what we were discussing. I am an extremely proud Coventrian, and will often defend the city against criticism (much of which is unwarranted). I was just responding to the comment that said it is "one of the finest football stadiums in the country". I disagree with that, I think it is a terrible place to watch football, but clearly 100% better than where we are playing at the moment.

bigfatronssba

Again, the fatal mistake is to disregard the qualitative exclusively for the quantitative.

Numbers never tell everything.

Well without referring to what some bloke in the pub said, what basis do you claim HR (as a structure) was more popular than the Ricoh?

even though I don't think the ricoh is great I'd still have it back with a snap of my fingers

bigfatronssba

Downward trend is all about poor performance on the pitch - and we had years of it. You would hope a business owner would look to progressively improve and grow, to realise the potential which is there- and have a stadium to reflect that.

The downward trend wasn't as much as people make out anyway.

To average 15k in a relegation season, the clubs worst in at least 50 years is marvellous for a club the size of CCFC.

NorthernWisdom

Also to do with the wider issues of personalisation, identity...

The fact what's more important for the wider world to see is a massive sign saying RICOH on a corporate side of the ground where every bugger goes inside (always looks empty even if the ground's more full than not!), and this is more important than the bloody fans who support the club, well to me that says everything about the disenfranchisement of fan v business. Then we had the issues of getting our own badge on our own stadium, lack of desire to remember the past and cup wins and successes, years before even Jimmy popped up to remind us of the past...

But at least it's got the right colour seats, better them than maroon...

bigfatronssba

Also to do with the wider issues of personalisation, identity...

The fact what's more important for the wider world to see is a massive sign saying RICOH on a corporate side of the ground where every bugger goes inside (always looks empty even if the ground's more full than not!), and this is more important than the bloody fans who support the club, well to me that says everything about the disenfranchisement of fan v business. Then we had the issues of getting our own badge on our own stadium, lack of desire to remember the past and cup wins and successes, years before even Jimmy popped up to remind us of the past...

But at least it's got the right colour seats, better them than maroon...

But that's nothing to do with the actual structure. Your argument is like the people on those house buying TV programmes who wont buy a house because of the colour of the walls.

Im not saying the Ricoh is perfect, but the building, the actual structure is one of the best in football. All the issues you have brought up are more to do with how the ground is operated, not how its built.

NorthernWisdom

But that's nothing to do with the actual structure. Your argument is like the people on those house buying TV programmes who wont buy a house because of the colour of the walls.

Im not saying the Ricoh is perfect, but the building, the actual structure is one of the best in football. All the issues you have brought up are more to do with how the ground is operated, not how its built.

Not really, a massive great corporate stand down one side is pretty fundamental to the structure of it!

Not just a soulless bowl like most modern grounds, but a soulless bowl with an empty stand!

jesus-wept

I quite like the MK Dons stadium, would fit perfectly on the old Courtaulds site !

bigfatronssba

Not really, a massive great corporate stand down one side is pretty fundamental to the structure of it!

Not just a soulless bowl like most modern grounds, but a soulless bowl with an empty stand!

So you would rather 4 identical stands?

I hate that look. The Ricoh's saving grace is having at least one unique stand.

ecky

I quite like the MK Dons stadium, would fit perfectly on the old Courtaulds site !

i thought the mk stadium was brilliant, i liked the open concourse and the upper tier all round, great stadium..shame their fanbase is poor

bigfatronssba

Nice inside.

Hated how it looked on the outside. Back on the corporate area looks like an apartment block.

NorthernWisdom

So you would rather 4 identical stands?

I hate that look. The Ricoh's saving grace is having at least one unique stand.

I'd rather a ground with character, as opposed to a generic flat pack in a bleak, desolate part of the city picked solely to 'regenerate' an area rather than because it was best for the football club, where considerations are the people inside rather than how many can see a sign from the M6!

ecky

I'd rather a ground with character, as opposed to a generic flat pack in a bleak, desolate part of the city picked solely to 'regenerate' an area rather than because it was best for the football club, where considerations are the people inside rather than how many can see a sign from the M6!

rather the ricoh where it is than where our old ground was? got to move on northern...ricoh pay alot of money for sponsorship, i think their deal ends soon i wonder whose name will be on the outside then/

bigfatronssba

Again, location has nothing to do with the building. HR was on the edge of the city (Swan Lane was the boundary) when it was built surrounded by fields.

Character isn't something that's built. Its something that builds up over decades. No new ground has character.

Delboycov

Take it you've seen the New York stadium then?

You mean the one that's in Rotherham....not miles away from the town the club takes it's name from? Why the feck would any real CCFC fan be rejoicing about building a tinpot 12,000 capacity stadium, resigning us to years of further mediocrity or worse, being built more than likely miles outside of our city. Unless of course they're just a wum trying to get the rise out of genuine fans who are passionate about our club being successful and playing in a city we're so proud of and not aspiring to be a lower league joke of a club planning for failure.....

bigfatronssba

Attachments

• ricoh-arena-589510796-2968557.jpg
    ricoh-arena-589510796-2968557.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread