One of the major differences i've noticed. (1 Viewer)

Maaaaaardy

Admittedly I went into Wigan assuming we'd get smashed, we are Coventry City after all! But I thought i'd raise something which I find quite interesting. I've gone back and found our team line up from the second game of last season (The first game v Bradford isn't on BBC any more!) and I just have a weird feeling that this could be explained by the pedigree of the players. First, the game v Sheffield United which we funnily won:

• 23 Allsop - Loanee who didn't really give a toss about City.
  • 02 Willis - A year less experience
  • 04 Webster - Awful, weak mentality
  • 05 Johnson - Best player in the team, by default
  • 24 Clarke - Kamikaze, terrible footballer
  • 07 Fleck (C Thomas - 84' ) - Played in the wrong position as a deep CM, Thomas scapegoat
  • 10 Swanson (Daniels - 75' ) - What can you say...
  • 11 O'Brien - Also good, but ran about aimlessly too much, didn't trust the team around him
  • 26 Haynes - Started off well but faded, too young for a sustained run
  • 09 McQuoid (Miller - 63' ) - Loanee who didn't give a toss, not up to standard
  • 20 Tudgay - Didn't have a good season.

Manager: Pressley, couldn't get them playing at all, bought in a load of crap, tactically inept. Not any previous history of success as a manager and arguably too tough on the younger players. Overall it was a team with basically no winners, one leader who badly let us down a manager who failed to sustain a winning mentality and made some awful transfers.

Now we'll take the Wigan game from Saturday and our team:

• 01 Burge - Young, yes, but cares about the club and has improved rapidly. Upgrade.
  • 02 Willis (Phillips - 45' ) - Willis probably should play CB but isn't bad at RB, Phillips is class. Upgrade.
  • 18 Ricketts - Born leader, high quality, winning mentality. Huge upgrade.
  • 05 Johnson - Looks miles better with Ricketts next to him, when focused on defending is a colossal player. Standard.
  • 03 Stokes - Getting better with each game, loves it at City and is a safer bet than Clarke. Upgrade.
  • 08 Lameiras (Morris - 75' ) - Classy, big lightweight but when he fills out can be a big player. Too good for this league. Upgrade.
  • 04 Vincelot Booked - Winner, star player in the great Orient team that should of been promoted. Leader. Upgrade.
  • 07 Fleck Booked - Much better further up the pitch, has that bit of quality. New role means upgrade on last year.
  • 11 O'Brien (G Thomas - 79' ) - Less silly needless running, more faith in the team, new role, this is the O'Brien we want. Upgrade.
  • 10 Maddison - Again, top quality. This or Swanson you have to be joking. Plays without fear although tad lightweight is clever enough to not let it hamper him. Upgrade.
  • 09 Armstrong - Way above this level, no fear, can actually finish. We were so, so lucky. Huge upgrade.

Now, the point being that basically we have more players who care, more players with quality (a couple above this league), more leaders and crucially, more winners. The winning mentality is huge and people like Ricketts and Vincelot don't want to lose, and that breeds confidence especially in the younger players. I'm not saying we're winning the league, or play offs even. Anything can happen, but it just reminded me of Southampton last year. Didn't just add players, they added players who had won things and had mentalities where they weren't used to losing. That's what I feel we have a lot more this year than last, and I hope the lads kick on!

Oh, and having a manager who can actually set the team up with a plan might help a bit too...:whistle:

PUSB!

Sky Blue Jack

Couldn't agree more, more young and hungry talented players each with a point to prove, with a solid and experienced backline and central midfield. As you said as well, more players that actually care about the club they're playing for. For the first time in a long time I felt like every player knew exactly what was required of them, something I could never say watching us under Pressley. Long may it continue!

Nick

Administrator
Every second ball was challenged for and everything was chased down, it got the fans going.

Not to mention vincelot and fleck putting some tough tackles in!

matesx

left the Ricoh wanting more!

couldv watched them all evening!

hamil99

Facebook User
Having a manager with good tactical brain helps so much. Could you imagine SP trying something completely different like a 4-2-4 formation, not in a million years, he would stick to the same shape and hope the players did something. No wonder O'Brien ran around aimlessly, he wasn't given any instruction!!!

Astute

The major difference is between SP and TM. The rest of it is just cause and effect.

Juggernaut

A fair amount of bollocks spoke there. Loan players just not giving a toss, how do you work that one out? Not good enough maybe, but most loan players care. They go out on loan to gain form, to earn contracts elsewhere. Course they care.

Maaaaaardy

A fair amount of bollocks spoke there. Loan players just not giving a toss, how do you work that one out? Not good enough maybe, but most loan players care. They go out on loan to gain form, to earn contracts elsewhere. Course they care.

Well, I never saw McQuoid, Coulibaly or Allsopp look like they cared whatsoever during their time here. Allsopp was best of three but it was always coming out his missus was unhappy, and whenever we lost he didn't really seem overly bothered. Towards the end of his spell he looked better but that was more because he was clearly desperate to stay at BMouth after they looked like they were going into the PL.

However, and this was an awful day, when Burge was sent off v Worcester he looked absolutely fucking crushed. Tears, passion, he knew he messed up and was nearly inconsolable. Yes, he made a huge mistake but at the end of the day he was young and still is, and that's the passionate guy I want playing in the shirt. Not somebody who's come here for six months and looks like they don't mind losing or conceding a goal. That's my point, regardless of if you agree with it. And lots of people seem like they're with me here, but fair enough buddy!

I've not been to a game for a good while. Didn't attend one at all last season, but reading this seems so one sided. One good result and you are comparing attitudes of players from a whole season vs one good match.

It's great to be positive for once, but if I didn't know I'd say this was written by a Cov fan and not an unbiased person.

Burge has been flaky all pre-season and most seem to be worried about him, all of a sudden he's improving quick and an upgrade on last season???

Maaaaaardy

I've not been to a game for a good while. Didn't attend one at all last season, but reading this seems so one sided. One good result and you are comparing attitudes of players from a whole season vs one good match.

It's great to be positive for once, but if I didn't know I'd say this was written by a Cov fan and not an unbiased person.

Burge has been flaky all pre-season and most seem to be worried about him, all of a sudden he's improving quick and an upgrade on last season???

It's not one sided, and I never said the team was great. My point was the mentality of the players is different. It's a team which has removed the weak links (Webster and Clarke stand out) and bought in people who have a calmer, more experienced head and people who are proven winners in the case of a couple. I'm not saying the team is full of world class players, or that the Championship is on the horizon, but more that we have a platform now.

I know it sounds overly positive, however when there's so much negativity on this website a small bit of positive light can seem overbearing buddy! Burge is learning, not the finished article. But he's gaining experience all the time and he's not made a "major" mistake in a good few months, was also tidy enough towards the end of last season. At the end of the day if I was going to have a loan GK who's Allsopp's age, or a GK who plays for us, contracted to us and loves the club, i'll take Burge. Especially as he seems a LOT more composed in goal than he did 9 months ago.

Certainly not getting carried away, but I think we could deal with a loss better than recent years, where we would lose a game unluckily and have that as a launching pad to lose 5 more!

BlueElephant

I totally agree with everything you've said Mardy, always the certain few who will try and put a negative spin on anything positive. Keep it up lad

mrtrench

Re op, not lucky at all to have Armstrong. Mowbray has waited for the right players :)

Maaaaaardy

Wise words mate.
Wonder what you'll say once we've lost a few...

We'll cross that road when we come to it. I will be back to talk (Whether I talk sense is personal opinion!) when that does happen though.

Just enjoy it guys! Just throwing in my two cents, after all this is a place to discuss the club, right!?

ajsccfc

Well, I never saw McQuoid, Coulibaly or Allsopp look like they cared whatsoever during their time here. Allsopp was best of three but it was always coming out his missus was unhappy, and whenever we lost he didn't really seem overly bothered.

What did you want him to do? People react differently to different things. If Burge is almost in tears that's nice and all, but if another player isn't it doesn't mean they care less.

Moff

We'll cross that road when we come to it. I will be back to talk (Whether I talk sense is personal opinion!) when that does happen though.

Just enjoy it guys! Just throwing in my two cents, after all this is a place to discuss the club, right!?

I like the positivity, and the honest thoughts, and agree with a lot of what you said. Keep it up!

Just ignore some of the miserable bastards on here who just seem to moan despite a win, and seem to look like they would rather we lost as to see how posters would react to it. :facepalm:

ajsccfc

Surely ignoring people who aren't just agreeing with every word goes against the idea of a discussion forum as opposed to a read-only high five emporium.

I mean like the OP I was both surprised and thrilled by the win and agree with a lot of his stuff, but not necessarily about the loan players not caring, I just think they weren't up to scratch. I don't think that or passion or whatever is or will be the difference, it's more that Mowbray has a better idea of what he's doing which hopefully comes across to the team he puts out.

Last edited:

wince

I think the point should be , that waggot brought in the likes of the bournemouth 3 , T.M is bringing in his own choice players .even if they are not his first choice players, That to me is the difference between an experienced manager and a young manager at this club

H

Huckerby

Every second ball was challenged for and everything was chased down, it got the fans going.

Not to mention vincelot and fleck putting some tough tackles in!
Did you see Armstrong chase down every single ball they passed to the keeper. And even maddison was getting stuck in I saw him go through someone. Loved it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kg82

Did you see Armstrong chase down every single ball they passed to the keeper. And even maddison was getting stuck in I saw him go through someone. Loved it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He did that a few times. He may have pulled out of a couple, but if he gets stuck in more than not, that's good with me!
I'm looking forward to Armstrong's hat-trick this Saturday!

Chipfat

This is where TM is an upgrade to SP, he has patience to build a squad with the players that fit his ethic and style.. I dont believe in formation as much as i do structure, a player needs to know when and where to be on the field depending on the balls position, with or without the ball.. This makes players like OB run in the correct areas and run at the right time, limiting his work and passing on responability instead of running across responability..

TM will make all these players think more to make them make better decisions, also make them work for each other economically,,giving more energy throughout the team.. He will handle players better with recovery betweens games and show belief in those picked to step in. This is a fantastic start and all involved should take credit,, long season, more players coming in and confidence in and around the club seems to be turning.. Sad thing is though we are one result away from reality,, work must carry on for results to continue which allows fans to come back and pay to watch...

TM will end up being SW finest signing im pretty confident in that...

Astute

This is where TM is an upgrade to SP, he has patience to build a squad with the players that fit his ethic and style.. I dont believe in formation as much as i do structure, a player needs to know when and where to be on the field depending on the balls position, with or without the ball.. This makes players like OB run in the correct areas and run at the right time, limiting his work and passing on responability instead of running across responability..

TM will make all these players think more to make them make better decisions, also make them work for each other economically,,giving more energy throughout the team.. He will handle players better with recovery betweens games and show belief in those picked to step in. This is a fantastic start and all involved should take credit,, long season, more players coming in and confidence in and around the club seems to be turning.. Sad thing is though we are one result away from reality,, work must carry on for results to continue which allows fans to come back and pay to watch...

TM will end up being SW finest signing im pretty confident in that...

And being able to talk good experienced players like Ricketts to come to our club makes his job a lot easier.

Moff

Surely ignoring people who aren't just agreeing with every word goes against the idea of a discussion forum as opposed to a read-only high five emporium.

I mean like the OP I was both surprised and thrilled by the win and agree with a lot of his stuff, but not necessarily about the loan players not caring, I just think they weren't up to scratch. I don't think that or passion or whatever is or will be the difference, it's more that Mowbray has a better idea of what he's doing which hopefully comes across to the team he puts out.

Re your second paragraph, I wasnt attempting to cover that in my post addressed to Maardy. Thats your debate not mine.

What I was trying to point out is that there are a small minority of posters who seem to moan, and argue despite any positive note to do with the club. Yes SISU are bad, yes we would all rather be in a higher league owning our own ground, with wealthy caring owners, we are all pretty agreed on that, but it isnt reality, and so when we do have some sucess or positivity in what have been rather barren times there are still some that continually bleat.

If those people piss me off I ignore them, thats me, because I am just sick of it, it pisses me off. I dont recall saying per se ignore everyone and have a high five fest did I? I also dont recall saying that I thought you should ignore people who dont agree with every word. Nice bit of twisting there.

If people argue their point with a bit of rationality and I can see where they are coming from then yes I can underestand their negativity, but if they just fucking moan then I cant really see the point, and move on to something that does interest me.

stupot07

What makes you say Allsop didn't give a toss?

I know, bonkers.

This also make me laugh.

07 Fleck (C Thomas - 84' ) - Played in the wrong position as a deep CM, Thomas scapegoat

07 Fleck Booked - Much better further up the pitch, has that bit of quality. New role means upgrade on last year.

He was still playing the deep CM role, he didn't venture past the half way line in the first and only 1-2 times (inc. the good assist) in the second. We are playing 424(0) so both of our CM were deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

stupot07

And

03 Stokes - Getting better with each game, loves it at City and is a safer bet than Clarke. Upgrade.

Clarke wasn't a left back so how is stokes an upgrade on a right wing back? Is he an upgrade on Haynes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ajsccfc

What I was trying to point out is that there are a small minority of posters who seem to moan, and argue despite any positive note to do with the club. Yes SISU are bad, yes we would all rather be in a higher league owning our own ground, with wealthy caring owners, we are all pretty agreed on that, but it isnt reality, and so when we do have some sucess or positivity in what have been rather barren times there are still some that continually bleat.

There certainly are, but I don't think that was really prevalent in this thread. It's the 'we're definitely losing, I'll come back and say I told you so after' kind of posts that reek the place out for me, but I wouldn't really class anything in this thread (yet) as being that kind of razorblades to wrists kind of bleating.

And yeah sorry, most of my post wasn't aimed at you at all so much as me going on a tangent within the same post.

Last edited:

stupot07

A great result and performance on sat, but less asses in another 7-8 games as to how good the team and squad is. The biggest plus is Mowbrays tactical nous.

Maaaaaardy

And

03 Stokes - Getting better with each game, loves it at City and is a safer bet than Clarke. Upgrade.

Clarke wasn't a left back so how is stokes an upgrade on a right wing back? Is he an upgrade on Haynes?

He's better than both as a full back. Is that really questionable? I do like Haynes though i'll admit, before he completely lost his confidence that is. And Fleck would never of nicked the ball and set up that second goal last season, he has the quality to do that and for me, i'd like to see more of it!

Users who are viewing this thread