Our Finishing (1 Viewer)

higgs

Max improved a lot towards the end of last season his finishing got a lot better the second leg against Notts county he was excellent. I think he would have at least the same amount of goals if not more that our other strikers this season if he wasn't injured. Surely he's no worse that what we have up front now what do others think?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

Confidence seems a issue in front of goal, that can be as temporary or longstanding and why strikers tend to end up moving from club to club at this level till a good season, or a managers system fits and all the pieces line up occasionally.

To much hope was put on Chaplin for my liking under the circumstances just like he’s probably putting to much expectation on himself to have a better scoring return.

In Chaplin’s defence tho we’re not playing to his strengths, and asking him to adapt to play in a different way and set up to what he’s been used to and productive playing at Portsmouth
Add that to the fact he’s likely growing and adapting as much off the pitch as he is on it the past few months living away from familiar surroundings and moving away to a club with the pressure of replacing a man who fired us to promotion under a fair price tag too. Because of that price tag in L1 the wider expectation is immediate goals. It’s not guaranteed

It’s a lot of pressure for a young man, it doesn’t mean it won’t happen for him it just needs time to grow off the pitch as a young man, develop his game on the pitch added with the right ingredients for him to flourish. That might be in one or two transfer windows time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

Confidence seems a issue in front of goal, that can be as temporary or longstanding and why strikers tend to end up moving from club to club at this level till a good season, or a managers system fits and all the pieces line up occasionally.

To much hope was put on Chaplin for my liking under the circumstances just like he’s probably putting to much expectation on himself to have a better scoring return.

In Chaplin’s defence tho we’re not playing to his strengths, and asking him to adapt to play in a different way and set up to what he’s been used to and productive playing at Portsmouth
Add that to the fact he’s likely growing and adapting as much off the pitch as he is on it the past few months living away from familiar surroundings and moving away to a club with the pressure of replacing a man who fired us to promotion under a fair price tag too. Because of that price tag in L1 the wider expectation is immediate goals. It’s not guaranteed

It’s a lot of pressure for a young man, it doesn’t mean it won’t happen for him it just needs time to grow off the pitch as a young man, develop his game on the pitch added with the right ingredients for him to flourish. That might be in one or two transfer windows time

I don't understand how were not playing to Chaplins strengths?? He's a striker who is playing up front in a 442 formation. If we weren't playing to his strengths then surely he wouldn't get ANY chance in a game at all, but how many sitters, chances and one on ones has he scuppered? He's had (and missed) chance after chance, yet were not playing to his strengths?!?!
If you truly believe that, then what exactly are his strengths?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

higgs

I don't understand how were not playing to Chaplins strengths?? He's a striker who is playing up front in a 442 formation. If we weren't playing to his strengths then surely he wouldn't get ANY chance in a game at all, but how many sitters, chances and one on ones has he scuppered? He's had (and missed) chance after chance, yet were not playing to his strengths?!?!

Has he had many chances in the last 5 games that he has missed?

pastythegreat

Has he had many chances in the last 5 games that he has missed?

Oh that's it then, debate over because he hasn't had chances in the last few, the 20 games before hand where he missed sitters left right and centre.
A season is won and lost over the last 5 games

johnwillomagic

I think JCH & Baka coulld work well as a front two with Thomas on one wing and I think Chaplin could be decent on the other wing tbh.
Against Charlton Chaplin got down the side and played a great cross for Baka goal.

I actually think Chaplin would get more goals and assists from out wide personally.

higgs

Oh that's it then, debate over because he hasn't had chances in the last few, the 20 games before hand where he missed sitters left right and centre.
A season is won and lost over the last 5 games

I don't think he has had much chances that he has missed lately what's more worrying is that as a striker he's not even getting into the position to miss them. I'd be the first to say I don't think he's worth 500k I think pompey would have been lucky to get 200k for him considering he was in the last yr of his contract

pastythegreat

I don't think he has had much chances that he has missed lately what's more worrying is that as a striker he's not even getting into the position to miss them. I'd be the first to say I don't think he's worth 500k I think pompey would have been lucky to get 200k for him considering he was in the last yr of his contract

I agree, he's never worth £500k. Was dreadfully handled by Robins. He showed his hand far too early and came across desperate. He played straight into Pompeys hands who just had to name their price, then play hard to get, up the price and wait.

steve82

It’s for all to see he’s a striker who be more natural to play off the shoulder and off a natural 6’2”+ target man who opens the space for a player like Chaplin to be more a predator in the 18 yard box.
In this set up he’s more often than not being asked to drop into the hole in between where we’ve no one is occupying the space therefore a more deeper centrally 4411 set up.

It’s also for all to see he’s lost a lot of confidence over the last 2 months from when he arrived and he must feel like he’s not getting the best out of himself in the areas he’s mostly deployed in or amount of service given per game to what he’s used to so he’s got to grow as a player for it and come through a difficult time, pressure is on him and he’s got to learn to handle and manage that too.

He’s taken a huge hit in confidence off the back of missing some 1v1’s or half scuffles but just like JCH has missed this season too in 1v1 situations. The confidence is a huge thing hence blazing over at Fleetwood from the penalty spot. All our strikers are suffering a confidence issue and snatching at chances for varying reasons.

Play to his strengths and he might have more confidence and belief that more chances will come in a game and not snatch at the few chances that fall for him, ask any striker it’s common knowledge confidence is massive for a player

The figures of 500k is over the top without a doubt but that’s the strong hand Portsmouth held as he was a player they wanted to keep and valued highly at the club.
It’s a sellers market in them conditions and we were so far down the line in him being the chosen one it strengthened the value.

Nick

Administrator
It’s for all to see he’s a striker who be more natural to play off the shoulder and off a natural 6’2”+ target man who opens the space for a player like Chaplin to be more a predator in the 18 yard box.
In this set up he’s more often than not being asked to drop into the hole in between where we’ve no one is occupying the space therefore a more deeper centrally 4411 set up.

It’s also for all to see he’s lost a lot of confidence over the last 2 months from when he arrived and he must feel like he’s not getting the best out of himself in the areas he’s mostly deployed in or amount of service given per game to what he’s used to so he’s got to grow as a player for it and come through a difficult time, pressure is on him and he’s got to learn to handle and manage that too.

He’s taken a huge hit in confidence off the back of missing some 1v1’s or half scuffles but just like JCH has missed this season too in 1v1 situations. The confidence is a huge thing hence blazing over at Fleetwood from the penalty spot. All our strikers are suffering a confidence issue and snatching at chances for varying reasons.

Play to his strengths and he might have more confidence and belief that more chances will come in a game and not snatch at the few chances that fall for him, ask any striker it’s common knowledge confidence is massive for a player

The figures of 500k is over the top without a doubt but that’s the strong hand Portsmouth held as he was a player they wanted to keep and valued highly at the club.
It’s a sellers market in them conditions and we were so far down the line in him being the chosen one it strengthened the value.

He really didn't show any of that yesterday when he was played there. I'm really struggling to remember him even having a touch of the ball.
Baka put him in with a good header but he didn't react quick enough.

chiefdave

Its not so much the fact we aren't scoring that annoys me, its how we struggle to get a shot even close to being on target. What are they doing in training?

steve82

He really didn't show any of that yesterday when he was played there. I'm really struggling to remember him even having a touch of the ball.
Baka put him in with a good header but he didn't react quick enough.

Exactly his confidence has gone and now and his overall game is impacted and needs managing by MR, he’s only 21 still and proved he’s the ability to score goals in his early stages of his career mostly at L2 level.

It’s all about the pressure and confidence right now and settling away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

Can't stop watching that JCH miss. He did so well up until the finish.

steve82

Can't stop watching that JCH miss. He did so well up until the finish.

Not the best of fortunes we’ve had this year in 1v1 situations, JCH scored in the FA Cup game v Walsall but then narrowly missed Saturday, he dragged one wide against Portsmouth too. My minds telling of another but cannot think of it.

Hiwula took his at Bradford, Chaplin over hit his chance late against Sunderland.

Anyone think of others I’ve forgotten about?

LilleSkyBlue

Mild mannered though I am, the signings of Bakayoko and Hiwula caused me to curse Robins and bang my head on the wall. Neither had ever really shown any signs of being a consistent goalscorer and neither looks like being one yet with us either. I'm not sure I fancy seeing Hiwula given a proper run up front, though you could twist my arm forcefully and Bakyoko could have a couple of games. Glimpses have been shown. That game against Cheltenham though, jeez...

JCH lumbers about to sometimes positive effect, but is also unlikely to actually score many goals, in my estimation. I did think he was going to score on Saturday after his great header forward to take the ball away from the defender and into his own path. He did everything but score, as they say.

Chaplin has pleased me in his overall play so far - nimble, alert, involved - with the notable exception of Saturday's match. He still looks like he might be the man we need, though I hope he starts getting farther up the field quickly to actually make or get some real chances.

Conclusion: it's the strikers we have who are the problem.

Please prove me wrong, strikers.

hill83

You can get away with a below average team if you've got someone who can plonk the ball in the net.
An above average team with useless strikers will get nowhere.

I'm not saying we are any of the above but if we had someone who could take chances on a more regular basis we'd be laughing.

Other than the keeper it's the most important position for me and the most difficult for the manager, especially at our level, to get right. And when we do get it right they'll be off.

steve82

Mild mannered though I am, the signings of Bakayoko and Hiwula caused me to curse Robins and bang my head on the wall. Neither had ever really shown any signs of being a consistent goalscorer and neither looks like being one yet with us either. I'm not sure I fancy seeing Hiwula given a proper run up front, though you could twist my arm forcefully and Bakyoko could have a couple of games. Glimpses have been shown. That game against Cheltenham though, jeez...

JCH lumbers about to sometimes positive effect, but is also unlikely to actually score many goals, in my estimation. I did think he was going to score on Saturday after his great header forward to take the ball away from the defender and into his own path. He did everything but score, as they say.

Chaplin has pleased me in his overall play so far - nimble, alert, involved - with the notable exception of Saturday's match. He still looks like he might be the man we need, though I hope he starts getting farther up the field quickly to actually make or get some real chances.

Conclusion: it's the strikers we have who are the problem.

Please prove me wrong, strikers.

Why you opposed to seeing Hiwula given a run up front in a central striking role? In three seasons in average sides he’s got 9 goals in league one.

It’s not breathtaking by any means but potential is there to go beyond the 10 goals mark easily.
I’d back him to get 12-15 goals happily.

Chaplin is still green in his overall game development but ability with his useful movement shown is to be developed further for L1.

Warwickhunt

its the same pattern as Tony Mowburys team that was winning consistently and then come xmas never won another game until March time, are the so called strikers playing for each other? are they being billy big bollox against the other players? God knows!!!

Users who are viewing this thread