Play Off Race '24 thread (2 Viewers)

Travs

I reckon we're now getting close to it being 2 from 5 with tonight's results. A week or two ago it was probably 2 from 9.

If we were to beat Preston on friday it may well knock them out of the race, given their poor goal difference.

GaryJones

A Friday win is critical. Pressures on!

Covkid1968#

We’re all doomed!!!

Yep.. bad results, but there will be lots more surprises along the way. The positives are

1. Soton can be beaten at home
2. We are yet to play hull and WBA.
3. We might be better at chasing 6th rather than holding on to 6th
4. Errr just those 3!!… absolute wank set of results tonight!!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I notice in the betting odds for promotion we are still favourities for 6th place. See Preston although only 2 points behind us are 100-1(if they beat us them odds will tumble) with most bookies yet Sunderland 2 points worse off and without a manager are as low as 22-1.
I also noticed odds in the relegation QPR( 8 points in the last 5 games) are favoured over Stoke( 3 points in their last 5) to go down. Stoke have 3 more points but have a worse GD.Those 3 points could be gone Saturday as QPR home to Rotherham and Stoke away to Cardiff.Strange odds?

Gibbo

I notice in the betting odds for promotion we are still favourities for 6th place. See Preston although only 2 points behind us are 100-1(if they beat us them odds will tumble) with most bookies yet Sunderland 2 points worse off and without a manager are as low as 22-1.
I also noticed odds in the relegation QPR( 8 points in the last 5 games) are favoured over Stoke( 3 points in their last 5) to go down. Stoke have 3 more points but have a worse GD.Those 3 points could be gone Saturday as QPR home to Rotherham and Stoke away to Cardiff.Strange odds?
Looking increasingly tough.

Probably not as many contenders as last year but only one place. Sunderland to drop away even under new management - just not good enough. Then there were four - City, Preston, Hull and Norwich. We have midfield injuries, but I bet the others have missing players too. It just looks to me as though Hull and Norwich have the momentum, while we are grinding out results.

Happy_Martian

WBA will pull away in 5th spot. It's us vs Hull and Norwich for 6th. Prepare for a 2-leg semi-final play-off against Ipswich, and a Wembley final vs. WBA!

Not so convinced about WBA as yourself. If (and it's a mighty IF) we beat them, they are still within touching distance of us. And not sure that either So'ton or Leeds would beat WBA over a two legged semi. Ipswich definitely the weakest of the top 5 so far.

All we can do is keep performing and getting points. Things will only become clear after the final whistle of the 46th game of the season.

My ongoing predictions

1708518008625.png

Levship20

Not so convinced about WBA as yourself. If (and it's a mighty IF) we beat them, they are still within touching distance of us. And not sure that either So'ton or Leeds would beat WBA over a two legged semi. Ipswich definitely the weakest of the top 5 so far.

All we can do is keep performing and getting points. Things will only become clear after the final whistle of the 46th game of the season.

My ongoing predictions

View attachment 34153
A lot of people saying Ipswich are a weak side and will begin to drop places? Not seeing that and they still keep winning. Wouldn’t fancy facing them if we were to be in the play offs and they didn’t achieve autos.

Mcbean

A lot of people saying Ipswich are a weak side and will begin to drop places? Not seeing that and they still keep winning. Wouldn’t fancy facing them if we were to be in the play offs and they didn’t achieve autos.
they were lucky last night - only a couple of good plays let them beat Rotherham

slowpoke

Plenty of twist and turns yet, nothing changes we still need to pick up pts on Friday. 3 would be great 1 pt is not a disaster.

I wouldn’t say beating bottom of the league Rotherham at home 4-3 with the last kick of the match the result of the century.

Happy_Martian

Please don't misinterpret what I said. Not that Ipswich are weak but they are the weakest of the top 5. We would struggle against them but I'd prefer them to any of the others above us.

Hobo

they were lucky last night - only a couple of good plays let them beat Rotherham

Ipswich have to lose 9 games out of thirteen for us to make up the points deficit and we have to win 9 games. Even then we would be on the same points. Ipswich have lost 4 games all season, no way will we finish above them.

Mcbean

Ipswich have to lose 9 games out of thirteen for us to make up the points deficit and we have to win 9 games. Even then we would be on the same points. Ipswich have lost 4 games all season, no way will we finish above them.
my point is that if they drop to the playoffs we can beat them

itsabuzzard

My ongoing predictions

View attachment 34153
Got to love a spreadsheet.

Happy_Martian

Did the same HM, on my spreadsheet, had to change it first day in as I had WBA drawing and Hull losing, my son says it all the time 'shows what you know about football'
Same. Thought we'd beat Brizzle and draw at Stoke. Those results were reversed so I'm still on track for 75 points at the end of the season.

Not looking at other clubs. While I have some knowledge of them, no way I could predict anything, even their halftime refreshment.

HadjiChippo

Mad how we’ve reeled WBA back in a bit, thought they were sure thing for playoffs a couple of games ago. Though, they have got a sure 3 points next against Rotherham. Need Leicester to return the favour for us against them.

SeaSeeEffCee

What it boils down to really is we either need Norwich to drop points in one more game than we do or West Brom to pick up 6 less points than us over the remaining games. Still doable but we have tough run of games and are probably going to have pick up 12+ points.

no_loyalty

Mad how we’ve reeled WBA back in a bit, thought they were sure thing for playoffs a couple of games ago. Though, they have got a sure 3 points next against Rotherham. Need Leicester to return the favour for us against them.
You would put money on Albion beating Rotherham with ease, but when a team is already relegated they tend to play with no fear.

Users who are viewing this thread