Player ratings (2 Viewers)

Otis

Re-watch the goal for his first touch to bring it out of the air...
Ah, good point. I should have clarified on my earlier point that I mentioned when he hit the ball ahead of him. That was the heavy touch, not the initial control.

steve82

Burge 7 had another good game, delt with most things and some excellent point blank saves.

Stokes 6 fairly solid. Did the simple things.

Willis 5.5 first 10 mins was solid, next 35 he'd rather forget! Second 45 redeemed himself. First half was a 3, forever in Mo Eisa shadow.

Mcdonald 3.5 not his best performance at all, yet some good interceptions.

Grimmer 6 reasonable performance, don't recall any bad points or anything outstanding.

Doyle 6 a standard Micky Doyle performance.

Bayliss 7 a debut to remember, confident, will hopefully grow for for it.

Shipley 6 a steady performance. A few decent set pieces

Vincenti 6 one of his better performances in a city shirt.

McNulty 7 snatched at a few chances but makes some intelligent runs. Thankfully the keeper stayed put for the winner.

Biamou 7 does the dirty stuff to give others space, the lack of goals is a issue but if he can find the net he's coming on well.
Subs
Davies 6 a good game and helped keep Cheltenham quiet the second half.

Nazon 4 other than the pass he offered nothing again, spent more time fiddling with his socks in the centre circle.

DKE - too late to have any impact.

Otis

Burge 7 had another good game, delt with most things and some excellent point blank saves.

Stokes 6 fairly solid. Did the simple things.

Willis 5.5 first 10 mins was solid, next 35 he'd rather forget! Second 45 redeemed himself. First half was a 3, forever in Mo Eisa shadow.

Mcdonald 3.5 not his best performance at all, yet some good interceptions.

Grimmer 6 reasonable performance, don't recall any bad points or anything outstanding.

Doyle 6 a standard Micky Doyle performance.

Bayliss 7 a debut to remember, confident, will hopefully grow for for it.

Shipley 6 a steady performance. A few decent set pieces

Vincenti 6 one of his better performances in a city shirt.

McNulty 7 snatched at a few chances but makes some intelligent runs. Thankfully the keeper stayed put for the winner.

Biamou 7 does the dirty stuff to give others space, the lack of goals is a issue but if he can find the net he's coming on well.
Subs
Davies 6 a good game and helped keep Cheltenham quiet the second half.

Nazon 4 other than the pass he offered nothing again, spent more time fiddling with his socks in the centre circle.

DKE - too late to have any impact.
What about Grimmer's error in the highlights where he pretty much gives the ball right to their striker in our own penalty area?

skybluesam66

Burge 7
Grimmer 7
Stokes 6
Willis 5
Rod 5
Doyle 6
Bayliss 7
Shipley 7
Vincenti 5
Mcnulty 7
Biamou 7
Nazon 6
DKE 5

Overall effort 9
Overall quality 6

steve82

What about Grimmer's error in the highlights where he pretty much gives the ball right to their striker in our own penalty area?

I honestly didn't recall it till you said about it. Was at a point the defence looked all over the place.

Bristol sky blue

Burge 6.5
Grimmer 5
Stokes 6
Willis 6
Rod 5
Doyle 6.5
Bayliss 6
Shipley 6
Vincenti 5
Mcnulty 8 MOM
Biamou 6.5

Nazon 5.5
DKE 5
Davies 7.5 deserves to start next game

Pete in Portugal

Burge - 7 - A better performance
Grimmer - 5 - No problem with his effort, but too many errors
Stokes - 6 - Generally looked safe, but allowed their player to cross for their goal
Willis - 6 - A few lapses, but solid for most of the game
McDonald - 5 - I think he was stuggling, but made some important clearances
Doyle - 6 - Nothing outstanding, but worked hard. Doesn't look as good without Kelly alongside him
Bayliss -7 - Great debut. Looks like he could end up a class player
Vincente - 4 - Didnt offer very much at all. Docked a point for 'hiding' from the ball just before he was subbed
Shipley - 5 - Was a bit anonymous really
McNulty - 8 - Our best player on the day. Looked sharp and 'up for it'. His running off the ball was generally very good. Needs to sort out how to control the ball faster before shooting - sometimes seems to need too many touches
Biamou - 5 - Ten out of 10 for effort, but lack of control and pace is always going to be a problem for him , even at this level.

Davies - 7 - Very effective. Looked completely in charge from the moment he came on. Impressive
DK-E - 5 - Did a lot of running and covering, but we need more
Nazon - 6 - At times he looked disinterested, but an extra point for his assist

Last edited:

stevefloyd

Just to try and clarify my reasoning on McNulty, I understand that at this level players will need a few chances and thats fine if they are hitting the target but for me he just snatches at most things and blazes chances over the bar, now fair enough any striker will have his fair share of skied shots but its becoming too regular now, mind you I would think Biamou would love to have some of McNultys share.
McNulty would be great as a 2nd striker chipping in with goals, maybe I am being unfair on him to an extent but if he keeps scoring you never know I may grow to like him............perhaps

steve82

Was this the one where Willis throws a leg out and it goes past him and through Grimmers legs? In the first half?

Otis

Was this the one where Willis throws a leg out and it goes past him and through Grimmers legs? In the first half?
Yeah and to be fair, now watching that a few times, Willis going for the ball wrong foots him I think.

Also notice for their goal both McDonald and Willis were at fault. Rod and Stokes both go for the same ball, but Willis, who is closely marking his man then let's him get away into space to score.

Londonccfcfan

Jeez, I’m just looking at all the ratings.

The variance in ratings of Grimmer/Willis/Vincenti/Baylis/Biamou/McNulty is quite staggering.

You would wonder if everyone was watching the same game.

steve82

Yeah and to be fair, now watching that a few times, Willis going for the ball wrong foots him I think.

Also notice for their goal both McDonald and Willis were at fault. Rod and Stokes both go for the same ball, but Willis, who is closely marking his man then let's him get away into space to score.

Yeah looks harsh to score Grimmer down on that, it wrong foots him and catches him by surprise.

During that 30 minute spell the defence got worse, and Mo Eisa movements pulled the central pairing all over the place. Willis wasn't aware where he'd gone half the time in the 1st half.

Thankfully the tweak in tactics meant he wasn't offered much opportunity in the second half to do anymore damage.

I think that last half hour of the 1st half was Willis most torrid afternoon of the season for him. He won't wanna see Eisa for a while.

steve82

Jeez, I’m just looking at all the ratings.

The variance in ratings of Grimmer/Willis/Vincenti/Baylis/Biamou/McNulty is quite staggering.

You would wonder if everyone was watching the same game.

It's a funny game that people view moments and see things differently.

Take mine and your views on Willis for example, you rate him as a 8 and say simply excellent. I rated him as 5.5 first 10 mins was solid, next 35 he'd rather forget! Second 45 redeemed himself. First half was a 3, forever in Mo Eisa shadow.

Londonccfcfan

It's a funny game that people view moments and see things differently.

Take mine and your views on Willis for example, you rate him as a 8 and say simply excellent. I rated him as 5.5 first 10 mins was solid, next 35 he'd rather forget! Second 45 redeemed himself. First half was a 3, forever in Mo Eisa shadow.

Haha Steve, I honestly feel Willis was trying his best to cover up the inadequacies Grimmer to his right and Rod to his left.

steve82

Haha Steve, I honestly feel Willis was trying his best to cover up the inadequacies Grimmer to his right and Rod to his left.

And that's fair enough, but you see my point about what we all see.... funny game.

The 1st 10/15 mins I thought he started well, strong, focused and composed. The next 30 minutes he was schooled.... Mo Eisa was there one minute and gone the next finding 3/4 yards of vital space. Rod wasn't great himself by previous standards and injured himself clearing the ball of Willis head. Shows his confidence in that split second in Willis and poor communication from both players.

As for the covering of Grimmer and Mcdonald I'd disagree with that both wasn't as bad as Willis felt the need to do 3 jobs. He should stick to his game and focus on Eisa who'd already showed him his shadow several times before the goal.

Second half he was better, and Davies helped inject that confidence as the team felt better with Cheltenham as we compressed play. Yes Willis played on and ran off what ever he strained, brave committed you could say but a better less troubled second half.

Warwickhunt

McNulty will score 15 goals by the seasons end in my opinion. Seems to be getting more and more chances as the games go by. 1 in 5 chances is about right for L2 striker

Hobo

It's a tricky one today though, because there was a stark contrast between the first and the second halves. Willis was much, much better in the second half.

Because as a team we played narrower and less open in the second half which helped the defenders. People look at individual performances when they should be looking at the shape of the team.

Pete in Portugal

Because as a team we played narrower and less open in the second half which helped the defenders. People look at individual performances when they should be looking at the shape of the team.

At times I thought we were too narrow in the second half. It's all very well playing with only one wide mid-fielder, but when that's Vincente, it doesn't result in much to threaten opposition defences.

steve82

2 factors improved Willis performance in the second half and the back line.
Tactics - we squeezed play and were more compact which limited Cheltenhams threat plus they failed to pickup any sustained momentum and Eisa was unable to be picked out in dangerous areas.
Davies - he helped deal any attacking threat. Positioned himself well and brought a calmness to the defensive unit.

Hobo

At times I thought we were too narrow in the second half. It's all very well playing with only one wide mid-fielder, but when that's Vincente, it doesn't result in much to threaten opposition defences.

But we found the winner and limited their chances job done.

Nick

Administrator

Watching Vincenti, whenever it came to wide play he was trying to make space for the Grimmer overlap. He was trying to drag their full back with him to create space for Grimmer to do the wide play.

Pete in Portugal

Watching Vincenti, whenever it came to wide play he was trying to make space for the Grimmer overlap. He was trying to drag their full back with him to create space for Grimmer to do the wide play.

Whatever he was trying to do, I don't think it worked.

Grendel

Andy Turners ratings are interesting.

Nazon 7.5 “he worked his socks off”

Users who are viewing this thread