Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Otis

Because as a team we played narrower and less open in the second half which helped the defenders. People look at individual performances when they should be looking at the shape of the team.
It is a player ratings thread though. ;) It's where you rate players individually.

I look to see if defenders are marking who they should be marking and whether they are clearing the ball, making tackles and distributing it out of defence.

Willis and Rod struggled in that first half.

Second half we also played the ball a bit earlier, a bit longer and this pushed Cheltenham back and. They weren't half as threatening as a result.

clint van damme

I found his ratings strange, think he meant pulled his socks up!! For 15 minutes

we lost the ball just outside the Cheltenam box and Nazon sprinted 40 yards to try and win the ball back, he didn't get it first attempt but he chased the lay off and won the ball. Not bad for a bloke fiddling with his socks!!

steve82

we lost the ball just outside the Cheltenam box and Nazon sprinted 40 yards to try and win the ball back, he didn't get it first attempt but he chased the lay off and won the ball. Not bad for a bloke fiddling with his socks!!

I do recall that actually so that's two things he did while fiddling with his socks for 15 minutes while looking uninterested and moaning at the ref rather than putting a shift in helping his team mates out.

Otis

I do recall that actually so that's two things he did while fiddling with his socks for 15 minutes while looking uninterested and moaning at the ref rather than putting a shift in helping his team mates out.
He came on and ran around like a demented gazelle for the first five minutes, but then he soon showed a lack of interest for the most part.

steve82

I do find with Andy Turners ratings that certain players start with +2 points which makes them carry a respectable score when it's all said and done.

Mainly home grown players and Doyle.

steve82

He came on and ran around like a demented gazelle for the first five minutes, but then he soon showed a lack of interest for the most part.

Was so obvious my 12 year old lad commented on it, and how he needs to get on with it. Ref didn't see it as a holding so play on... things like this will hold him back in his career and be a waste of a lot of talent.

Grendel

McDonald 7 strong and sold read the game well and good distribution

Otis

McDonald 7 strong and sold read the game well and good distribution
McDonald struggled, as did Willis that first half.

Sounds to me like Andy Turner might well be one of these who only watches players ON the ball, ie good clearance, strong header, good tackle and not players when they haven't got the ball and their marking and positioning etc.

Both of them were made mugs at times yesterday.

Hobo

It is a player ratings thread though. ;) It's where you rate players individually.

I look to see if defenders are marking who they should be marking and whether they are clearing the ball, making tackles and distributing it out of defence.

Willis and Rod struggled in that first half.

Second half we also played the ball a bit earlier, a bit longer and this pushed Cheltenham back and. They weren't half as threatening as a result.

But it depends if the focus is just on the player, or their performance within the context of the way the team are set up. The two should go hand in hand surely.

It may not change things drastically but can to a point I.e someone might not get forward because they have a specific defensive role. Defenders may look better, not because they are but because the defensive formation has been tightened. It is too easy to say a player was poor because his team mates just left him exposed.

Otis

But it depends if the focus is just on the player, or their performance within the context of the way the team are set up. The two should go hand in hand surely.

It may not change things drastically but can to a point I.e someone might not get forward because they have a specific defensive role. Defenders may look better, not because they are but because the defensive formation has been tightened. It is too easy to say a player was poor because his team mates just left him exposed.
Well, yes, that is obviously taken into account too. If Grimmer doesn't contribute going forwards because he has been told to stay back you can't then mark him down for not going forwards.

Users who are viewing this thread