Ponticelli (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

This is what Jason Farndon thinks:

“He is six months into the programme, he has got a lot to learn and we are working to improve those weaknesses, but he is still a very good player at this level. Six months in and top goalscorer in the league is fantastic.”

Hobo

and rushing players through can do more damage than good. He will get his chance here when he is ready, far quicker than at a bigger club.

stevefloyd

Owen and Shrek were at better standard clubs as at the minute they shone and went on to make names for themselves... Owen was seemingly ruined through injuries maybe playing at too early an age.. and Shreks career has tailed of late maybe again suffering burn out who knows .. Ponticelli will get his chance if he keeps progressing I know we are desperate but lets give the kid a chance before the fans slaughter him for not scoring 20 before the season ends

dongonzalos

and rushing players through can do more damage than good. He will get his chance here when he is ready, far quicker than at a bigger club.

As long as he doesn't do a sambalu as we wait. Scoring as he is bigger clubs will be looking

Otis

The Rooney and Owen comparisons are unfair and demonstrate just why it's too early! He's a young kid and he's already being compared to two great strikers.
This is League One though. It's a much lower level.

If we are completely cut adrift, say 15 points behind with only 17 or 18 points on table, we should give him a chance.

There would be absolutely no pressure at all on the kid then at all. Let's face it, there are hardly any occasions in football where there is absolutely nothing on the line.

I think he should definitely get at least some bench time this season if we are doomed.

Grendel

If we are completely cut adrift, say 15 points behind with only 17 or 18 points on table, we should give him a chance.

There would be absolutely no pressure at all on the kid then at all. Let's face it, there are hardly any occasions in football where there is absolutely nothing on the line.

I think he should definitely get at least some bench time this season if we are doomed.

Yeah we are really kind to our young players
George Thomas -whats the point
Kwame Thomas

fernandopartridge

It's not the fact it's League 1, it's the fact that Rooney and Owen, for example, were way ahead in their development, they were playing in age groups years older than them and excelling.

It's an interesting change of direction from you, before the Oldham game you were espousing the bringing some 'experienced' players into the back 4.

Otis

It's not the fact it's League 1, it's the fact that Rooney and Owen, for example, were way ahead in their development, they were playing in age groups years older than them and excelling.

It's an interesting change of direction from you, before the Oldham game you were espousing the bringing some 'experienced' players into the back 4.

Not a change of direction. How so? That was the back four anyway. I would be much less in favour of putting a kid in the back four than as a striker, as one single mistake at the back can lead to a goal for the opposition and shatter a young defender's confidence.

Besides, my thinking there was totally based on trying to do something at the back in order for us to have a chance of staying up. The Ponticelli notion is all about the fact of playing him if we are down anyway and there's nothing to play for.

I think I did say about putting him on the bench the other day, but that was only down to us being completely short of strikers and having no other options. I wouldn't advocate it otherwise.

Now, with strikers back, I would leave him until we are completely condemned and the pressure is off.

dongonzalos

An 18 year old with his scoring record in our situation deserves a spot in the bench.
If you are losing a game 1-0 with ten minutes to go and the opposition retreat to their box.
That's the time for him.
Full of confidence scoring for fun no fear. Not got the losing mentality the squad currently have.
We shouldn't forget we are talking about an 18 year old here.

dongonzalos

Geroge was 19 though and Kwame is 21. We do have to be careful with Ponticelli as he is only 17, but I don't see that spending sometime with the first team squad is going to do him any harm.

I believe he is 18 now.
Plenty of 18 year olds come off the bench in all divisions of professional football

stupot07

An 18 year old with his scoring record in our situation deserves a spot in the bench.
If you are losing a game 1-0 with ten minutes to go and the opposition retreat to their box.
That's the time for him.
Full of confidence scoring for fun no fear. Not got the losing mentality the squad currently have.
We shouldn't forget we are talking about an 18 year old here.
The issue is he isn't starting regularly and scoring for the u23's. The likes of DKE, Thomas, Stevenson, Haynes, Willis, had played 2-3 years of reserve/u23 football before making thr step up. Its very difficult to use the u18s as benchmark as its a million mikes away from the standard of professional league one football.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shmmeee

To be honest, I'd still like to see George Thomas get a proper run up front. He was scoring the the U23s, and maybe with a Beavon or a Yak laying things on he'd do it again.

lifeskyblue

My Dad plays in a regular over 70s game of five a side. He's scored 235 goals in his last ten games. Surely it's worth Slade at least taking a look and sticking him in the first team.

Clean his boots and bring him along Saturday. Mr Ts dad and Yakubu...oldest forward pairing in ccfc history.

PUSB

Joy Division

To be honest, I'd still like to see George Thomas get a proper run up front. He was scoring the the U23s, and maybe with a Beavon or a Yak laying things on he'd do it again.

I do feel if G Thomas had decent players around him he could be a good player.

its a buzzard

As long as he doesn't do a sambalu as we wait. Scoring as he is bigger clubs will be looking
Indeed. One of the most depressing things about the state of the club (and bugger me there are plenty of them!) is the indecent haste with which any youngster showing promise is flogged off, often before they've barely got a toe-hold in the 1st team. Fans love to see talented home-grown players break through. Makes you weep. So, might as well throw the good young uns in to the team sooner rather than later!

Captain Dart

Indeed. One of the most depressing things about the state of the club (and bugger me there are plenty of them!) is the indecent haste with which any youngster showing promise is flogged off, often before they've barely got a toe-hold in the 1st team. Fans love to see talented home-grown players break through. Makes you weep. So, might as well throw the good young uns in to the team sooner rather than later!
Distressed Asset 3
This business was a fallen angel. A Premiership pedigree and brand in a financially distressed position.

The challenge was to review and restructure the capital structure to encourage fresh investment into the business.

A first step was to create a valuation and cash flow sensitivity model for the business.

A second step required an analysis of the playing assets in respect of valuation and ‘liquidity’.

A third step required for wholesale restructuring of the business with previous vertical business streams around the first team, development squad and academy being replaced with horizontal management integration. This facilitated the creation of value with bright aspiring assets being played in the first team and creating instant value.

In respect of financing then long dated, expensive debt was replaced with short term, rolling asset backed financing. This facilitated cash flow stabilization.

A further hybrid instrument was created such that the debt element had repayment points linked to transfer window activity and equity convertibility was linked to overall asset performance.

AFCCOVENTRY

CCFC XI: Skuza, L. Green, Thompson, McMahon, Camwell, Eccles, Bayliss, Stedman, Finn, Smith, Ponticelli. #PUSB

Looks like our free scoring striker at the club is playing against Millwall today.

Pete in Portugal

Not a change of direction. How so? That was the back four anyway. I would be much less in favour of putting a kid in the back four than as a striker, as one single mistake at the back can lead to a goal for the opposition and shatter a young defender's confidence...............

I agree Otis - it's riskier to play young kids in the back four, as their confidence could easily be shattered. You wouldn't want to rely on having only two young kids as goalkeepers either. Oh, er...................................

Otis

I agree Otis - it's riskier to play young kids in the back four, as their confidence could easily be shattered. You wouldn't want to rely on having only two young kids as goalkeepers either. Oh, er...................................
Big mistake by a succession of managers.

Think if you look back to posts in summer, there were a few on here saying we should get an experienced keeper in.

Both RCC and Burge have made far too many silly little errors this season and it has definitely cost us in games.

Pete in Portugal

Big mistake by a succession of managers.

Think if you look back to posts in summer, there were a few on here saying we should get an experienced keeper in.

Both RCC and Burge have made far too many silly little errors this season and it has definitely cost us in games.

Yip and crucially, having a flaky keeper behind the defenders affects their performance too. I can see the temptation to save some wages by not bringing in an experienced goalie. But in the end it was a false economy. Jimmy Hill signed Bill Glazier for a (then) world record transfer fee, because understood the value of having a strong keeper.

stevefloyd

Yes thats a very very good point how many points gave our keepers cost us .... meanwhile i have had a slight change of heart about Ponticelli, him pkaying alongside Yakubu would be priceless for him, the experience he could gain and confidence would be immense. We had a similar situation like this before when Furlong was brought in from non league but Butcher by name and nature got rid of Regis so Furry missed out

Users who are viewing this thread