Match Thread Port Vale - Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 26th Dec (5 Viewers)

Otis

Port Vale season summary

Port Vale had an awful start to the season: W1, D2, L9 of their opening 12 games, with the 1-0 defeat at the Ricoh sandwiched in the middle of that run, leaving them tied bottom with Chesterfield. They sacked Michael Brown and appointed Neil Aspin, who had been managing in non-league, and although it took a few games their form has improved. In their last 11 games they have W6 D2 L3 and pulled away from the relegation zone.

Home form:

They hadn't won at home in their opening 6 games but have won 3 of their last 5 ,although that run included 2 heavy defeats by Swindon 0-3 and Mansfield 0-4. Despite this minor recovery, overall they have the worst record at home in the division.
View attachment 8658

They have also been beaten at home by every team in the top half of the league, conceding 15 in 6 matches:
View attachment 8659

Goals:
Port Vale have conceded at least one goal in 82% of their home matches. They look much more vunerable after half time with 10 of their 18 goals conceded coming between 46-75 mins.

View attachment 8661

Port Vale's main threat is Tom Pope who has scored 8 and has 3 assists in his last 12 league appearances.

Tables:
View attachment 8660
I take it you live alone.

Esoterica

I take it you live alone.
Actually, my family have all gone off to Paris for Christmas. I've been trying to make the best of the situation, jumping on beds, eating ice cream, watching gangster movies, and doing whatever takes my fancy. I'm getting a bit worried though. There's been a spate of burglaries in the area and there have been a couple of guys hanging around in the street who I overheard talking about robbing my place.
Hopefully I'll be ok because I've got a plan - I've got my brother's BB gun and set his tarantula free, have set up some ice on the steps by the front door, heated up a doorknob using the BBQ, put my micro machines all over the floor, set up a blowtorch to go off if anyone opens the back door, placed a trip wire, got a paint can on a rope over the stairs and got an escape route from my room to my treehouse.

I'll let you know how I get on*

* Christmas is celebrated on 24th in most of central Europe :)

Otis

Actually, my family have all gone off to Paris for Christmas. I've been trying to make the best of the situation, jumping on beds, eating ice cream, watching gangster movies, and doing whatever takes my fancy. I'm getting a bit worried though. There's been a spate of burglaries in the area and there have been a couple of guys hanging around in the street who I overheard talking about robbing my place.
Hopefully I'll be ok because I've got a plan - I've got my brother's BB gun and set his tarantula free, have set up some ice on the steps by the front door, heated up a doorknob using the BBQ, put my micro machines all over the floor, set up a blowtorch to go off if anyone opens the back door, placed a trip wire, got a paint can on a rope over the stairs and got an escape route from my room to my treehouse.

I'll let you know how I get on*

* Christmas is celebrated on 24th in most of central Europe :)
Love the plan.

I think that scenario would make for a great little movie.

Amcoventry

As I follow the games only on this site and BBC I'm hoping the game is a good clean one so comments in this thread have more about the game rather than the performance of the Ref & Lino. Happy for a 1-0 win.

cov4theprem

Kids under 12 are free so would be rude not to have a run up their tomorrow. Reckon 2000 possible for this one...

Speng

Come on City ,taking a few friends to the game that don’t usually go to away games , 3 points would be very nice and keep this mini run going , 2-1 cov .. safe journey everyone

Otis

The only little concern I have this that luck quite often evens itself out and we have had that bit of luck in the last two games.

Firstly, Tom Bayliss' deflected shot and then Doyle's freak goal.

We have also been lucky enough to get that first goal and go ahead early, meaning any defensive game plan of the opposition has gone straight out the window.

Would expect Port Vale to attack us today though.

Be interesting, but I am expecting a positive result. We should be full of confidence right now.

bawtryneal

See you all there. Safe journey from wherever you are travelling
Fancy a 2-0 win today and a great turnout from the SBA
PUSB

pusbccfc

There's going to be a Biamou masterclass today.

Hobo

I can see this being 1-1. But I hope we can keep our recent momentum going and win. We are nicely placed in the table for this stage in the season. I would love Biamou to score, I think he deserves a goal. I am also interested to see whether a goal would boost his confidence enough for him to convert more of the chances he is getting.

Nick

Administrator
Looking forward to the game, robins has said he wants 12 points over the Christmas games so will see if they come out fired up. Another early goal and no silly penalties given away hopefully

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Heading up later, looking forward to this one with our new midfield.

Any later decision makers, I have a couple of spare seats in the car if you fancy pay on the gate.

Gibbo

Last game involved a fluke and a dodgy penalty, so lets not get carried away. It could have been all doom and gloom on here for the last few days.
Not withstanding that as the couple of games have involved more goals for and against than typically previously, has Robbins changed the plan?

One last thing - given how many players he acquired, I am surprised how few duds there have been. Really only O'Brien has been a complete failure. Moulding a team from scratch is not that easy

Nick

Administrator
Last game involved a fluke and a dodgy penalty, so lets not get carried away. It could have been all doom and gloom on here for the last few days.
Not withstanding that as the couple of games have involved more goals for and against than typically previously, has Robbins changed the plan?

One last thing - given how many players he acquired, I am surprised how few duds there have been. Really only O'Brien has been a complete failure. Moulding a team from scratch is not that easy
I wouldn't say obrien has been a complete failure?

Esoterica

Lost our main form of counter attack in Jodi Jones which forced a tactical rethink and replaced a defensive midfielder in Kelly with an attacking midfielder who is comfortable driving forward with the ball at his feet. Much more of a team approach to attacking than previously relying on the individual brilliance of Jones and Nazon which has in turn aided McNulty's excellent form.

Last edited:
Lost our main form of counter attack in Jodi Jones which forced a tactical rethink and replaced a defensive midfielder in Kelly with an attacking midfielder who is comfortable driving forward with the ball at his feet. Much more of a team approach to attacking than previously relying on the individual brilliance on Jones and McNulty which has in turn aided McNulty's excellent form.
I agree! I think mcnulty has improved by not having jones in the team. Seems the slight tweaks in tactics have improved his game.

Esoterica

6-1 McNulty x3, Shipley free kick and 2 late goals for the Duck. Biamou to finally find the net with an own goal for Port Vale. Linell to make a 'christmas crackers' pun and Geoff to keep referring to Port Vale as a mixture of Preston, Peterborough and Portsmouth.

Users who are viewing this thread