Problems & thoughts/options for going forward (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just thoughts that have come to mind. Not saying they are anything more than something to think about. The way i look at it what follows should be viewed generally as positive

There are a number of problems faced by all the parties involved .......

SISU as owners Well the continuance of SISU as owners must be seriously in doubt. They need to hold on to the club to have any chance of a return on investment. They will need to prove that in the immediate future that CCFC is a viable business. That is going to be hard when they have repeatedly said CCFC is only viable if it has all the income streams ...... ACL are simply not going to let them have those income streams because they do not trust SISU at all. The only solution that SISU have is to successfully prove the lease/licence are illegal ........... that I think is a long shot for all sorts of reasons, but it would perhaps distress ACL to breaking point if they had to repay substantial funds. But time is not on their side because the longer it takes the more they need to fund, equally ACL will press for early conclusion of the admin process and it comes back to SISU cant make CCFC viable. There is no time to build a new ground and come May June July there is no real income for the club but the expenses remain

new owners 64 million dollar question are there any interested ? Possibly now that effectively the club could be on the market, at a low price

Income streams I think people have been missing a trick. The income streams from all sources other than rent and stadium sponsorship now rest in IEC Limited. That company formed April 2012 is owned 77% by ACL and 23% by Compass who paid £4m for their 23%. That would possibly value the company at £17.4m on a very simplistic basis. What it does offer is the possibility of CCFC new owners purchasing the rights to alll (not just matchday income) that IEC has. That would include the turnover in CCFC group accounts with implications for FFP, but it also gives CCFC the profits. All without owning the ground or even 50% of ACL. Would that make CCFC more attractive to a new owner? would that leave ACL/Council?charity in control of the site ? Probably yes to both. The club can drive the income streams and benefit 365 days a year

sale of income steams
Say ACl sell the interest in IEC for £14m. They repay the loan perhaps ? Leaves the balance sheet of ACL group at something like worth £17m, takes away all the leverage that TF etc keep saying is such a threat and makes ACL apparently worthless. It leaves ACL as a landlord with no great costs but reasonably substantial income.

Leases There has been talk of giving CCFC a 99 or 125 year lease. That would make sense, gives the club an asset and so long as there are suitable safeguards to protect club and city why not? However i wonder if we are talking 1 or 2 leases. The council could negotiate a new 99year lease with ACL now. That gives that company worth and an asset. It allows ACL to give CCFC a similar 99 year lease. The reason i suggest 2 leases is that it creates worth while maintaining control for ACL/council for a period until they are sure of any new owners CCFC may acquire.

Charity Well I think we all realise that the charity wants out to do other things. Ideally by getting at least what it has cost. Would the above provide ACL with greater worth and therefore the charity benefits at full value rather than a loss of investment? I do not think they would seek to "rip" the deal off. But the deal can be done in a timely way when there is trust and confidence in CCFC once more. Buying 50% is perhaps not necessary or possible from the off.

administration Looks likely to me, SISU will fight it but given they cant get the extra income streams how do they prove that CCFC is viable. It isnt about some general letter saying SISU will back it, is there a viable business without gaining the additional income streams? Can SISU get those income streams? Does that leave no other choice but administration?

ACL rental loss Heard a couple of football finance guys saying didnt understand why ACL did it they will lose £1.4m. Will they ? They have drawn down the Escrow and been paid £300k in match expenses..... £1.4m loss i do not think so. In administration the existing contract remains so administrator will have to pay it or come to some arrangement. Dont be confused by the club being sued for £1.4m .... its just how the law works you sue for the full amount under the contract the sttlement can and is often different. Oh and ACL got judgement on the debt last August and again in December which went unchallenged. Also factor in do ACL have a valid claim on the 3rd party debts...... so the rent loss doesnt appear to be £1.4m overall.

financial know how some go on about the expertise SISU have in business, and that ACL Council & charity are amateurs. Well even amateurs can buy expertise in. SISU are experts in hedge funds they buy other expertise in, they now have knowledge of a football club...... ACL Have expertise in Council and charity tax& law, they buy in Legal, tax, finance and accountany advice, they have knowledge of stadium/event management and knowledge by many years of association of aspects of football club management. There has in my opinion already been some clever thinking done by ACL, where as it would appear that SISU were focussed on only one path to what is needed

site development the way it seems set up then it seems flexible. ACL could sell those rights to a new club owner or they could bring in a separate developer as a partner that could do it knowing that CCFC can benefit from it because they have the income streams. That in itself opens up the investor pool that can look at this

I do not see where SISU have to go with this but i am sure there is a plan

ACL can make the whole thing attractive to investors if they choose to be reasonable in their demands and expectations.

Bottom line is there are options, there is some flexibility, there is reason to have some positive thoughts....... i think there will be people interested, but thats the big question isnt it

like i said just some thoughts

Last edited:

Steve.B50

Why do you always come up with such interesting and factual thoughts?

Very interesting!

Am sitting in bar of my Hotel in Cardiff (drinking coffee) and you have my thoughts and mind ticking over.

Covstu

How did SISU's relationship end with Southampton back in the day? was it a similar route and did they 'walk away' with taking a hit. I know it is a slightly different scenario but just interested to see how they tackled that situation before.

coundonskyblue

How did SISU's relationship end with Southampton back in the day? was it a similar route and did they 'walk away' with taking a hit. I know it is a slightly different scenario but just interested to see how they tackled that situation before.

Sisu never owned Saints, they only tried to buy them.

scroobiustom

Really should of asked this before...

Could the RA be sold to a private buyer?

For example could I put up the cash and buy it outright or does it have to remain in public ownership for the city?

ashbyjan

SISU were looking for a distressed club at that time and looked at Southampton, Derby, Villa (i think) before coming to Cov. The arrival of Ken at Cov was because they met him at Southampton - great judges of character!

Moscowskyblue

OldSkyBlue58, as always excellent and thought provoking. You have come up with several interesting and maybe correct assumptions but the only thing that is certain is that until we have full exposure to the facts/truth it is difficult to see how this will all end. I am sure that with an escrow account neither party can gain access to the account as it is held by a third party and can only be drawn upon with once the legal people are satisfied it is the right time(as in a house purchase)
One of the unexplored topics is why a new buyer would find CCFC attractive at this or indeed any time.We have a very fickle fanbase, a track record of failure or relative lack of success to put it another way and it would only be a vanity purchase in the case of a non CCFC buyer or an emotional one if someone like Gary Hoffman bought the club. Anyone with a business head would be better off looking at 20 clubs before us at the moment and each would be without the uncertainty surrounding CCFC.
I hope it turns out as positive as you believe and we can put the ball back into the conversation, after all that is why we are here.

Flying Fokker

SISU just tried to buy Southampton didn't they?

SkyBlueScottie

Income streams I think people have been missing a trick. The income streams from all sources other than rent and stadium sponsorship now rest in IEC Limited. That company formed April 2012 is owned 77% by ACL and 23% by Compass who paid £4m for their 23%. That would possibly value the company at £17.4m on a very simplistic basis. What it does offer is the possibility of CCFC new owners purchasing the rights to alll (not just matchday income) that IEC has. That would include the turnover in CCFC group accounts with implications for FFP, but it also gives CCFC the profits. All without owning the ground or even 50% of ACL. Would that make CCFC more attractive to a new owner? would that leave ACL/Council?charity in control of the site ? Probably yes to both. The club can drive the income streams and benefit 365 days a year

Surely thats the ideal way forward, everybody gets what is owed, offer the club a lease then the council / ACL retain some sort of protection and control over the ground and surrounding land, the club being the main tennants receive all income. Obviously the council will have to be happy / trust the owners so that in all honesty removes SISU out of the picture. There is also some sort of symbiance to the original Arena 2000 business plan.

scroobiustom

I'm afraid my knowledge doesn't stretch that far!

What I mean is...the stadium is the biggest attraction into why anyone would buy the club...if they made it clear they did not intend to sell the shares, they would put of buyers...could they be forced to sell?

WillieStanley

Some food for thought there, OSB, greatfully recieved.

My first impression when ACL mentioned that there were "potential interested parties" was that in order for them to want to take this forward, they will have had to ensure that there is some genuine interest. In order to generate that interest, I'm sure that ACL would have needed to be able to offer some sort of golden carrot. Uniquely, ACL are in a position to do this in the way of either offering a discounted buy in of ACL or the rights to the development land because, let's face it, there's not much else going for us.

This is almost certainly the beginning of the end for SISU and the fact that ACL at least appear to be courting potential investors for the club, spells to me that immediately, any new owner will have a strong working relationship with ACL. As much as I dislike ACL, that can only be a good thing for our future.

I genuinely believe that SISU have been trying to do the right thing by the club of late, but following the last board and the hole we've been dug into, the amount of contempt towards them from all quarters means that not even Champions League qualification could reverse public opinion about them. With that in mind, a fresh start could be just what we need.

I am genuinely devastated it has had to come to this point, though.

Gaz

What I can't help thinking, is that even if there was a potential investor out there interested in our club, I can't see ACL being realistic with there terms / demands

WillieStanley

What I can't help thinking, is that even if there was a potential investor out there interested in our club, I can't see ACL being realistic with there terms / demands

I guess that if they so desperately want SISU out, they'd have to be. There's got to be a selling point. It's quite clear they won't do business with the club with SISU at the helm, so it's down to 2 options, let the club fold or offer something of value to new owners. I think it's a given fact that the revenue streams have to be a part of that as well as a lower rent, but if they were to offer Higgs share at the same value as it was originally sold for, that's got to be a goer, right? Regardless of our division.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think part of what i was trying to get across is that there are options...... a lot more options than people tend to think. What i have detailed are only some.

What it does allow is that
- the investor pool doesn't have to be billionaires only
- it doesn't have to be all in one go
- it doesn't mean that a new owner has to own any of the freehold, or ACL to get what they need to make club viable
- investors do not have to stump large amounts to buy in, there are other structures that work
- a new investor has a means and time to earn the trust of ACL stakeholders to make it work
- it doesnt have to be a single investor
- that there is continuity and to run the stadium the new investor doesnt have to have experience of it (partly because Compass are tied in)
- because Compass are tied in on the current set up they won't be threatened by a new deal

None of this is cutting edge stuff..... it could all have been done years ago

another thought if CCFC pay a premium for a 99 year lease on the stadium would that allow a rent at even lower levels than £400k .... that would leave CCFC with an asset on the balance sheet, and lower annual costs.

Yes it all depends on ACL's attitude ............ but i am pretty convinced they want a deal, and the way they have set up things that could mean a much better future for the club, that can be taken in one go or built over time. The key to this is CCFC getting the income streams..... it always has been...... what is potentially on offer is all income streams at the site. If a new owner exploits those income streams properly then they get turnover, profit and the trust of ACL & its stakeholders...... that opens up even more options and finances the team. There is time for that because I cant see the stakeholders leaping at the first suitor and giving it all away, this is not about throwing money at it ..... it is about targeting investment so that it works in a planned way

ACL will not be the same entity after this, if it remains at all. For a while it will simply be a landlord, and may perhaps have a partner of worth and commitment to drive the site. Or it remains as a landlord with its current stakeholders for at least a while but has no responsibility for exploiting the income streams.

Basically I think the site and club are more attractive than people think on first look

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
OldSkyBlue58,. I am sure that with an escrow account neither party can gain access to the account as it is held by a third party and can only be drawn upon with once the legal people are satisfied it is the right time(as in a house purchase)
those conditions have triggered when CCFC defaulted on the rent. ACL's last accounts disclosed that they had started to draw the money down by 31/05/12

One of the unexplored topics is why a new buyer would find CCFC attractive at this or indeed any time.We have a very fickle fanbase, a track record of failure or relative lack of success to put it another way and it would only be a vanity purchase in the case of a non CCFC buyer or an emotional one if someone like Gary Hoffman bought the club. Anyone with a business head would be better off looking at 20 clubs before us at the moment and each would be without the uncertainty surrounding CCFC.

depends if you are buying just the club though doesnt it ....... if you were then it doesnt make sense .... but if ACL make it more attractive who knows
I hope it turns out as positive as you believe and we can put the ball back into the conversation, after all that is why we are here.

Fair points ....... just thought there were reasons to lift the gloom :)

Diehard Si

I do actually think this club could be turned around into a profit making company within a few years with the revenue streams and some good investment.

Step 1 - lower ticket prices to get the JPT effect. 25k a match would get the feel good factor back and make us very attractive to players.

Step 2 - invest in the scouting network. Look for the next Danny Fox or Scott Danny.

Step 3 - sign up about 4 of them, develop them in the first team. Spend about a million on each, and hopefully less.

Step 4 - benefit from their abilities during the season. Sell 2 or 3 of them on at a profit for say 2 to 3 million . Invest some of the rest in the next bunch.

Step 5 - the club will start to get known as a good development club. Better loan players will want to come, better youngsters interested in signing.

Yes we'd be a selling club, but we'd be using it in our favour. A few sales of our good players would fund any other operating losses. We could use the system to our advantage, not lose players out of contract for nothing. Keep the wage bill low. Have a few leaders I'm there, and some experienced pros to guide the youngsters.

dongonzalos

I can't see how anyone with the means it money.

If they hear the right things from ACL and the council.

With the railway in route could not see the potential for profit if they strike the right deal.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
What I mean is...the stadium is the biggest attraction into why anyone would buy the club...if they made it clear they did not intend to sell the shares, they would put of buyers...could they be forced to sell?

depends how it is structured but the first thing to get in place is the income streams........... that is all the income streams not just the matchday ones. There are many ways to structure it and it works....... depends on ACL's willingness to deal but also the ability of owners to run the club sensibly and viably

Big_Ben

depends how it is structured but the first thing to get in place is the income streams........... that is all the income streams not just the matchday ones. There are many ways to structure it and it works....... depends on ACL's willingness to deal but also the ability of owners to run the club sensibly and viably

I may be missing something here, but isn't that exactly what SISU's argument is?

AFCCOVENTRY

Whoever comes in will buy the Higgs stake and the club will become part of acl.

This will benefit the football club in a massive way

Spencer

Just thoughts that have come to mind. Not saying they are anything more than something to think about. The way i look at it what follows should be viewed generally as positive

There are a number of problems faced by all the parties involved .......

SISU as owners Well the continuance of SISU as owners must be seriously in doubt. They need to hold on to the club to have any chance of a return on investment. They will need to prove that in the immediate future that CCFC is a viable business. That is going to be hard when they have repeatedly said CCFC is only viable if it has all the income streams ...... ACL are simply not going to let them have those income streams because they do not trust SISU at all. The only solution that SISU have is to successfully prove the lease/licence are illegal ........... that I think is a long shot for all sorts of reasons, but it would perhaps distress ACL to breaking point if they had to repay substantial funds. But time is not on their side because the longer it takes the more they need to fund, equally ACL will press for early conclusion of the admin process and it comes back to SISU cant make CCFC viable. There is no time to build a new ground and come May June July there is no real income for the club but the expenses remain

new owners 64 million dollar question are there any interested ? Possibly now that effectively the club could be on the market, at a low price

sale of income steams
Say ACl sell the interest in IEC for £14m. They repay the loan perhaps ? Leaves the balance sheet of ACL group at something like worth £17m, takes away all the leverage that TF etc keep saying is such a threat and makes ACL apparently worthless. It leaves ACL as a landlord with no great costs but reasonably substantial income.

Leases There has been talk of giving CCFC a 99 or 125 year lease. That would make sense, gives the club an asset and so long as there are suitable safeguards to protect club and city why not? However i wonder if we are talking 1 or 2 leases. The council could negotiate a new 99year lease with ACL now. That gives that company worth and an asset. It allows ACL to give CCFC a similar 99 year lease. The reason i suggest 2 leases is that it creates worth while maintaining control for ACL/council for a period until they are sure of any new owners CCFC may acquire.

Charity Well I think we all realise that the charity wants out to do other things. Ideally by getting at least what it has cost. Would the above provide ACL with greater worth and therefore the charity benefits at full value rather than a loss of investment? I do not think they would seek to "rip" the deal off. But the deal can be done in a timely way when there is trust and confidence in CCFC once more. Buying 50% is perhaps not necessary or possible from the off.

administration Looks likely to me, SISU will fight it but given they cant get the extra income streams how do they prove that CCFC is viable. It isnt about some general letter saying SISU will back it, is there a viable business without gaining the additional income streams? Can SISU get those income streams? Does that leave no other choice but administration?

ACL rental loss Heard a couple of football finance guys saying didnt understand why ACL did it they will lose £1.4m. Will they ? They have drawn down the Escrow and been paid £300k in match expenses..... £1.4m loss i do not think so. In administration the existing contract remains so administrator will have to pay it or come to some arrangement. Dont be confused by the club being sued for £1.4m .... its just how the law works you sue for the full amount under the contract the sttlement can and is often different. Oh and ACL got judgement on the debt last August and again in December which went unchallenged. Also factor in do ACL have a valid claim on the 3rd party debts...... so the rent loss doesnt appear to be £1.4m overall.

financial know how some go on about the expertise SISU have in business, and that ACL Council & charity are amateurs. Well even amateurs can buy expertise in. SISU are experts in hedge funds they buy other expertise in, they now have knowledge of a football club...... ACL Have expertise in Council and charity tax& law, they buy in Legal, tax, finance and accountany advice, they have knowledge of stadium/event management and knowledge by many years of association of aspects of football club management. There has in my opinion already been some clever thinking done by ACL, where as it would appear that SISU were focussed on only one path to what is needed

site development the way it seems set up then it seems flexible. ACL could sell those rights to a new club owner or they could bring in a separate developer as a partner that could do it knowing that CCFC can benefit from it because they have the income streams. That in itself opens up the investor pool that can look at this

I do not see where SISU have to go with this but i am sure there is a plan

ACL can make the whole thing attractive to investors if they choose to be reasonable in their demands and expectations.

Bottom line is there are options, there is some flexibility, there is reason to have some positive thoughts....... i think there will be people interested, but thats the big question isnt it

like i said just some thoughts

SISU don't have to show that it's a viable business - it hasn't been for years (nor are many other football clubs). They have to show they are willing to support it to keep it financially solvent. If they can't do that admin looms, if they can ACL cannot force admin.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So they will have to prove that it will pay all its debts as they fall due then ? (one of the tests of insolvency) :thinking about:

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

If SISU pay up they will reveal the lie that they are broke. Or maybe they are? In which case admin will sort out the rest.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Would they have to prove they could pay the £1.3m owed immediately?

well acl got judgement on the debt in august then the statutory demand went unchallenged in December and remains outstanding which is evidence the judge would consider........ SISU might be able to prove it is not valid but have failed to do so to date as far as we know. If it stands then it is a valid debt due for payment

J

Jack Griffin

I may be missing something here, but isn't that exactly what SISU's argument is?

SISU want everything gratis, ACL tried to renegotiate a revised structure with them for ages, just when it seems like an agreement has been made SISU move the goalposts. They've decided thay can't work with them as they are basicaly unreasonable.

SISU are short term operators, their typical length of stay in any project is around 10 years, then they exit after selling on at a profit having taken extreme measures to increase the value of the distressed equity they bought. What the Council/ACL want is a long term partner willing to invest in the City & take care of the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencer

So they will have to prove that it will pay all its debts as they fall due then ? (one of the tests of insolvency) :thinking about:

Exactly - SISU are arguing the rent isn't due as they have a dispute. They can easily demonstrate that point as ACL have offered concessions - so they clearly agree that there is an issue.

It will be for a different court/hearing to decide who is right on the dispute.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
the thing i find more frustrating than anything else is a lot of the points i made in the original post could have been achieved 5 years ago had the parties worked together instead of increasing acrimonious argument leading to a potential administration.

It might or might not hit administration that isnt certain ..... but did it have to get to this?

Each board of directors must act in the best interests of their own companies first and foremost. It isnt about ACL acting in the best interest of CCFC, (that is a little way down the legal responsibilities) and the reverse applies equally. Decisions have been made and each set of directors is responsible for those they did or indeed didnt make, it is no good CCFC directors blaming others because they fashioned the course they took as did the other set of directors.

But even so.........

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Exactly - SISU are arguing the rent isn't due as they have a dispute. They can easily demonstrate that point as ACL have offered concessions - so they clearly agree that there is an issue.

It will be for a different court/hearing to decide who is right on the dispute.

no it demonstrates that they made a business concession to. assist the clubs financial state..... that was rejected...... it isn't binding nor does it prove there is a flaw in the rental contract or licence.................... so the original contract currently stands.

Users who are viewing this thread