Match Thread Queens Park Rangers - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 30th Sep (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

I hear this sort of stuff and despair sometimes. Mostly our support in the last couple of years has been fantastic. We need to get back to that ….but you will always get loose cannons ( for want of a kinder description ). I’m glad Simms showed he can do it though and that’s the best way of shutting them down.

Agreed - there was a lad in the lower tier bellowing 'what a waste of money' at Haji Wright when we were 3-0 up, so not borne out of any pent up frustration on the day, just thinking he was funny. Tawt.

BlueSkiesForever

I couldn’t make the game yesterday unfortunately but I heard it was a game of two halves, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on what switched us on in the second half? Was it more direct passing or runs from strikers etc that got us the 3 goals? Or was it more just that QPR switched off? Just genuinely interested as to why we scored 3 second half.

BlueSkiesForever

It was on paper. I’m glad I was wrong
Yeah tbf going on the previous results with the same previous team sheets you’d be hard pushed to predict we’d win 3-1. Of course they’ll be some people that would have said we’d win 3-1 or something but I presume the vast majority of people would have said it’ll be a draw or maybe a slim margin win for us. I thought it’d be a draw but also glad I was wrong.
We had been poor for a couple of games before yesterday, don’t think there was anything in wrong in people saying it appeared to be the same old team sheet on paper. The difference was the boys just turned up yesterday and played a lot better, Simms got a goal and probably infused the team with confidence. The big tests come over the next few games, get 4 points or more from Blackburn/Norwich and I think we’ll be in a decent position going forward.

Como

I need to watch it again.

My impression was that we started ok, but as the first half progressed it had the feeling of a bore no score draw.

Second half was different, I remember Oggy mentioning in the first half they were playing both a high line and had slow defenders and it turned out that was their weakness.

Still think the main problem is midfield, yes our defence is not as solid as last year.

Simms and Wright, probably the big issue is what we paid for them, they are OK but do not currently look a good deal.

Not getting excited, QPR are a poor team.

fernandopartridge

I couldn’t make the game yesterday unfortunately but I heard it was a game of two halves, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on what switched us on in the second half? Was it more direct passing or runs from strikers etc that got us the 3 goals? Or was it more just that QPR switched off? Just genuinely interested as to why we scored 3 second half.
Robins read your post about changing formation and ignored it

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Looked to me like playing at a higher tempo really exposed the lack of speed in the QPR defence, they disintegrated

BlueSkiesForever

Robins read your post about changing formation and ignored it
Eyy good one, can trust old Fernando for a jibe 😂
I love how we beat QPR and suddenly we don’t need to worry about the team tactics, still a long old season, and I’m still interested as to why almost every team in the Prem plays 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Maybe this 3-4-1-2 suits our players but I just think it’s a Robins thing. I think he’d play 5 at the back regardless of what team he managed. Fair enough I suppose, that’s his style, I just find it quite defensive, I’m glad we got the win though.

I get the feeling that people on here think that anyone who asks questions or complains about tactics wants us to lose, we’re all Cov fans, it’s just constructive criticism, we all want us to win, I want us to win as many games as possible. Personally I think a box formation or 4-4-2 would help with that, just my take on it. Anyway, I think we’ll be a lot better now Simms has got his goal, just need Haji to do the business. Roll on Blackburn!

clint van damme

Eyy good one, can trust old Fernando for a jibe 😂
I love how we beat QPR and suddenly we don’t need to worry about the team tactics, still a long old season, and I’m still interested as to why almost every team in the Prem plays 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Maybe this 3-4-1-2 suits our players but I just think it’s a Robins thing. I think he’d play 5 at the back regardless of what team he managed. Fair enough I suppose, that’s his style, I just find it quite defensive, I’m glad we got the win though.

I get the feeling that people on here think that anyone who asks questions or complains about tactics wants us to lose, we’re all Cov fans, it’s just constructive criticism, we all want us to win, I want us to win as many games as possible. Personally I think a box formation or 4-4-2 would help with that, just my take on it. Anyway, I think we’ll be a lot better now Simms has got his goal, just need Haji to do the business. Roll on Blackburn!

These premier league teams who play 4 3 3 that you keep banging on about, how many do it without a ball carrier or a box to box midfielder?

BlueSkiesForever

These premier league teams who play 4 3 3 that you keep banging on about, how many do it without a ball carrier or a box to box midfielder?
Good point Clint, give you that one, however in that last comment I did go on to say that I think 4-4-2 could work well, Sheaf and Allen in the midfield, Bidwell LB, Dasilva LW, MVE RB, Saka RW maybe? Just an idea anyway, doesn’t really mean anything as I’ve got no influence on Robins (many of you will be thankful to know 😂).

clint van damme

Good point Clint, give you that one, however in that last comment I did go on to say that I think 4-4-2 could work well, Sheaf and Allen in the midfield, Bidwell LB, Dasilva LW, MVE RB, Saka RW maybe? Just an idea anyway, doesn’t really mean anything as I’ve got no influence on Robins (many of you will be thankful to know 😂).

Before Saturday, the only suggested formation change that made any sense to me given our squad would have been the box, but I think any chance that had of happening is now on the back burner given the result.

Also, think we are one of the highest scorers in the league, I think 7th or 8th, but again conceded late, albeit wasn't much of an issue in the end but I still think that's the biggest concern we should be addressing, happening far to frequently.

Evo1883

Before Saturday, the only suggested formation change that made any sense to me given our squad would have been the box, but I think any chance that had of happening is now on the back burner given the result.

Also, think we are one of the highest scorers in the league, I think 7th or 8th, but again conceded late, albeit wasn't much of an issue in the end but I still think that's the biggest concern we should be addressing, happening far to frequently.
5th highest I think , I'd still suggest dropping into a box formation to hold a lead at the end of a match

BlueSkiesForever

Yeah I think the box is the only formation that would have been used but you’re probably right in saying that we won’t be changing the system any time soon.

Whilst I don’t like arguing with stats (because they’re facts at the end of the day) I find that when I’m watching our games it doesn’t feel like we’re the 7th/8th highest scorers in the league, apart from that second half against QPR it still does feel a bit clunky, yes we scored 6 against Boro and Watford combined but 2 of those were own goals and in most of the other games this season we really have struggled to score goals.

I’m genuinely not a naysayer or doom-monger as some others are on here, I just like being realistic (apart from my wild formation ideas) and I just hope that wasn’t a one-off decent performance against a poor side who apparently haven’t won a home game in 20 games. I’m really looking forward to seeing what we can do against solid championship teams like Blackburn and Norwich, 4 points would be lovely 🙏

Gynnsthetonic

May have already been posted, apologies if so but a friend has just sent this...a Cov fan fighting in the QPR end...

The City fan was the one sitting down with a few mates, they were in corporate wearing lanyards, think the QPR guy in the gillet didn't take to kindly to City scoring and the guys cheering. Picked on the wrong guy as is an ex bouncer and has a bit of a reputation in Coventry

Users who are viewing this thread