Reda Johnson (1 Viewer)

Covstar

His contract is up at the end of the season although we have an option to extend it for a further year. He's only played 17 games in all competitions this season for us mostly due to injury and a few games due to suspension. However, when he has played for us we seem to look much more solid at the back backed up by the fact we have only lost 3 games in his 15 league appearances and we also seem to have a goal threat as evident by the 5 goals he scored in his handful of appearances which puts him just 1 goal behind our top scorers!

So the tricky question is, do we extend his contract and hope he somehow manages to play more than 25 games a season or release him at the end of the season and use the wage budget to find an alternative player?

Otis

His contract is up at the end of the season although we have an option to extend it for a further year. He's only played 17 games in all competitions this season for us mostly due to injury and a few games due to suspension. However, when he has played for us we seem to look much more solid at the back backed up by the fact we have only lost 3 games in his 15 league appearances and we also seem to have a goal threat as evident by the 5 goals he scored in his handful of appearances which puts him just 1 goal behind our top scorers!

So the tricky question is, do we extend his contract and hope he somehow manages to play more than 25 games a season or release him at the end of the season and use the wage budget to find an alternative player?

I think we look elsewhere. If we can't find anyone to replace him, then maybe we can keep him for another year, but do any of us actually believe he will stay injury free next season?

stupot07

Pay as you play or no contract for me. His injury record is shocking over the last 6-7 seasons, this year isn't a one off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Tonylinc

Keep him. His lack of appearances this season is to some extent down to SP's bad management. I know that his career record is not good but with TM's management hopefully that will change. I think that it is worth the gamble.

edgy

Do pay as you play contracts exist? If so, give him one.

When fit, a very useful player.

stupot07

14/15 - 16 league games (38%), 4 to play
13/14 - 20 league games (43%)
12/13 - 16 league games ( 33%)
11/12 - 24 league games (52%)
10/11 - 33 league games (71%)
09/10 - 25 league games (54%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Keep him. His lack of appearances this season is to some extent down to SP's bad management. I know that his career record is not good but with TM's management hopefully that will change. I think that it is worth the gamble.

The problem is we've been here before:
Mcpake
Bell
Deegan
O'neill
mcNamee.

To name but a few. I imagine he's on of the highest paid players in the squad as well. You cannot fault the resukts when he plays but when resources are so tight, can you afford to waste money on players that play less than half a season?

Tonylinc

Figures can prove and disprove anything. We know from experience that if you can keep him fit and motivated that he is an extremely good player for us. That is why I say keep him and TM is the person who can get the best out of him.

stupot07

Figures can prove and disprove anything. We know from experience that if you can keep him fit and motivated that he is an extremely good player for us. That is why I say keep him and TM is the person who can get the best out of him.

How do you keep him fit when he appears to be made of glass?

The appearance figures are facts, they prove how much he featured in the first team in league games.

Tonylinc

How do you keep him fit when he appears to be made of glass?

The appearance figures are facts, they prove how much he featured in the first team in league games.

OK, my argument has holes in it. I just have a feeling that TM will change all of that and keep him motivated to play more games. I may well be wrong but if he is central to out promotion next year I will remind you of this conversation.

stupot07

OK, my argument has holes in it. I just have a feeling that TM will change all of that and keep him motivated to play more games. I may well be wrong but if he is central to out promotion next year I will remind you of this conversation.

If we get promoted next year, anyone can remind me of any conversation!!!! I'll be too happy to care!!

I think for me, it's a case of once bitten twice shy. If you could guarantee he would be fit for 35+ league games I wouldn't hesitate in signing him.

pusbccfc

There is no doubt that with him we are a better side.

If we can get him on lower wages, then he should definitely be kept.

Sky Blue Dal

14/15 - 16 league games (38%), 4 to play
13/14 - 20 league games (43%)
12/13 - 16 league games ( 33%)
11/12 - 24 league games (52%)
10/11 - 33 league games (71%)
09/10 - 25 league games (54%)

These statistic does not give us a true picture of Reda's fitness.

These stats most likely also on top of matches missed due to injury also include number of games he has missed because he may have been out of favour with his previous clubs e.g not being good enough to be in the first team squad or matches missed due to suspentions or personal reasons.

But I do agree we should try and get him a contract that includes pay per match.

H

Huckerby

What? How are some of his lack of appearances down to SPs bad management? The guys a fucking nut job and made of glass

rupert_bear

The thing is Tony Mowbray or whoever is going to have a limited budget, there will be no in coming fee for Johnson, so I would keep him for another season rather than use up finance replacing a good centre back if fit. If manager I think Mowbray will see Johnson as leader type and take a risk on him and use any money elsewhere.

SkyBlueScottie

These statistic does not give us a true picture of Reda's fitness.

These stats most likely also on top of matches missed due to injury also include number of games he has missed because he may have been out of favour with his previous clubs e.g not being good enough to be in the first team squad or matches missed due to suspentions or personal reasons.

But I do agree we should try and get him a contract that includes pay per match.
whichever way look at it, its not painting a brilliant picture of him.

johnwillomagic

Hmm if we could get him on reduced wages or pay as you play deal ...yes .....if not let go and free up wages to get another decent more reliable defender in.
I think Mowbray could do better with money tbh......his first loan signing of Ward was good and excites me that TM will get better loans in and also use limited spending budget
far better than sp. Time will tell!!

Hobo

It shows how poor we have been when so many are luv'd up to Reda Johnson. Especially when they say his lack of appearances this season is down to bad management? He has played for a lot of bad managers in his career obviously.

Johnnythespider

I'm reminded of the situation with Paul McGrath some years back, he was basically wrapped in cotton wool between games as his knees were fooked, he never had to train and was just rolled out to play matches. This would be my approach with Johnson, and only give him a years extension at a time.

I am a preacher when I got it on me, and I got it on me,
but holy cow these fuckers are ignoring me, I'm from another century

rupert_bear

What exactly has been Johnson's injuries is it one particular recurring one or a load of different ones don't think he has had an op or anything or are we saying he was swinging the lead

johnwillomagic

To be fair Johnson is not anywhere near as good as Paul McGrath though and do not think McGrath was the number one earner at the club either

Johnnythespider

To be fair Johnson is not anywhere near as good as Paul McGrath though and do not think McGrath was the number one earner at the club either
No, I agree he is nowhere near as good as McGrath, our results with him in the side though are reason enough to take a punt. Unless of course Mowbray has better lined up.

Nick

Administrator
No, I agree he is nowhere near as good as McGrath, our results with him in the side though are reason enough to take a punt. Unless of course Mowbray has better lined up.

What's the last paragraph about?

johnwillomagic

It will be interesting to see what decision TM plumps for Spider .....there will always be players who are worth making exceptions for......McGrath you have mentioned
Ledley KIng is another U can think of.

I suppose it depends if "relatively" speaking TM views Johnson as being worth risk - also players above although wrapped in cotton wool did play matches regularly!!

Consistency is key and although Reda is clearly a better option than some of our other defenders when he is fit, his fitness record speaks for itself so he rarely is an option. Clearly has quality but having to change things around to accommodate him for the weeks he is fit has caused us problems. Wish he would be fit enough to play all season but he obviously never will be. Would rather have somebody in the back four with a bit less quality who will be fit for at least 40 games. Get rid. Frees up wages and gets rid of a headache for Tony Mowbray or whoever is in charge next season.

Johnnythespider

What's the last paragraph about?
As Grendel said, it's elbow lyrics. Tried to change signature on my profile but comes up on Tapatalk like that, that's me and technology for you I will try and change it later.

cornoccfc

A huge presence in the side, but being in and out through fitness is a pain

no_loyalty

Get rid of him, too injury prone and buggers off to play international football every now and then

Woodster

Pay as you play deal?

Surely most other clubs will now be reluctant to offer him a standard contract, in fact I reckon that was the case last season too. If we can agree terms that suits both parties then keep hold of him, because (and I have quiestionned his professionalism at times) when the man plays more times than not we pick up points.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Not an option I am afraid. He is a luxury we can't afford to carry next season, with TM's connections and status I think he would be able to attract better quality players than we now have. I expect a rebuild with a smaller squad, the emphasis will be on better players and loosing the dead wood over the summer if he decides to stay that is. Once again the ball will be in Sisu's court and down to their ambition.

J

Jack Griffin

I already mentioned this...

There was a post on CET comments saying he should have a contract on pay as you play terms.
I know he has a 1 year option, but if it isn't on terms like that then no way should the club take it up.

TBH I think he will be gone at the end of the season, but he should have plenty motivation to putting in some good performances in the remaining games, otherwise how is he gong to get another contract anywhere!

edgy

Mowbray has praised him after one game against poor opposition. I think he'll be here next season.

Users who are viewing this thread