Religious intolerance (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Yes until the insults and shit comments started coming out.

jsut ignore martcov when he gets like that. and travelfarandwise hasnt returned so no need to continue taking that one out on others.

Captain Dart

i said the underlying message seems to be the same from what i have read. i did not say they are all the same

On the contrary, I think martcov nailed it when he identified god as a deep psychological need for a father (or mother ) figure to protect against many and dangerous unknowns.

covcity4life

On the contrary, I think martcov nailed it when he identified god as a deep psychological need for a father (or mother ) figure to protect against many and dangerous unknowns.

prove it.

thats right you cant.

and i cant either. thats why i treat those who have faith in mans science with respect.

CRAZY I KNOW?

NorthernWisdom

i am kinda disappointed with some posters int his thread tbh. acting like bratty teenagers unless people agree with them. thought this could have been a nice debate thread where everyone gets on and throws their 2 cents in.

Religion will never do that... even more so as it's one of those things especially where, by its definition, people tend to be entrenched.

My own personal view is if people don't try to impose their views on me, I won't try and impose mine on them. With that philosophy, I'm trying to keep out of this thread to avoid doing the latter bit ;)

Astute

you are playing victim. you have completely lost your head over 1 line on a forum.

take some deep breaths
Victim about what?

I suppose I should just keep quiet when you and others make uncalled for comments.

Monners

i am kinda disappointed with some posters int his thread tbh. acting like bratty teenagers unless people agree with them. thought this could have been a nice debate thread where everyone gets on and throws their 2 cents in.
I did debate. I asked you to read around the science on the big bang for example as you referred to how atoms and partilcles are formed. My interjection on the thread was because you said science was written by humans and suggested it was made up. I am telling you that it isn't. You appeared to choose to ignore the points I was making At no point did I question your beliefs. What have you got to lose by reading up on scientific literature.

covcity4life

I did debate. I asked you to read around the science on the big bang for example as you referred to how atoms and partilcles are formed. My interjection on the thread was because you said science was written by humans and suggested it was made up. I am telling you that it isn't. You appeared to choose to ignore the points I was making At no point did I question your beliefs. What have you got to lose by reading up on scientific literature.

nothing at all. you shouldnt take offence to my post. what im saying is no matter what is written about sceince by man(and it is man who figured it out) there is still always going to be a "but what created THAT" question

thats all im saying. you can say what came before god. i totally get that. i just dont understand how one can be snobby about god but think human being doing tests and experiments has answered all our questions when it clearly hasnt. there a billions of galaxies etc..how did it all start? big bang doesnt answer all that.

me not reading up is simply cos im at work. im not trying to be rude and dismiss your beliefs.i am saying for me there is always a another question that science cant answer. for me being rude is saying invisible friend etc, theres way mature adult ways to put that sorta stuff imo

as i said dont think of me as religious nut. im just someone who takes a different look on life i guess and ive said many times be it god or science this world is miraculous and mind blowing.

Liquid Gold

People should be allowed to believe whatever the fuck they want, provided it doesn't cause harm to anybody else. But I find the whole idea of organised religion uncomfortable. Organisations need people to control them and people are inherently flawed.

covcity4life

agreed. people are flawed. if people stuck to basics of religion wed be in some sort of utopia

lets face it todays world is some sort of dark age in some ways.

Monners

nothing at all. you shouldnt take offence to my post. what im saying is no matter what is written about sceince by man(and it is man who figured it out) there is still always going to be a "but what created THAT" question

thats all im saying. you can say what came before god. i totally get that. i just dont understand how one can be snobby about god but think human being doing tests and experiments has answered all our questions when it clearly hasnt. there a billions of galaxies etc..how did it all start? big bang doesnt answer all that.

me not reading up is simply cos im at work. im not trying to be rude and dismiss your beliefs.i am saying for me there is always a another question that science cant answer. for me being rude is saying invisible friend etc, theres way mature adult ways to put that sorta stuff imo

as i said dont think of me as religious nut. im just someone who takes a different look on life i guess and ive said many times be it god or science this world is miraculous and mind blowing.
I haven't taken any offence, merely tried to debate. Science does not have all th answers and doesn't claim to, but does have many (tested an evidenced as mentioned in an earlier post) on the origins of the universe. If you wish, I will forward some text titles which will make for an informing read.

As far as God is concerned, I have never seen or been presented with any evidence that points towards his/her/its existence. Please bear in mind that I was brought up as a church goer in a religious household, so I like to think I approach this from a resonably well informed position

covcity4life

I haven't taken any offence, merely tried to debate. Science does not have all th answers and doesn't claim to, but does have many (tested an evidenced as mentioned in an earlier post) on the origins of the universe. If you wish, I will forward some text titles which will make for an informing read.

As far as God is concerned, I have never seen or been presented with any evidence that points towards his/her/its existence. Please bear in mind that I was brought up as a church goer in a religious household, so I like to think I approach this from a resonably well informed position

yeah send them over. always happy to learn more about this world.

and no issues at all with you not believing in a god. sometimes i am not sure what i believe!

Gazolba

"God works in mysterious ways".
That's the answer I invariably got to my probing questions in the religious counselling I had to have before I married a Catholic woman.

Gazolba

People should be allowed to believe whatever the fuck they want, provided it doesn't cause harm to anybody else. But I find the whole idea of organised religion uncomfortable. Organisations need people to control them and people are inherently flawed.
Not the Pope, he is supposed to be infallible.

Gazolba

you should have explained to him you know how everything came about.
I didn't have to do that, I simply asked "why does God allow millions of people to starve to death in famines?" The answer was that he works in mysterious ways.

martcov

agreed. people are flawed. if people stuck to basics of religion wed be in some sort of utopia

lets face it todays world is some sort of dark age in some ways.

People are sticking to the basics of various religions. They are murdering and killing, torturing, enslaving, robbing - the whole lot - and justifying it on the basics of religion. Their religion is the only true one and anyone who doesn't believe that is fair game to do whatever particular evil thing they have in mind to. That is not Utopia.

Sky Blue Pete

People are sticking to the basics of various religions. They are murdering and killing, torturing, enslaving, robbing - the whole lot - and justifying it on the basics of religion. Their religion is the only true one and anyone who doesn't believe that is fair game to do whatever particular evil thing they have in mind to. That is not Utopia.
It also has nothing to do with the Christian faith I believe.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

For god loved the world in this way that he gave his son to show us how to live and die to show how love is the only hope for our world

martcov

jsut ignore martcov when he gets like that. and travelfarandwise hasnt returned so no need to continue taking that one out on others.

What insult? I likened people needing reassurance through religion to a baby sucking a dummy. The baby feels he is sucking his mother's nipple and that gives him a feeling of security, so he ( or she ) stops crying. Religious people seem to be attracted to the thought of a heavenly father protecting them. As with the baby, they gain a feeling of security and can go about their lives with less fear. They think that when they die they will be in paradise. I can see why people do that, but there is no evidence that there is a heavenly being or an afterlife. Just as with the baby, his mother is not there ( in his mouth ), but he happily sucks his dummy.

martcov

It also has nothing to do with the Christian faith I believe.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

For god loved the world in this way that he gave his son to show us how to live and die to show how love is the only hope for our world

Really. Which god? Your god per chance? A bit unfair on all the other gods. Did he show us how to live? Treat others as you would have them treat you....very nice. Do we only think that that is sensible because a Judean hippy said so? Or do other people who have never heard of Jesus' teachings also act in that way? Which tribe kills and murders each other because of non religious reasons? Most people just want to get on with their lives.... it is only when some nut - mainly religious, but they don't have a monopoly - starts winding people up that "normal" people get sucked in to doing bad things.

trevelfarandwide

No-one has to prove what you feel or believe in. That's your thing. Enjoy believing crap. If you want to impress us, please offer one bit of evidence which can be substantiated at any time by anyone - including Muslims, Hindus, Ancestor Worshippers etc. Etc.. When you have shown us that, we and the other 7 billion inhabitants of the planet will admit that your belief is not crap after all and everyone will join you in eternal bliss. Until then you are talking crap and need help. Non belief in your god is actually beneficial. You can learn about things and have reasonable opinions based on known facts or great probability. You can maybe heal people with your knowledge, but if you waste your time reading the works of ignorant Palestinian peasants, and follow their somewhat ridiculous laws and violent ways, you will never help the rest of our kind - a part of the "ape family" - which we most obviously are. With or without Darwin, just look at us and see how we behave. Then check our DNA.

At no point have I forced religion on ANYONE here, but to see all of you touchy little Atheists, up in arms over an innocent remark, is precisely what I predicted.

Doesn't take much, does it? Nice way to show what a spiteful, hate-filled man you are, in a thread entitled 'religious intolerance'.

I can tell you've been watching Dawkins, you're almost paraphrasing his ignorant, abominable bile. This is precisely my point; you all follow the leader, and tear down anyone with a view different to theirs, and pick up the SLIGHTEST remark that's made erroneously or unintentionally, and jump on them like a pack of hyenas.

Here's a thought; do your own research, have an original perspective instead of dragging your knuckles behind an obnoxious, social engineer like Dawkins. And all of his predecessors. Here's an even better thought; find out what illustrious 'club' they all belong to, hmm? That's how I started, and believe me, I was even more of a blinkered, insensitive boor than you.

You are without a soul, sir, so bear that in mind when you're enjoying your own crap. :)

Liquid Gold

Not the Pope, he is supposed to be infallible.
giphy.gif

martcov

At no point have I forced religion on ANYONE here, but to see all of you touchy little Atheists, up in arms over an innocent remark, is precisely what I predicted.

Doesn't take much, does it? Nice way to show what a spiteful, hate-filled man you are, in a thread entitled 'religious intolerance'.

I can tell you've been watching Dawkins, you're almost paraphrasing his ignorant, abominable bile. This is precisely my point; you all follow the leader, and tear down anyone with a view different to theirs, and pick up the SLIGHTEST remark that's made erroneously or unintentionally, and jump on them like a pack of hyenas.

Here's a thought; do your own research, have an original perspective instead of dragging your knuckles behind an obnoxious, social engineer like Dawkins. And all of his predecessors. Here's an even better thought; find out what illustrious 'club' they all belong to, hmm? That's how I started, and believe me, I was even more of a blinkered, insensitive boor than you.

You are without a soul, sir, so bear that in mind when you're enjoying your own crap. :)

No, I don't have a soul, but I am a nice guy and I am more than happy with that.

Your views are ridiculous and you are deluded. You happen to believe in one of many gods and in one of many different interpretations of the same religion.

You have blind faith, but no evidence to justify your views.

Sorry, but I don't hate you and I am not intolerant. As I said, believe your crap if you so wish, but until you come up with some evidence supporting your particular religion, I shall be very tempted to tear you down at every opportunity. That out of enjoyment, not hate.

trevelfarandwide

Yes until the insults and shit comments started coming out.

Listen, why are you so touchy, even after I apologised for any misunderstanding, hmm? I don't set out to offend anyone, however I can be just as thoroughly cuntish as covmark if people try to dog-pile me with their hatred and pettiness.

You jumped on a comment that was made in innocence, and it in no way related to anyone on this forum; though still, you decided to take the emotionally outraged approach and start with the unwarranted rebukes. Really? Were you that outraged by the opinion of a mere Christian? If I were as aggressive and petulant as some of the Atheists on here, I'd be called an Extremist and a fucking nutcase.

Blame is always portioned out upon the easiest of targets, and my friend, I am not one of those. The blame for this thread turning from a jokey, well-natured discussion to a nasty one, lies firmly in the Atheist camp.

Instead of baring your teeth at me, and plying me with loaded questions, find the answers you require from within. Whatever our differences, surely you're not beyond spirituality and the wisdom that lies within your soul, waiting to be unlocked.
Level whatever accusations you want at me, in any manner you wish, I'm not being backed into a corner by anyone. And I'm certainly not going anywhere, so you'll just have to tolerate me. I am a Christian, you are an Atheist - we're still the same flesh and blood, and this world has enough hatred within it as it is, without even more division over trivial matters.

Peace to you, and your family, because despite our differences, I know you're a good man. I don't hold grudges either, by the way. :)

Astute

Touchy little atheists?
Predicted that you would make an innocent remark that would have people up in arms?

The insult was directed at me. It wasn't an innocent remark. It was out of order. Now you are trying to make out it was an innocent remark. It would be like me saying that anyone who believes in God is thick and has a screw or few missing. Then me saying that it was an innocent remark.

Astute

Listen, why are you so touchy, even after I apologised for any misunderstanding, hmm? I don't set out to offend anyone, however I can be just as thoroughly cuntish as covmark if people try to dog-pile me with their hatred and pettiness.

You jumped on a comment that was made in innocence, and it in no way related to anyone on this forum; though still, you decided to take the emotionally outraged approach and start with the unwarranted rebukes. Really? Were you that outraged by the opinion of a mere Christian? If I were as aggressive and petulant as some of the Atheists on here, I'd be called an Extremist and a fucking nutcase.

Blame is always portioned out upon the easiest of targets, and my friend, I am not one of those. The blame for this thread turning from a jokey, well-natured discussion to a nasty one, lies firmly in the Atheist camp.

Instead of baring your teeth at me, and plying me with loaded questions, find the answers you require from within. Whatever our differences, surely you're not beyond spirituality and the wisdom that lies within your soul, waiting to be unlocked.
Level whatever accusations you want at me, in any manner you wish, I'm not being backed into a corner by anyone. And I'm certainly not going anywhere, so you'll just have to tolerate me. I am a Christian, you are an Atheist - we're still the same flesh and blood, and this world has enough hatred within it as it is, without even more division over trivial matters.

Peace to you, and your family, because despite our differences, I know you're a good man. I don't hold grudges either, by the way. :)
Because you are still making excuses for what you said.

trevelfarandwide

No, I don't have a soul, but I am a nice guy and I am more than happy with that.

Your views are ridiculous and you are deluded. You happen to believe in one of many gods and in one of many different interpretations of the same religion.

You have blind faith, but no evidence to justify your views.

Sorry, but I don't hate you and I am not intolerant. As I said, believe your crap if you so wish, but until you come up with some evidence supporting your particular religion, I shall be very tempted to tear you down at every opportunity. That out of enjoyment, not hate.

Indeed, ignore the core of the post I made, and go straight for the cuntish, childish baiting. Typical response. You assume I'm a Bible-humper, yes? No, I'm not.

Evidence, evidence, evidence...again, how can I prove to you that God exists? How can I prove to you that I have felt the presence of Jesus Christ? I can't, so stop asking those ridiculous questions. ''My particular religion'', what? What is that? I'm a Christian, not a Catholic or a Mormon, does that help? Shall I guide you through what actual Christianity is?

Oh, and all of the Darwinian, Newtonian doctrines and 'Scientific' laws you made your stand upon, are actually theories. Look it up. I hate to burst your bubble, but they're theories. Not laws, theories. Is that clear?

Feel free to try and tear me down, lad, you won't succeed. Your pals may think you're a nice guy, but you're not. Oh, and claiming you're not intolerant in one breath, then stating you'll tear me down at every opportunity in the next (over INTOLERANCE OF MY RELIGION) makes you a very, very large hypocrite.

Didn't think it through did you, well, what a surprise. Bye, mate.

Anyone else want to join the dog-pile?

trevelfarandwide

Touchy little atheists?
Predicted that you would make an innocent remark that would have people up in arms?

The insult was directed at me. It wasn't an innocent remark. It was out of order. Now you are trying to make out it was an innocent remark. It would be like me saying that anyone who believes in God is thick and has a screw or few missing. Then me saying that it was an innocent remark.

Yes, touchy little Atheists.

If you can't be humble to an apology, then you're not the sort of person I wish to speak to. Perhaps you should apologise for insulting me personally? Nah, that's ok right? That was innocent too, I'm guessing.

Unbelievable. But hey, you'll get a few likes and your mates will love your anti-hero stance on this.

trevelfarandwide

you are playing victim. you have completely lost your head over 1 line on a forum.

take some deep breaths

Even a humble apology didn't do it, bounced off him like a bullet off Batman. Unreal, mate. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread