Religious intolerance (9 Viewers)

trevelfarandwide

It also has nothing to do with the Christian faith I believe.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

For god loved the world in this way that he gave his son to show us how to live and die to show how love is the only hope for our world

Well, I tried.

Astute

Yes, touchy little Atheists.

If you can't be humble to an apology, then you're not the sort of person I wish to speak to. Perhaps you should apologise for insulting me personally? Nah, that's ok right? That was innocent too, I'm guessing.

Unbelievable. But hey, you'll get a few likes and your mates will love your anti-hero stance on this.
I am on here for a debate. Nothing more.

So the stupid comments continue yet you can't work out why you are pissing me off?

Yes good idea. I don't wish to continue a debate with someone who only wants to listen to people with similar views and mock the rest whilst wanting to be taken seriously by everyone. But then gets upset when those that you have mocked when you get some crap back.

martcov

Indeed, ignore the core of the post I made, and go straight for the cuntish, childish baiting. Typical response. You assume I'm a Bible-humper, yes? No, I'm not.

Evidence, evidence, evidence...again, how can I prove to you that God exists? How can I prove to you that I have felt the presence of Jesus Christ? I can't, so stop asking those ridiculous questions. ''My particular religion'', what? What is that? I'm a Christian, not a Catholic or a Mormon, does that help? Shall I guide you through what actual Christianity is?

Oh, and all of the Darwinian, Newtonian doctrines and 'Scientific' laws you made your stand upon, are actually theories. Look it up. I hate to burst your bubble, but they're theories. Not laws, theories. Is that clear?

Feel free to try and tear me down, lad, you won't succeed. Your pals may think you're a nice guy, but you're not. Oh, and claiming you're not intolerant in one breath, then stating you'll tear me down at every opportunity in the next (over INTOLERANCE OF MY RELIGION) makes you a very, very large hypocrite.

Didn't think it through did you, well, what a surprise. Bye, mate.

Anyone else want to join the dog-pile?

Amazing. A rant from a Christian. I am not intolerant of your religion. I find your views ridiculous and not based on evidence. Yes, you are deluded. You keep on proving it by your rants in defence of your imaginary friend. You call your imaginary friend Jesus, but others have imaginary friends too - some call theirs Muhammed for example.

In science a theory is as proven as you can get. It is, in effect, counted as proven fact unless someone can prove otherwise. Religion is bullshit, unless you can prove otherwise - which no-one has up until now. You are using the wrong definition of the word "theory". You mean theory in the non-scientific sense of "hypothesis".

Astute

Just gonna leave this here :bag:

Just like I said at the start of this thread.

Fry is a very intelligent person. Most very intelligent people have the same view. And towards the end it covers exactly what Trev is all about.

I don't know how anyone could disagree. And what Fry has said is very similar to what I and others have said. Nobody knows for sure. But.........

ccfc92

This time last year, a family friend passed away. He ate healthily, hardly drank, exercised every day, was religious himself and was struck down with terminal cancer at 55, leaving behind two young children, 10 and 12. Just to add to that, his wife was diagnosed with a form of cancer at a similar time (same "ideal" lifestyle), so not only has the family had to deal with losing him, she is regularly in hospital for treatment.

Fast forward to now, one of my close friends who is 28, has two boys 1 and 3, and has been told he has terminal brain tumours, despite beating skin cancer 2 years ago.

This sort of scenario makes Stephen Fry's opinion and "rant" hard to disagree with.

ccfc92

Just like I said at the start of this thread.

Fry is a very intelligent person. Most very intelligent people have the same view. And towards the end it covers exactly what Trev is all about.

I don't know how anyone could disagree. And what Fry has said is very similar to what I and others have said. Nobody knows for sure. But.........

It's an incredibly intellectual response. Something off the cuff that we mere commoners could only dream of thinking about.

Even the whiny American at the end has some good points. Specifically, the 1-7 rating of Atheists, most are a 6.

Astute

This time last year, a family friend passed away. He ate healthily, hardly drank, exercised every day, was religious himself and was struck down with terminal cancer at 55, leaving behind two young children, 10 and 12. Just to add to that, his wife was diagnosed with a form of cancer at a similar time (same "ideal" lifestyle), so not only has the family had to deal with losing him, she is regularly in hospital for treatment.

Fast forward to now, one of my close friends who is 28, has two boys 1 and 3, and has been told he has terminal brain tumours, despite beating skin cancer 2 years ago.

This sort of scenario makes Stephen Fry's opinion and "rant" hard to disagree with.
Last year I lost 6 members of my family in less than a year. Only 2 expected. 1 through age and the other through ongoing ill health. The youngest was just before he was 2. Counted as cot death because of age.

Astute

It's an incredibly intellectual response. Something off the cuff that we mere commoners could only dream of thinking about.

Even the whiny American at the end has some good points. Specifically, the 1-7 rating of Atheists, most are a 6.
Only what has been said on here. But by different people on different posts.

To me if there was a God the terminal illnesses would go to people like priests that do what they shouldn't.

ccfc92

One thing in favour of religion however, I did have a Medium randomly talk to me, and she was specific about things she couldn't possibly have known beforehand. She didn't even ask leading questions. That does make me think maybe it's not just "lights out" at the end.

ccfc92

Only what has been said on here. But by different people on different posts.

To me if there was a God the terminal illnesses would go to people like priests that do what they shouldn't.

I just meant we've thought about it, he reeled it off, off the the top of his head :)

Agreed, about the hypocritical bar stewards (Priests) :mad:

Astute

One thing in favour of religion however, I did have a Medium randomly talk to me, and she was specific about things she couldn't possibly have known beforehand. She didn't even ask leading questions. That does make me think maybe it's not just "lights out" at the end.
I like the occasional wager. After billions of years what are the odds of you being alive now and never before?

Yes there are questions that can't be answered. There are a few theories. But that is all they are. Theories.

trevelfarandwide

Just gonna leave this here :bag:

This smarmy paedophile is an idol of yours?

It actually makes it very easy to disagree with, since the man in question is not only a charlatan, but a confirmed paedophile. Also, the opinion of a Luciferian (he's not an Atheist, I promise you) is hardly likely to be anything but deceitful and misdirecting. You'll not find this information in mainstream media, by the way. Nothing of substance is found there.

God is not responsible for the afflictions of this world; this is what nobody here understands. Our fates are predetermined, written out in the annals to come. Life is cruel, harse, tragic, sorrowful and inescapably miserable for the best part of anyone's life; I too have been touched by tragedy, loss and terrible depression...this LED me to God, and I soon realised that life is not meant to be a breeze, or indeed peaceful and romantic. It's a shit sandwich, bitten into daily.

I'm truly sorry for the losses, the turmoil and the suffering you and your brethren have endured. My heart is sorrowful at anyone's personal grief and loss. This, however, does not give anyone the right to blame it on God. It's not how it 'works', in the grand scheme of things.

trevelfarandwide

I just meant we've thought about it, he reeled it off, off the the top of his head :)

Agreed, about the hypocritical bar stewards (Priests) :mad:

Again, this does not apply to Christianity. This applies to Catholism, and the many 'branches' of Christianity it is has assimilated into it's grasp and doctrines. Of course, there are so, so many good and righteous Catholics, but at it's core...well, it's rotten. To say the least.

There is nothing Holy about churches, masses etc, because the Bible states church practises and traditions as worthless. 'Men' of the cloth, those that use their positions to prey upon innocent children, are abominations. Death is what they deserve, but I'm not the one to judge them.

ccfc92

It actually makes it very easy to disagree with, since the man in question is not only a charlatan, but a confirmed paedophile. Also, the opinion of a Luciferian (he's not an Atheist, I promise you) is hardly likely to be anything but deceitful and misdirecting. You'll not find this information in mainstream media, by the way. Nothing of substance is found there.

God is not responsible for the afflictions of this world; this is what nobody here understands. Our fates are predetermined, written out in the annals to come. Life is cruel, harse, tragic, sorrowful and inescapably miserable for the best part of anyone's life; I too have been touched by tragedy, loss and terrible depression...this LED me to God, and I soon realised that life is not meant to be a breeze, or indeed peaceful and romantic. It's a shit sandwich, bitten into daily.

I'm truly sorry for the losses, the turmoil and the suffering you and your brethren have endured. My heart is sorrowful at anyone's personal grief and loss. This, however, does not give anyone the right to blame it on God. It's not how it 'works', in the grand scheme of things.

Those are some strong statements. Also, I'd strongly recommend you reconsider your wording about people "Idolising Paedophiles".

I assume you can provide evidence for your allegations about SF?

shmmeee

Those are some strong statements. Also, I'd strongly recommend you reconsider your wording about people "Idolising Paedophiles".

I assume you can provide evidence for your allegations about SF?

Probably thinks all gay people are pedos.

shmmeee

I actually Googled (christ, let's hope Mrs. Wisdom doesn't check what I look at on this ere internet, eh!) and came across some truly mental site that also suggested he was responsible for Rik Mayall and Jill Dando's death, in collusion with Cliff Richard.

Mental, I say.

Oh well, if it's on the Internet, I take it back. Lock him up i say.

And apologies to trevel, that was uncalled for. I'm sure he's not homophobic.

trevelfarandwide

Probably thinks all gay people are pedos.

Nah, that'd be presumptuous. Just because you're conditioned to believe Christianity abhors homosexuals, doesn't make it so.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that homosexuals are to be subjected to hatred, prejudice or discrimination. So if you're going to make assumptions based on misinformation, you're likely to be corrected this way.

Y'know this evidence and research that Atheists crave? Perhaps they should gather their own before publicly embarrassing themselves with base ignorance. :)

trevelfarandwide

I actually Googled (christ, let's hope Mrs. Wisdom doesn't check what I look at on this ere internet, eh!) and came across some truly mental site that also suggested he was responsible for Rik Mayall and Jill Dando's death, in collusion with Cliff Richard.

Mental, I say.

Yeah, that's pretty mental. Cliff Richard has been living in Portugal for years. :)

shmmeee

Nah, that'd be presumptuous. Just because you're conditioned to believe Christianity abhors homosexuals, doesn't make it so.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that homosexuals are to be subjected to hatred, prejudice or discrimination. So if you're going to make assumptions based on misinformation, you're likely to be corrected this way.

Y'know this evidence and research that Atheists crave? Perhaps they should gather their own before publicly embarrassing themselves with base ignorance. :)

I apologised, it was presumptuous. But you did claim Stephen Fry was a pedo with no evidence and you do subscribe to the same belief system as this guy:

fred-phelps.jpg

so I can live with the mistake.

Anyway, being a guy that deals in reason and not ideology, I have changed my opinion based on this new evidence. Look at that.

ccfc92

Yeah.....

If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act;they shall surely be put to death.Their blood guiltiness is upon them.

Leviticus 20:13

shmmeee

And the rest:

• Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."1
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
  • Romans 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

shmmeee

See people still have trouble understanding

I do not know what came before god and im not pretending too

From what i have read god existed inbthenbeginning the now and thebfuture. Everything starts and ends with god. We can only look at time as humans. Linear

I mean thats the sort of stuff i understabd makes little sense. Bit its also sort of stuff thay blows my mind when i think about it

So once again ill say it. Like the tv show lost

Wether yoi are man of faith or man of science noone can prove they are right

So stop wasting time trying to do it.

From Storm in my previous post:

Conversation is initially bright and light-hearted
But it's not long before Storm gets started:
You cant know anything,
Knowledge is merely opinion
She opines, over her Cabernet Sauvignon
Vis--vis,
Some un-hippily
Empirical comment made by me

Not a good start I think
We're only on pre-dinner drinks
And across the room, my wife
Widens her eyes
Silently begs me, Be Nice
A matrimonial warning
Not worth ignoring
So I resist the urge to ask Storm
Whether knowledge is so loose-weave
Of a morning
When deciding whether to leave
Her apartment by the front door
Or a window on the second floor.

trevelfarandwide

Just a thought, for the Atheist community on SBT: you pride yourselves on intelligence, factual knowledge, insights of deep esoteric thinking and a thirst for true meaning in this universe. My advice is this: do so, but before you attack, mock and dog-pile someone who believes in a Higher realm of spirituality and love, with pettiness and indignity, try absorbing some factual evidence on Scriptures and Christian doctrines.
This will enable you to understand someone who lives their life via the Grace of God. And also, the factual information you gather, will dispel this strange obsession you have with getting true Christianity completely wrong.

We are not extremists, we are not self-righteous Bible-humpers. We simply have the answers to our questions, whereas you do not.

Imagine if a brother in Islam was treated this way, or a brother of Judaic extraction? You wouldn't do it, because society tells you that you cannot discriminate against these people. Society deems it acceptable, however, for Christians to be ridiculed, oppressed and dismissed as objects of archaic idiocy. Is this permissible?

Just a thought, but I doubt it will break any egos, sadly. Luckily, this delightful place has an ignore button. :)

I truly wish you all the very best, whether you have a God or not. Hatred is something I gave up a long time ago. Try it, it's very underrated.

ccfc92

I've just re-read what you've posted, and your counter argument, is to accuse Fry of being a Paedophile? No actual counter argument, just a dismissive, un-founded accusation of someone.

shmmeee

Just a thought, for the Atheist community on SBT: you pride yourselves on intelligence, factual knowledge, insights of deep esoteric thinking and a thirst for true meaning in this universe. My advice is this: do so, but before you attack, mock and dog-pile someone who believes in a Higher realm of spirituality and love, with pettiness and indignity, try absorbing some factual evidence on Scriptures and Christian doctrines.
This will enable you to understand someone who lives their life via the Grace of God. And also, the factual information you gather, will dispel this strange obsession you have with getting true Christianity completely wrong.

We are not extremists, we are not self-righteous Bible-humpers. We simply have the answers to our questions, whereas you do not.

Imagine if a brother in Islam was treated this way, or a brother of Judaic extraction? You wouldn't do it, because society tells you that you cannot discriminate against these people. Society deems it acceptable, however, for Christians to be ridiculed, oppressed and dismissed as objects of archaic idiocy. Is this permissible?

Just a thought, but I doubt it will break any egos, sadly. Luckily, this delightful place has an ignore button. :)

I truly wish you all the very best, whether you have a God or not. Hatred is something I gave up a long time ago. Try it, it's very underrated.

"Hey guys, you just need to listen to other opinions. Now excuse me while I put everyone who makes me feel uncomfortable about my beliefs on ignore"

And yes, no matter what sky fairy you believe in I'll tell you you're deluded.

Wooly thinking is dangerous. It gives us Islamic terror and Donald Trump. The Enlightenment was the best thing ever to happen to humanity. Anyone who wants to take us back to the dark ages of disease and prejudice can get fucked.

ccfc92

I don't believe anyone is on the "attack" are they?

You've accused me of idolising a paedophile, do not clarify what you meant (never mind apologising), then say you will block people who disagree with you? Surely your purpose of a Christian is to help the "non-believers" understand?

To me, it seems some have questioned religion within the world, you've given out some abuse, now stuck your head in the sand of "I know all, you will burn in Hell for eternity"

ccfc92

"Hey guys, you just need to listen to other opinions. Now excuse me while I put everyone who makes me feel uncomfortable about my beliefs on ignore"

And yes, no matter what sky fairy you believe in I'll tell you you're deluded.

Wooly thinking is dangerous. It gives us Islamic terror and Donald Trump. The Enlightenment was the best thing ever to happen to humanity. Anyone who wants to take us back to the dark ages of disease and prejudice can get fucked.

Users who are viewing this thread