Replacing the effectiveness of Maddison (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

I don't think Maddison can be 'replaced', sure someone can play his role but not as effectively as he can. I remember Gary Neville saying when Scholes plays, United win - when he doesn't, United are not as effective. Scholes controlled the tempo of the whole game for United, similar to what Maddison does.

pusbccfc

I said when he got injured that our season will be massively changed. We haven't played well since he's been out, even last week at Burton we weren't great.

rupert_bear

I agree with that; perhaps it is a case of the opposition susing out the way TM's teams play. BTW how many is a "fanny"?
Quiet possibly but I'm sure TM will develop alternative team patterns, we now have striker options with Fortune and Tudgay, Armstrong and Kent along with Murphy I'm still fairly optimistic

magic82ball

Does seem to be a worry doesn't it. I think he is a real talent that any team at this level would struggle to replace but Kent does seem pretty good from what I've seen.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

stupot07

FFS it's one game

I know it's only a small cohort of games but we have only picked up 4 points from the last 4 league games without Maddison, so technically it's not only one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

I know it's only a small cohort of games but we have only picked up 4 points from the last 4 league games without Maddison, so technically it's not only one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

May be just a coincidence too, but we have found it much harder to play the same free flowing football as we were when he was in the team.

Evo1883

Sorry somehow deleted my last post .
Simply put the game was lost because we played 442 , when we are vest at 4231 ..we still have the players capable of filling maddisons role i think that today ..mowbray simply got it wrong , it happens

Evo1883

And i cant edit a spelling mistake because it deletes my post , so apologies vest is best lol

Otis

Look Maddison has only played a fanny full of games ffs, he is a talent but not yet a talisman.

But it's not just about that is it, it's about a player fulfilling a position in the team that really worked and suited the way we played. As soon as he was out we changed our set-up slightly and it has been much tougher and we've not been able to play as exciting football as we were previously.

He doesn't have to be a talisman and he doesn't have to be Lionel Messi. He just fit perfectly into that system we had at the start of the season. We have suffered without him.

stupot07

May be just a coincidence too, but we have found it much harder to play the same free flowing football as we were when he was in the team.

Could be, but I remember saying the same about Reda last season when he got injured and I was laughed at. Now people use those stats to point out how important he is to the team.

For me, and I said it at time when he got injured, he's integral to our attacking play and linking midfield to attack, he also built up a great understanding with lamieres, plus he uses the ball is intelligently and rarely gives the ball away so when we were under pressure and the ball was knocked long to him he'd hold it up then play a quality ball.

stupot07

Look Maddison has only played a fanny full of games ffs, he is a talent but not yet a talisman.

What about Rooney or Michael Owen? I'm not saying Maddison is in the same class but it's all relative and he has got talent way above league one.

Hobo

Drama Queens thread.

SlowerThanPlatt

Armstrong's also less effective because Maddison is the only one on his wavelength. I remember him saying it when he joined that there's already a connection with the two. Lamieras said it about Maddison too. Lameiras' and Armstrong's early season form depended on Maddison, both Armstrong and Lameiras possess technical ability which is far better than League 1 but there's no middle man linking it all up.

You only notice how important a player is when he's out of the team. Take Armstrong out the team, you'll still be pretty confident, same with Lameiras. JM is the Cov version of Scholes.

fernandopartridge

And? If it was 7 from 4? 5 from 4? I think Maddison's absence is coincidental. We'd obviously have ups and downs. It's still a young side who are unfamiliar with certain types of opposition. The way Robins plays with two holding midfielders would be difficult to play against, particularly when TM changes the system.

fernandopartridge

Armstrong's also less effective because Maddison is the only one on his wavelength. I remember him saying it when he joined that there's already a connection with the two. Lamieras said it about Maddison too. Lameiras' and Armstrong's early season form depended on Maddison, both Armstrong and Lameiras possess technical ability which is far better than League 1 but there's no middle man linking it all up.

You only notice how important a player is when he's out of the team. Take Armstrong out the team, you'll still be pretty confident, same with Lameiras. JM is the Cov version of Scholes.

At least 3 of his goals set up by players other than Maddison

NorthernWisdom

And? If it was 7 from 4? 5 from 4? I think Maddison's absence is coincidental. We'd obviously have ups and downs. It's still a young side who are unfamiliar with certain types of opposition. The way Robins plays with two holding midfielders would be difficult to play against, particularly when TM changes the system.

I'd also be worried about any side that was depending on one player to make it tick, and even more worried if it was depending on an as-yet-unproven teenager.

stupot07

I'd also be worried about any side that was depending on one player to make it tick, and even more worried if it was depending on an as-yet-unproven teenager.

Well we're also depending on Armstrong.....and now Kent.

Grendel

Well we're also depending on Armstrong.....and now Kent.

Two of the three non wins since his absence are as much to do with defensive frailties than forward limitations.

Chipfat

Maddison is a massive player in how the team is set up and go forward has been affected, last time i mentioned this few said a goalscorer would be a bigger blow.. I didn't agree then and don't agree now, he has ability to create time and space for others less gifted is for all to see.

I also said time would tell how much we miss him, TM now has to work quickly in finding the solution to his most gifted player not in a game day squad. I don't think we are trouble and still will win more games than lose but for me we are such a different side with maddison in it..

covcity4life

Give Kent w chance diwn thr middle first I say.

Beat chesterfield and we are all on cloud 9 again dreamng of a league title.

Learning from losses will be key to any promotion. Let's see if we can bounce back with 7pts from next 9. Added on to Burton win that wud be another 10 from 15 and have us on track for 2pts per gsme

And thrn you have Maddison to come back...

Users who are viewing this thread