Rishi’s wife (1 Viewer)

Grendel

You think it’s ok for the chancellors wife to play the rules. Sheer madness. Just like Boris dad jetting off during covid they don’t give a shit

Is it illegal?

skybluetony176

It’s amazing listening to right wing commentators saying she’s being unfairly targeted and it’s her own private business and nothing to do with the general public. Don’t remember these calls when the Tories made Jimmy Carrs tax arrangements public. The big difference here being Jimmy Carrs partner has never been responsible for overseeing the largest tax rises in generations.

shmmeee

so she should act differently to play a political game? Just ridiculous

Yeah, not like she’s, I dunno, sending her kids to private school or using MPs expenses, something truly horrific.

At least pretend you’ve got some kind of consistent standards here.

I think non dom status is a load of bollocks and should be got rid of. This just speaks to Sunaks long history of defending tax avoidance.

shmmeee

Also come out today that she’s reluctant to contribute to the coffers but doesn’t mind taking from it. One of her businesses took furlough money from the government.

No problem with this however, that’s what it’s there for. Unless there’s evidence of fraud I don’t see the issue.

Grendel

Yeah, not like she’s, I dunno, sending her kids to private school or using MPs expenses, something truly horrific.

At least pretend you’ve got some kind of consistent standards here.

I think non dom status is a load of bollocks and should be got rid of. This just speaks to Sunaks long history of defending tax avoidance.

ive always said Labour politicians sending children to state schools when in any other job they’d go private is farcical as is showing pictures in an NHS hospital

You yourself wanted to avoid paying 40% tax and started a thread on it didn’t you?

shmmeee

ive always said Labour politicians sending children to state schools when in any other job they’d go private is farcical as is showing pictures in an NHS hospital

You yourself wanted to avoid paying 40% tax and started a thread on it didn’t you?

I did yeah. I’m not in charge of maximising the country’s tax take though.

I also drive a petrol car but would ban them ASAP. No doubt my energy supplier uses fossil fuels. My kids attend a secondary despite me wanting a middle school system.

Because I’m not a five year old that thinks only do gooders should do the right thing and realise why we have regulations.

skybluetony176

They’ve spent all day trying to claim that she can’t help being a non dom as she’s from India. It’s just come out this evening that she spends £30,000 a year ensuring she maintains her non dom status because she no longer automatically qualifies as she’s lived in the UK for more than 7 years in the last 9. She’s actively avoiding tax, that £30K meant she avoided a £4.5M tax bill last year alone.

Last edited:

rob9872

Never understood how people so rich become so greedy. A lot of people if they became a millionaire would be proud to pay tax and would love to help invest massively in good causes. How much more money does this family want/need?
Equally could argue that someone who is worth hundreds of millions doesn't need to work, I wouldn't and doubt many would, but clearly someone who puts that shift in to want to do well and for the greater good. Whether he achieves that in everyone's eyes is probably a different discussion, but basically a decent bloke who the press have some agenda agsinst and are consistently trying to discredit him at the moment.

Also loving the criticism he gets above for raising taxes though by people who traditionally should applaud it but instead use it as a stick to beat him with.

clint van damme

Equally could argue that someone who is worth hundreds of millions doesn't need to work, I wouldn't and doubt many would, but clearly someone who puts that shift in to want to do well and for the greater good. Whether he achieves that in everyone's eyes is probably a different discussion, but basically a decent bloke who the press have some agenda agsinst and are consistently trying to discredit him at the moment.

Also loving the criticism he gets above for raising taxes though by people who traditionally should applaud it but instead use it as a stick to beat him with.

He's raising taxes during a cost of living crisis in a week when we find out that oil companies are paying no tax and neither is his billionaire wife.
It's not a good look for those of us whose caps remained undoffed

CCFCSteve

Also come out today that she’s reluctant to contribute to the coffers but doesn’t mind taking from it. One of her businesses took furlough money from the government.

This is the problem with social media politics, a justifiable point and then unnecessary stuff gets thrown in the mix ie furlough, which dilutes what is the main, valid question. Plenty of usually profitable large companies used the scheme and it basically protected the economy and public from wide spread redundancies, so as shmmeee said, its fair, valid use of the scheme unless fraud was involved. Also if we’re talking about a company where she has a minority shareholding, that decision to use the scheme is probably nothing to do with her

For what it’s worth I think there is no way Sunak gets to PM with his wife using non dom status for tax purposes. It might be legal but morally it’s just wrong. The only excuse would be if she’s paying equal/more tax in say India (country of birth and majority of where income is derived I think) in which case, in my eyes at least, it’s not avoidance but helping her country of birth through paying her dues there. If she’s minimising her tax liabilities by using some tax haven it’s obviously a totally different matter. In all the uproar has anyone seen this info yet as I haven’t ?

Ive never really cared what people earn, that’s their business but if you’re that rich just pay your fair share

Sky Blue Pete

so she should act differently to play a political game? Just ridiculous
No you’re right the chancellors family should have privacy to do whatever they like with their money. Why would they want to show they have the country’s best interests at heart lol

Otis

This is the problem with social media politics, a justifiable point and then unnecessary stuff gets thrown in the mix ie furlough, which dilutes what is the main, valid question. Plenty of usually profitable large companies used the scheme and it basically protected the economy and public from wide spread redundancies, so as shmmeee said, its fair, valid use of the scheme unless fraud was involved. Also if we’re talking about a company where she has a minority shareholding, that decision to use the scheme is probably nothing to do with her

For what it’s worth I think there is no way Sunak gets to PM with his wife using non dom status for tax purposes. It might be legal but morally it’s just wrong. The only excuse would be if she’s paying equal/more tax in say India (country of birth and majority of where income is derived I think) in which case, in my eyes at least, it’s not avoidance but helping her country of birth through paying her dues there. If she’s minimising her tax liabilities by using some tax haven it’s obviously a totally different matter. In all the uproar has anyone seen this info yet as I haven’t ?

Ive never really cared what people earn, that’s their business but if you’re that rich just pay your fair share
Agree with a lot of that, though I do care what people earn. If some people are mega, mega rich, while others are starving and in poverty, that just doesn't sit comfortably with me at all, so yes, I do care

I also am left wondering how on earth the likes of Rees Mogg can be a representative of the people, when they have no idea what it's like for the average person out there on the street.

skybluetony176

Never understood how people so rich become so greedy. A lot of people if they became a millionaire would be proud to pay tax and would love to help invest massively in good causes. How much more money does this family want/need?
There’s an antidote about a millionaire who goes to a therapist as he’s unhappy. He’s unhappy because his neighbour always out does him. If he has a swimming pool built his neighbour will have a bigger one built, if he has 10 cars his neighbour has 12 etc etc. One session he turns to his therapist and asks why can’t I be happy like you, to which the therapist replies because I’ve got the one thing you will never have, what’s that ask’s the man, enough says the therapist.

And that basically explains the mindset of a lot of wealthy people. Especially the super rich. A lot of them are so rich because they’ll never have enough and tax avoidance is just another way of having more than someone else.

Evo1883

Thoroughly decent bloke who just donated over 100k to his former private school where he was head boy , despite the fact millions are using food banks and won't be able to heat their homes this coming autumn partly because of his government . what a fucking guy .. his moral compass is exactly where it should be

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Agree with a lot of that, though I do care what people earn. If some people are mega, mega rich, while others are starving and in poverty, that just doesn't sit comfortably with me at all, so yes, I do care

I also am left wondering how on earth the likes of Rees Mogg can be a representative of the people, when they have no idea what it's like for the average person out there on the street.
I guarantee you that a single mother earning minimum wage pound for pound pays more tax on what she earns than what Rees food banks are uplifting Mogg pays on everything he earns.

skybluetony176

I agree, it’s 100% moral as I don’t think anything illegal is going on…feels like non dom rules need sorting though. Just holding my judgement until I know what she does pay and where.
If she didn’t have the non dom status that she pays £30K a year to obtain she’d have paid £4.5M in tax last year on her share dividends alone. She doesn’t automatically qualify for non dom status as a foreigner anymore as she’s lived in the UK for more than 7 years in the last 9. Also worth pointing out that Sunak transferred his own business shares to his non dom wife shortly before becoming an MP so he’s also benefitting from his wife’s non dom status.

Users who are viewing this thread