Rishi’s wife (6 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

If she didn’t have the non dom status that she pays £30K a year to obtain she’d have paid £4.5M in tax last year on her share dividends alone. She doesn’t automatically qualify for non dom status as a foreigner anymore as she’s lived in the UK for more than 7 years in the last 9. Also worth pointing out that Sunak transferred his own business shares to his non dom wife shortly before becoming an MP so he’s also benefitting from his wife’s non dom status.
Nothing illegal so nothing to see oh my goodness

CCFCSteve

If she didn’t have the non dom status that she pays £30K a year to obtain she’d have paid £4.5M in tax last year on her share dividends alone. She doesn’t automatically qualify for non dom status as a foreigner anymore as she’s lived in the UK for more than 7 years in the last 9. Also worth pointing out that Sunak transferred his own business shares to his non dom wife shortly before becoming an MP so he’s also benefitting from his wife’s non dom status.

My understanding is that she’d have to pay that dividend tax in another country though. The question is which country

CCFCSteve

That’s when the digging needs to be completed

They might not want to but they’ll need to disclose this otherwise the matter won’t go away. If it’s the wrong answer though, I think his PM (and possibly even his chancellor) ambitions are fucked…on the other hand if she’s fully paid up in India then I think some would’ve jumped the gun.

skybluetony176

My understanding is that she’d have to pay that dividend tax in another country though. The question is which country
Not according to reporting that came out last night. Presumably she has the dividends paid to the UK so therefore would be liable for the the tax (circa 45% I believe) if she didn’t pay the £30K a year to maintain her non dom status.

No comment on Rishi Sunak transferring his own shares to his non dom by choice wife?

NorthernWisdom

If it’s the wrong answer though, I think his PM (and possibly even his chancellor) ambitions are fucked
On a side note, it's slightly bizarre he ends up chancellor really. Seemingly he declared everything, so people knew and, whether legal or not, surely they knew it wouldn't be a good look whenever it did come out?!?

Or was he Sajid Javid's recommendation, in the knowledge whenever he wanted the job of chancellor back, he knew what he could do...? ;)

duffer

Equally could argue that someone who is worth hundreds of millions doesn't need to work, I wouldn't and doubt many would, but clearly someone who puts that shift in to want to do well and for the greater good. Whether he achieves that in everyone's eyes is probably a different discussion, but basically a decent bloke who the press have some agenda agsinst and are consistently trying to discredit him at the moment.

Also loving the criticism he gets above for raising taxes though by people who traditionally should applaud it but instead use it as a stick to beat him with.

Working for the greater good, or working to make sure that him and his enormously wealthy backers, friends, and family don't have to worry about a slightly more redistributive taxation system?

How much evidence do you need of the corruption of the Tory party?

How desperate does it have to get for poorer people before you
actually care?

Frostie

On a side note, it's slightly bizarre he ends up chancellor really. Seemingly he declared everything, so people knew and, whether legal or not, surely they knew it wouldn't be a good look whenever it did come out?!?

Or was he Sajid Javid's recommendation, in the knowledge whenever he wanted the job of chancellor back, he knew what he could do...? ;)

Seems he never declared it...

shmmeee

Equally could argue that someone who is worth hundreds of millions doesn't need to work, I wouldn't and doubt many would, but clearly someone who puts that shift in to want to do well and for the greater good. Whether he achieves that in everyone's eyes is probably a different discussion, but basically a decent bloke who the press have some agenda agsinst and are consistently trying to discredit him at the moment.

Also loving the criticism he gets above for raising taxes though by people who traditionally should applaud it but instead use it as a stick to beat him with.

Who exactly should applaud tax raising? People who want higher taxes want it for better public services and better growth not for its own sake. This is the worst of both worlds, low growth, poor public service funding and high taxes. All from someone who claims to be low tax.

He’s clearly in his job to get tax breaks for friends and family not for the greater good. I’m not sure he’s ever talked about the good economics can do, mostly he just defends tax avoidance.

CCFCSteve

Not according to reporting that came out last night. Presumably she has the dividends paid to the UK so therefore would be liable for the the tax (circa 45% I believe) if she didn’t pay the £30K a year to maintain her non dom status.

No comment on Rishi Sunak transferring his own shares to his non dom by choice wife?

Im not defending either, I’m just saying without knowing all the info I’ll reserve judgement.

I’m no tax expert but my understanding is that even with the 30k you still have to pay the appropriate tax on income in the domiciled country. Obviously in a tax haven that’s next to nothing to pay, other countries more, hence my comment about waiting to see where they’re paying tax and why. If this is correct there’s articles and commentators intentionally ignoring/failing to share this fact. As I say though, maybe I’m wrong but logically I don’t think so

I’ve not seen his response regarding transfer of shares but on the face of it feels/looks bad

Grendel

Seems he never declared it...

God it’s the Kimono Fox Killer now

Perhaps he will do another crowd fund for a legal case

Grendel

Surely the one issue here rather than the money which might be a concern is that Non Dom status suggests the two individuals may not remain as British citizens which clearly would be a issue for a senior politician

This “scoop” also has been public knowledge for about 6 weeks I think so odd it’s being focused on now and not then

Ccfcisparks

giphy.gif

duffer

I think the mistake we're all making here is assuming that Government ministers or MPs will resign or be sacked if they're caught in an outrageous falsehood, criminal activity, or obviously corrupt practice.

That's not how the modern Conservative party works.

skybluetony176

Im not defending either, I’m just saying without knowing all the info I’ll reserve judgement.

I’m no tax expert but my understanding is that even with the 30k you still have to pay the appropriate tax on income in the domiciled country. Obviously in a tax haven that’s next to nothing to pay, other countries more, hence my comment about waiting to see where they’re paying tax and why. If this is correct there’s articles and commentators intentionally ignoring/failing to share this fact. As I say though, maybe I’m wrong but logically I don’t think so

I’ve not seen his response regarding transfer of shares but on the face of it feels/looks bad
I think you’re missing my point Steve. According to reports the money was paid into the UK and otherwise would have been subject to tax worth about £4.5M to the coffers. She’s volunteered to be a non dom for the price of £30K a year to avoid that tax.

The press hasn’t really reported on the transfer of shares yet, tomorrow’s headline probably, so he’s not been put in a position where he has to explain that yet.

duffer

clint van damme

Cynics suggest No.10 have sight of an incoming Fixed Penalty Notice and getting a diversion in nice and early?

Culture war nonsense just isn't cutting it these days but a side-eye at No.11 might

Someone's leaking it, my money was on Gove, (always is when there's a leak), but this sounds plausible.

CCFCSteve

I think you’re missing my point Steve. According to reports the money was paid into the UK and otherwise would have been subject to tax worth about £4.5M to the coffers. She’s volunteered to be a non dom for the price of £30K a year to avoid that tax.

The press hasn’t really reported on the transfer of shares yet, tomorrow’s headline probably, so he’s not been put in a position where he has to explain that yet.

I don’t think that’s right. If its remitted into Uk it’s taxed in UK in addition to that 30k pa payment. I think she’s left it abroad and paid appropriate international tax elsewhere (or not if no tax is payable in that country). As I say, I might be wrong but I think there’s some intentionally vague reporting on it and a lack of info disclosure currently by the Sunaks

By the way I’m not saying she’s not fiddled the system, just that we don’t know for sure yet or how…from what I’ve read

SBT

so she should act differently to play a political game? Just ridiculous

Isn’t Rishi Sunak (and his family) obliged to play political games as part of his job?

I personally don’t think the non-dom thing is a huge scandal at all, but once again I find it interesting how Sunak prioritises protecting his own wealth over avoiding criticism like this - except this time we’re talking about a giant stake in Infosys rather than a tank of unleaded.

Users who are viewing this thread