Road Closure A444 After the Match. (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Bet you hang around if we lose, drinking all those tears is good energy.

The bigger the score line, the better. I smile warmly while watching those people glumly descend the staircase. Better yet, when the odd one misjudges a step.

chiefdave

Warwickshire Council are showing the part they're responsible for as closed for Wednesdays match, nothing listed by Coventry Council and no indication from the club that it will be happening again. You'd assume it is but would be nice if they made people aware.

MalcSB

Warwickshire Council are showing the part they're responsible for as closed for Wednesdays match, nothing listed by Coventry Council and no indication from the club that it will be happening again. You'd assume it is but would be nice if they made people aware.
Where have you seen that, I have looked but can’t find anything? Which part are WCC responsible for - beyond the M6?

chiefdave

Where have you seen that, I have looked but can’t find anything? Which part are WCC responsible for - beyond the M6?
The red line is what Warwickshire council have listed so presumably where the line suddenly ends just short of the roundabout is where the boundary is

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 20.50.09.png

MalcSB

I hadn’t assumed that the closure would be repeated unless it was announced in advance. There is nothing on WCC website. Can this third party site actually be trusted to be correct - I have never heard of it.

MalcSB

That site shows road closures on every match day, including one from 16:15 on the day of the Leicester match.

chiefdave

Can this third party site actually be trusted to be correct - I have never heard of it.
It's the site councils and the Highways Agency use. There's links to it from the Cov Council and Warwickshire Council roadworks pages.

Sbarcher

Think they could have kept left turn out of Christ the King car park open to allow left turn only at the roundabout. Would still have allowed full pedestrian access out from the stadium.

chiefdave

Think they could have kept left turn out of Christ the King car park open to allow left turn only at the roundabout. Would still have allowed full pedestrian access out from the stadium.
Can't work out how they ended up with cars going up Winding Tree Lane and nearly taking people out. The bottom of Hen Lane was closed off wasn't it so they couldn't have been turning left out of there.

Can't have been turning right out of Burbages Lane as there's a central reservation / crossing, you need to go round the roundabout.

Would be insanity to let people turn right out of Burbages on the wrong side of the road at a pedestrian crossing when you've closed the road off for safety reasons 🤡

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Dave although you can't legally turn right out of Burbages lane it can be done gap in the centre res.for cars turning into there from the island.Needs to be kept an eye on or there will be an accident.Don't use that way but seen it done.

MalcSB

I can’t believe that it hasn’t been publicised. It is even less believable that it is road beyond the roundabout. We can all turn left out of Car Park C, drive up to and around the roundabout and back down past Tescos, giving maximum opportunity to run pedestrians over.

chiefdave

Just on the Official that there's no road closure after tomorrow's game.
Absolute shambles. There’s either a safety issue or there isn’t. Not like it’s going to be a 10K crowd on Wednesday or anything like that

Not doing the same thing every game is going to lead to far more issues

MalcSB

There is no safety issue if everyone (a) followed the Highway Code and (b) took some personal responsibility for their own safety. I realise the latter concept is somewhat controversial these days when trigger warnings are deemed necessary before Midsomer Murders.

Friday May have been a pilot or as a result of the game being a local derby with high away following. The Xmas party may also have been a consideration. It will be interesting to see if there is a road closure for the Leicester match.

edgy

There is no safety issue if everyone (a) followed the Highway Code and (b) took some personal responsibility for their own safety. I realise the latter concept is somewhat controversial these days when trigger warnings are deemed necessary before Midsomer Murders.

Friday May have been a pilot or as a result of the game being a local derby with high away following. The Xmas party may also have been a consideration. It will be interesting to see if there is a road closure for the Leicester match.

Unfortunately, people do not do either a) or b) or both. So there is a safety issue. And I stand by my previous comment, it is only a matter of time before someone is run over if something other then expecting everyone within the 1000's crossing the A444 to abide by a) & b). You cannot force 1000's to follow rules but you can mitigate risks with sensible measures.

MalcSB

Unfortunately, people do not do either a) or b) or both. So there is a safety issue. And I stand by my previous comment, it is only a matter of time before someone is run over if something other then expecting everyone within the 1000's crossing the A444 to abide by a) & b). You cannot force 1000's to follow rules but you can mitigate risks with sensible measures.
Presumably you meant some people - a minority.

The whole point of traffic light controlled crossings is that they in themselves are safety measures.

edgy

Presumably you meant some people - a minority.

The whole point of traffic light controlled crossings is that they in themselves are safety measures.

A minority yes of course. But the traffic controlled crossing clearly isn't capable of dealing with the thousands and minority that wont abide by your a) & b)

Just because it is a minority doesn't mean the safety issue or risk isn't there. And it doesn't mean extra measures shouldn't be put in place.

I really don't see the issue with holding traffic for a set period to allow the main hoards to disperse. A minor inconvenience to some motorists to mitigate the potential serious injury or death which seems inevitable if things are left as they are.

Who are the minority? Some will be kids who think they are invincible. I'd rather you have to wait then them be killed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But how do you mitigate a risk by putting even more cars onto a bit of road that's more likely to have people crossing?

chiefdave

A minority yes of course. But the traffic controlled crossing clearly isn't capable of dealing with the thousands and minority that wont abide by your a) & b)
I come away from the ground down the steps on the Judds Lane / A444 corner of the ground and tbh that is an accident waiting to happen. You have hundreds, if not thousands, of people trying to get down those steps and across the round. Nobody wants to wait so there's a crush. You get people ignoring the lights and crossing in front of traffic as well as people jumping over the barrier and walking round the roundabout.

The people who do actually wait for the crossing then get mixed in with away fans which given they've put a massive fence in the car park to stop fans mixing you'd assume is something they're keen to avoid.

They're tried putting stewards there but they're just ignored at best, abused at worst.

Once people get to Hen Lane, Winding House Lane they act like cars don't exist and just walk out into the road. Not hard to see there being an incident at some point and yes it will more than likely the due to someones stupidity but I'd rather not have any of our fans run over whether its their own fault or not.

We all know people should wait and be sensible but they don't. Now you're going to add in people who after the last game assume the road will be closed. Need to decide what they're going to do about getting people away from the ground safely and stick to it.

chiefdave

Can anyone work out what the criteria is for the road closures?

Was closed for the Brum game with an attendance of under 27K, was then open for Saints, a 24K crowd, with the club saying it wasn't needed due to the smaller expected crowd

Today there's 30K expected with the added bonus of little public transport due to a bank holiday timetable running so obv it's open

shmmeee

Was closed for the Brum game with an attendance of under 27K, was then open for Saints, a 24K crowd, with the club saying it wasn't needed due to the smaller expected crowd

Today there's 30K expected with the added bonus of little public transport due to a bank holiday timetable running so obv it's open

I reckon they think it didn’t work how they wanted and quietly canned it with the crowd size as an excuse

clint van damme

Only closes when the visitors have a higher than average quota of morons in their support?

chiefdave

I reckon they think it didn’t work how they wanted and quietly canned it with the crowd size as an excuse
that crossed my mind but surely they'd just say that rather than having the main piece of information, in bold, on every match day guide as:
Fans are advised that there will NOT be a post-match closure of the A444/Jimmy Hill Way at this game.
its also a regular occurrence at other events there so not like they needed to trial a big unknown

wingy

that crossed my mind but surely they'd just say that rather than having the main piece of information, in bold, on every match day guide as:

its also a regular occurrence at other events there so not like they needed to trial a big unknown
Gauge reaction of motorist's etc due to it being fortnightly in general rather than once a year?

MalcSB

The biggest difference is that there was a non football event on at the same time as the Birmingham game. I think the frequency compared to other events at the arena is also a consideration.

pusbccfc

Was pretty dangerous again today. Need a bridge quite urgently.

ceetee

It was only dangerous for those who insist on taking their young kids across a three lane road because it takes a bit longer to use the crossings

Flying Fokker

It was only dangerous for those who insist on taking their young kids across a three lane road because it takes a bit longer to use the crossings
Agreed, but the traffic is really quite aggressive away from the lights wherever the cars enter from. Someone will get killed one day. Cars need to slow down, pedestrians need to use the crossing safely. It’s not rocket science. Approx 400 manage to cross the road every time the lights stop traffic. Thus taking a good 15 minutes for all the people to cross.

pusbccfc

Agreed, but the traffic is really quite aggressive away from the lights wherever the cars enter from. Someone will get killed one day. Cars need to slow down, pedestrians need to use the crossing safely. It’s not rocket science. Approx 400 manage to cross the road every time the lights stop traffic. Thus taking a good 15 minutes for all the people to cross.

Yep, bit of both but the drivers are the ones in the heavy vehicles.

For the first time, there was very little space on the paths and at the crossings.

Users who are viewing this thread