Robins on 5 Live (2 Viewers)

Offhegoes

What I like about Robins, and infact is a common trait in the very best managers, is he gives little away in interviews. He is clearly a brilliant man manager, improving all the players that play under him, no public fall outs etc.,..
Most of his post match interviews are him describing the action in the match!

shmmeee

What I like about Robins, and infact is a common trait in the very best managers, is he gives little away in interviews. He is clearly a brilliant man manager, improving all the players that play under him, no public fall outs etc.,..
Most of his post match interviews are him describing the action in the match!

What I like is he’s about the only manager I can remember where I think he’s actually seen the same game as me in the stands. His signings are usually ones everyone thinks we needs. Sounds stupid but we had so many managers you thought were on crack or who just refused to sign a position we blatantly needed.

NorthernWisdom

Bigger concern for me is why the fuck, if we knew he was going, did we just take a punt on Ayari when we had 3 months to sort his replacement

I dont understand it
Probably because Hamer went late on, so therefore targets had gone elsewhere / didn't want to move at that point / felt unwanted because it looked like a last gasp replacement.

MalcSB

Yes

Yes Hill was just before my time as a supporter. Yes I can read the history and have been around fans who experienced it so I can appreciate the vibe and progress he created. I always felt he bottled it a bit and took the easy option of going into TV. Accept it was a great opportunity from a money sense and increasing his profile.

The main way I judge Jimmy Hill was his time as a director. I don't think he helped us much. Yes he had some innovative forward thinking ideas; but they always seemed to be delivered in a half baked fashion. In fact a few of them cost us revenue.
Detroit Express was a financial disaster

Astute

I wonder if we couldn’t get Torp until his season ended.
Could well be. We will never know for sure.

Could even be an O'Hare replacement for next season and has brought him in now to get him up to speed before next season.

And before anyone says it not same for same. Just like we were never going to find it easy to replace Gyokeres or Hamer like for like. That's why clubs were prepared to give us about 35m for two players that cost us about 2m.

Give it a few years on here and we will most probably be looking for a Torp replacement.

shmmeee

Could well be. We will never know for sure.

Could even be an O'Hare replacement for next season and has brought him in now to get him up to speed before next season.

And before anyone says it not same for same. Just like we were never going to find it easy to replace Gyokeres or Hamer like for like. That's why clubs were prepared to give us about 35m for two players that cost us about 2m.

Give it a few years on here and we will most probably be looking for a Torp replacement.

He’s definitely a CM IMO, not sure why people think he’s a 10. I suspect he’ll play in games where we don’t need both CMs to defend as much as first and Eccles will play when we need a bit more solidity. Though IMO Eccles needs a rest right now so I’d start Torp tonight regardless.

Manchester_sky_blue

He’s definitely a CM IMO, not sure why people think he’s a 10. I suspect he’ll play in games where we don’t need both CMs to defend as much as first and Eccles will play when we need a bit more solidity. Though IMO Eccles needs a rest right now so I’d start Torp tonight regardless.
Reports from Norway say he can play all across midfield. I think we will need to see a lot more of him before making any definitive judgements on his best position for us

Astute

From what I have seen of him he likes to get forward. Looks like he will be our corner taker. Like I said not like for like but he offers something different. It's anyone's guess what Robins has planned for him.

He still has a fair bit to learn to be a Championship player. But he is still an exciting prospect.

shmmeee

Reports from Norway say he can play all across midfield. I think we will need to see a lot more of him before making any definitive judgements on his best position for us

I just think he’s been signed to play there so I’d be surprised to see him play in the ten role where we like a high energy type who goes beyond the striker. We’ve got O’Hare Palmer and Allen there and no guarantee O’Hare is off at the end of the season so I’d be surprised if we were signing his replacement already.

twistandshout

Because we never had an acceptable offer for Hamer and when we finally did it was too late to get a replacement over the line perhaps?
Hamer was injured at the beginning of the season, we were never going to get offers until he proved his fitness. We did a lot of good work in the summer,we just didnt get it all done in time.

SBT

Bigger concern for me is why the fuck, if we knew he was going, did we just take a punt on Ayari when we had 3 months to sort his replacement

I dont understand it
Not being able to co-ordinate selling a player with signing a replacement, I can understand.

Making up some narrative about him wanting to stay/leading us on/missing his family, and sticking to it for months despite it apparently being untrue, less so.

CCFC88

Good listen. He was very, very keen to share the praise (which is a good indicator of good leadership). Viveash, Lawrence, Austin and Boddy all mentioned by name.

Clearly an all round mensch but let’s not take every single word as gospel truth…

For instance I don’t remember anyone throwing a pig’s head into the pitch in an anti-SiSU protest. Tennis balls, plastic pigs, some home made banners from bed sheets but no pig’s heads.
I cut the body off my plastic pig and threw the head on, Robins saw it, he only speaks facts

Saddlebrains

Not being able to co-ordinate selling a player with signing a replacement, I can understand.

Making up some narrative about him wanting to stay/leading us on/missing his family, and sticking to it for months despite it apparently being untrue, less so.

Love how you always have a pop yet nowhere to be seen when things are said that are right

Passed on what i was told. Like i always do

Block me if you have such a problem you fanny

SBT

Love how you always have a pop yet nowhere to be seen when things are said that are right

Passed on what i was told. Like i always do

Block me if you have such a problem you fanny
If you want a pat on the head every time you get something right (sorry, not my style) then unfortunately you also have to put up with grief when you get caught out talking bollocks.

If it bothers you so much, just get better at it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just listened to the interview and I didn't take it as Hamer or Gyokeres came up to him and told him on the coach they wanted to leave in front of the rest of the squad on the coach trip on the way home.

He said that he knew on the coach that they would be going and it was all the talk/gossip amongst the players on the coach on the way home is the way I took it.

If Hamer had flat out told him on the coach he wanted to leave why did the club mess about for months offering him a new contract and wait till the season had started to sell him.

I think he means he knew in his gut/head that once the play off final was lost that those players would want to move on.

Last edited:

skybluericoh

I dont understand it
A player wanting to go when they are under contract is one thing until an offer that matches the club’s valuation comes in then they are going nowhere. If they had lined up or as some had said get in a replacement it then puts pressure on the club to sell on the cheap. We had far too much of that with SISU.
in my view the club handled it very well.

Grendel

Just listened to the interview and I didn't take it as Hamer or Gyokeres came up to him and told him on the coach they wanted to leave in front of the rest of the rest of the squad on the coach trip on the way home.

He said that he knew on the coach that they would be going and it was all the talk/gossip amongst the players on the coach on the way home is the way I took it.

If Hamer had flat out told him on the coach he wanted to leave why did the club mess about for months offering him a new contract and wait till the season had started to sell him.

I think he means he knew in his gut/head that once the play off final was lost that those players would want to move on.

I assume no one came in for him so there was every chance he’d have to stay

CCFC88

I dont understand it
But the deal wasn't received/agreed until very late, we probably did try to get perms done but the didn't come off.

I'm glad we didn't get desperate and throw money at something just to get someone in.

They clearly thought Ayari was going to be better than he was.

stupot07

Just listened to the interview and I didn't take it as Hamer or Gyokeres came up to him and told him on the coach they wanted to leave in front of the rest of the squad on the coach trip on the way home.

He did say it was the talk of the coach ride home, so that suggests it was pretty clear to all on the coach they were going, and they were actively talking about It

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

usskyblue

And here's the problem.

Lost all respect for Hamer because he kept us thinking he was going to stay and leaves us just before the season starts. He should have let us know as soon as he could.

Fast forward about 6 months.

Lost all respect for Hamer because he told us he wanted to leave as soon as he possibly could.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. Typical of a lot of our fan base.

I pretty much figured Hamer was off when he didn’t sign the contract. I have the same feeling with O’Hare.. and truth be told, neither bother me.

unless (as I’ve very recently discovered) I’ve sunk a bottle of red and a couple of Crown Royals

StrettoBoy

If he takes us back up to the Prem and keeps us there, he’ll have cemented himself as our best ever manager. Older cohorts of fans may disagree, but there isn’t an argument against it.

The possible arguments against it are Jimmy Hill and Sillett/Curtis.

All legends in my book.

MalcSB

But the deal wasn't received/agreed until very late, we probably did try to get perms done but the didn't come off.

I'm glad we didn't get desperate and throw money at something just to get someone in.

They clearly thought Ayari was going to be better than he was.
Thank the footballing gods he wasn’t a permanent signing.

MalcSB

The possible arguments against it are Jimmy Hill and Sillett/Curtis.

All legends in my book.
If Robins gets us to the Premier League, he will have achieved much the same as Hill did in footballing terms, but in a far more difficult environment - so he would outrank Hill in my view.

Sillett and Curtis delivered a fantastic FA Cup win, but again I would argue that Robins taking us to the Prem would outrank that.

I started supporting the Sky Blues in 1966 ( thanks for that Ivor Hughes) so was around for both.

skybluericoh

Great interview BTW I think MR is always very measured in his interviews calls out things that are wrong without throwing anybody under the bus.
We are very lucky to have him at our club, any in my opinion has plenty of credit in the bank for when we do hit a sticky patch

SkyBlue_Bear83

He did say it was the talk of the coach ride home, so that suggests it was pretty clear to all on the coach they were going, and they were actively talking about It

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Yea just sounds like gossip amongst team mates which would happen all the time on the training ground.
Conversations could have went like this you're too good to play in the championship, do you think you will be here next season.
Not sure yet, we will wait till the Summer and see, depends if an acceptable offer comes in and the club want to let me leave, I do have 12 months left on my contract so maybe the club will want to sell me, we will see.

I think most of the fan base thought there was a very good chance that Gyokeres and Hamer would both move on in the summer after the play off final, all it suggests to me is that the rest of the squad and manager thought the same at this time.

Different than the players approaching the manager on the coach and telling him there formal intention to leave or handing in a transfer request which is how people seem to have taken it.

Warwickhunt

Brilliant interview! Robbins sounds very astute and professional. Hope premiership clubs looking for a manager have not listened

duffer

Good listen that, thank you for sharing.

Right man, right club, right time, we're tremendously lucky, imho.

I hope, if or when we do get promoted with Robins at the helm, we remember how he got us there and how much we owe him. Especially if we're struggling.

If there's one manager who deserves to leave the club at his time and choosing, it's Robins. I hope that time is a good few years away.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

worst part of all that was in pretty much every interview from the summer onwards Robins was practically pleading with supporters to allow time to get the new signings in and playing how he wanted but people wouldn't listen to him.

Every thread on here would have sarcastic comments about 'time to gel' and people saying we were going to be relegated.

I am very much team Robins, but to qualify these points, in reality it was getting frustrating because the formation was not working at all. He wasn't changing things and the in-game tactics and substitutions were pretty poor. In many cases they cost us. There were some concerns that were genuine, and that we might have had a bit of a hangover from Wembley. This was as well as a few trolls calling for taxis which I think ends up getting a lot of focus, but most people did accept the team needed time to gel. It probably just took a bit longer than we thought and that caused some panic in the end.

He got a lot of credit on changing the formation, but that was something that was quite a slow reaction in my opinion. There were a few of us on here calling for it well before the time it came. Perhaps I'm being a bit picky, as we're well on an upward trajectory now. If we are in the Championship next season however, I would like to see a quicker start. Hopefully now the core of the team is established that can be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread