Robins on CWR (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

We’ve been saying this since we dropped out of the premier league, so let’s be honest for a minute, and stop kidding ourselves, the fact is, we haven’t had a top six finish for over 50 years, in any league. And we’ve never looked like finishing in the play off positions, in any league, despite often having good pre-Christmas form.
So what makes you think that a clueless manager who continues to show faith in hopeless attacking players like Beavon, Biamou, Mcnulty, and Vincenti, and is consistently out thought tactically is going to reverse our annual Christmas slump down the league, let alone somehow, miraculously get us promoted?
We’ve only maintained a lofty position due to our defensive capeability, but without the speed on the break of Jones, teams will be more comfortable committing players forward, so I’d expect to see us shipping more goals from now on. So the reality is more like mid table mediocrity come the end of the season, rather than promotion.
Really...what is he supposed to do with the likes of Beavon, McNulty, Biamou and Vincenti? slate them and get even less out of them? those players have let him down and I am sure he knows that but he really doesn't have much choice until January, lets see what happens then.
As I have said before IF he can shift any of them on to free up wages hopefully his apparent stubborn streak won't get in the way but its going to be difficult until he can persuade some other mugs that these 'players' are decent... also I have said McNulty has really disappointed me, even if he had a 'battering ram' type of player up top with him I don't think he is capable of taking too many chances that would fall his way, if you look at him when he shoots the ones that don't threaten the pigeons flying over nearly all his shots are at the keeper not in my opinion the mark of a decent striker who we keep hearing are coached to shoot into the corners, he goes for power instead of finesse and snatches at shots

CCFC54321

Really...what is he supposed to do with the likes of Beavon, McNulty, Biamou and Vincenti? slate them and get even less out of them? those players have let him down and I am sure he knows that but he really doesn't have much choice until January, lets see what happens then.
As I have said before IF he can shift any of them on to free up wages hopefully his apparent stubborn streak won't get in the way but its going to be difficult until he can persuade some other mugs that these 'players' are decent... also I have said McNulty has really disappointed me, even if he had a 'battering ram' type of player up top with him I don't think he is capable of taking too many chances that would fall his way, if you look at him when he shoots the ones that don't threaten the pigeons flying over nearly all his shots are at the keeper not in my opinion the mark of a decent striker who we keep hearing are coached to shoot into the corners, he goes for power instead of finesse and snatches at shots
If he shift any of those four he’d drive them there himself. Awful signings and yes I agree with you that these four have let him down badly. However, Robins should never have looked at them in the first place.

AFCCOVENTRY

It's the 10th anniversary of them taking over on Thursday, are they doing anything to mark their achievements? :bag:
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Coventry City | Coventry saved by late takeover

giphy.gif

Adge

Two year deals were a positive in the summer but are now a negative. Any transfer is always a gamble. Grimmer,
McDonald, Hyman, Davis, Doyle, Kelly and Nazon, almost everyone would say have been a success. The jury is out on Biamou, Mc Nulty ( aitnough some would disagree. To my mind both have a value). Perhaps only Vincenti and Beavon have failed completely (although even they have had some good games). Andreu didn’t have a chance to prove his worth and Robin’s has been desperately unlucky to lose both him and Jones for the season.That is a good rate of success with signings and means that next season for the first in a long time we will have the basis of a team. It is the players that he didn’t sign that I feel that are costing us. We definitely needed another winger, probably another creative midfielder ( a role he nearly covered with Baker) and an experienced target man/ goal scorer. The problem is not the two year contracts, it is a lack of creative attacking players, an issue that Robins will surely try to address in January.
Lets not forget he also gave new contracts to several of last seasons half wits aswell-so that's about 50% of signings have been relatively successful.

Grendel

Lets not forget he also gave new contracts to several of last seasons half wits aswell-so that's about 50% of signings have been relatively successful.

Also he paid a fee for Davis to be a reserve centre half, Doyle is anything but a success and he offered Haynes more wages for being shit.

steve82

Also he paid a fee for Davis to be a reserve centre half, Doyle is anything but a success and he offered Haynes more wages for being shit.

Davies was brought in as it looked like Mcdonald was gonna be out for a while and the window was about to close, Davies will be a 1st team player or should of MR has any sense.

Davies has been and will be worth every penny of what ever minor fee was paid.

Irish Sky Blue

You must be right then and Robins must have been lying when he said that the club have not paid a fee for anyone. He’s getting just like Tim.

Irish Sky Blue

Simply being part of a team that has been relegated doesn’t make you a bad player. With your philosophy Dion Kelly- Evans would have been released in the summer. He is a player who always gives his all, gets stuck in and seems a good footballer. Should he have been released? Seems a bit short sighted to tar everyone with the same brush.

Nick

Administrator
Robins said at the Trust forum that despite speculation to the contrary, the club had not paid a fee for any player.

Which bit was that / which question? Can't remember hearing that and it would have been one of the things to take from it so would have been everywhere.

It's not speculation, 3 other clubs have also said they were too as well as us when we announced them.

Max off to Coventry - updated with Paul's comments - Sutton United Football Club

"Sutton United have agreed the sale of striker Maxime Biamou to League Two Coventry City for an undisclosed fee."

Davies Departs For Coventry
ROD McDONALD MOVES TO COVENTRY CITY

This is the wording when Doyle left on a free:

DOYLE SET TO DEPART

Adge

Simply being part of a team that has been relegated doesn’t make you a bad player. With your philosophy Dion Kelly- Evans would have been released in the summer. He is a player who always gives his all, gets stuck in and seems a good footballer. Should he have been released? Seems a bit short sighted to tar everyone with the same brush.
Yep-DKE was the player of the Season by a mile for me. The other fools I'll stand by what I said. I'll say it again-people will be waiting a long time if they think we are going to move forward as a team with Burge, Willis, Haynes, Stevenson, Dion Kelly Evans et al being the main stay of it. Have a word with yourselves.

steve82

Yep-DKE was the player of the Season by a mile for me. The other fools I'll stand by what I said. I'll say it again-people will be waiting a long time if they think we are going to move forward as a team with Burge, Willis, Haynes, Stevenson, Dion Kelly Evans et al being the main stay of it. Have a word with yourselves.

Bizarrely they gave us our best day in 30 years tho.

We will move forwards tho if we sell Willis to reinforce the attacking aspects we're lacking.

Adge

Bizarrely they gave us our best day in 30 years tho.

We will move forwards tho if we sell Willis to reinforce the attacking aspects we're lacking.
We didn't move forwards with him in L1 last year......

Irish Sky Blue

I was sat maybe 3 metres away from Mark Robins at the forum. I listened intently to what he had to say. I don’t see what he would have to gain by making things up. I would sooner believe something that comes from the horses mouth so to speak (as long as it is not from Sisu) than what is in the press.

Irish Sky Blue

Don’t you think Willis has played well this season? He has been part of a very mean defence as has Burge. Maybe they have found their level and that level is the fourth division but that is the division we are in.

Nick

Administrator
I was sat maybe 3 metres away from Mark Robins at the forum. I listened intently to what he had to say. I don’t see what he would have to gain by making things up. I would sooner believe something that comes from the horses mouth so to speak (as long as it is not from Sisu) than what is in the press.

Which question was it in reply to as I must have missed it? Would think CJ would have been all over tweeting that too.

I didn't mention the press, I linked to other club's stories from their mouths.

Irish Sky Blue

Towards the end of the evening, probably in the part where he was saying that he had been interesting in signing James Collins but couldn’t compete with Luton. This info came from Robin’s own mouth. He came across well at the forum and has no reason to lie.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I can remember a mention of Collins, but can't remember the no fees thing. Will watch it back.

It would be strange as other clubs are saying there were fees for their players.

Adge

Don’t you think Willis has played well this season? He has been part of a very mean defence as has Burge. Maybe they have found their level and that level is the fourth division but that is the division we are in.
Thanks for backing up my point-they have found their level. So if we managed to get promotion they will not take us forward.:emoji_thumbsup:

steve82

Thanks for backing up my point-they have found their level. So if we managed to get promotion they will not take us forward.:emoji_thumbsup:

My answer to that would be no, but in the here and now in L2 a few can do the job required in a transition period and should we get to L1 next season or the following then we can rebuild around the ones who are up to the demands of L1 weekly.

Adge

My answer to that would be no, but in the here and now in L2 a few can do the job required in a transition period and should we get to L1 next season or the following then we can rebuild around the ones who are up to the demands of L1 weekly.
Yes indeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread