Robins Squad comments (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

He isnt happy

As stated previously, hes not going to walk and theres been no big fall out so theres no need to worry

He's just pretty disappointed that hes got to where the owner asks of him to be, In January, and wanted 2 or 3 in (not counting EMC as hes not here yet) to take us over the line. He wasnt backed, and its riled him, hence the comments and strange subs etc.

For once hes basically of the same thinking of the supporters. You cant be Top 6 in Jan, demand a cup run and play offs whilst not getting in the players asked for because they 'wont be ours'.

As i said previously, Dougs doing a good job, but this aspect he needs to change, quality loans get sides promoted, we've seen it time and again. And im sure he'll learn that
He’ll learn before the season is up. You can’t take annual playoff challenges as a given

fernandopartridge

He isnt happy

As stated previously, hes not going to walk and theres been no big fall out so theres no need to worry

He's just pretty disappointed that hes got to where the owner asks of him to be, In January, and wanted 2 or 3 in (not counting EMC as hes not here yet) to take us over the line. He wasnt backed, and its riled him, hence the comments and strange subs etc.

For once hes basically of the same thinking of the supporters. You cant be Top 6 in Jan, demand a cup run and play offs whilst not getting in the players asked for because they 'wont be ours'.

As i said previously, Dougs doing a good job, but this aspect he needs to change, quality loans get sides promoted, we've seen it time and again. And im sure he'll learn that
You'd rather he learnt it from doing it and going up than not doing it and not going up

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

skybluegod

He isnt happy

Tbf and to play devil's advocate. It's Doug king who decides as the owner how the money is spent. Even Robins should respect that if kings line is, I don't want loan players with no resale value then that's what he has to work to. It's significantly better than 12 months ago when all he had was average youngsters + McNally. None of whom we signed come summer.

Of course as fans we want high quality players even on loan if it means we get promoted, but it's not a guarantee that had we got the two extra players in we would make the play offs. ( and of course we would all like to think we would!)

Just to say as well, that King can't now complain tho that we don't make the play offs when the depth up front wasn't addressed this January. And I hope that he is smart enough to realise he has to manage his own expectation in that regard.

Deity

The difference being ‘Klopp wouldn’t hesitate to select any of those youngsters who won the League Cup on Sunday for any game’ league decider, FA Cup final even a Champions League final because he trusts them & he knows they’re good enough.
Surely you can figure out why Robins is hesitant to throw our youngsters in.
No I can’t against a non league team losing 3-0 with 15 mins to go who had not had a shot on goal !

Deity

He isnt happy

Sounds like MR has forgotten what life was like under SISU very quickly.

We were one of the highest spenders in the summer of 2023.

I’d have like 1 or 2 more additions in Jan but I don’t see the value of moaning in public about it and giving players a ready made reason to fail. If he has legitimate concerns talk to the owner not to CWR !

Hertsccfc

Tbf and to play devil's advocate. It's Doug king who decides as the owner how the money is spent. Even Robins should respect that if kings line is, I don't want loan players with no resale value then that's what he has to work to. It's significantly better than 12 months ago when all he had was average youngsters + McNally. None of whom we signed come summer.

Of course as fans we want high quality players even on loan if it means we get promoted, but it's not a guarantee that had we got the two extra players in we would make the play offs. ( and of course we would all like to think we would!)

Just to say as well, that King can't now complain tho that we don't make the play offs when the depth up front wasn't addressed this January. And I hope that he is smart enough to realise he has to manage his own expectation in that regard.
It is not significantly better if we don't get into the play offs. I think we have been too inflexible in our approach and if those couple of loans would have got us over the line, it is a major mistake.

skybluegod

It is not significantly better if we don't get into the play offs. I think we have been too inflexible in our approach and if those couple of loans would have got us over the line, it is a major mistake.

It is, based on the fact we own a high potential squad rather than 2 high potential individuals. You are talking about league position only.

Exactly the point I was making, if those signings got us over the line. Clearly Doug didn't feel the gamble of money was worth it.

Deity

I have no idea why King was not supportive of loans this window. What I would say is that our track record with loans is at best mixed …. Ayari didn’t work at all, Binks is a squad player, the Palace right back and the Man city left back didn’t really work …. Doyle, McNally were great …. Norton Cuffy divided opinion.

King could be forgiven for thinking that market tends to work more for the loaning club than the club receiving the player.

However as always it comes down to money …. The higher the loan fee, the higher the % of wages you pay the better the player ….

Hertsccfc

It is, based on the fact we own a high potential squad rather than 2 high potential individuals. You are talking about league position only.

Exactly the point I was making, if those signings got us over the line. Clearly Doug didn't feel the gamble of money was worth it.
But the league position is the whole point. I really don't care how many loans we have if it means we get promoted.

Hertsccfc

I have no idea why King was not supportive of loans this window. What I would say is that our track record with loans is at best mixed …. Ayari didn’t work at all, Binks is a squad player, the Palace right back and the Man city left back didn’t really work …. Doyle, McNally were great …. Norton Cuffy divided opinion.

King could be forgiven for thinking that market tends to work more for the loaning club than the club receiving the player.

However as always it comes down to money …. The higher the loan fee, the higher the % of wages you pay the better the player ….
Norton-Cuffy was good. It was just a few people took a dislike to him from the start and felt they had to stick to their guns. Probably our best player in the play off final.

Deity

Norton-Cuffy was good. It was just a few people took a dislike to him from the start and felt they had to stick to their guns. Probably our best player in the play off final.
I rated him too. The broader point is still valid. Are track record is mixed at best.

Hertsccfc

Last time I'm Gonna make the same point. Couple of loans doesn't guarantee promotion.

You might not care, my post literally included the fact that fans don't care.
We will never know. But it remains that if we don't get into the play offs no we haven't done better just because we own all the players.

steve101

The last few weeks we have heard MR moan about squad size and the number of matches the players are playing etc etc ….. if you are 3-0 up at home to a non league side who have not had a shot on target and you choose to bring on proven players rather than give minutes to young players you have no right to moan about player fatigue.

The transfer window is shut and there is f all we can do about squad size now and I don’t want to hear any more MR comments on it. It’s negative and not helpful. Going forward this season it’s about giving players belief and not giving anyone a reason / excuse to fall short.
I agree with you in general. I think there are opportunities missed when he could blood some younger players. At the same time, due to the poor performance on Friday, he may have seen it as an opportunity to regain some confidence. With Dasilva especially, coming on and hearing his song must have been helpful. On saying that, not sure O'Hare and Van Ewijk needed to come on.

Deity

I agree with you in general. I think there are opportunities missed when he could blood some younger players. At the same time, due to the poor performance on Friday, he may have seen it as an opportunity to regain some confidence. With Dasilva especially, coming on and hearing his song must have been helpful. On saying that, not sure O'Hare and Van Ewijk needed to come on.
I totally agree on the Da Silva point.

skybluegod

We will never know. But it remains that if we don't get into the play offs no we haven't done better just because we own all the players.

Where did I say we have done better? I was talking about the transfer situation. As in where we are at with transfers. We have spent the best part of £20-£25 million. Compared to cheap loans.

Nuskyblue

Did find it strange he didn't chuck the youngsters on who were on the bench.
Me too, perfect chance for them. Especially in attacking areas. That said, her persisted with Tav who needed a goal and got two and he could we'll have been one for the chop in that game. He faded when we settled down into game management mode.

Cally Fedora

It’s brilliant Robins is disappointed - he’s passionate to do the best for the club. I also like the fact that King said no - he has the hand on the financial tiller. To be fair to him we’ve seen more investment under King. Obviously he’s had funds to spend but previous owners may have diverted that into dividends etc. Personally I don’t think we really needed a couple of loans anyway.

Hertsccfc

Where did I say we have done better? I was talking about the transfer situation. As in where we are at with transfers. We have spent the best part of £20-£25 million. Compared to cheap loans.
But it all comes down to outcomes. The transfer situation, whether permanent players or loans, is only better if they result in us doing better.

skybluegod

But it all comes down to outcomes. The transfer situation, whether permanent players or loans, is only better if they result in us doing better.

I'm not going round in circles on this. My previous replies have already addressed this. You disagree that's cool.

Sick Boy

He isnt happy

It’s pretty obvious he’s not happy.

Sick Boy

Sounds like MR has forgotten what life was like under SISU very quickly.

We were one of the highest spenders in the summer of 2023.

I’d have like 1 or 2 more additions in Jan but I don’t see the value of moaning in public about it and giving players a ready made reason to fail. If he has legitimate concerns talk to the owner not to CWR !
He’s also got much higher expectations and targets now compared to when SISU were about.

Deity

There hasn’t been huge investment, we sold two of the leagues best players and a portion of the money has been reinvested.
I don’t think you understand the definition of investment.

If you sell an asset and make a profit and then use the majority of that new profit to buy more assets you have made a new investment ….

King was not obligated to reinvest to the degree he has and frankly most championship club owners would not have done.

Sick Boy

I don’t think you understand the definition of investment.

If you sell an asset and make a profit and then use the majority of that new profit to buy more assets you have made a new investment ….

King was not obligated to reinvest to the degree he has and frankly most championship club owners would not have done.
You said there had been “huge investment”.

Northants Sky Blue

So King drops 12m on Wright (8m fee + 4m wages)

But wont front 200k for 4 months of Rak-Sakyi in the run-in

Thats a chump-change gamble for Doug and I just wish he'd taken it to further strengthen MR's hand

Users who are viewing this thread