Rooney £300k per week: You really couldn't make it up (1 Viewer)

NottsCov

I pay my Sky Sport subscription because I love watching football. I don't bother getting worked up about what the players are earning, it doesnt affect me so what's the point

Brighton Sky Blue

The sooner we run our game like these fine people, the better:

[video=youtube;FHywRb9megA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHywRb9megA[/video]

Biggest crowds in Europe, fan owned, profitable clubs, and a national team that wins on penalties...

CCFC88

Unfortunately Football clubs are a business and Wayne Rooney is the face of Man United around the globe. His performances on the pitch clearly dont warrant the wage, however his ability/name which allows United to sell thousands of shirts amoungst all other sorts of tat in Japan/China/Australia and any other country in the world do warrant that kind of money.

Like I said, footballs a business, if you ran a business and you had a piece of machinery crucial to ensuring you were one of the highest grossing businesses in the world that would cost you £300,000 a week to maintain, you'd pay it.

wingy

Shortsightedness on their part I fear
Forgive the pun but for a player on the wane to get a salary on the basis Its saved them a transfer fee Is retrograde step for them and the game as a whole. Will just continue to let things Spiral, upwards for players, downwards for the game.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This is killing the game for everyone. To those who think this is a "fair" wage for someone who kicks a football around needs to wake up and smell the coffee! It's outrageous! :mad:
You only need to look at our situation to see what money has done to the game. Dragged it down into the pits!

wingy

This is killing the game for everyone. To those who think this is a "fair" wage for someone who kicks a football around needs to wake up and smell the coffee! It's outrageous! :mad:
You only need to look at our situation to see what money has done to the game. Dragged it down into the pits!
Echo that HH, he"s not all that,been there ten years and I reckon he'probably had 3 consistent campaigns.He Is not dedicated to being at his best and must be a disruptive Influence IMO.
There really has to be a salary cap,I'd rather Brain Surgeons had a higher reward than the likes of him.

Covstu

again its all relative isn't it, why do movie stars get paid millions every movie - simply because a lot of people pay to watch them. Exactly the same here for footballers, Rooney will ensure that big players will think twice about leaving and ensure that decent players will arrive in the summer.

Sutty

I wonder if the people who would happily give NHS nurses or soldiers £200k+ per week will be as happy when the tax bill arrives.

Brighton Sky Blue

again its all relative isn't it, why do movie stars get paid millions every movie - simply because a lot of people pay to watch them. Exactly the same here for footballers, Rooney will ensure that big players will think twice about leaving and ensure that decent players will arrive in the summer.

If they intend on getting knocked out of the CL early doors every year it may dent their ability to keep paying him.

Sutty

That's not to say I don't think the money in football (particularly the Premier League) is ridiculous by the way. I think money is spent rashly and in completely the wrong way, in general.

However, the argument against high wages in football falls apart very quickly. It simply isn't the way the world works.

Let's say a group of binmen go missing, as well as a group of investment bankers. Whose absence is noticed more in normal life? But the binmen aren't paid more, because there are thousands more potential binmen out there. The same argument applies to soldiers/nurses etc and Wayne Rooney. There aren't thousands more Wayne Rooneys out there waiting for a contract.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's not to say I don't think the money in football (particularly the Premier League) is ridiculous by the way. I think money is spent rashly and in completely the wrong way, in general.

However, the argument against high wages in football falls apart very quickly. It simply isn't the way the world works.

Let's say a group of binmen go missing, as well as a group of investment bankers. Whose absence is noticed more in normal life? But the binmen aren't paid more, because there are thousands more potential binmen out there. The same argument applies to soldiers/nurses etc and Wayne Rooney. There aren't thousands more Wayne Rooneys out there waiting for a contract.

What about world leaders?

Users who are viewing this thread