Rugby World Cup (1 Viewer)

lewys33

Been off the grid for the past few weeks but here it goes........

Firstly Wales - I was screaming at the TV at the Australia game. Not scoring any points when the opposition team is down to 13 men is unacceptable at international level. Why on earth they didn't get the ball out to the wings is beyond me. Wales have only done well in this tournament because of our defence. Attacking options have been very poor, with most points coming from Biggar. You could blame the injuries but I think for the past few years we have been reliant on supreme defence and just grinding away to get points ourselves, with the odd master-class game thrown in for good measure.

The south africa game was pretty devastating, quite similar to the england game I guess but the opposite way around. I thought Wales were quite dominant but 5-10 minutes of brilliance from SA (the try was sublime) and we were finished. The ref didn't help us in the first half but he SA kicker missed a fair few chances so I won't complain. SA deserved the win in the end. Part of me is glad we lost to them in such a close manner. I really don't fancy a semi against those all-blacks. They were unreal ......

Ireland - I turned the tv on and 10 minutes had been played. 17-0?! What the actual fuck?! The argies were amazing. Again don't think any northern hemisphere would have beat them yesterday. They really have come on leaps and bounds and playing in the championship down there is really helping them progress.

Scotland were so unlucky. They played brilliantly and the aussies were just expecting an easy ride. I can't believe they were knocked out by essentially a dodgy referee decision. Could go on about that one for days but unfortunately it is one of them. I was jumping for joy when they took the lead with that last interception try, but it just wasn't meant to be.

So an all southern-hemisphere semi-final line up, first ever, but it's not a surprise. I think the gap between the north and south is bigger than it has been for a while. The southern hemisphere really do play to the very edge of the fine line of breaking the rules, but essentially, they ensure quick ball for themselves, and slow it down for their opposition. The other notable difference is how much more mobile/better the southern hemisphere packs are at actual open play. Several times New-Zealand had props/flankers on the wing, and they are getting the ball and running with it!

Still going to stick with my prediction of a NZ - Aussie final. However after the way NZ played at the weekend, it would be silly to not think they could walk this if they play like that.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Harsh but... ultimately their own fault.

They bottled the line-out, although it was funny to hear commentators say it was always stupid to throw to the back, when England had been given stick for throwing to the front!

I know nothing about Rugby but different scenarios call for different drills surely, England were trying to score a try and Scotland were trying to defend and waste time to see the game out.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I know nothing about Rugby but different scenarios call for different drills surely, England were trying to score a try and Scotland were trying to defend and waste time to see the game out.

Exactly Scotland needed to win the line out and retain possession so go middle or front not back as your creating a bigger risk.

England went front EVERYONE knows that's England's go too throw is that so Wales had premeditated it and won it. Had England gone to the middle or back Wales wouldn't have expected it the Welsh admitted all this after the game.

Terry Gibson's perm

Booing the oppo kicker at pens as well.
Never supposed to happen.
England fans did the same In one of their games.

They will be saying it was football fans, I think time for booze bans in the grounds;)

chiefdave

They will be saying it was football fans, I think time for booze bans in the grounds;)

Was watching a documentary about transport police based in Leeds a while back. They were saying they had far more problems with rugby fans than football fans. It seems trouble at football is generally caused by known groups and is often pre-arranged so relatively easy to deal with. However with the rugby everyone is pissed up and lairy and it can kick off anywhere.

Terry Gibson's perm

Was watching a documentary about transport police based in Leeds a while back. They were saying they had far more problems with rugby fans than football fans. It seems trouble at football is generally caused by known groups and is often pre-arranged so relatively easy to deal with. However with the rugby everyone is pissed up and lairy and it can kick off anywhere.

It does seem that most of the time football hooligans are really only interested in fighting other hoolies

Covstu

would agree with this to a certain extent, i have seen quite a few pissed up rugby louts after games etc all they want to do is tackle each other in the middle of the pub! Whats that about?? Then they start drinking all sorts of piss (some quite literally) and it gets out of hand. Very clicky group also...

lewys33

I'm not entirely sure whether you lot have agendas or actually believe that "rugby folk" are worse, but I can honestly say from going to both football and rugby games I have had more trouble with football fans.

Nick

Administrator
Speaking from a "going out in town" view, when I was younger and out most weekends it was usually the Rugby teams / players kicking off more than football hooligans.

Terry Gibson's perm

I'm not entirely sure whether you lot have agendas or actually believe that "rugby folk" are worse, but I can honestly say from going to both football and rugby games I have had more trouble with football fans.

I would imagine there are good and bad in both sports just like in life, but if an object gets thrown on at a football game there is a huge fuss made where as this is trying to be brushed under the carpet, the most important thing to do is catch the person who threw the object.

I have had more trouble at football games but as i have only ever been to one rugby match that would n't be a surprise.

Terry Gibson's perm

Let's hold our selves to higher standards in rugby and not jump on the easy band wagon of criticising the ref who like all of us is only human and trying to officiate what was an incredible game of rugby.

The comment above is from some bloke called Lewis Moody and is a prime example of Rugby people trying to have the higher moral ground over football people.

bringbackrattles

I've played both football and rugby and from experience rugby players can be psycho's on and off the pitch. As for the fans there are elements who like a fight etc,but on the whole rugby fans just enjoy banter.

lewys33

Rugby think they are so much better than football but at the end of the day they are not.

Generally no they are not, but how many football games can you go to where fans are not segregated?

Let's hold our selves to higher standards in rugby and not jump on the easy band wagon of criticising the ref who like all of us is only human and trying to officiate what was an incredible game of rugby.

The comment above is from some bloke called Lewis Moody and is a prime example of Rugby people trying to have the higher moral ground over football people.

So people say you should always criticise the referee in football? Don't pick certain things just to suit your agenda.

I think its perfectly acceptable to criticise a poor referee. Matt Dawson (world cup winner with england) was very critical of the referee and decision and let twitter know about it. He even argued with fellow ex england players over it. You wouldn't mention that though would you ........

Terry Gibson's perm

Generally no they are not, but how many football games can you go to where fans are not segregated?

So people say you should always criticise the referee in football? Don't pick certain things just to suit your agenda.

I think its perfectly acceptable to criticise a poor referee. Matt Dawson (world cup winner with england) was very critical of the referee and decision and let twitter know about it. He even argued with fellow ex england players over it. You wouldn't mention that though would you ........

How would I know what Matt Dawson said I don't follow him on twitter so can't mention that can I? Would you not say the tone of the comment from Lewis Moody is a bit snooty and an obvious dig at football

On the segregation it is quite a difficult one to answer as nobody would take the risk not to have it and the police would never allow it, but if you want an opinion on it you would have to keep it as some people just can't be trusted to act like adult's sadly I have sat with away fans many times at away games and never had a minutes trouble but i don't jump up when we score etc, but in the ground football is hundreds of times better than it was 30 years ago

lifeskyblue

From what Moody said I took it that it was easy for an Englishman to say after Scotland were on the receiving end. I wonder if he would have said the same if England narrowly lost to a poor decision rather than being outfought and outplayed by Wales and Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Best team won wingy but credit to the Argies they battled hard.
Right piss take though the Wallabies taking over Twickenham as that's the home of English rugby !

lewys33

I personally think they should go for Mallinder from Northampton or try and tempt Shaun Edwards from Wales.

Users who are viewing this thread