Russell Brand (7 Viewers)

SBT

Like I said, I’ll leave it there. And don’t try to twist my words, Mr ‘Journalist’.
I didn’t twist your words, I asked you to clarify them.

Personally I find the idea that being falsely accused of, say, torture is more traumatic than actually being tortured is bizarre. Not sure there are many legal systems that agree with you either.

I didn’t twist your words, I asked you to clarify them.

Personally I find the idea that being falsely accused of, say, torture is more traumatic than actually being tortured is bizarre. Not sure there are many legal systems that agree with you either.
He said he’ll leave it there and it wasn’t him directly. So back off!!

duffer

I get the concerns about trial by media, but at the end of the day this seems like a solidly researched piece, outlining a pattern of behaviour.

If the accusations are false, or even if they're true but can't be reliably proven, then he's got the most favourable defence in the world on his doorstep - the English defamation law, which typically favours the rich and powerful. Brand, by dint of his fame, is both.

Trial by media won't put him in prison, only the actual courts can do that. It will damage his reputation though, without doubt, unless he can put up something better than a "matrix / deep state conspiracy" defence.

The parallels with Saville are interesting; how much better would it have been if he'd have been investigated with similar vigour by the press. How many victims could have been avoided?

Again, in retrospect Saville told us what he was, it was apparently an open secret. Is it a similar story with Brand?

shmmeee

Some of the hypocrisy revealed based on polticial allegiances (not necessarily in this thread) are fascinating. People who wanted Huw Edwards hung for consensual gay sex but get all “hey man let’s see what the judge says” here.

shmmeee

Yes I do

I don’t expect understanding because unless you’ve been sucked into it it’s impossible to even explain. I’ll leave it there.

Ive just been through false allegations. It’s fucking horrible and one of the worst experiences. I’ve still got a brain and can see when someone is clearly abusive though. And I also know people who were raped (multiple sadly) and that my discomfort was still nothing compared to what they went through.

grow up.

rob9872

Some of the hypocrisy revealed based on polticial allegiances (not necessarily in this thread) are fascinating. People who wanted Huw Edwards hung for consensual gay sex but get all “hey man let’s see what the judge says” here.
I thought Brand was Labour anyhow? Huw I thought was ridiculed for how it came about, but dont recall people wanting him convicted of anything. Not sure theres any political angle here

SBT

The parallels with Saville are interesting; how much better would it have been if he'd have been investigated with similar vigour by the press. How many victims could have been avoided?
Were it not for an ITV News investigation and documentary about his sexual abuse, Jimmy Saville would still be remembered as a loveable old eccentric. Much of the previous damage to his public reputation had come from the BBC Louis Theroux documentary.

But I suppose that was all just trial by media, and if none of the cases ever went to court….

SBT

I thought Brand was Labour anyhow? Huw I thought was ridiculed for how it came about, but dont recall people wanting him convicted of anything. Not sure theres any political angle here
You don’t recall the week-long national news debate about whether the BBC had failed to protect a vulnerable child, or whether Edwards had committed a crime?

Grendel

Huw Edwards issue was if he should stay employed- which was in reality impossible. No one wanted him hanged

This is an investigation by The Times not exactly a left leaning publication

jimmyhillsfanclub

Some serious questions to be answered by the production companies, management teams etc. at C4, BBC etc. too isn't there?

In what crazy world is it OK to send a 16 year old female runner to help resolve the tantrums of an egotistical narcissistic power-tripping sex addict battling alcohol & drug addiction....

Grendel

Some serious questions to be answered by the production companies, management teams etc. at C4, BBC etc. too isn't there?

In what crazy world is it OK to send a 16 year old female runner to help resolve the tantrums of an egotistical narcissistic power-tripping sex addict battling alcohol & drug addiction....

Well yes there are. It’s another example of production companies putting their star presenters first and ignoring what I’d imagine were numerous complaints about his behaviour

He’s clearly someone with form for at best inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour

Otis

Well yes there are. It’s another example of production companies putting their star presenters first and ignoring what I’d imagine were numerous complaints about his behaviour

He’s clearly someone with form for at best inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour
Yup and you know there will be others too. Maybe this will open another can of worms.

One person I always expect to hear stories come out about is David Walliams.

May be nothing in it at all, but have always felt there is something off about him.

He has just always given me the creeps. 🤷

When you look back at how Brand was back then, it does all make perfect sense doesn't it. All in plain sight, just as with Savile.

shmmeee

Huw Edwards issue was if he should stay employed- which was in reality impossible. No one wanted him hanged

This is an investigation by The Times not exactly a left leaning publication

I don’t think anyone wants Brand hanged. Just held to justice for his crimes.

Who the reporters worked for is a bit irrelevant (though will add that C4 aren’t left wing to the spreadsheet for later :p ), it’s more the vocally online who are coming out guns blazing. Let’s be honest if he hadn’t taken a turn towards US right wing conspiracist theories lately they’d be baying for blood.

shmmeee

Yup and you know there will be others too. Maybe this will open another can of worms.

One person I always expect to hear stories come out about is David Walliams.

May be nothing in it at all, but have always felt there is something off about him.

He has just always given me the creeps. 🤷

When you look back at how Brand was back then, it does all make perfect sense doesn't it. All in plain sight, just as with Savile.

It came out! He was texting 17 year olds and being creepy af. No one cared.

clint van damme

He took a sharp turn to the right a while ago and started spouting conspiracy theories, (not that that is exclusive to the right).
At the time someone predicted he was doing it to garner support from a community that would blame 'the elites' when the allegations came out.

Grendel

ajsccfc

He seemed to disappear from screens and then switched to an alt-right wellness grifter fairly quickly, popular consensus is that he saw all this on the horizon so has now set himself in the best place to call it a media conspiracy MSM witchhunt woke mind virus matrix attack to prevent him getting close to 'the truth' and he's got an army of followers who'll lap that right up

skybluetony176

He took a sharp turn to the right a while ago and started spouting conspiracy theories, (not that that is exclusive to the right).
At the time someone predicted he was doing it to garner support from a community that would blame 'the elites' when the allegations came out.
I’m sure turning to the dark side had nothing to do with his own personal behaviour though. Look how elements of the right are happy to make excuses for the behaviour of individuals like Andrew Tate for example.

Talking of Tate is it right that Brand has gone down the whole Matrix I’ve taken the pill they’re coming after me line of defence? My Mrs said she’s seen that going around on social media.

shmmeee

To be fair he was when he was writing his books and on main stream political programmes

I hadn’t even heard his name for years mentioned

Yeah. The cynic might say he went out of his way to build a cult like following with a history for forgiving sexual abusers if they have the right politics. The cynic might.

shmmeee

I wasn't aware of that..

He’s another Ive heard a few things about (couple of acquaintances are around that sort of scene in London), there was this but nothing ever came of it. Again nothing illegal or close to Brand, but you’d think enough for some questions to be asked. He’s another Ive heard can be quite litigious.

clint van damme

I’m sure turning to the dark side had nothing to do with his own personal behaviour though. Look how elements of the right are happy to make excuses for the behaviour of individuals like Andrew Tate for example.

Talking of Tate is it right that Brand has gone down the whole Matrix I’ve taken the pill they’re coming after me line of defence? My Mrs said she’s seen that going around on social media.

And even if he's found guilty in a court of law with a strong case put forward by the protection those sort of people will still think its a stitch up

ajsccfc

It's all a coordinated effort to go after him while he's at the height of his powers. Not while he was in Hollywood films or worldwide TV or anything, the secret elite society waited until he was hosting a weekday show on Rumble

napolimp

I get the concerns about trial by media, but at the end of the day this seems like a solidly researched piece, outlining a pattern of behaviour.

If the accusations are false, or even if they're true but can't be reliably proven, then he's got the most favourable defence in the world on his doorstep - the English defamation law, which typically favours the rich and powerful. Brand, by dint of his fame, is both.

Trial by media won't put him in prison, only the actual courts can do that. It will damage his reputation though, without doubt, unless he can put up something better than a "matrix / deep state conspiracy" defence.

Again, in retrospect Saville told us what he was, it was apparently an open secret. Is it a similar story with Brand?

This is such an important point regarding the investigation and reporting carried out by journalists. If it was left alone, and we said people shouldn't be outed in the media with investigations left to the police, how many women could potentially become victims of Brand going forwards if the accusations are accurate? It could well be that there isn't enough there to charge him, or the will of the potential victims, but media shining a spotlight on his questionable behaviour could prevent future situations.

duffer

Other than in a pub brawl, I'm not sure that having Tate on your side is necessarily helpful in your defence.

This ridiculous, "the matrix is after us to shut us up", is laughable.

These guys have had huge amounts of leeway to spout their ludicrous and often dangerous opinions.

They're no threat to the state, that's just the typically overblown narcissism that plays to their idiot followers - it's mostly defenceless young women that they threaten.

fernandopartridge

Why are people "calling" for a police investigation? Surely it's a given?

You need a complainant first, given the way this has come out and the way Brand has got on the front foot with his shouts of it being a conspiracy (between those obvious establishment bedfellows Murdoch and Channel 4), is it likely that the victims are going to want to complain and go through that legal process, especially given the very low conviction rate?

Saddlebrains

Local ministers have already basically said that the point of it is to get vehicle speeds under 30mph - which is an absolutely fair urban speed most people don't manage to abide by.

Why is it? I've got a shitty 2007 Seat Ibiza and i tell you now that thing comes to a dead stop from 30 in about 10 metres. Cars these days are way more advanced than when speed limits were introduced and theres no need for 20MPH limits anywhere other than outside schools lets be honest

shmmeee

Why is it? I've got a shitty 2007 Seat Ibiza and i tell you now that thing comes to a dead stop from 30 in about 10 metres. Cars these days are way more advanced than when speed limits were introduced and theres no need for 20MPH limits anywhere other than outside schools lets be honest

It’s if you hit them within that 10m that the problem arises. It’s also about whether people feel safe cycling or whatever on the roads. It’s 30 in my estate but pretty quiet and I like that kids are scooting and biking about freely. TBH 30 feels too fast outside someone’s house if there’s not a decent gap to the pavement.

I honestly don’t see why we prioritise cars everywhere. In that sort of last mile to home zone I don’t see an issue with other road users getting priority. And I don’t think there should be cut throughs residential areas either. Ideally everyone’s onto a main road pretty quickly.

Ultimately the country wasn’t built for this number of cars so somethings got to give.

fernandopartridge

Significant difference between being hit by a Seat Ibiza and being hit by one of the many SUVs that clog roads up

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

napolimp

Why is 30mph a fair urban speed? Because when you're driving down one of Coventry's many Victorian era narrow streets, with cars parked all the way along both sides, it gives you a slight chance of being able to emergency brake in time when a child runs out into the road from a blind spot between 2 parked vehicles.

We used to play football on the road when I was a kid, when a car driver approached us they would slow to a stop and wait for us to move from the road, in a respectful manner. Now you never see kids playing anything in the streets.

Users who are viewing this thread