Salford City (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

It's a difficult one because as soon as any club comes into some money everyone else will naturally get jealous, but I'm sure wouldn't mind if it was their own club. FC Fylde got taken over by a local businessman who pumped his money in and got them from regional leagues to the Conference, just like Salford, and got lauded for it. Totally agree with NW about building a smaller club up rather than make a top club even more elite

I think the only difference is the Man Utd connection that people don't like, even though Otis is right; Scholes was born in Salford and Giggs moved there when he was a young kid.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's a difficult one because as soon as any club comes into some money everyone else will naturally get jealous, but I'm sure wouldn't mind if it was their own club. FC Fylde got taken over by a local businessman who pumped his money in and got them from regional leagues to the Conference, just like Salford, and got lauded for it. Totally agree with NW about building a smaller club up rather than make a top club even more elite

I think the only difference is the Man Utd connection that people don't like, even though Otis is right; Scholes was born in Salford and Giggs moved there when he was a young kid.

It's not just jealousy, it's not healthy for the game for small clubs to spend blatantly beyond their means reliant on the generosity of a benefactor. It inflates fees and wages and unbalances an already dodgy playing field. We're at a point where one of the biggest clubs in Scotland has been outmuscled by a Conference side. That's just not right.

Nick

Administrator
It's not just jealousy, it's not healthy for the game for small clubs to spend blatantly beyond their means reliant on the generosity of a benefactor. It inflates fees and wages and unbalances an already dodgy playing field. We're at a point where one of the biggest clubs in Scotland has been outmuscled by a Conference side. That's just not right.
Will end up like leyton Orient when they paid Darius Henderson about 8 or 9 k a week

Brighton Sky Blue

Will end up like leyton Orient when they paid Darius Henderson about 8 or 9 k a week

I don't think Neville and Scholes will walk from them any time soon but it's such a massive risk. Yes we all want our clubs to be able to buy the best and shoot up the leagues but at what cost?

Reactions: vow

Nick

Administrator
It is funny how Gary Neville tries to preach about grass roots football but then manages to take a player from the Scottish Prem and put him on stupid money in non league and also run a non league club that has debts of millions.

Read that the Accrington chairman has been giving him a bit of stick for it as well.

Terry Gibson's perm

I see no problem at all with it and it’s obviously working as they are going through the leagues a lot of it is just jealousy from the other clubs and if they need a strike partner for him we have the perfect one in Stuart Beavon

Nick

Administrator
I see no problem at all with it and it’s obviously working as they are going through the leagues a lot of it is just jealousy from the other clubs and if they need a strike partner for him we have the perfect one in Stuart Beavon

Is it all jealousy though?

It's all well and good while the money is flowing but will they be with the Orient fans moaning to the EFL if the gamble doesn't work and the money tap stops. I'd bet Rooney is costing them more than the club turns over.

Terry Gibson's perm

Is it all jealousy though?

It's all well and good while the money is flowing but will they be with the Orient fans moaning to the EFL if the gamble doesn't work and the money tap stops. I'd bet Rooney is costing them more than the club turns over.

They should enjoy the ride it could be worse they could have owners like ours who think it’s a business

Nick

Administrator
They should enjoy the ride it could be worse they could have owners like ours who think it’s a business

That's my point, at the end of the day it is a business that is millions in debt and spending way above what it brings in.

It's fine if somebody is willing to write that money off and just throw it away but how long will it happen for?

There is also the impact it has on other teams who will then have to try and compete, other players in their league will want more money, ticket prices will go up, shirt prices go up. Other clubs will then be trying to claw as much money as possible to get closer to them.

People enjoyed our premier league years, look what happened after all the money we didn't have was spent.

SkyBlueSoul

Tbf it must be a bugger being a fan of another decent National League club, if you assume Salford are going to romp the league you're essentially writing this season off unless you get up through the play-offs. The ones I've seen on Twitter just want Salford promoted as quickly as possible to get them out the way and level the playing field again.

I think their hearts are in it, they just haven't gone the best way about it.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's my point, at the end of the day it is a business that is millions in debt and spending way above what it brings in.

It's fine if somebody is willing to write that money off and just throw it away but how long will it happen for?

There is also the impact it has on other teams who will then have to try and compete, other players in their league will want more money, ticket prices will go up, shirt prices go up. Other clubs will then be trying to claw as much money as possible to get closer to them.

People enjoyed our premier league years, look what happened after all the money we didn't have was spent.

Is the debt from the ground redevelopment or money spent on players?

They and the banks obviously believe the investment is sound.

They are effectively years behind other conference clubs so must spend a large amount quickly to progress just like Man City did and that seems to have worked

Nick

Administrator
Is the debt from the ground redevelopment or money spent on players?

They and the banks obviously believe the investment is sound.

They are effectively years behind other conference clubs so must spend a large amount quickly to progress just like Man City did and that seems to have worked

Surely you could say all of the other failed experiments thought the investment was sound? When the guy at Leyton Orient was throwing money about he had no worries, when Richardson was trying to build new stadiums and buying players we couldn't afford they probably thought the investment was sound.

What will they do when they get into League 2 and suddenly have to abide by spending regulations?

Terry Gibson's perm

Surely you could say all of the other failed experiments thought the investment was sound? When the guy at Leyton Orient was throwing money about he had no worries, when Richardson was trying to build new stadiums and buying players we couldn't afford they probably thought the investment was sound.

What will they do when they get into League 2 and suddenly have to abide by spending regulations?

They will try to get around it like all of the decent clubs have as it is one of footballs most ridiculous rules, they have done the ground already, there is probably a rule for teams entering the league.

Nick

Administrator
They will try to get around it like all of the decent clubs have as it is one of footballs most ridiculous rules, they have done the ground already, there is probably a rule for teams entering the league.

Not too sure it is a ridiculous rule, it should be enforced with much harsher penalties to be honest.

Liquid Gold

All decent clubs try to spend beyond their means is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

Grendel

It’s mostly owned by a billionaire so most of the debt is chicken feed

Terry Gibson's perm

All decent clubs try to spend beyond their means is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

Who said beyond their means Man City and PSG have endless money but are hamstrung to keep established teams like Man Utd happy, surprised to see that most of the teams that spend lots are at the top of all the European leagues and the teams that try not to are also rans.

Our owners live in a football world that doesn’t exist trying to live within your means it has always been a thing for rich men to play and waste money in.

Liquid Gold

Who said beyond their means Man City and PSG have endless money but are hamstrung to keep established teams like Man Utd happy, surprised to see that most of the teams that spend lots are at the top of all the European leagues and the teams that try not to are also rans.

Our owners live in a football world that doesn’t exist trying to live within your means it has always been a thing for rich men to play and waste money in.
It's not that they have endless money its that their owners do. If their owners had them spending £100m a week on wages then decided to walk away the clubs would go pop.

Nick

Administrator

It does exist though because there's FFP and things like that to force living within means.

Where are Leyton Orient now?

Terry Gibson's perm

It's not that they have endless money its that their owners do. If their owners had them spending £100m a week on wages then decided to walk away the clubs would go pop.

The owners will subside and just write off they want to win that is the plan they might act like they want to break even but they don’t care it’s all about prestige

Terry Gibson's perm

It does exist though because there's FFP and things like that to force living within means.

Where are Leyton Orient now?

Who cares Nick they had a mad owner who didn’t know what they were doing, did they not have to follow ffp then?

Nick

Administrator
Who cares Nick they had a mad owner who didn’t know what they were doing, did they not have to follow ffp then?

Was he treated as a mad owner when he was spending way more than the club could afford on wages and sign on fees or just after it had gone wrong? They probably enjoyed the ride when they had loads of money pumped in.

The Reverend Skyblue

surely one of this country's greatest miscarriages of justice, how the hell did someone see Darius Henderson play football and said he's worth paying 8/9K a week.
Yes some people may bring up the Birmingham 6, but come on this is so much worse

Last edited:

steve82

With the previous talk of FFP it looks like Birmingham city could be hit with a 12 point deduction for falling foul of FFP rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread