Should drugs be legalised? (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

Not really related and a bit boring but...

I think it was countryfile it had these top secret opium fields, hectares and tons of opium growing in the UK by a company licensed. Was amazed no gangsters had found it but there was shit loads of it.

Fair enough I have no doubt we could grow some but people are saying it's so easy to get and it is so common that surely there would be more demand than supply?

Nick

Administrator
Fair enough I have no doubt we could grow some but people are saying it's so easy to get and it is so common that surely there would be more demand than supply?

Would probably see an increase in people growing it themselves too.

I don't really know anything about drugs though.

clint van damme

And where do we get these huge quantities of drugs from to legalise it?
Most of the drug business is run by terrorists.
Okay you legalise it so where do you grow it, in such large quantities? Britain cannot sustain this itself, so it has to import, even then that's relying on a product from another country where it is legal?

A) If the drug business is run by terrorist why not take it out of their hands?
B) Britain is already a net exporter of cannabis.

skybluegod

A) If the drug business is run by terrorist why not take it out of their hands?
B) Britain is already a net exporter of cannabis.
As I said because we can not grow every drug there is, so would have to import. And you have offered no solution as to how we suddenly 'take control'. It just sounds like you are one of those brexit idiots who shouted, 'let's take back control' but offered no substance as to how

skybluegod

Would probably see an increase in people growing it themselves too.

I don't really know anything about drugs though.

But then as I say that endangers more people because it is more readily available if people are able to grow their own weed. And then people are likely to experiment with different strands and try and make it better, which then leads to more problems

clint van damme

that's right. I'm one of those Brexit idiots!
You don't suddenly take control but you start with the obvious one, weed, make mediational cannabis legal, then recreational, and take it from there, same as they've done in the US and Spain, or we could follow the Portuguese example.

skybluegod

The thing is imo, is that ATM only idiots and the uneducated are doing drugs as it is. Legalising it then exposes it to people that would never have done it if it was illegal imo

skybluegod

that's right. I'm one of those Brexit idiots!
You don't suddenly take control but you start with the obvious one, weed, make mediational cannabis legal, then recreational, and take it from there, same as they've done in the US and Spain, or we could follow the Portuguese example.

Yeah I would ever use the US Template, you only have to look at their president, and the average trump supporter to see their intelligence levels.

And tbh I don't know anything about Portuguese and Spanish models to judge, so I have no answer to that

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yeah I would ever use the US Template, you only have to look at their president, and the average trump supporter to see their intelligence levels.

And tbh I don't know anything about Portuguese and Spanish models to judge, so I have no answer to that

I'd politely suggest its not just the Portuguese & Spanish models that you are ignorant of regading this subject.

Malaka

What people chose to put in their bodies does not affect me, nor is it any of my business. What is my business is the money spent chasing dealers and the violence that occurs with the money involved. Therefore if it was decriminalised, much of the violence would be eradicated and the police could concentrate on perverts and nasty toe rags

skybluegod

I'd politely suggest its not just the Portuguese & Spanish models that you are ignorant of regading this subject.
And you are so much better?
You are doing and illegal substance, with no valid reason to back it up except I like it.
It goes against my moral compass when people are idiotic enough to think it should be legalised. I don't see any benefits other than to please idiots who damage their own bodies.
We need to clamp down on this behaviour not legalise it.
Okay yes you have free will ofc you can do what you like. But it isn't ignorant to have a different and perhaps an 'ignorant' view on this subject.

clint van damme

Not sure what trump and his supporters have to do with the success of say California in legalising and taxing cannabis? They've raised a lot of tax dollar though it is obviously a huge economy in it's own right.
You do realise we extensively use opium and ketamine in the NHS already?

covmark

How would adding tax and retailer margins onto a product drive dealers out of business?
Obviously you'd have to tax it moderately. People are more likely to buy something that has been tested and certified from a shop, than go to some dodgy dealer to save a couple of quid, whilst not knowing 100% what they're buying.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Obviously you'd have to tax it moderately. People are more likely to buy something that has been tested and certified from a shop, than go to some dodgy dealer to save a couple of quid, whilst not knowing 100% what they're buying.

But then on the other hand, if I could buy MDMA from a chemist I'd be more likely to give that a whirl knowing it was just MDMA than something that's probably bleach and talc off the street which I wouldn't touch now.

I have no interest in MDMA now, but then if it was legal and over the counter I would be more inclined to try it.

skybluegod

Not sure what trump and his supporters have to do with the success of say California in legalising and taxing cannabis? They've raised a lot of tax dollar though it is obviously a huge economy in it's own right.
You do realise we extensively use opium and ketamine in the NHS already?
I was more talking about the intelligence of Americans in general, due to the fact that Donald trump won the election by speaking on purpose with with the intelligence of a 9 year old in order to exploit the unintelligence of people. I don't know the drug policies of other countries in general, but what I do know is that it isn't as simple as just copying another countries template and expecting the same results, and as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a big enough sample to really judge? But I have to say you could be right in this instance. Because I have know knowledge on it, but I still don't believe in legalisation of drugs.

covmark

But then on the other hand, if I could buy MDMA from a chemist I'd be more likely to give that a whirl knowing it was just MDMA than something that's probably bleach and talc off the street which I wouldn't touch now.
It's a fair point. I think there could be an initial increase in consumption by people who are curious. But if people want to take drugs they will. Making it so that they know what they are taking is surely a better option.

clint van damme

I was more talking about the intelligence of Americans in general, due to the fact that Donald trump won the election by speaking on purpose with with the intelligence of a 9 year old in order to exploit the unintelligence of people. I don't know the drug policies of other countries in general, but what I do know is that it isn't as simple as just copying another countries template and expecting the same results, and as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a big enough sample to really judge? But I have to say you could be right in this instance. Because I have know knowledge on it, but I still don't believe in legalisation of drugs.

you're right it isn't as simple as copying other countries templates but our drug laws in this country plainly aren't working, we should try something else.

skybluegod

I'd legalise everything, certainly decriminalise it. If it doesn't work you can always criminalise it again.

Again I disagree, surely making such dangerous substances freely available cannot come to good?
And surely once you have spent all that time and money and resources legalising it. Criminalising it again wouldn't be just as simple as that. And the damage will have already been done?

Liquid Gold

I have no interest in MDMA now, but then if it was legal and over the counter I would be more inclined to try it.
But what's the problem with that, if it was safe to buy, you could only buy it in a quantity that avoids overdosing and had to undergo a psychological evaluation before purchase. As has been said before many of these drugs are much safer than alcohol, something that we see as very normal. I don't see why you, as an independent intelligent adult, cannot make the choice of what to do with your own body.

Nick

Administrator
But what's the problem with that, if it was safe to buy, you could only buy it in a quantity that avoids overdosing and had to undergo a psychological evaluation before purchase. As has been said before many of these drugs are much safer than alcohol, something that we see as very normal. I don't see why you, as an independent intelligent adult, cannot make the choice of what to do with your own body.

I'm not saying it's a problem, just that I'd be more likely to try and get on it than I would now.

clint van damme

Again I disagree, surely making such dangerous substances freely available cannot come to good?
And surely once you have spent all that time and money and resources legalising it. Criminalising it again wouldn't be just as simple as that. And the damage will have already been done?

So do you think current drugs policy is working?

covcity4life

Cannabis is rife anyway. If people want it they can get it no problem.
As Mr trench says, we should legalise it. Tax it. And put the drug dealers out of business.

no i am saying if he ban it properly,by which i mean we enforce it,we dedicate resources to it. and when we catch people we put them away on good sentences. zero tolerance

i can understand people saying legalisation over current system
i cannot understand people saying legalisation over no weed(which has to be the aim)

covcity4life

Why are more people endangered? Anyone that wants drugs can get them already. By legalising I believe that fewer will be endangered. I'm certainly not going to buy it, even if it were legal and cost 1 penny a kilo. Same for anyone else who is educated and cares about their bodies. The people taking it are either not educated (we can educate them) or don't care about their bodies (we can help them).

of course weed taking would increase if it was legal

none of my mates smoke weed,none of my uncles either

i guarantee if it was legal i can think of 3-4 straight away who would buy it regulary just to get the buzz or chill.

covmark

no i am saying if he ban it properly,by which i mean we enforce it,we dedicate resources to it. and when we catch people we put them away on good sentences. zero tolerance

i cannot understand people saying legalisation over no weed(which has to be the aim)
Where are you going to put all these cannabis smokers when they're locked up. Our prison system is already on its arse. Not to mention the massive underfunding of our police force.

clint van damme

we currently have Police chiefs telling us they don't have the resources to monitor suspected terrorists adequately, do you really think they're going to be given the manpower to clamp down on cannabis smokers?

Liquid Gold

That's been tried though, the whole 'war on drugs' nonsense and we're still here with people taking drugs.

covcity4life

we currently have Police chiefs telling us they don't have the resources to monitor suspected terrorists adequately, do you really think they're going to be given the manpower to clamp down on cannabis smokers?
i have only ever approcahed this debate with a perfect world scenario. i have said that a few times

Liquid Gold

They might do if there was extra money from taxing cannabis use..

Users who are viewing this thread