Should Mark Robins be sacked? (1 Viewer)

Should Mark Robins be sacked?

• Total voters

Otis

Those of us in the know are fully aware of their funding campaign to help right wing rebels overthrow several small, tinpot South American countries.

Think of Joy Seppala as some kind of twisted Che Guevara, albeit with a more substantial moustache and matching beret and handbag.

mark82

Do you honestly think if promotion dose not come this season things will in prove we will have less supporters which means less cash for Robins to spend (Waste). We will lose the better players, players who we might attract by going up will go elsewhere. If we do not go up I think next season the only way to look will be down the division

I wouldn't say he's wasted money. His signings have been pretty good on the whole. For me it's purely tactics, and it seems to have been since Steve Taylor was taken ill.

To be fair, looking at it in the cold light of day I was probably a bit harsh. He's had horrendous luck with long term injuries (who rather than how many). We lack creativity at the moment but I'd be willing to bet if we still had Jones & Andreu available we'd be higher up the league and the football would be better. Nazon was the other creative player and with him gone it's left us devoid in that area. The attempts to replace that creativity haven't been successful but the January window is difficult. He's also missing his trusted number 2 which will affect even the best managers.

wingy

The only area of potential waste of funds would for me be Beavon ,Vincenti potentially.
I did wonder If we needed all the CB's but the evidence says I was wrong.

Nick

Administrator
Oh and the loans don't seem to have worked .

Agree with that. One thing it shows is the massive gulf between U23 football and proper football.

Barrett was scoring and assisting for fun for Reading U23's, comes to us and doesn't play but then gets a hat trick for the U23. Plays in the first team and seemingly struggles to run.

JMD looks like with loads of time on the ball he will be decent, he kind of reminds me of a wide playing Stevenson.

JCH is the only one who seems promising so far, give him time to settle in and give him service and I think he will do a job.

Adge

The only area of potential waste of funds would for me be Beavon ,Vincenti potentially.
I did wonder If we needed all the CB's but the evidence says I was wrong.
He gave Burge and Haynes new contracts aswell.

steve82

I wouldn't say he's wasted money. His signings have been pretty good on the whole. For me it's purely tactics, and it seems to have been since Steve Taylor was taken ill.

To be fair, looking at it in the cold light of day I was probably a bit harsh. He's had horrendous luck with long term injuries (who rather than how many). We lack creativity at the moment but I'd be willing to bet if we still had Jones & Andreu available we'd be higher up the league and the football would be better. Nazon was the other creative player and with him gone it's left us devoid in that area. The attempts to replace that creativity haven't been successful but the January window is difficult. He's also missing his trusted number 2 which will affect even the best managers.

I thought this earlier in the season, very early on in the season Steve Taylor was taken out the picture and I feel it's made a impact. This is MR trusted right hand man. He looked lost for a while without him. Adi Vivesh I don't rate too much for the level were at tho he's played around this level in his playing days.

Maybe a Andy Morrell type of assistant next season would be better than a high level youth team coach should Steve Taylor still be absent.

Things come in three's they say, Taylor, JJ, Andreu all along term victims this season. A curse, bad luck or another season at ccfc.

duffer

The stability notion is a myth, most clubs rinse through managers in a two year period , we just need the right manger at the right time

Where's your evidence for it being a myth? I can show you a lot of proof that changing every time we have a bad run isn't working for us.

stevefloyd

I think Robins is doing ok obviously atm we are on a downturn with everyones hopes set to high we are at this moment feeling a little down but as I have said a few times now it takes time to build a team, we appear to have a decent budget but that doesnt mean how much we buy a player for its how much his initial cost is and then wages to get him to play for our team. We missed out on other players probably because we didnt break our wage structure to bring in mercenaries although those mercenaries may have brought us more success but I guess this was more a business decision than calculated risk.
When our budget comes around for next season obviously we have the nucleus of a decent team so we should be able to attract the players needed to compliment what we already have, remember its not great atm to be a Cov fan (may or not be better after today) but Robins has given us more highs in this tenure than many other recent managers lets cut him some slack for those highs ar least

rupert_bear

I think Robins is doing ok obviously atm we are on a downturn with everyones hopes set to high we are at this moment feeling a little down but as I have said a few times now it takes time to build a team, we appear to have a decent budget but that doesnt mean how much we buy a player for its how much his initial cost is and then wages to get him to play for our team. We missed out on other players probably because we didnt break our wage structure to bring in mercenaries although those mercenaries may have brought us more success but I guess this was more a business decision than calculated risk.
When our budget comes around for next season obviously we have the nucleus of a decent team so we should be able to attract the players needed to compliment what we already have, remember its not great atm to be a Cov fan (may or not be better after today) but Robins has given us more highs in this tenure than many other recent managers lets cut him some slack for those highs ar least
Where do you get when we get next years budget from ? it will be minimal even if we sell a couple of starlets and recieve a windfall from Maddison and/or Callum Wilson and that’s the fundermentle problem we will be selling players like Bayliss possibly McNulty and bringing in freebies in the hope they deliver.

Captain Dart

Where do you get when we get next years budget from ? it will be minimal even if we sell a couple of starlets and recieve a windfall from Maddison and/or Callum Wilson and that’s the fundermentle problem we will be selling players like Bayliss possibly McNulty and bringing in freebies in the hope they deliver.

Isn't it inevitable a D3/D4 team has to regularly develop and sell player assets to survive?

clint van damme

I thought this earlier in the season, very early on in the season Steve Taylor was taken out the picture and I feel it's made a impact. This is MR trusted right hand man. He looked lost for a while without him. Adi Vivesh I don't rate too much for the level were at tho he's played around this level in his playing days.

Maybe a Andy Morrell type of assistant next season would be better than a high level youth team coach should Steve Taylor still be absent.

Things come in three's they say, Taylor, JJ, Andreu all along term victims this season. A curse, bad luck or another season at ccfc.

I'm always curious when people make an assessment of the assistant manager. What do you have to go on? Isn't the assistant ultimately carrying out the will of the manager albeit the manager may listen to his ideas and take them on board occasionally.

I've saw no end of occasions when an assistant manager has taken control of the first team following the managers departure and totally changed the style of play which suggests he wasn't totally on board with his predecessors ideas.

Like I say, not having a go or disagreeing with your assessment but genuinely curious as to how who formed that opinion.

steve82

I'm always curious when people make an assessment of the assistant manager. What do you have to go on? Isn't the assistant ultimately carrying out the will of the manager albeit the manager may listen to his ideas and take them on board occasionally.

I've saw no end of occasions when an assistant manager has taken control of the first team following the managers departure and totally changed the style of play which suggests he wasn't totally on board with his predecessors ideas.

Like I say, not having a go or disagreeing with your assessment but genuinely curious as to how who formed that opinion.

Fair comments and your right to question what is my take on it and offer yours. You make some good points about how a no 2 changes things up when they take a caretaker role but then that's in a reactive situation to a manager likely being sacked but your right they don't always share the same idea which is what you want. A trusted no 2 challenging your ideas constantly and offering his own ideas. Not one that going yes boss good idea boss.

For over 300 games and 10 years they have known and worked together. At 5 clubs now they have worked together daily and importantly have that connection in matches bouncing ideas off each other. A trusted opinion and not necessarily the same opinion but that's what makes a duo.

Rarely do you see Adi Vivesh in MR ear like we did with Steve Taylor. To me that connection isn't there and suggests Vivesh is here supporting MR going along with MR thoughts or his own tactical thoughts of academy football which as many are now realising is still strides away from L2 football.

Of course it's my assumption from how I look on opposite the dugout at home games and little change I see on the pitch. I believe MR is missing his right hand man to a degree, it's not the absolute issue but a factor in a big equation.

Hope that gives a better insight to how I see it.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Moan, moan, moan, moan fuckin moan.
Get a grip this is 4th division football, with a 4th division manager.

Otis

Moan, moan, moan, moan fuckin moan.
Get a grip this is 4th division football, with a 4th division manager.
Flash forwards to this exact date 2020.

'Get a grip, this is non league football, with a non league manager.'

And then again to 2025.

'Get a grip, this is without a league football and we haven't even got a manager.'

Londonccfcfan

Flash forwards to this exact date 2020.

'Get a grip, this is non league football, with a non league manager.'

And then again to 2025.

'Get a grip, this is without a league football and we haven't even got a manager.'

Small steps of progress this season is the way to go. Rather than backward which is what it’s been for 18 years.

Robins is laying the building blocks for having a crack at play offs this season. And improving the squad and know how next season.

I think it’s a 2 year project to get out this league. And in saying that we are in with a shout this season even with the injuries we have had.

Otis

Small steps of progress this season is the way to go. Rather than backward which is what it’s been for 18 years.

Robins is laying the building blocks for having a crack at play offs this season. And improving the squad and know how next season.

I think it’s a 2 year project to get out this league. And in saying that we are in with a shout this season even with the injuries we have had.
Don't start talking about 2 year projects. I'm getting a very worrying dose of déjà vu.

Nick

Administrator

What small steps of progress?

Sick Boy

We are likely to have a reduced budget next season in League 2.

robbiekeane

Jesus he didn’t even have to make up the garbage excuse like Mowbray did, you just made it for him

Colin Steins Smile

But then in turn, if the problem isn't the manager then what difference does it make giving the manager a few years to build something?

Surely the immoveable object that is preventing progression is still there in place.
Every successful sporting organisation develop a system and infrastructure framework which allows the technical staff to perform effectively. At Our club most Managers have never been time for
their systems to mature, against a backdrop of instability at executive and board level.

Captain Dart

Current expectation levels in the fanbase are positively subterranean.
Nobody seems to expect anything of our glorious owners beyond 'having a crack'.

There is an inbuilt losing mentality hereabouts.

Otis

Every successful sporting organisation develop a system and infrastructure framework which allows the technical staff to perform effectively. At Our club most Managers have never been time for
their systems to mature, against a backdrop of instability at executive and board level.

I'm sure I've heard you speak on Question Time.

oucho

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but according to Wikipedia, MR's second tenure up to 13th Feb has seen him put together a win ration of 48.1% from 52 games. Hardly a sackable offence. If we expect better from ANY manager then we're in for a disappointment.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but according to Wikipedia, MR's second tenure up to 13th Feb has seen him put together a win ration of 48.1% from 52 games. Hardly a sackable offence. If we expect better from ANY manager then we're in for a disappointment.

I expect better than 10th in Division 4 yes. Don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread