Showing support for Palmer on Friday (5 Viewers)

mark82

If you want to clear up racism one place to start would be the off topic board and some proper bans in this place.

Society is rampant with it and it rears because it’s tolerated whether overt or ‘nudge nudge wink wink’ online.
If you can send me over some examples I'll do that. I never go on off topic so don't see it.

Macca

If everyone saying how awful this is called-out the next act of racism they come across, at the football or not, that would be worth more and achieve more than any kind of one-off, group gesture on Fri night. Call it out or accept it. That's your choice.

And this is the crux of it 100%. The modern world is full of tokenism. Clap for a minute, take the knee, change your FB profile picture. It is what’s called slacktivism. Not just on issues of race. This is the best take I have seen on this site in years. If you care about something then act. Stand up for what is right in every aspect of life and maybe just maybe the world will be a better place

mmttww

This is the best take I have seen on this site in years.

Season 6 Aww Shucks GIF by Friends

Happy_Martian

Maybe Kasey and lads will take the knee before kick off and everyone on here who was so dead against it will finally suck it up.

In reality I’m not sure what can be done anymore outside of direct action.

Happy_Martian

I will be wearing my 2 Tone kit !

I've tweeted the club asking if that's going to be put on the Retro kit range. Both a top quality shirt and a perfect reminder that football doesn't accept racism.

rob9872

We should absolutely support Palmer, but tbh I'd take him out of the firing line and give him a break from Friday's game. He'll unfairly feel under enormous pressure.

It's also not just about him. He was the target, it was disgusting. But how do our other black and Asian players feel? What about our fans and friends too? What about the black Wednesday players and fans too? And that's before we even begin to take the moral highground and pretend we don't have racist fans of our own.

I've always said education is the way, I'm no longer even sure it is. I also always thought it was the older generation and in time would be gone, but the perpetrator yesterday didn't look particularly old again. We just have to keep calling it out. I know it only drives it underground but I actually think I'd rather have that now than see players and fans being made to feel like they will have again this weekend and accept that cunts will always be cunts.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Everyone singing ...

If you all hate racists, clap your hands.

To the tune of coming round the mountain.

All decent fans can get involved, no matter who they support

…not “you racist b***ards, you know what you are…”?

Unfortunately you know that’s making an appearance whether we like it or not

David O'Day

And this is the crux of it 100%. The modern world is full of tokenism. Clap for a minute, take the knee, change your FB profile picture. It is what’s called slacktivism. Not just on issues of race. This is the best take I have seen on this site in years. If you care about something then act. Stand up for what is right in every aspect of life and maybe just maybe the world will be a better place
Simply, it is everyone's civic duty to punch anyone they hear being racist.

Happy_Martian

We should absolutely support Palmer, but tbh I'd take him out of the firing line and give him a break from Friday's game. He'll unfairly feel under enormous pressure.

Get what you're saying BUT if we do that, are we telling the racists that they've won ? Not sure how we can handle this sensitively.

Talking to some Sheff Weds fans on Twitter, they've said they'll be prioritising survival so may play reserves in the Cup game. Our focus should be the league too with Bristol on the following Tuesday. Robins is likely to change the team a la Oxford. Will they target Tav instead ? Or do we show racism doesn't win and put out our strongest team and just beat them ?

skyblu3sk

It's basically the difference between not being racist and being anti-racist one is passive not doing anything racist the other is challenging racism in all forms to educate and iradicate.

Old Warwickshire lad

It's also not just about him. He was the target, it was disgusting. But how do our other black and Asian players feel? What about our fans and friends too? What about the black Wednesday players and fans too? And that's before we even begin to take the moral highground and pretend we don't have racist fans of our own.

I've always said education is the way, I'm no longer even sure it is. I also always thought it was the older generation and in time would be gone, but the perpetrator yesterday didn't look particularly old again. We just have to keep calling it out. I know it only drives it underground but I actually think I'd rather have that now than see players and fans being made to feel like they will have again this weekend and accept that cunts will always be cunts.
As a 70 year old I’m sorry but I take exception to your comment Rob. I’m no racist and I am fully aware what constitutes racism.
Yes some are confused about what words are acceptable eg black,coloured, but that’s still not racism.
I agree people of my generation find it somewhat difficult when we hear boys say I identify as a girl,and young girls say they identify as boys.
And sometimes we even chuckle amongst ourselves when they identify as neither. But that’s because by then we are totally lost.
But if we were going to have a bet for a pint, I would bet more more young men shout racist abuse than any other group.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wouldn’t it be good to show our support for Palmer on Friday in the best way we can.
Firstly 45 mins solid of the Kasey Palmer song for our number 45, even if he isn’t playing.
Secondly, it would be a fitting show to get us playing in the 2tone kit.
Let’s show them vile individuals how to really show support.

One Kasey Palmer there's only one Kasey Palmer, all the way through the game.

rob9872

As a 70 year old I’m sorry but I take exception to your comment Rob. I’m no racist and I am fully aware what constitutes racism.
Yes some are confused about what words are acceptable eg black,coloured, but that’s still not racism.
I agree people of my generation find it somewhat difficult when we hear boys say I identify as a girl,and young girls say they identify as boys.
And sometimes we even chuckle amongst ourselves when they identify as neither. But that’s because by then we are totally lost.
But if we were going to have a bet for a pint, I would bet more more young men shout racist abuse than any other group.
It's not about YOU so no need to make it so. At no point does my post say all old people are racist. This place will always look for something different to what clearly isn't the important part of any post.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I have to say, I would be inclined to agree to an extent - I think there’s a legacy of racist views in some older generations, but maybe based on opinions passed down and the fact it was more accepted / less widely criticised back in the day, but I do think there’s little chance of many / any in that generation or indeed mine (let’s say mid to late 40s upwards) standing on a football terrace shouting racist abuse believing it is acceptable… (pricks at Sheff Weds and perhaps a few others excepted)

I think the difference is the younger generation have little concept as to what is right and what is wrong, and without getting too deep and meaningful this isn’t just about racism, it’s a problem across the whole of society - kids don’t have any fear of authority and they think they are allowed to say and do what they like, maybe fuelled by social media, along with drugs and drink they can’t handle, who knows…

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s the younger generation of football fans who to be honest don’t really have the intelligence in the main to understand the implications and impact of what they are saying. It is a shame but it seems like most have a chip on their shoulder, and / or have something to prove to their mates - it is a wider societal problem

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

It's not about YOU so no need to make it so. At no point does my post say all old people are racist. This place will always look for something different to what clearly isn't the important part of any post.

@rob9872 I can see what you are saying, but no need to get aggressive with your post - @Warwickshire lad was merely making a point he feels strongly about - he isn’t racist (I assume) and wasn’t standing on the terrace berating KP on Saturday, so maybe calm down a tad eh?

False9

Its clearly a problem across all of our society and in our own fanbase so I don't see what chanting at Wednesday fans achieves.

A cov 'fan' on the overground after wembley loudly used the n word about Dabo and was rightly put in his place however I still see the guy posting on twitter, attending cov and England games etc.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Its clearly a problem across all of our society and in our own fanbase so I don't see what chanting at Wednesday fans achieves.

A cov 'fan' on the overground after wembley loudly used the n word about Dabo and was rightly put in his place however I still see the guy posting on twitter, attending cov and England games etc.

not called out or reported though?

chanting won’t achieve anything, and to be honest I doubt it’s intended to - it isn’t going to turn the clock back, stop this from happening again, or probably even make KP feel better (other than to know the fans are behind him) but it will happen anyway, and it shows the Wednesday fans how we feel, even if the majority probably already realise

False9

not called out or reported though?
Well he was called out in person at the time and shit himself. Fair few witnesses to it and comments on social media afterwards I recall.

But it just shows he can carry on supporting city and England as if nothing happened.

There's no obvious repercussions unless you happen to be caught on camera and the authorities get involved.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Well he was called out in person at the time and shit himself. Fair few witnesses to it and comments on social media afterwards I recall.

But it just shows he can carry on supporting city and England as if nothing happened.

There's no obvious repercussions unless you happen to be caught on camera and the authorities get involved.

and even then it’s not guaranteed anything will be done - wasn’t someone given time in prison recently for racially abusing Rio Ferdinand? this should be the norm / starting point for anybody found to be guilty of racial abuse…and yet some Wednesday fans were arguing over a lifetime ban from the stadium being too harsh

rob9872

@rob9872 I can see what you are saying, but no need to get aggressive with your post - @Warwickshire lad was merely making a point he feels strongly about - he isn’t racist (I assume) and wasn’t standing on the terrace berating KP on Saturday, so maybe calm down a tad eh?

Aggressive?? Ffs really? He completely took one small irrelevant point of my post and chose to comment on that rather than the more important aspect and even then was inaccurate. This place is bonkers.

TewkesburySkyBlue

Wouldn’t it be good to show our support for Palmer on Friday in the best way we can. Firstly 45 mins solid of the Kasey Palmer song for our number 45, even if he isn’t playing. Secondly, it would be a fitting show to get us playing in the 2tone kit. Let’s show them vile individuals how to really show support.

I will be wearing my 2 Tone kit !
Onthis occasion cant we get the EFL tgo agree we can wear the two tone kit?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Aggressive?? Ffs really? He completely took one small irrelevant point of my post and chose to comment on that rather than the more important aspect and even then was inaccurate. This place is bonkers.

OK maybe aggressive was a bit much, and yeah like I said I take your point - but no need to have a go at somebody for commenting on something that’s important to them, in this case justifiably pointing out that his age group aren’t the main perpetrators. I’m not sure you even said they were, in fact I think you were arguing against it being so, so you’re actually both saying the same thing? albeit that’s a small part of your overall point in your post.

I just think that maybe given the wider issues there’s no point picking off points between us, and that applies the other way round too

long way home

For no other reason than to put the player and his family 1st we should take a step back and listen and watch over the next few days to what's going on and what is coming out of the club. Whatever Kasey decides to do on Friday we should respect, as he now has to protect his family and his family well-being before anything else.

Sadly, for him this will not just go away Friday, he will have to decide how he wants to handle this on a few levels. I wish him and his family the best and know we as fans show him what we are all about. We are a some of the best fans in the country and are a family club, but also from a City known for its diversity. So we all know how we feel, but lets make it about the care of Kasey and his family, listening to him could be a good starting point.

Last edited:

wingy

I've always said education is the way, I'm no longer even sure it is. I also always thought it0 was the older generation and in time would be gone, but the perpetrator yesterday didn't look particularly old again. We just have to keep calling it out. I know it only drives it underground but I actually think I'd rather have that now than see players and fans being made to feel like they will have again this weekend and accept that cunts will always be cunts.
Something I've wondered, quite sapping on the energy scale of any human being I'd think, even rest of squad!

wingy

A trip to wembley with a coach load, probably 30 % expressing disgusting opinions on it re Taliban or whatever, uncomfortable journey.

SWFC1867

We as SWFC fans are lucky Palmer didn't simply walk off the pitch, he was well within his rights to do so in my opinion, theres no place for it.
All I can do is apologise to the bloke and hope he does play in the cup game.
It was obvious to those around me on the Kop that something insidious had happened, players don't react like that to nothing,sure players will wind oppo fans up, why not?, fans are allowed to give them stick when they sky a shot or skew a cross, you get some back when they score, take it on the chin, its football.
Its shaming any Owls fan descends to the level of a bloody neanderthal and sends us hurtling back to the 70's and all over the news for the wrong reasons ...again.
anyhow..Well played, thoroughly deserved the win and great support, and once again apologies aren't enough but Sorry Mr Palmer, I hope the idiot is banned for life, I can take the banter when we lose, i'm used to it, but that level of behaviour is beyond the pale...good luck for the rest of the season cov

Users who are viewing this thread