Sky Blues set to play home games at St. Andrews (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

For me Coventry City ceases to be Coventry City the day it relocates to outisde of the City. Although I live away now I could never, and will never, support the club if it moves itself away from Coventry. These next three games mean nothing to me if this move happens, it would send out the strongest message possible if barely anybody attends them.

jas365

Birmingham is a £1.80 (de courcey price, don't know the adult Midlands fare) bus away, or £5 train away, it's not ideal, and if people can't go, fair enough, choosing not to go, in my view is shallow, especially if people are willing to go away games and not to Brum to watch CCFC play.

I'm looking forward to it tbh, might experience the nightlife, town before etc. it'll be like an away game, and I prefer away days anyway!

I've had an away season ticket for 13 years, and missed about 5 away games in the last 22 years. If we play at St Andrews I won't be there. Does that make me shallow?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Birmingham is a £1.80 (de courcey price, don't know the adult Midlands fare) bus away, or £5 train away, it's not ideal, and if people can't go, fair enough, choosing not to go, in my view is shallow, especially if people are willing to go away games and not to Brum to watch CCFC play.

I'm looking forward to it tbh, might experience the nightlife, town before etc. it'll be like an away game, and I prefer away days anyway!

I'm sure the supporters of Wimbledon were dispensed similar cheery advice when their club was moved to Milton Keynes.

It's 'Coventry City Football Club'. There's a huge clue in the first word.

Anyone who thinks they can whore the home venue around the midlands, to suit an agenda based on contract dispute, commercial convenience or better demographic is someone I refuse to support

Brighton Sky Blue

How shallow.

I don't stand for allowing the club to get ripped off with a immoral rent, whoever owns us, neither do I support SISU's immoral ways of handling this saga (if it works, I won't complain though), so I'm happy to support this move somewhat, if it's a temporary solution. This may turn out to be a shrewd move, equally it could turn out to be catastrophic, we'll have to wait and see! I think it'll lead to short-term losses less people coming, which may, however, be neutralized IF we get revenues, but long-term could be better, in the form of a rent agreement. I don't know what will happen.

It'll be interesting to see if SISU have called ACL's bluff that they don't need CCFC, if so, it'll be used as a lever to return to the negotiation table, and get an even further favourable rent agreement, if ACL really don't need CCFC, well, the move shoots the club in the foot... With a shotgun.

Anxious times ahead people, brace yourselves.

For the millionth time Taylor the rent isn't the issue.

RoboCCFC90

I'm sure the supporters of Wimbledon were dispensed similar cheery advice when their club was moved to Milton Keynes.

Anyone who thinks they can whore the home venue around the midlands, to suit an agenda based on contract dispute, commercial convenience or better demographic is someone I refuse to support

Yes you refuse to support SISU MMM, we all know this, but do you refuse to support the lads who play for the badge? Coventry City should be playing it's home games in Coventry no doubt, but I wouldn't stop following the City if we ended up for a short time in Birmingham..

Brighton Sky Blue

For a moment I thought the story meant that City were relocating to the small town in Scotland I go to university in. St Andrews United's ground holds a few hundred to be fair so it's not completely barmy.

Sky Blue Pete

Yes you refuse to support SISU MMM, we all know this, but do you refuse to support the lads who play for the badge? Coventry City should be playing it's home games in Coventry no doubt, but I wouldn't stop following the City if we ended up for a short time in Birmingham..

Robo what about you and defending the indefensible that sisu are portraying as their side of the argument??

People are saying their team ceases to exist at a particular point. The line for some is the team playing outside of coventry

Mucca Mad Boys

We won't end up like Wimbledon, they were moved but then franchised to become MK Dons, different scenario.

You could compare us to Brighton when they had to play in Gillingham, if you consider CCFC hard-done by!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I would support the team, yes. But I wouldn't travel to watch them play outside of Coventry. You make reference to 'the badge' - look at it. Look at what it includes.

If 10K turn up (they won't, but bear with me), SISU would take the jaundiced view that our home is irrelevant; and if they have a continued involvement with our club and they are inclined to look toward a new home, they'll place it exactly where the hell they wish

Last edited:

Otis

There is no certainty it would be short term.

If Sisu remain here then you would think that it well could be the long term!

Think that's half the problem. If fans knew it was just 3 games then back to the Ricoh they might be a little more onboard with it.

If Sisu remain then the rent thing is going to just continue and after the 1.3 m not being paid (assuming administration) then you could well see ACL and the council stopping us play there.

My guess is if Sisu remain we will be playing elsewhere for as much as the next 3 years at least.

And you have to say, the owners won't care where we play if it makes money, or results in much lesser losses.

They won't give two hoots.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree I just wonder whether you can continue to defend the indefensible attitude of sisu

It was analysing the scenario, gave a balanced view, I said it could be good, could be bad, I don't have the power of hindsight, I just go with what I think will happen, we'll all inevitably come to different conclusion, as we don't have to conform to one view.

If you read the post I was quite clear that I don't support SISU's immoral way of handling the situation, but if it works, I won't complain.

RoboCCFC90

Robo what about you and defending the indefensible that sisu are portraying as their side of the argument??

People are saying their team ceases to exist at a particular point. The line for some is the team playing outside of coventry

Pete I am not saying it's wrong for people to not want to follow the lads out of the city, by all means that there choice.. When it boils down to it for me personally I would travel the rest of the season to follow CCFC if they ended up playing in Brum.. MMM used MK Dons as an example, but Wimbledon changed completely and became MK Dons, we are still Coventry City and this I believe is only temp as my gut say's we will be at the Ricoh before the end of the season.

I am not defending the indefensible, but I support CCFC and I will follow them wherever they go!!

1nilandwe...

If we do play our matches for a short time outside of the city, I will still be supporting the team. I will still want us to record a victory.
However, I will most certainly not be going.

To have a situation where a more than adequate stadium sits empty whilst the club has to squat somewhere else is an absolute, categoric, shambolic embarrassment.
Regardless of who's side you are on in this unholy mess, as fans, we need to let everybody involved know that this is nothing to do with us and we will not accept our club being toyed around with any longer.

If there was a vote on it, I would vote that en masse we should not attend 'home' matches away from the Ricoh. It is an absurd situation which is simply not acceptable.

rob9872

FFs it's a temporary arrangement (and that's if it's even true). Short term pain for long term greater good fo the team. I'll be there and assumemost letting off steam on here will be too. If it was for any length of time I wouldn't be going either, but it's 3 games only and hardly the end of the world. In fact from the City Centre is possibly more accessible and cheaper than the Ricoh!

WestEndAgro

I will go, it's still my team, i have followed them for Forty years I'm not going to stop now it's only temporary.
I went to Filbert Street years ago to see us play Luton, can't remember exactly why we played their, possibly to do with away fans ban,plastic pitch etc
Anyway each to their own, if you don't want to go don't , I wouldn't critise anyone who chooses not to go.
Its still unconfirmed as yet anyhow, and many posters are convinced we will be at the Ricoh.
The only certain thing is we need confirmation very soon.

Mucca Mad Boys

For the millionth time Taylor the rent isn't the issue.

What is it about then, playing staff? Manager?

Fundamentally it is about the rent, because we wouldn't be talking about this, admin, Haskell IV, liquidation etc etc. if SISU agreed with the rent.

RoboCCFC90

I would support the team, yes. But I wouldn't travel to watch them play outside of Coventry. You make reference to 'the badge' - look at it. Look at what it includes.

If 10K turn up (they won't, but bear with me), SISU would take the jaundiced view that our home is irrelevant; and if they have a continued involvement with our club and they are inclined to look toward a new home, they'll place it exactly where the hell they wish

Yeah I look at it every day when I pop a shirt on over me and it's tattooed on me.. I believe there is even a rule against CCFC playing it's game's away from Coventry while under the namesake.. SISU May think that but if someone can clarify that rule for me I would be grateful, because if that is there thought train then it's not possibly by FL Rules..

Brighton Sky Blue

We won't end up like Wimbledon, they were moved but then franchised to become MK Dons, different scenario.

You could compare us to Brighton when they had to play in Gillingham, if you consider CCFC hard-done by!

We will presumably have to pay something to Birmingham for using their ground, so it's not the genius idea that Fisher presumably thinks it to be. As for Brighton-the circumstances there were that the club's owners illegally sold off the Goldstone to personally profit from its sale. That was corruption forcing the club to play elsewhere; here we have a ground that is completely available for us to use but in their infinite wisdom our owners have decided to play elsewhere to 'make a stand'. It's bloody pathetic and it's one humiliation too far for supporters of this club.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

There's also the issue that if we play at St Andrews, it also would illustrate that SISU refuse to see reason. It's no wonder - if this is right - that negotiations have broken down.

There's a clear statement, in the public arena, that the Ricoh is available for the team to play in. Moving else where to prove a moot point, and inconvenience us the fans in so doing, would be a victory for semantics over common-sense

torchomatic

Looking at some of the posts it seems that it's a lose-lose situation then? Go to see "the lads" at St Andrews or wherever and you're sending a message to SISU that you are backing what they are doing. And if you stay away then you're not supporting your team. What to do, what to do?

Personally, I reckon I'll be in Block 28 as normal on Friday.

CJparker

How shallow.

I don't stand for allowing the club to get ripped off with a immoral rent

There's nothing immoral about charging £1m per year for a stadium that cost £30m to built - try to get a cheaper rate in the private sector. (You won't). Therefore, you are asking for a subsidy from ACL for the football club, which they are not obliged to give.

if I owned CCFC I would pay the original rent perfectly happily - I'd also accept the generous reduction offer from ACL and thank my lucky stars that a third party was happy to help the club manage in a situation brought about solely by its own incompetence.

torchomatic

Don't agree with you often, but I do on this.

There's also the issue that if we play at St Andrews, it also would illustrate that SISU refuse to see reason. It's no wonder - if this is right - that negotiations have broken down.

There's a clear statement, in the public arena, that the Ricoh is available for the team to play in. Moving else where to prove a moot point, and inconvenience us the fans in so doing, would be a victory for semantics over common-sense

Brighton Sky Blue

Fundamentally it is about the rent, because we wouldn't be talking about this, admin, Haskell IV, liquidation etc etc. if SISU agreed with the rent.

Fisher has declared himself happy with £400k some time ago. It isn't even about revenue access, with ACL offering to go 'open book' on F+B and cross invoice the whole lot to the club-it's about repaying the arrears. Evil ACL have even offered to cut down the amount owed on that by £100s of grand.

Otis

Looking at some of the posts it seems that it's a lose-lose situation then? Go to see "the lads" at St Andrews or wherever and you're sending a message to SISU that you are backing what they are doing. And if you stay away then you're not supporting your team. What to do, what to do?

Personally, I reckon I'll be in Block 28 as normal on Friday.

Might be best then to take a travel rug and a flask of hot tea, Torch.

RoboCCFC90

There is no certainty it would be short term.

If Sisu remain here then you would think that it well could be the long term!

Think that's half the problem. If fans knew it was just 3 games then back to the Ricoh they might be a little more onboard with it.

If Sisu remain then the rent thing is going to just continue and after the 1.3 m not being paid (assuming administration) then you could well see ACL and the council stopping us play there.

My guess is if Sisu remain we will be playing elsewhere for as much as the next 3 years at least.

And you have to say, the owners won't care where we play if it makes money, or results in much lesser losses.

They won't give two hoots.

I don't think they will be here Otis this is the thing and I certainly don't believe this even beyond the short term..

I maybe wrong but I am sure there is even a FL Rule that say's a Club cannot be taken out of it's namesake without a means for relocating back to that place within a certain amount of time.

I hope you'll be wrong Otis and that CCFC will be plunged into admin tomorrow and the Coventry City can be reunited with the fans, taken on by new owners, with SBT being given a stake in the club..

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We would. Fisher even stated, and I paraphrase here: 'it's not about rent, it's about revenues, stupid' (a play in Clinton's 'it's about the economy, stupid', I think) - on Shane O'Connor's show

Mucca Mad Boys

I've had an away season ticket for 13 years, and missed about 5 away games in the last 22 years. If we play at St Andrews I won't be there. Does that make me shallow?

What are your motives behind not going? If you simply can't go because of the move, then no. If you simply CBA, then yes, actually.

Brighton Sky Blue

We would. Fisher even stated, and I paraphrase here: 'it's not about rent, it's about revenues, stupid' (a play in Clinton's 'it's about the economy, stupid', I think) - on Shane O'Connor's show

Said revenues have been offered in full to be cross invoiced by ACL. He has nowhere to hide.

rob9872

I guess if we wanted to prove a point we could all turn up at the Ricoh and listen to CWR? That would be more of a protest than not turning up and ACL have said that the stadium is available.

Mucca Mad Boys

... Which is part of the... Rent agreement :eek:

Don't split hairs.

Users who are viewing this thread