So, you'd rather go to the ricoh? (1 Viewer)

Bigelvesy

If its come to the Ricoh to listen to the radio on a Friday night I'm out. Just not logistically possible with where I live. Suspect it would end up with a few hundred there.

To all those thinking friday nights may be our "home games" anybody who hasnt seen footy law blogs posts.
During a groundshare, the team in the higher league has their fixtures take preference, ergo ours our likely to be saturday.

Once again, lets not write anything in or out until we know such a campaign is going ahead, firm plans are in place, and ccfc fixture lists are amended to show groundshare

The Penguin

The idea of an old boys type of match has a lot of merit, and I think would be more effective than opening the ground up to listen to the match. People would get to watch some football, not perhaps of the highest quality but we all love a bit of nostalgia. Throw in some other events for the kiddies and partners, giveaways and events etc...a big Family Day Out would be fantastic.

The only sticking point is that it relies entirely on supporters to get behind it by turning up.

I also think it needs to be on a Saturday at 3pm. Send the message that this is what SISU are missing out on because of their decision.

spwaverley4916

i'm in - whatever happens even if its a friday nightgame - we all have to be there- this is the one true 'demonstration' that would bring worldwide coverage

mark82

The idea of an old boys type of match has a lot of merit, and I think would be more effective than opening the ground up to listen to the match. People would get to watch some football, not perhaps of the highest quality but we all love a bit of nostalgia. Throw in some other events for the kiddies and partners, giveaways and events etc...a big Family Day Out would be fantastic.

The only sticking point is that it relies entirely on supporters to get behind it by turning up.

I also think it needs to be on a Saturday at 3pm. Send the message that this is what SISU are missing out on because of their decision.

Exactly. This will pull in the crowds more than a radio broadcast.

SunZoomSpark

get the Telegraph behind it.....and get just a percentage of those who turned up for Crewe last year and this could be a great event....and a great point made.....

Manchester_sky_blue

Thing is though thats a one off event, you cant get an old boys game going every single week. Perhaps if the supporters team were playing there week in week out it could work. It needs to be sustained for a whole season to make a real statement.

jimmyhillsfanclub

IMHO, based on the thread so far, it should be along the lines of this:

Event Name: Home is where the Heart is

Strapline: CCFC Supporters summer sizzler.

Venue: The Ricoh Arena.

Date: Sat. 10th August

Gates: 12.00pm

KO: 3.00pm

Event details: Old boys IX game/Fans Beer & Family BBQ/Charity Penalty shoot out

Ticket prices: Free Entry. (Suggested donation to cover costs @ £2.50 single or £5.00 per family.

The Penguin

Thing is though thats a one off event, you cant get an old boys game going every single week. Perhaps if the supporters team were playing there week in week out it could work. It needs to be sustained for a whole season to make a real statement.

Are 10 000 people going to go and watch the supporters team every single week?

I see your point and do agree with it somewhat but I'm just not sure that's the answer.

mark82

And you think listening to the radio would be sustained for a whole season?

Edit: sorry didn't read that properly.

bamalamafizzfazz

I don't think it needs to be sustained over the season. A one off date where we know City will play on the Saturday at 3pm for certain with loads of fans at the Ricoh having a family day which includes everyone in the community.

Doesn't have to be August 10th, especially if we are to do it as a veterans game as this needs to be arranged.

To be fair a few more weeks is going to help organise a better event. I do events organising and it's no easy feat. I would offer my services but unfortunately I will be on holiday through most of August.

You must understand as well, You will get people who want to listen to the game though if it's on at the same time. Imagine the press getting footage of Sky Blues fans celebrating a goal at the Ricoh that was scored in Northampton. It would look quality!

Manchester_sky_blue

And you think listening to the radio would be sustained for a whole season?

Edit: sorry didn't read that properly.

This is my point, it needs to be a whole raft of things going on, not just a kick about or just the radio. It needs to be a whole day out. Somewhere you can go on a saturday with the whole family and have some fun for little outlay.

Manchester_sky_blue

I don't think it needs to be sustained over the season. A one off date where we know City will play on the Saturday at 3pm for certain with loads of fans at the Ricoh having a family day which includes everyone in the community.

A one off event won't do it and wheres the attraction for ACL to allow it if it isn't going to be repeated?

mark82

This is my point, it needs to be a whole raft of things going on, not just a kick about or just the radio. It needs to be a whole day out. Somewhere you can go on a saturday with the whole family and have some fun for little outlay.

Agree. Proceeds to a fighting fund for the club.

mark82

A one off event won't do it and wheres the attraction for ACL to allow it if it isn't going to be repeated?

A one off event would initially be best. ACL want CCFC back at the Ricoh like we do. Why would they not want to side with CCFC supporters?

A one off event would bring more people in and more media coverage. Imagine 30,000 people at the Ricoh for something like this. I bet there are enough people who feel strongly enough to support a one off. If it goes down well could repeat a few times throughout the season.

Manchester_sky_blue

A one off event would initially be best. ACL want CCFC back at the Ricoh like we do. Why would they not want to side with CCFC supporters?

A one off event would bring more people in and more media coverage. Imagine 30,000 people at the Ricoh for something like this. I bet there are enough people who feel strongly enough to support a one off. If it goes down well could repeat a few times throughout the season.

But it doesnt change anthing, the next week SISU FC are back playing at Northampton again and we are doing nothing. It takes the pressure off. If there is no alternative then your average fan who just wants to watch his team play might well go to Sixfields. It plays in to their hands.

I have learned from personal experience that sustained pressure is the only thing that achieves results.

_brian_

Now this might be a crazy suggestion and I'm not sure if it's feasible, but is there any way that we could guarantee a ticket for the JPT final for people who buy a ticket for this event?!?! It might swell the numbers! Just a suggestion!

bamalamafizzfazz

This is not a sustainable event though. A family fun day doesn't sound too fun in the middle of December or January when it's freezing outside.

I understand that sustained pressure gets results but as soon as City step foot on that pitch at Sixfields it's already too late.

If the football league allows it we will not be playing at the Ricoh.

Having what will effectively be a sit in event at our home where our games are supposed to be played instead of watching our team should gather enough media interest to make this whole move look a ridiculous one by the club.

We firstly need to agree and commit to a date as well as the content the event will have and move from there.

I would strongly suggest not August 10th as there's a high possibility that Northampton will be playing that day not us.

Bigelvesy

Whatever the content of the day, its the actual being there that matters. It is essentially a sit in but it will only work if we beat the numbers a 6fields.

I dont know how easy it is to get the radio coverage or former players to get a game together but if i get a positive response from the trust (and unfortunately it does need their backing contacts wise) im sure we will do all we can to make this an incredible sign that the coventry city fans stand united in this.

Please, lets give this time to develop rather than casting doubts straight away or moving away from the original concept. Pass the message on to friends and get their take, come back and let us know what kind of following you could all bring. And PUSB

Brighton Sky Blue

Isn't that kind of like the whole point?

If the stadium is free and available it would give them chance to play on a big stage and for disenfranchised City fans the chance to watch some football.

I'd sooner head down the road to Nuneaton.

Brighton Sky Blue

But that wouldn't make any statement to Sisu and CCFC would it?

3,000 at the Ricoh for a game to watch whoever would make a clear statement to the owners.

Zero home fans at Sixfields is about as effective as they will understand.

wingy

Zero home fans at Sixfields is about as effective as they will understand.

Massively symbolic for the constituents of Coventry to show solidarity for their Community asset ,far more positive than all drifting off in differing directions and far more positive than standing outside Sixfields when the "Boats already sailed ", Sptting the Dummy.

Brighton Sky Blue

Massively symbolic for the constituents of Coventry to show solidarity for their Community asset ,far more positive than all drifting off in differing directions and far more positive than standing outside Sixfields when the "Boats already sailed ", Sptting the Dummy.

Yep, fair point Wingy however ACL won't hang around forever so unless we can offer something which can match or top the missing income from the club then it's an uphill task from the off. An idea that's been floating around my head lately has been to host an international 'Sky Blues' tournament inviting guest teams from clubs all over who also share the Sky Blues nickname, chiefly:

Ballymena United (Northern Ireland)
Celta Vigo (Spain)
Lazio (Italy)

Alongside a representative team for ourselves and any other teams with the same nickname. Logistically a challenge though just a thought.

wingy

Any one of the events mentioned can be the fulcrum to get the people there . The Object ,Chain around the RICOH all joined Arms ,even appeal to non CCFC ,IE:-Citizens of Coventry.

Brighton Sky Blue

Isn't there a Sky Blues in Australia? Would be a nice away trip!

The nickname is used all over the world I think-like I said it'd probably be too much effort to organise in time for August, but who knows. An international festival of football at the Ricoh with fans from all over coming to Coventry to witness first hand the quality of the venue and just how silly our club is to abandon it.

Users who are viewing this thread