Summer Recruitment (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Some of these 'signings' will need 1) a transfer fee 2) increased wage to back that up. Some of the current playing squad may then have to be appeased to keep everyone sweet. Difficult balancing act. I am slightly reassured by MR's comment that things are much better financially now, than this time last year (although whether that was a sneaky way of pressuring the owners to release funds, as MR knows the budgetary position, I don't know. Clever, if so!)

steve82

McNulty always needs to play alongside someone IMO. Without that extra support from someone doing the dirty work his talents are wasted.

Exactly, to me he’s not the sort to lead a line in a 4231, but in the 10 you take him out the box where his predatory nature is taken away the same as the wide areas. He’s better feeding of a focal player in a 442 to me and his stats suggested that prior to his ccfc days.

Question hen is does Andreu suit a 442 wide role?

Difficult balancing act for MR to get right this summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyBlueCRJ

Exactly, to me he’s not the sort to lead a line in a 4231, but in the 10 you take him out the box where his predatory nature is taken away the same as the wide areas. He’s better feeding of a focal player in a 442 to me and his stats suggested that prior to his ccfc days.

Question hen is does Andreu suit a 442 wide role?

Difficult balancing act for MR to get right this summer

Genuinely couldn't guess with Andreu as unfortunately I never got to see him play this season! But if I had to I'd say he could do a job as a makeshift LM, but his best position is definitely No.10. It's slightly awkward having a player of Andreu's ilk at the club as you have to juggle things about just to fit him in. I'd rather stick with the 442 if I'm honest as I think Robins' favoured 4231 formation (which is more suited to Andreu's style) is great defensively but for some reason or another we seem to completely lack creativity. Maybe that will change with him coming into the side but we'll have to wait and see!

Fergusons_Beard

Defo need full backs.

Weak link for a while and Grimmer/Stokes and Haynes just not good enough footballers for league 1/future.

McDonald had a great start but tailed off, Vincenti lost his confidence then ninjured both surplus to requirements.

Jodi Jones & Andreau like new signings and could make massive contributions.

Other Glaring gaps are rapid wingers (as we ain’t got any) Ponticelli not a winger nor is Bayliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ccfclinney

I personally don’t think, haynes and stokes are good enough for top end of league one, Haynes can go for me. Keep stokes as back up can also do a job Centre back.
So with hyam Willis and Davies would probably be tempted to ship out McDonald also.

Another goalkeeper proven league one if can get one free and then keep Burge back up although not massive for me think O’Brien could leave them.

Would like us to sign a winger for each side, love Shipley but I really don’t rate him enough for league one. So could Be ok back up for Jones. Bayliss clearly isn’t a winger.
So Reid and Vincenti could go for me.

Centre mid need another good Centre mid think kelly could get found out in league one although been really good last couple games.

Would sign JCH but do feel we need another striker to get us goals up top. Proven league one goal scorer would be good up top next to Mcnulty.

My view to leave -

Kelly Evans twins
Vincente
McDonald
Reid
O’Brien if replacement signed

Sign-
Gk - if big enough budget
Left back
Centre mid
Left wing
Right wing
Striker

That’s if we are to compete top 10 again I believe. Need a bit more on the bench also to be honest didn’t look great on Monday. Shows how thin on the ground we are but with Jones and Andreu back will help and Westbrook signed, hopefully good few options.

AFCCOVENTRY

Get Adam Armstrong on loan if he's doesn't sign for Blackburn.

We need some L1 quality players to bolster the squad. I'll be amazed if Doyle can complete a whole season in L1 at his age now.

Vincenti, Rod, Kelly twins, Haynes won't cut it in L1.

Having Andreu and Jones will be like having brand new attacking players which is great. Andreu a playmaker and Jones a winger.

Still would like a quality experienced GK.

Grendel

Get Adam Armstrong on loan if he's doesn't sign for Blackburn.

We need some L1 quality players to bolster the squad. I'll be amazed if Doyle can complete a whole season in L1 at his age now.

Vincenti, Rod, Kelly twins, Haynes won't cut it in L1.

Having Andreu and Jones will be like having brand new attacking players which is great. Andreu a playmaker and Jones a winger.

Still would like a quality experienced GK.

How would someone like Armstrong partner McNulty

Andreu has managed to build a reputation based on mythology. He could be a great signing like McNulty or he could be the next Peter Vincenti - no one knows.

fernandopartridge

Yah, not sure if Grimmer will be good enough for League One unfortunately.

He he is not very good with players running at him and more often than not allows wingers to go past him and get balls into the box.

I like Stokes a lot, but he's not the quickest.

Think it may be time to move McDonald on, both of the DKE's, Vincenti, Beavon, Reid and Haynes

Grimmer played in league 1 for Shrewsbury and was liked there. He's a decent player.

Grendel

Grimmer played in league 1 for Shrewsbury and was liked there. He's a decent player.

He gets s lot of stick for his defending but he gets little help from the right of midfield. Vincenti when he played struggled, Jones isn’t that well disciplined and for all his good points Bayliss is awful at defensive cover.

SlowerThanPlatt

Why is McDonald not rated all of a sudden and fans want him out of the door? He's had a few bad games but so has everyone over the season, some were saying he'd be a target for Championship clubs in January

Gibbo

just my humble opinion but i fear the best we can do with Bayliss is for him to be back on a one year loan deal - just can't see a biggish team not snapping him up for their future ala Maddision and Norwich. I think he is a real talent, McNulty, will surely get an offer from a lower league championship outfit such as a Bolton/ Rotherham, etc, that will be an acid test for me cos replacing his goals won't be remotely easy. beyond that and again my humble opinion, a new keeper, possibly 2 new full backs but certainly a left back would be the basics, Andreu and Jones will be like 2 new signings as such. not sure on JCH but I thought a deal was in place anyway?
And Otis notwithstanding Ponticelli hasn't the look of McNulty yet...

Otis

Why is McDonald not rated all of a sudden and fans want him out of the door? He's had a few bad games but so has everyone over the season, some were saying he'd be a target for Championship clubs in January
I would say he had more than 'a few' bad games.

Just hasn't looked the same player he was at the start of the campaign.

Shame, because first few games in he had suddenly become my favourite player at the club.

Otis

And Otis notwithstanding Ponticelli hasn't the look of McNulty yet...
Nope, he hasn't. He needs to improve his movement and also engage his brain a bit more. Around the box though he can be deadly.

Gibbo

He gets s lot of stick for his defending but he gets little help from the right of midfield. Vincenti when he played struggled, Jones isn’t that well disciplined and for all his good points Bayliss is awful at defensive cover.
Agreed, Bayliss is terrible at tracking back, unlike Shipley. Grimmer has a lot of potential and should be earmarked for the no 2 shirt next season. He covers an awful lot miles in a match

Otis

Agreed, Bayliss is terrible at tracking back, unlike Shipley. Grimmer has a lot of potential and should be earmarked for the no 2 shirt next season. He covers an awful lot miles in a match
I like him, I really do, but he does get beaten too easily at times by wingers and his distribution and especially his crossing, at times is dreadful. Shame, cos his first touch is very good and he has a bit of pace and intelligence about him.

SlowerThanPlatt

With Bayliss if you want his flair you have to live with some of the flaws. Also out of position don't forget and being shoehorned into the team. Exeter played 2 left backs yesterday, the experienced Moxey at left midfield, to try and nullify him and it worked for the first half at least

Gibbo

I like him, I really do, but he does get beaten too easily at times by wingers and his distribution and especially his crossing, at times is dreadful. Shame, cos his first touch is very good and he has a bit of pace and intelligence about him.

I also wonder whether the big clubs will see his failings better than we do. They want two things I know for certain -
1. Speed, because that is something that cannot be coached. Is Bayliss that quick?
2. Intelligence / discipline. This is why Fellaini at Man Utd is picked so often - the manager sets a position / goal and he does it.

He may have these, I don't know.

SlowerThanPlatt

I also wonder whether the big clubs will see his failings better than we do. They want two things I know for certain -
1. Speed, because that is something that cannot be coached. Is Bayliss that quick?
2. Intelligence / discipline. This is why Fellaini at Man Utd is picked so often - the manager sets a position / goal and he does it.

He may have these, I don't know.
Think Otis talking about Grimmer not Bayliss?

hamil99

Facebook User
I think more important than Recruiting new players is retaining the ones we've got. New contracts for mcnulty, bayliss, Willis, shiply, should of been organised behind the scenes to offer them the day after getting promoted. While they are still hyped up. Plus extensions for most of the team.

Id honestly keep most of the squad as they seem to have bonded well, you don't want to rock the boat to much with people leaving or arriving. Keep the team mentality.

I'd let Reid, beavon and the dke boys go. Then add maybe 2 or 3. I'd definitely try and get stockley as a foil for mcnulty, he'd be immense.

SlowerThanPlatt

Just been looking at Championship released lists. Harry Tofollo was released by Millwall after not playing a game for them but has experience in League 1 with Swindon and Scunthorpe. 22 years old and could be realistic with our new HOR previously at Norwich the club he joined Millwall from

Grendel

That’s fans for you.

Truth is we have 3 others in that position and Stokes so one will probably go.

steve82

I like Mo Eisa from Cheltenham. He had a great season and looks like he could step up.

Cheltenham want 1.5 Million Otis, we might need more than a whip around to finance that one.

CCFCSteve

Agreed about Grimmer. He’s had to play like a wing back in a 442 formation yet never stops giving it a go even if he’s having a off day delivery wise. He’s a young lad and can still improve defensively

jordan210

How would someone like Armstrong partner McNulty

Andreu has managed to build a reputation based on mythology. He could be a great signing like McNulty or he could be the next Peter Vincenti - no one knows.

From what iv heard from inside the camp. Andreu is one of the best technical players some staff at Ryton have seen. If he is fully fit and gets a full pre season. we could have one of the best players in the league.

I hope they are right about him. Lets hope both him and Jones work on upper body strength as that was what Lameiras was missing.

wingy

Agreed about Grimmer. He’s had to play like a wing back in a 442 formation yet never stops giving it a go even if he’s having a off day delivery wise. He’s a young lad and can still improve defensively
True and as I said earlier somewhere I'm a fan of his ,he has worked tirelessly across the season and as its progressed been a significant outlet but less good defending ,it simply could be down to what changed ahead of him, part of the tightest defence until long into the season ?

Reactions: vow

steve82

Could accept Bayliss being sold in order to finance that.

Nah, he’s to similar to McNulty in some respects, you need a different type of player to compliment each other.

Plus you could build a very competitive squad on 1.5m getting 4/5 players in.

Sky Blue Pete

Defo need full backs.

Weak link for a while and Grimmer/Stokes and Haynes just not good enough footballers for league 1/future.

McDonald had a great start but tailed off, Vincenti lost his confidence then ninjured both surplus to requirements.

Jodi Jones & Andreau like new signings and could make massive contributions.

Other Glaring gaps are rapid wingers (as we ain’t got any) Ponticelli not a winger nor is Bayliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jones is though

Users who are viewing this thread