Supporters forum Tuesday 30th August (2 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

It was hard for anyone to get a word in with one person going off on one. Passionate but completely missing the point regarding what the call was about. However maybe I’ve got it wrong and the time Is for us to give a history of the club, why we are so big, why we should sign players etc etc etc

I really thought it was questions and follow up questions to the answers given

Maybe grendel and ksb are correct it’s pointless and what we need is regular club updates on questions received from fans through social media

I don’t know

It’s not your fault how it panned out Pete and of course it’s still worth doing. You might need to reach out and have a chat with the others before the next meeting/call though, so everyone is on the same page and is focused on key points…rather than rants

Hopefully the next one will be more fruitful….when youre asking if Boddy knew in advance that Wasps had agreed to hire out the ground for Friday night monster truck races and a bi-weekly farmers market

Sky Blue Pete

What's the structure of the forum? As it's something that I don't really have any knowledge on.

Are questions/responses open to all or are certain people designated as speakers and the rest who join simply listen in and perhaps send in questions through Teams chat for example?
Questions beforehand and the ccfc team answer them. Easier with face to face rather than teams and this one was on teams.
To be fair it’s mainly us or London supporters club that ask questions so tend to follow them up. Lots of quiet people so louder people jump in

Sky Blue Pete

It’s not your fault how it panned out Pete and of course it’s still worth doing. You might need to reach out and have a chat with the others before the next meeting/call though, so everyone is on the same page and is focused on key points…rather than rants

Hopefully the next one will be more fruitful….when youre asking if Boddy knew in advance that Wasps had agreed to hire out the ground for Friday night monster truck races and a bi-weekly farmers market
The executive box stuff was really interesting and I know from other conversations how good the stadium management and ccfc get on so wasn’t surprised.
That was another direct answer to a direct question. There is nothing in writing about a new pitch being laid but db hopes to have that conversation as soon as is possible

Sky Blue Pete

Who was that out of interest?
I won’t say and normally we ask the majority of questions so I’m happy some groups could think we are too big for our boots.
It’s more the principle. If I’d been face to face I would have said. Is there a question?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Questions beforehand and the ccfc team answer them. Easier with face to face rather than teams and this one was on teams.
To be fair it’s mainly us or London supporters club that ask questions so tend to follow them up. Lots of quiet people so louder people jump in

Wouldn't it not be better just to have designated speakers that actually have a coherent understanding of club operations or at the very least have some semblance of knowledge on finances/business, or at the very least a shred of common sense.

Otherwise surely you're just going to get fans like last night who chime in and take over. What was the chap last night even saying? Joy's taken the Hyam fee and used it for her next Harrods haul?

This is my fundamental issue with fan forums from the outside looking in. There's seemingly little structure in place and few people in attendance that actually have an understanding of what's being said to them and as such take it at face value rather than pursue a further line of questioning. It also gives a certain type of fan a platform to rant, taking away the true purpose of the meeting.

Sky Blue Pete

Wouldn't it not be better just to have designated speakers that actually have a coherent understanding of club operations or at the very least have some semblance of knowledge on finances/business, or at the very least a shred of common sense.

Otherwise surely you're just going to get fans like last night who chime in and take over. What was the chap last night even saying? Joy's taken the Hyam fee and used it for her next Harrods haul?

This is my fundamental issue with fan forums from the outside looking in. There's seemingly little structure in place and few people in attendance that actually have an understanding of what's being said to them and as such take it at face value rather than pursue a further line of questioning. It also gives a certain type of fan a platform to rant, taking away the true purpose of the meeting.
That’s the reason to put questions in beforehand. The clever part is managing the follow ups. As I say easier in person

No just their opinion on why ccfc have let us down and how db probably agrees as sisu don’t care and are taking money out the club. That kind of thing. Db is stubbornly fair and doesn’t prioritise the opinion or access of any person or group to his credit.

They can’t please all the people all the time but I fear they are currently pleasing none of the people.

As I’ve probably already said too much I’ll stop. It’s not so much accepting what’s said at face value it’s knowing what to push and what not to push, so you’ll see a long discussion on the barrier which is the best thing ever according to the club when we all know it causes more problems than it solves and if we keep getting good crowds we are a slip away from a serious incident with possible serious injury or worse. But we’ve said this and repeated it and the club and police repeat it keeps fans apart at the end of the game

We talked about supporters groups getting tickets
We talked about swearing in the corporate area
All really important

But didn’t push the new ground and investment answers due to lack of time

Some answers you put in your back pocket for another day some you challenge and then leave it. Where’s the sense in arguing over how many players have left with the ceo lol

Sometimes you just leave the ccfc answer to be put in the public domain and be ridiculed like Mr Fishers we can’t compete at this level or comments on the previous new stadium

I was really interested in whether ccfc felt they’d lost our trust when they’d said what the had about season tickets and mark Hornby to his credit read from the actual quote and it was quite different and for me the wording was worth discussion. Back the club and we’ll increase the money to mark was not said, was it implied? Well yes a little bit it was

And no home games and no wins sits heavy like a black cloud on everything as does the Hyam sale

But the follow up which wasn’t possible is do you expect 13000 next year? What are your plans for encouraging supporters to reinvest given the lack of progress.

You know what I mean, you’re not daft

Anyway pusb we need a win

KenilworthSkyBlue

That’s the reason to put questions in beforehand. The clever part is managing the follow ups. As I say easier in person

No just their opinion on why ccfc have let us down and how db probably agrees as sisu don’t care and are taking money out the club. That kind of thing. Db is stubbornly fair and doesn’t prioritise the opinion or access of any person or group to his credit.

They can’t please all the people all the time but I fear they are currently pleasing none of the people.

As I’ve probably already said too much I’ll stop. It’s not so much accepting what’s said at face value it’s knowing what to push and what not to push, so you’ll see a long discussion on the barrier which is the best thing ever according to the club when we all know it causes more problems than it solves and if we keep getting good crowds we are a slip away from a serious incident with possible serious injury or worse. But we’ve said this and repeated it and the club and police repeat it keeps fans apart at the end of the game

We talked about supporters groups getting tickets
We talked about swearing in the corporate area
All really important

But didn’t push the new ground and investment answers due to lack of time

Some answers you put in your back pocket for another day some you challenge and then leave it. Where’s the sense in arguing over how many players have left with the ceo lol

Sometimes you just leave the ccfc answer to be put in the public domain and be ridiculed like Mr Fishers we can’t compete at this level or comments on the previous new stadium

I was really interested in whether ccfc felt they’d lost our trust when they’d said what the had about season tickets and mark Hornby to his credit read from the actual quote and it was quite different and for me the wording was worth discussion. Back the club and we’ll increase the money to mark was not said, was it implied? Well yes a little bit it was

And no home games and no wins sits heavy like a black cloud on everything as does the Hyam sale

But the follow up which wasn’t possible is do you expect 13000 next year? What are your plans for encouraging supporters to reinvest given the lack of progress.

You know what I mean, you’re not daft

Anyway pusb we need a win

It's worrying that fundamental questions weren't tabled though. Granted I appreciate you can't be too forthright with the questioning but it seems nothing or little is flagged up if Boddy and his team come out with something untoward. Having designated speakers would mitigate this exponentially as it would at least make dialogue a bit more seamless and allow people to respond quickly and coherently if required.

It's disappointing that there are vital topics that could've been tabled yet seemingly most of the meeting was a complete waste of time, especially if little was discussed apart from a barrier, ticket distribution and a corporate swearing issue.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

It's worrying that fundamental questions weren't tabled though. Granted I appreciate you can't be too forthright with the questioning but it seems nothing or little is flagged up if Boddy and his team come out with something untoward. Having designated speakers would mitigate this exponentially as it would at least make dialogue a bit more seamless and allow people to respond quickly and coherently if required.

It's disappointing that there are vital topics that could've been tabled yet seemingly most of the meeting was a complete waste of time, especially if little was discussed apart from a barrier, ticket distribution and a corporate swearing issue.
All was covered as the notes will show. Teams is always a nightmare
I’m not being very clear sorry

usskyblue

roflcopter.gif

chiefdave

It's worrying that fundamental questions weren't tabled though.
This is always the problem, you only need one person the mix who is asking unimportant questions and they can derail the whole thing. Sure we all remember when the club was deep in the shit and people were asking about badges.

Reactions: AOM

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Can understand Petes frustration. But I suspect that such things can be to the advantage of people answering the questions when it suits.

Couple that with it being stage managed, pre submitted questions and announcements pre meeting.

Pete is on a hiding to nothing then gets battered by some here. Must feel like can't win at times.

shmmeee

The model in L2/L1 was built upon two key components: bring in players on a minimal outlay, develop and sell for profit, and to fast track talent from the academy/U23s into the first team to develop and sell.

The model in the Championship now doesn't really work firstly as due to the increase in standards, academy graduates are finding it increasingly more difficult to break through to the first team. We can't now rely on selling a Cian Harries or Bayliss to plug the gap if graduates aren't getting game time.

Secondly, as we remain in the division longer there is a hidden inflationary cost equated with being able to compete in the division in the medium term re. wages, operational costs and transfer fees. To a point, the longer we remain in the league the more costly it inevitably becomes. With commercial, ticketing and sponsorship revenue only scratching the surface when attempting to compete financially in this division, inevitably that has a baring on the amount of re-investment from sales made available to the management staff to use to bring in the next line of talent.

If that re-investment stops, or is significantly reduced, it makes it much more difficult for the management staff to be able to bring in players with potential sell-on value, rendering the entire 'model' essentially redundant. And that of course has a knock on effect as to cover operational costs a sizeable sale or multiple sales are needed in order to cover the shortfall each season. Which as you know this will be the club's foremost priority under the current operation.

I think as well just to add, the likelihood of the club getting a return on free agents is now incredibly unlikely due to the competitiveness of the market in this division. Any free agent in the EFL for instance who is half decent will likely go elsewhere due to us being unable to match wages/signing on fee offered by the best part of 90% of the league. Yes we signed O'Hare but that is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow. The free agents signed seemingly are Championship vets with zero, or very minimal, value.

I think the best source of talent for a club in our position is Prem cast offs, and abroad. If we were going to do it properly I’d expand the European scouting team and aim to pick up a couple of Hamers and Sheafs/Györkeres/O’Hares a season. Three ideally. If you need a sale every season you need to have enough potential to cover not just those that don’t work out but as we’ve seen injuries and simple lack of interest.

And you also have to be able to sell at peak value and not turn people down then call them back with a cut price offer because you pinned all your hopes on one player.

Seaside-Skyblue

Preston had a wealthy owner, can't remember his name but he passed away last year. He was regularly issuing new shares to himself to help pay the club's way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Trevor Hemmings. I understand his son has taken over the runnings since he sadly passed.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Balli001

I think the best source of talent for a club in our position is Prem cast offs, and abroad. If we were going to do it properly I’d expand the European scouting team and aim to pick up a couple of Hamers and Sheafs/Györkeres/O’Hares a season. Three ideally. If you need a sale every season you need to have enough potential to cover not just those that don’t work out but as we’ve seen injuries and simple lack of interest.

And you also have to be able to sell at peak value and not turn people down then call them back with a cut price offer because you pinned all your hopes on one player.
Problem with overseas is they have to qualify for a work permit. This is not as easy now

KenilworthSkyBlue

I've said for ages from a recruitment standpoint the two main targets the club should focus on are PL castoffs and PL loans as we seem to have relative success with minimal failure in both markets over the past couple of seasons. It's difficult trying to recruit from the EFL due to the competitiveness of the market from Championship rivals and the likely fees such players would demand. Funnily enough with minimal external investment it would vastly increase our chances of being able to recruit from this pool more aggressively but that's unfortunately never going to happen under the current operation.

The club will only be successful in breaking the European market if further investment goes into scouting and player sourcing, which I can't see ever happening to be frank. Otherwise it's utterly pointless pool to recruit from and the club will just continue picking up strange signings that really are never going to make the grade. Equally, due to the points system now in place following Brexit, I'd assume the market is now more difficult to recruit from as a good chunk of players from the lower divisions in Europe - leagues the club realistically would be actively sourcing players from - won't have the 15 points needed for the FA to grant a GBE. If we're going to be trying to bring in players from higher divisions again, more investment is obviously needed. It would probably be worth getting more insight from the club on their recruitment strategy moving forward really.

Indeed. I've said repeatedly throughout the summer when a player is sold it must be done early in the window. As otherwise like you said the club is finding itself in a position whereby it's panicking to push sales through at cut priced deals - something I was concerned might happen - as shown through the sale of Hyam.

Sky Blue Pete

I've said for ages from a recruitment standpoint the two main targets the club should focus on are PL castoffs and PL loans as we seem to have relative success with minimal failure in both markets over the past couple of seasons. It's difficult trying to recruit from the EFL due to the competitiveness of the market from Championship rivals and the likely fees such players would demand. Funnily enough with minimal external investment it would vastly increase our chances of being able to recruit from this pool more aggressively but that's unfortunately never going to happen under the current operation.

The club will only be successful in breaking the European market if further investment goes into scouting and player sourcing, which I can't see ever happening to be frank. Otherwise it's utterly pointless pool to recruit from and the club will just continue picking up strange signings that really are never going to make the grade. Equally, due to the points system now in place following Brexit, I'd assume the market is now more difficult to recruit from as a good chunk of players from the lower divisions in Europe - leagues the club realistically would be actively sourcing players from - won't have the 15 points needed for the FA to grant a GBE. If we're going to be trying to bring in players from higher divisions again, more investment is obviously needed. It would probably be worth getting more insight from the club on their recruitment strategy moving forward really.

Indeed. I've said repeatedly throughout the summer when a player is sold it must be done early in the window. As otherwise like you said the club is finding itself in a position whereby it's panicking to push sales through at cut priced deals - something I was concerned might happen - as shown through the sale of Hyam.
Not sure anyone accepts the premise of what people are suggesting happened with Hyam

slowpoke

How do you get in these clubs to be able to ask questions I’d love a go.

Sky Blue Pete

So it wasn’t a last minute panic sale against Robins wishes?
Should have been clearer obviously then notes will confirm but I asked specifically whether we accepted a lower bid after rejecting a higher bid earlier in the window as implied by Blackburn

DB didn’t think that was implied and it wasn’t the case

Also you know I didn’t think we missed Hyam last night rose and Doyle carried the ball forward much better. We don’t have cover and Hyam was part of a blackvurn defence that kept a clean sheet

Others may disagree but you can’t do more than that in these forums. If he’s wrong then he’s chipped at the trust and only he and other reps at both clubs know the truth and have agreed undisclosed wants the fee

shmmeee

Should have been clearer obviously then notes will confirm but I asked specifically whether we accepted a lower bid after rejecting a higher bid earlier in the window as implied by Blackburn

DB didn’t think that was implied and it wasn’t the case

Also you know I didn’t think we missed Hyam last night rose and Doyle carried the ball forward much better. We don’t have cover and Hyam was part of a blackvurn defence that kept a clean sheet

Others may disagree but you can’t do more than that in these forums. If he’s wrong then he’s chipped at the trust and only he and other reps at both clubs know the truth and have agreed undisclosed wants the fee

Was the story that we rejected a bid or that we said not for sale? I thought it was the latter.

Whatever happened the board have royally fucked up this transfer window.

Users who are viewing this thread