The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (96 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SIR ERNIE

There were more violent or abusive attacks after the Brexit campaign which indicates that some people do react to the general hysteria caused at least in part by the Brexit press.

That’s right, within Europe’s most tolerant country a wave of hate spewing racism was unleashed as a direct result of the Brexit vote. At least, according to the BBC and the grubby little Guardian.

In the interests of balance and perspective, here’s an alternative version:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/truth-behind-brexit-hate-crime-spike/

clint van damme

That’s right, within Europe’s most tolerant country a wave of hate spewing racism was unleashed as a direct result of the Brexit vote. At least, according to the BBC and the grubby little Guardian.

it's by Brendan O'Neil, he's a right wing WUM who thinks he's the voice of the working class. He wouldn't know a working class person if he tripped over one.

He believes in free speech for the right but not for the left, a bit like this week where we saw those who bang the drum for democracy going mental when said democracy didn't work in their favour.
You'll have to do better.

SIR ERNIE

it's by Brendan O'Neil, he's a right wing WUM who thinks he's the voice of the working class. He wouldn't know a working class person if he tripped over one.

He believes in free speech for the right but not for the left, a bit like this week where we saw those who bang the drum for democracy going mental when said democracy didn't work in their favour.

Ah, of course. Dismiss anything to the right of The Guardian.

Well done, you'll go far clint. Have a great day.

clint van damme

i follow Brendan O'Neill and read Spikedonline. Unlike you I don't just read publications/writers who only reinforce my own opinions.
There's a piece in todays Guardian by Nick Cohen slating the Labour leadership, but because of your narrow mindedness you would never come across it.
The only publications I avoid are ones with a proven track record of lying, sun. mail etc.
The news today about the threat from the extreme right would appear to contradict Brendan as well;

Far-Right on the rise warns Security Minister

skybluetony176

Is this the guy who said that the victims of Jimmy Savile should keep quiet?

martcov

Did these measures defining hate crimes take place on Brexit day? No, they were there before. Even if they are wrong, they were wrong before and after... which means a spike is a spike. If it was the day after a definition was changed maybe he would have a point, but it looks like an excuse to show people as snowflakes. The Spanish guy in Bournemouth hit on the head with a plank for speaking Spanish, or the family of the Pole kicked to death for being Polish would probably take offence at this whitewash.

martcov

A whitewash from the contributor. We are not the worst, but things have gone down a lot. Yes we are off Paki bashing, insulting „thick paddies“, tight Scots etc..... but some of us are on to annoying Eastern Europeans.

The BNP and EDL were wiped out by UKIP, as were the NF and British Movement when Thatcher got tougher on immigration and brought right wing conservatives into the mainstream. Britain First is alive and well. A lot of nasties are very happy with the leave vote and hoping maybe that there will be less Muslim immigration as a result of the general right wing trend. Some people rejoice at the success of the right in Europe and hope the time has come for them and their views.

It hasn’t. The cracks are appearing already. People can see what is happening in the US, and with Brexit, and that awakening will spread to mainland Europe. The lies are being exposed.

skybluetony176

A whitewash from the contributor. We are not the worst, but things have gone down a lot. Yes we are off Paki bashing, insulting „thick paddies“, tight Scots etc..... but some of us are on to annoying Eastern Europeans.

The BNP and EDL were wiped out by UKIP, as were the NF and British Movement when Thatcher got tougher on immigration and brought right wing conservatives into the mainstream. Britain First is alive and well. A lot of nasties are very happy with the leave vote and hoping maybe that there will be less Muslim immigration as a result of the general right wing trend. Some people rejoice at the success of the right in Europe and hope the time has come for them and their views.

It hasn’t. The cracks are appearing already. People can see what is happening in the US, and with Brexit, and that awakening will spread to mainland Europe. The lies are being exposed.

Ah. Britain First. Born out of the ashes of the BNP and one of the figureheads is the granddaughter of a European immigrant. Think I read somewhere that Nick Griffin has also settled in the EU somewhere. Irony city amongst that lot.

martcov

Ah. Britain First. Born out of the ashes of the BNP and one of the figureheads is the granddaughter of a European immigrant. Think I read somewhere that Nick Griffin has also settled in the EU somewhere. Irony city amongst that lot.

I thought he wanted to gho to Hungary because it is the most right wing country in the EU. Poland is catching up now though.

skybluetony176

it always amazes me how middle aged white men know exactly how to handle sexual abuse, racism, misogyny though the vast majority haven't experienced any of them.

People like this are dangerous. To ask the question “who benefits from victims coming forward” is worrying. The true question is who benefits from them keeping quiet? The answer is perpetrators. The brave victims of Savile who came forward have empowered over victims to come forward and perpetrators still at large to be brought to justice. Anyone who sees it any other way really isn’t worth listening to. They have their head and arse screwed on the wrong way around.

Astute

In a true democracy you can change your mind if things are not working out as expected. Especially if you were misled.
So the Tory MP's can be called in if there is a decent offer given so it doesn't fo to a parliamentary vote?

Not at all.

If you stand up for democracy you stand up for the result for a vote. You don't change your mind about democracy depending on what your personal views are.

skybluetony176

So the Tory MP's can be called in if there is a decent offer given so it doesn't fo to a parliamentary vote?

Not at all.

If you stand up for democracy you stand up for the result for a vote. You don't change your mind about democracy depending on what your personal views are.

So using your logic we shouldn’t have had the referendum because we’d already voted to join and changing your mind is undemocratic. Again using your logic we should ignore the result of the leave referendum because if you believe in democracy we’re not allowed to change our mind. Using your logic that is.

martcov

Not at all.

I stand up for democracy and that means letting the people change their minds, as in a parliamentary democracy. You know, the one that lets you vote out the government if they have misled you or if things are not going well. You don’t vote Tory for eternity and the present government will be voted out if this mess continues.

Astute

So using your logic we shouldn’t have had the referendum because we’d already voted to join and changing your mind is undemocratic. Again using your logic we should ignore the result of the leave referendum because if you believe in democracy we’re not allowed to change our mind. Using your logic that is.
Not logic. Well not my logic anyway.

Just ask Mart. If it is the resulthe wants it is democracy. If it isn't the result he wants it is too close to be democratic.

Astute

I stand up for democracy and that means letting the people change their minds, as in a parliamentary democracy. You know, the one that lets you vote out the government if they have misled you or if things are not going well. You don’t vote Tory for eternity and the present government will be voted out if this mess continues.
So would you say it is OK for parliament to change their minds?

skybluetony176

Not logic. Well not my logic anyway.

Just ask Mart. If it is the resulthe wants it is democracy. If it isn't the result he wants it is too close to be democratic.

Hey you’re the one saying that we’re not allowed to change our mind so on your say so we’d better remain and ignore the referendum. Mart is saying we’re allowed to change our mind, no point blaming him.

Astute

Hey you’re the one saying that we’re not allowed to change our mind so on your say so we’d better remain and ignore the referendum. Mart is saying we’re allowed to change our mind, no point blaming him.
Am I?

No. Just twisting of words as usual.

Grendel

Yes. Like they did about ID cards. I was for ID cards and millions were spent preparing for them, but the Tories cancelled them.

Good. Anyone who values freedom of liberty is against them.

Grendel

In the country with the most CCTV cameras in the world? Hahaha!

Do you favour them? They are very much preferred by the right wing of society - so do you?

Sick Boy

Do you favour them? They are very much preferred by the right wing of society - so do you?

I have no opinion either way. I've had one Italy and it wasn't really a massive deal.

Are you opposed to CCTV? The government's Snoopers' Charter? The latter is arguably much more intrusive.

martcov

Good. Anyone who values freedom of liberty is against them.

Some on here are scared of asylum seekers, want more border controls and think people should be vetted as refugees, but to suggest people can be identified more easily thus enabling these controls is against freedom and liberty. It would also make benefit abuse harder. I am for ID cards and the sooner I get my citizenship the better. Then I will carry it everywhere in my wallet. Sounds hypocritical to be in the leave/ control camp and not be able to know who is who.

Grendel

I have no opinion either way. I've had one Italy and it wasn't really a massive deal.

Are you opposed to CCTV? The government's Snoopers' Charter? The latter is arguably much more intrusive.

It isn’t. Identity cards give governments powers to restrict movement and can allow state control over individuals. CCTV most definitely cannot.

Given you describe yourself as liberal by nature your apparent apathy to this subject is a direct contradiction to your claimed ideology.

Grendel

Some on here are scared of asylum seekers, want more border controls and think people should be vetted as refugees, but to suggest people can be identified more easily thus enabling these controls is against freedom and liberty. It would also make benefit abuse harder. I am for ID cards and the sooner I get my citizenship the better. Then I will carry it everywhere in my wallet. Sounds hypocritical to be in the leave/ control camp and not be able to know who is who.

Spoken like a true right wing federalist - which is what you are.

Users who are viewing this thread