The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (11 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sick Boy

Is it true that the plan is to have a 'free flowing border'? That certainly sounds like taking back control and there will be no illegal migration.

skybluetony176

Is it true that the plan is to have a 'free flowing border'? That certainly sounds like taking back control and there will be no illegal migration.

I think the “plan” is to keep repeating the same empty sound bite in the hope that a solution somehow miraculously appears like magic. Either that or do a Boris and throw enough shit until something sticks.

martcov

Grayling said we won’t be checking all lorries in Dover either as that would be impossible. Free flowing borders all round then. Why are we going ahead with Brexit then?

wingy

We used to have fill in a Carnier every time we went to the continent to fullfil a contract prior to the present set up.
It had to cover every component and tool on board the truck.
We were always stopped and searched /checked .
It occassionally happens now on return tries,for smuggling reasons I guess .
At worst I'd say it cost us half an hour to forty minutes so not too bad on the individual one off basis of our transit .
Multiply it over a fleet or a days worth of vehicles I have no Idea of the effect.
I'm confident the paperwork can be emailed in advance easy enough and there are scanners for human detection etc.
It shouldn't be beyond the wit to further that technology really .
But without the fear of a stop smuggling could be rife and something can always get through even with a checked routine If you know how to conceal it.

martcov

We used to have fill in a Carnier every time we went to the continent to fullfil a contract prior to the present set up.
It had to cover every component and tool on board the truck.
We were always stopped and searched /checked .
It occassionally happens now on return tries,for smuggling reasons I guess .
At worst I'd say it cost us half an hour to forty minutes so not too bad on the individual one off basis of our transit .
Multiply it over a fleet or a days worth of vehicles I have no Idea of the effect.
I'm confident the paperwork can be emailed in advance easy enough and there are scanners for human detection etc.
It shouldn't be beyond the wit to further that technology really .
But without the fear of a stop smuggling could be rife and something can always get through even with a checked routine If you know how to conceal it.

Yes. I remember the Carnet de Passage. Long lists of all the parts of an exhibition stand and beer equipment in my case. Had to stop at the border and get it stamped in and then again stamped „out“ on the way back. You could be stopped to see if you were smuggling or if you had less goods coming out than going in. Not only do you risk being stopped and potentially queuing at the UK/ EU border, but you have to be indemnified in case you break the rules and are caught. We had to have the Carnet indemnified to a large sum by the Chamber of Commerce ( Munich in our case ). This involves extra costs and paperwork. More unnecessary bureaucracy and red tape. Thanks Brexiteers.

clint van damme

Yes. I remember the Carnet de Passage. Long lists of all the parts of an exhibition stand and beer equipment in my case. Had to stop at the border and get it stamped in and then again stamped „out“ on the way back. You could be stopped to see if you were smuggling or if you had less goods coming out than going in. Not only do you risk being stopped and potentially queuing at the UK/ EU border, but you have to be indemnified in case you break the rules and are caught. We had to have the Carnet indemnified to a large sum by the Chamber of Commerce ( Munich in our case ). This involves extra costs and paperwork. More unnecessary bureaucracy and red tape. Thanks Brexiteers.

on QT the other night Chris Grayling said something to the effect of the border control at Dover will keep traffic flowing by not checking vehicles post Brexit so it may not be as bad as you think.
Great news for smugglers and people traffickers though I'm not sure how it equates taking back control of our borders.

Grayling: No Brexit lorry checks at Dover

skybluetony176

Local chambers in the U.K. charge around £65 a time for anything that they indemnify in my experience whether that be a C of O, invoice, packing list, third party inspection certificate etc. Where it can get expensive is if full certification from the local embassy of the country of destination is required. This cost can vary wildly and there’s no standard across the world that everyone follows. Some embassies have a flat fee, typically over £100 pound per document (sometimes more than one copy of each document is required, most commonly 3 although sometimes as many as six depending on rules at the destination) and some embassies work on a percentage of the invoice value although always have a minimum cost.

Doing away with all this has been great value to British businesses trading in the EU. Still at least the EU are bowing down to our every demand in the easiest negotiations in the history of the world as accurately predicted by the leave campaign so I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.

martcov

Local chambers in the U.K. charge around £65 a time for anything that they indemnify in my experience whether that be a C of O, invoice, packing list, third party inspection certificate etc. Where it can get expensive is if full certification from the local embassy of the country of destination is required. This cost can vary wildly and there’s no standard across the world that everyone follows. Some embassies have a flat fee, typically over £100 pound per document (sometimes more than one copy of each document is required, most commonly 3 although sometimes as many as six depending on rules at the destination) and some embassies work on a percentage of the invoice value although always have a minimum cost.

Doing away with all this has been great value to British businesses trading in the EU. Still at least the EU are bowing down to our every demand in the easiest negotiations in the history of the world as accurately predicted by the leave campaign so I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.

If we are now saying we will not make checks, there is no guarantee that the EU won’t insist on spot checks on the other side. Also what about WTO border rules? This looks like being a similar debate to the the Irish border. Trade has grown massively since the introduction of the single market, and populations have also grown. Any paperwork problems, even if the promised, but as yet non existent software should arrive, will be far more than in the 80s. It will be easier and cheaper for EU countries to trade in Europe amongst themselves than with the UK. Still we will do more with Chile and Australia... maybe.

skybluetony176

on QT the other night Chris Grayling said something to the effect of the border control at Dover will keep traffic flowing by not checking vehicles post Brexit so it may not be as bad as you think.
Great news for smugglers and people traffickers though I'm not sure how it equates taking back control of our borders.

Grayling: No Brexit lorry checks at Dover
Makes a bit of a mockery of the let’s take back control line. He also refers to container ports on the east coast as an example of free flowing goods moving into the country from around the world without hold ups. Not sure when the last time Chris Grayling imported a container into the U.K. was but the company I work for do around six a year from Asia and I handle the paperwork in conjunction with the U.K. agent for the shipping line and I’m yet to see one be debunked and cleared for road transportation in less than 3 days so I’m going to call bollocks on his claim. We allow a week from the day it docks to we receive it at our door as an average, you usually get 5 days grace at port before storage charges start being accrued (can vary between shipping lines and handlers) and if customs pulls your container for a full inspection it will be anything up to 2 weeks from docking until you see your container and you will incur storage costs for the privilege as well.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

Positive news today. There has been give from both sides and border issue in NI looks positive also.

Been a good week or two for Mrs May and I’m no fan but credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Positive news today. There has been five from both sides and border issue in NI looks positive also.

Been a good week or two for Mrs May and I’m no fan but credit where credit is due.

The border issue is the big one to crack but as they've made progress in other areas hopefully they can come up with something that's acceptable to everyone.

torchomatic

Brilliant, isn't it? Not only do we still pay for the great time Baby Boomers have had in the past, current stuff like their free bus passes, but we (and our kids) will be paying for their decision until 2064. Still, I'm sure saying "we have our sovereignty" is worth all the pain.

wingy

Brilliant, isn't it? Not only do we still pay for the great time Baby Boomers have had in the past, current stuff like their free bus passes, but we (and our kids) will be paying for their decision until 2064. Still, I'm sure saying "we have our sovereignty" is worth all the pain.
2064?:$

skybluetony176

The border issue is the big one to crack but as they've made progress in other areas hopefully they can come up with something that's acceptable to everyone.
I don’t know. From what I’ve read what’s been agreed sounds very much like the border has moved to the Irish channel again and we’ve already learned that the governments friends in the North won’t accept that. I guess that the devil is in the details so we’ll have to see but as the deal has to be voted for through Parliament this might not happen yet.

Astute

Still pay for them?

So they paid into the system for 50 years. They paid for the infrastructure we enjoy. They paid for what we were born into. Yet us younger ones have paid for them?

Astute

This thread never changes.

'We don't know what the deal will be but we will be paying for the deal for nearly 50 years'

The Office for Budget Responsibility said Britain’s bill would be a total of £16.4bn in 2019 and 2020, as it continued to pay into EU budgets “as if it had remained in the EU”.

After that, outstanding commitments would total £18.2bn between 2021 and 2028 – including around £7.5bn in 2021 alone.

So for 2 years it will be the same £16.4 billion as we pay now and then just another £18.2 billion.

So if it would take us 45 years to pay for it how can we afford to pay that much every 3 years?

Sick Boy

The treasury will be happy now that the booze cruise will come to an end!

I feel for those of you who didn't vote for this and will lose their EU citizenship.

torchomatic

Still pay for them?

So they paid into the system for 50 years. They paid for the infrastructure we enjoy. They paid for what we were born into. Yet us younger ones have paid for them?

Low cost housing, near full employment, free university education....my heart bleeds....the majority of them voted to leave - as my Dad did - and we will be paying for their decision for decades.

Grendel

Low cost housing, near full employment, free university education....my heart bleeds....the majority of them voted to leave - as my Dad did - and we will be paying for their decision for decades.

The interest rate for housing was 16% when I had a first mortgage, free university education only as people with an actual brain went and 75% were not allowed to, 3 million unemployed when I left university so yes it was a doddle.

Astute

I thought you was old enough to remember the 80's. High unemployment. Very high interest rates.

The difference now is most people want what they can't afford. So they get into debt. And now we are overcrowded we don't have enough homes so values are high. Is that the fault of those of an older generation? Will it be your fault if the generation after you are worse off?

fernandopartridge

I thought you was old enough to remember the 80's. High unemployment. Very high interest rates.

The difference now is most people want what they can't afford. So they get into debt. And now we are overcrowded we don't have enough homes so values are high. Is that the fault of those of an older generation? Will it be your fault if the generation after you are worse off?

Yes it is. The older generation has been in charge of the country for many years. It has overseen the reduction of affordable housing and the massive increase of credit (started by Maggie in the 80s). The older generation is still mostly in charge and now sees maintaining paper wealth through house prices as more important than helping the real economy through providing affordable housing.

Brighton Sky Blue

Let's see what we have the previous generation to thank for:

Crashing the global economy
Unfettered environmental change
A list of costly military interventions in parts of the world which have nothing to do with us
Introducing tuition fees once all their generation had a chance to go free of charge
A Brexit referendum for which the government prepared only one answer

Yes it's all our fault that we're the first generation to be worse off than the ones before. Good job we'll be in charge of Grendel's pension fund though.

Astute

Yes it is. The older generation has been in charge of the country for many years. It has overseen the reduction of affordable housing and the massive increase of credit (started by Maggie in the 80s). The older generation is still mostly in charge and now sees maintaining paper wealth through house prices as more important than helping the real economy through providing affordable housing.
But some try to blame all of the older generation for what has happened. But the normal everyday person has had nothing to do with it. Ues a lot of them own a home that has gone up at a fast rate. But what benefit do most of them get? Most will be left to the younger generation when they die. But it isn't just the UK. Yes a lot of them got good final salary pensions. But I thought we were supposed to blame Gordon Brown for their demise.

Affordable housing? If our population hadn't exploded by many millions the problem wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as it is.

Astute

Let's see what we have the previous generation to thank for:

Crashing the global economy
Unfettered environmental change
A list of costly military interventions in parts of the world which have nothing to do with us
Introducing tuition fees once all their generation had a chance to go free of charge
A Brexit referendum for which the government prepared only one answer

Yes it's all our fault that we're the first generation to be worse off than the ones before. Good job we'll be in charge of Grendel's pension fund though.
As I said it isn't the normal man on the street that is to blame. Both the Tories and Labour governments are to blame.

Astute

It will be 80 by the time it's paid off, I'm not sure my generation are going to go along with that in the long-term.
But it is only 3 years payments to the EU that we presently make. I thought it was supposed to be a small amount. But because someone says maybe..........

Captain Dart

Absolutely no way you can predict anything that far into the future.

I think this country was still paying for WWII up to a decade ago.
Britain to make its final payment on World War II loan from U.S. - Business - International Herald Tribune

Money isn't everything.

Astute

Absolutely no way you can predict anything that far into the future.

I think this country was still paying for WWII up to a decade ago.
Britain to make its final payment on World War II loan from U.S. - Business - International Herald Tribune

Money isn't everything.
I agree other than money isn't everything. Everything happens because of money. If oil ever loses it's value because of progress there will be much less war. Countries wouldn't be in a debt that they can never pay off. Money is evil. But we need it in a modern society.

skybluetony176

'Little price impact' from axing EU tariffs

Probably commissioned and written by some nanby pamby loonie left wing remoaner but I thought I’d share it in the interest of debate. Basically saying that the benefits to the consumer are outweighed by the losses and the benefits won’t recoup what we’ve already lost since voting leave. Who’d have thought hey.

Users who are viewing this thread