The not so impossible mission (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I think things are definitely improving ............ no sometimes it isnt pretty or even very good .......... but we are winning games more often and that has to be good. The more we win the more confident the players will be......... but equally there seems to me to be a growing expectation amongst the fans that we can go into games with a realistic chance of at least 1 point or that 3 points is not unreasonable to expect (it used to be unreasonable all too often).

MR has changed the ethos of the club to some degree (still ways to go yet) from a nice place to have a kick around to a more professional place of work. The players may not be performing to their best but they are working, do understand the formation, know the standards their manager expects and are growing into a team.

Will we make play offs etc ......... personally i think it is too soon to tell so i am not expecting it to happen. We are 10 points behind the 6th team who have a game in hand, It doesnt look much but if those top six match our points tally till Xmas we will still be 10 points behind but with half the games played. Of course it can be done, but right now i am just relaxing in the knowledge that we seem to have a team that doesnt get beat anything like as often as it used to ..... a team that is heading upwards finally with a growing confidence ..... and a manager that knows how to mould a team and get results.

I think if you look at what was there to begin the season and what is there now there are significant and important differences. The team is more cohesive, there is a better blend and balance, the players understand the system and can play it, ok sometimes it isnt quality but we get results, fullbacks are starting to get forward, there have been 12 scorers this season already, we have a target man in form which gives us a chance and keeps some pressure off the defence, the team is younger with growing energy (ok not as young as last season that was too young but younger than what AT had in mind for this season), we keep a tighter more solid shape better organised, there is only one man in charge and he appears to know his job (ie getting results). Wins breed confidence and for once the future looks far more positive. Long way to go and a lot to change but yes far more positive

still not convinced we will make playoffs this season.......... but if we dont I think i could almost bank on us going up automatically next season.

carefull OSB, posters will be doubting your football knowledge soon,dont you know its a relegation battle this year? lmao

ohitsaidwalker king power

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

Somebody scoffed: “Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one ever has done it;”
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure,
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.

Edgar Guest​

pipkin73

Cough, Cough. Been saying for ages but ignorned that we could make up the difference provided Robins and McGoldrick stayed together. Think i've been proved right. Now, it seems to complete mission impossable we need Clarke to hit the ground running to replace Mcgoldrick, or do we!! At the start i would say McGoldrick gave us a kick start, but we are now scoring goals from all over the pitch, so as long as we keep a scorer up top we should be ok. The other players have now learnt how to score so as long as mentaly they don't switch off i see no reason why we can't cary this run on.

ps1948

It's never ever happened in 30 years for a club to come from 4th from bottom to 6th place after 15 games. it wouldn't be an amazing turnaround. it would be a goddamn miracle.

Some questions need addressing here. This paints the true picture and I don't think anyone could argue with this.

1. Have we looked a good side at all this season? (and I am not talking about the odd spell in a game here) - NO

2. Do we score enough goals? - NO (5th worse side in the division)

3. Is the defence solid enough? NO (6th worse defence in the division)

4. Have we dominated any team this season? (apart from that first 45 mins against Bury) - NO

5. Have we any history at all of an sustained good run in the last 10 years (won 6 in a row, unbeaten in 12, that sort of thing) - NO

6. Have we shown any consistency at all as a side in the last 10 years? - NO

7. Is there enough pace in the team? - NO

8. Do we more often than not get outpaced by opposition teams and caught on the break? - YES

9. Have we curtailed this tendency to lose points from winning positions? - NO

10. Have we known any success whatsoever in the last 20 years? - NO

This is a club that has been in terminal decline for over 10 years, has shown no consistency whatsoever, has no money, has had no success, has only won 3 games out of 15 this campaign, has a manager who has said it is going to take time, has a manager who says many things are wrong at this club that he needs to put right ...... yet some still seem to feel we can do something no other club has ever done in the last 30 years and put in this superhuman effort unknown to mankind, with us almost certainly having to win about 15 out of 31 games and only being able to lose just about 3 more games all season.

It is delusional. It truly is.

We have shown nothing to suggest we even begin to do this. Nothing.

The only team who has ever got close is Southampton (7 points adrift come the end of the season). But they were in a false position. They were only in the bottom 4 because of a 10 point deduction.

So after 15 games, although in the bottom 4 they had already won 5 of their first 15 games and drawn a further 7, losing just 3! We've already lost 7 games this season after 15 games.

That season Southampton received a massive cash injection due to a takeover. Southampton spent £3m on players that season. Much more than any other club. And they still finished short of 6th place. And in doing that they won 4 games in a row on 3 occasions.

That shows what task lies ahead. As I say, not just a massive, massive ask, but a bloody miracle!

:(

What is your considered opinion now Otis? Is it still truly delusional?
Perhaps you could ask the top 9 questions again.......

nuggetboy

How funny is this....

Originally Posted by Otis
It's never ever happened in 30 years for a club to come from 4th from bottom to 6th place after 15 games. it wouldn't be an amazing turnaround. it would be a goddamn miracle.

Some questions need addressing here. This paints the true picture and I don't think anyone could argue with this.

1. Have we looked a good side at all this season? (and I am not talking about the odd spell in a game here) - NO

2. Do we score enough goals? - NO (5th worse side in the division)

3. Is the defence solid enough? NO (6th worse defence in the division)

4. Have we dominated any team this season? (apart from that first 45 mins against Bury) - NO

5. Have we any history at all of an sustained good run in the last 10 years (won 6 in a row, unbeaten in 12, that sort of thing) - NO

6. Have we shown any consistency at all as a side in the last 10 years? - NO

7. Is there enough pace in the team? - NO

8. Do we more often than not get outpaced by opposition teams and caught on the break? - YES

9. Have we curtailed this tendency to lose points from winning positions? - NO

10. Have we known any success whatsoever in the last 20 years? - NO

This is a club that has been in terminal decline for over 10 years, has shown no consistency whatsoever, has no money, has had no success, has only won 3 games out of 15 this campaign, has a manager who has said it is going to take time, has a manager who says many things are wrong at this club that he needs to put right ...... yet some still seem to feel we can do something no other club has ever done in the last 30 years and put in this superhuman effort unknown to mankind, with us almost certainly having to win about 15 out of 31 games and only being able to lose just about 3 more games all season.

It is delusional. It truly is.

We have shown nothing to suggest we even begin to do this. Nothing.

The only team who has ever got close is Southampton (7 points adrift come the end of the season). But they were in a false position. They were only in the bottom 4 because of a 10 point deduction.

So after 15 games, although in the bottom 4 they had already won 5 of their first 15 games and drawn a further 7, losing just 3! We've already lost 7 games this season after 15 games.

That season Southampton received a massive cash injection due to a takeover. Southampton spent £3m on players that season. Much more than any other club. And they still finished short of 6th place. And in doing that they won 4 games in a row on 3 occasions.

That shows what task lies ahead. As I say, not just a massive, massive ask, but a bloody miracle!

:claping hands:

Astute

I enjoyed reading that again. How about you Optimistic Otis? :D

hill83

Bit unfair really, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and at the time Otis' points were valid.
Like I said before, I could bump a thread where I was saying McGoldrick would be a good signing, and others were saying he was a waste of time etc.

Glad Otis appears to be being proven wrong though!

BurbageSkyBlues

Everything that Otis said, was perfectly logical.

But when did logic have the upper hand in football

I would think that Otis is as pleased as everyone else, that we are going so well. Lets hope we can keep it up.....

17 more wins to go.......

Users who are viewing this thread