The official NFL Thread (10 Viewers)

rob9872

Seen everyone since 1987. They do know how to put on a spectacle. FA cup comparison is a sad one. Clubs have devalued it and TV lost interest. Used to be an all day show on the TV when I was a kid. It was a massive day particularly as there was so little other live football on the telly.
Yep. Champions League and money have killed it, devalued ever since United forfeited for the club world cup too. I love the fact that the USA don't care its a closed shop and name the winner as 'World Champions', the FA Cup could've done the same as it was watched everywhere, yet I could barely name the past few finals and knew them all in the 80s.

wingy

Yep. Champions League and money have killed it, devalued ever since United forfeited for the club world cup too. I love the fact that the USA don't care its a closed shop and name the winner as 'World Champions', the FA Cup could've done the same as it was watched everywhere, yet I could barely name the past few finals and knew them all in the 80s.
What year was that and who's watch?

Otis

Just catching up on this thread. I've watched probably 30 superbowls and supported Miami since the mid 80s, I think some of you are genuinely missing out. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan and I didn't know a single Usher song or who was with him, but embrace it all. From the coin toss, the anthem, everything. In fact I'm jealous of what our now diluted FA Cup Final could have been. Love the whole spectacle, nobody does it like the USA and only wish I could afford to go to one.
Maybe, but I have had hardly and interest in the artists they have on at halftime. Have a band on or artist I would like and I watch it .

I had heard of Usher, but had no idea of any song he has ever done. Guessed at RnB and did a quick Google and gave it a miss.

Just the fans for me.

Just out of interest, do you like WWF etc?

rob9872

Maybe, but I have had hardly and interest in the artists they have on at halftime. Have a band on or artist I would like and I watch it .

I had heard of Usher, but had no idea of any song he has ever done. Guessed at RnB and did a quick Google and gave it a miss.

Just the fans for me.

Just out of interest, do you like WWF etc?
Nope and I get the comparison with the accompanying 'show', but for me it's not sport.

I love boxing and whilst fighters have always trash talked to sell tickets, that has grown further with all the build ups, the walk on is also now huge and even the darts has gone colourful with big walk ons in the name of entertainment. It certainly makes that more watchable (although the darts crowd are generally nauseating). I guess with the Superbowl I've always had it , so perhaps more conditioned too.

On the HT show I didn't think I knew any Rihanna songs (last year or previous one), turns out I did but didn't know they were hers and loved it!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Terrible about the shooting at the parade.

But is there anything more American than a mass-shooting at a Superbowl parade?

tisza

So Broncos release Wilson at a massive cost. Took a disruptive QB off the Seahawk's hands for a load of good draft picks and players. Now going to eat a ton of dead money that willresult in other big earners/good players having to be released/traded. Always looked a bad deal for a QB who was already regressing and a history of disruptive behaviour. PLease Vikings don't take him!!!!!!!

CCFCSteve

So Broncos release Wilson at a massive cost. Took a disruptive QB off the Seahawk's hands for a load of good draft picks and players. Now going to eat a ton of dead money that willresult in other big earners/good players having to be released/traded. Always looked a bad deal for a QB who was already regressing and a history of disruptive behaviour. PLease Vikings don't take him!!!!!!!

Cousins not going to re- sign ?

Terry Gibson's perm

Wilson to the Raiders I think they are mad enough to take him and probably pay him way above what his ability warrants.

tisza

Cousins not going to re- sign ?
We won't give him a fully guaranteed contract and he's never really "co-operated" in terms of releasing funds against the cap. Always been about the money first. Can't see how they can give a fully guaranteed 3 year contract to a 36 year old who's coming off a serious injury. Plus we have other issues - Jefferson is going to get paid massive (although if we've not got a top QB for next few years that's probably money down the drain), Darrisaw needs paying, Hunter will be expensive if he stays(no passrush atm without him) plus a few others need paying.Personally I'm against paying elite QB money for someone who doesn't have it in them to win big games - been with us 6 seasons & only got to playoffs twice (1-3 record there).

CCFCSteve

We won't give him a fully guaranteed contract and he's never really "co-operated" in terms of releasing funds against the cap. Always been about the money first. Can't see how they can give a fully guaranteed 3 year contract to a 36 year old who's coming off a serious injury. Plus we have other issues - Jefferson is going to get paid massive (although if we've not got a top QB for next few years that's probably money down the drain), Darrisaw needs paying, Hunter will be expensive if he stays(no passrush atm without him) plus a few others need paying.Personally I'm against paying elite QB money for someone who doesn't have it in them to win big games - been with us 6 seasons & only got to playoffs twice (1-3 record there).

Agree, I just can’t see anyone giving cousins that though. Still wouldn’t be surprised if he stays after seeing what market has to offer. Jefferson is going to be expensive !

Hiraeth

Personally I'm against paying elite QB money for someone who doesn't have it in them to win big games - been with us 6 seasons & only got to playoffs twice (1-3 record there).
That's mad to think that Case Keenum has the same number of playoff wins in one season as Cousins has in six.

tisza

Agree, I just can’t see anyone giving cousins that though. Still wouldn’t be surprised if he stays after seeing what market has to offer. Jefferson is going to be expensive !
Think the Falcons would pay him. Apparently 3 others in the mix.

tisza

That's mad to think that Case Keenum has the same number of playoff wins in one season as Cousins has in six.
We had keenum in 2017. Had to step in after Sam Bradford went down early (had been good replacing the injured Teddy Bridgewater). Not a great arm but could extend plays. Had two great receivers -thielen and it was Diggs breakout year (Minneapolis miracle) plus Dalvin Cook rookie year. Didn't have to score many points as we had an outstanding Zimmer defense that season. Got completely outcoached in Championship game against the Eagles.

Liquid Gold

Anybody willing to give Cousins a bumper fully guaranteed contract need their heads testing.

Bloke cannot push a team on to the next level. He'll clog up your cap space and keep you at a reasonable enough level to never have a decent enough pick for a quality rookie QB.

tisza

Anybody willing to give Cousins a bumper fully guaranteed contract need their heads testing.

Bloke cannot push a team on to the next level. He'll clog up your cap space and keep you at a reasonable enough level to never have a decent enough pick for a quality rookie QB.
exactly right. I think it's just 2 seasons with over 50% wins, until 2 seasons ago his comeback win record was appalling - think it was just 8 in first 4 seasons (new HC and Jefferson helped have 8 in 2022/23). Vikings's problems are mediocre, unambitious owners whoare satisified with not having losing seasons. Mike Zimmer never wanted him for all the reasons you said.
Kirk's contract exension led to the dismantling of years of good defenses as couldn't pay them.
Think this is our highest draft pick since he's been here (11th) so it'll be expensive if they decide they have to trade up to 2 or 3.
Said on here when Kirk got extended I didn't like it and it was a short-term fix. Vikings should have tanked after he went down last season.
It's all about the money - never pretended to be a team leader until just before last extension was due. Offer him a Superbowl or a few million dollars more and he'll take the money (despite having earnedin excess of 200m in his career).
Hopefully a week today brings it to an end and Vikings start planning for the future (even if it means struggling this season)

Hiraeth

Had two great receivers -thielen and it was Diggs breakout year (Minneapolis miracle) plus Dalvin Cook rookie year.
Even as a neutral, the Minneapolis Miracle was one of my favourite moments in the NFL for sheer what the hell just happened there

CCFCSteve

For anyone who supports a team that’s in the mix for a QB in the draft (or just a nfl geek) this is a great listen. Some ballsy calls which go against the grain but well worth a listen

Liquid Gold

For those with Apple TV+ documentary series on atm called the dynasty following Brady and belichick era patriots.

very no hold barred and all access with the key players having their say. Good watch.

tisza

Just seen you’re planning on signing Darnold. Might be a decent punt for $10m

Id imagine cousins will do well at falcons if he stays fit. I thought they’d go for fields though
Paid massive money to win weakest division. Bidding against themselves - vikings were offering a max of 2 years. Plenty of young offensive talent at Falcons. But still noone knows how Cousins will come back after a serious industry.

Darnold a bridge QB - will draft one either by moving up or moving down to take someone like Nix or Pennix.
Vikings already spending the Cousins money on some nice defensive players. Come next season they'll have a proper amount of cap space for the first time since Cousins arrived.

CCFCSteve

Paid massive money to win weakest division. Bidding against themselves - vikings were offering a max of 2 years. Plenty of young offensive talent at Falcons. But still noone knows how Cousins will come back after a serious industry.

Darnold a bridge QB - will draft one either by moving up or moving down to take someone like Nix or Pennix.
Vikings already spending the Cousins money on some nice defensive players. Come next season they'll have a proper amount of cap space for the first time since Cousins arrived.

Not sure if correct but saw this 😳….

C5CAFD87-1788-40CF-9F11-163ACA7AC00E.jpeg

tisza

View attachment 34531
2nd highest paid player in NFL history after Rodgers. No-one is franchise -tagging a QB twice again in NFL. (Washington 2016 & 2017)
Once Vikings fully guaranteed that first contract in 2018 he had them over a barrel as subsequent contracts were cap space-related. Was supposed to come in 2018 to replace keenum (who lost NFC champ game to Eagles)and take a really good team to Superbowl (only reason he was paid) and he flopped.His contract then saw dismantling of one of NFL's best defense over next 2 years. First 4 years with a head coach that never wanted him. Offer him 30 million and a superbowl or 40 million and miss the play-offs - even now he'd take the money.
Atlanta bringing him in for same reason Vikings did - think he's the missing piece to success with a talented roster. They'll end up slowly stripping that roster after this season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

View attachment 34531
Never understood why he's been pursued so highly over his career. Was never going to take you to the next level and certainly not when you're spending a huge chunk on him and leaving other parts of the squad light.

Didn't he once knee it rather than spike it and thus the clock ran out? That should be enough alone to make you want to steer clear.

ajsccfc

It hurt me to see Russell Wilson move to Denver, wasn't expecting to quickly see them pay him an obscene amount of money to fuck off. What a turnaround

tisza

Never understood why he's been pursued so highly over his career. Was never going to take you to the next level and certainly not when you're spending a huge chunk on him and leaving other parts of the squad light.

Didn't he once knee it rather than spike it and thus the clock ran out? That should be enough alone to make you want to steer clear.
He is a top 5 QB in terms of passing ability
etc. But most other categories he's average at best. But under Zimmer he was a stat stuffer. What he lacks is the ability to go off script. Reason his stats are good is because he doesn't take risks. Also he had elite WRs during his Vikings tenure - Jefferson, Diggs, Thielen made him his yards. His lack of mobility also keeps him out of the elite bracket.

Again he was brought to the Vikings as the final piece of a really good team but he couldn't handle the responsibility.
He will steer a decent team but not elevate it.

tisza

It hurt me to see Russell Wilson move to Denver, wasn't expecting to quickly see them pay him an obscene amount of money to fuck off. What a turnaround
Broncos had a history of QB disasters. It was a desperate move for a QB Seahawks wanted out anyway. Seahawks got an incredible price for him. Broncos also had to trade/cut some top players to pay him as well.

ajsccfc

Even though he was great for years I can't picture him being welcomed back later with open arms like you see now with Chancellor, Lynch, even Golden Tate and the lads.

Users who are viewing this thread