The Parenting Thread... (1 Viewer)

Astute

My mum used to take my extension lead so I couldn't plug my Spectrum in. Worst punishment ever.
I remember when I was a kid what hurt the most. Then I use them myself.

Like.i said earlier the kids mainly do as I say. Yet the wife still hasn't worked out why.

Astute

She has pulled a trick there though, because she always tells me she's not decent and I can't go in.

I have parental controls on her devices though and I can just set a time limit and a time they can no longer be used past (8pm at the mo).
I give the girls 1 minute to get decent.

But have never had a problem with any of the girls. Be good and you get freedom. Make 1 mistake and you lose it. Has a better effect on girls than boys. With the boys it is PlayStations and plugs :smuggrin:

Terry Gibson's perm

Don’t fall for the child must have designer clothes thing the stuff from supermarkets is fine and they grow out of it so quickly sometimes they only wear things once

Nick

Administrator
Don’t fall for the child must have designer clothes thing the stuff from supermarkets is fine and they grow out of it so quickly sometimes they only wear things once

Agree with that as well.

We must have spent 600-700 in the leadup and first couple of months on clothes. She spent most of her time in ASDA George babygrows and all of the fancy stuff never even had the labels taken off.

Terry Gibson's perm

Agree with that as well.

We must have spent 600-700 in the leadup and first couple of months on clothes. She spent most of her time in ASDA George babygrows and all of the fancy stuff never even had the labels taken off.

It’s done for the parents vanity same with the buggy we bought cheaper ones each time

Captain Dart

Skyblueweeman

Yeah, we're not like that at all thankfully. I've got a mate who is and thought he'd deck his kids out in designer clobber but thankfully he hasn't.

We've got other friends who've had kids recently and they've given us baby clothes as we're not all precious about having stuff that might have been worn once or twice before. Like you say, they grow so quickly at a young age that there's no point spending lots.

I'd imagine that we've probably spent about £50 on baby clothes so far but we have a full wardrobe in the nursery and a couple of full drawers of stuff we've been given (either used or unused) and stuff we've been bought.

As we don't know whether we're having a boy or girl, we have a lot of white and grey stuff so no doubt we'll get a more blue or pink stuff when they finally turn up.

Today is due date +12 so we're awaiting a call from the hospital in the next hour to go in today and be induced. Mrs WM isn't great to be honest as she's really worried about it. She had an 'examination' yesterday and is a bit tender. Really worried and it's horrible to see your loved one so worried.

I just keep trying to reassure her that she's in the last stages compared to the last 9 months and she needs to continue to think about the final outcome...our little son or daughter. Fingers crossed we can go in soon today and it doesn't take long. I reckon they'll eventually arrive on Thursday though.

Monners

She'll be fine WM. The wait is horrible - my wife was induced for our first child, and it was fine. I had a moment of clarity once the midwife handed my daughter to me to hold - will never forget it. Paying for her driving lessons now (my daughter, not the midwife) - I will never forget that either !

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah, we're not like that at all thankfully. I've got a mate who is and thought he'd deck his kids out in designer clobber but thankfully he hasn't.

We've got other friends who've had kids recently and they've given us baby clothes as we're not all precious about having stuff that might have been worn once or twice before. Like you say, they grow so quickly at a young age that there's no point spending lots.

I'd imagine that we've probably spent about £50 on baby clothes so far but we have a full wardrobe in the nursery and a couple of full drawers of stuff we've been given (either used or unused) and stuff we've been bought.

As we don't know whether we're having a boy or girl, we have a lot of white and grey stuff so no doubt we'll get a more blue or pink stuff when they finally turn up.

Today is due date +12 so we're awaiting a call from the hospital in the next hour to go in today and be induced. Mrs WM isn't great to be honest as she's really worried about it. She had an 'examination' yesterday and is a bit tender. Really worried and it's horrible to see your loved one so worried.

I just keep trying to reassure her that she's in the last stages compared to the last 9 months and she needs to continue to think about the final outcome...our little son or daughter. Fingers crossed we can go in soon today and it doesn't take long. I reckon they'll eventually arrive on Thursday though.

Make sure it’s all done by Saturday though

Sky Blue Pete

Enjoy. Follow your own path but listen to those people you love and respect the opinion of. It’s not easy but it’s the most rewarding life experience of them all. I wouldn’t cut plugs or expect to take someone to the police but you can’t aegye with the feedback

Skyblueweeman

The hospital have just called and said it's unlikely to be today as they've got a backlog from yesterday.

FFS....

Otis

I managed all that until my daughter got to 11-12. Then suddenly she wanted all the designer/brand stuff (iPhone, Vans, Converse, Adidas, Nike etc.)

Despite a long chat about the lack of quality differential between a t-shirt that is £10 and a t-shirt that is £40, it still hasn't sunk in.

Keep telling her you pay for the little label name on the item.

Plain t-shirt, good quality - £10. Stick a Ralph Lauren label on it and the price is at least quadrupled.

Nick

Administrator
I managed all that until my daughter got to 11-12. Then suddenly she wanted all the designer/brand stuff (iPhone, Vans, Converse, Adidas, Nike etc.)

Despite a long chat about the lack of quality differential between a t-shirt that is £10 and a t-shirt that is £40, it still hasn't sunk in.

Keep telling her you pay for the little label name on the item.

Plain t-shirt, good quality - £10. Stick a Ralph Lauren label on it and the price is at least quadrupled.

As it is sort of on topic, I don't understand why people would try to buy really bad fakes or really tacky cheap stuff with a name plastered over it from Sports Direct.

Why spend £15 on a really shocking Everlast sweater for your kid when you can go to Asda and buy them a half decent one without a "brand name" on for less money.

Astute

The hospital have just called and said it's unlikely to be today as they've got a backlog from yesterday.

FFS....
Good luck and try to enjoy. It will be the longest however many hours it is in your life......until the next one.

Monners

At least tonight's game is on iFollow.

Imagine being brought into the world while our Checkatrade game v FGR is in full flow.
My daughter was brought into the world during our 1-0 defeat at home to Ipswich on Monday night football - last season in the Prem

Skyblueweeman

Good luck and try to enjoy. It will be the longest however many hours it is in your life......until the next one.

Thanks Astute. The only good thing about the hospital delaying bringing us in is that it gives my wife more time to have the baby naturally which she really wants to do as she's worried about being induced.

Once I finish work today (although I'm working from home again), we'll go out for a walk around tea time to see if that kick starts things.

The little bugger is either stubborn or lazy. Or both!

Monners

Thanks Astute. The only good thing about the hospital delaying bringing us in is that it gives my wife more time to have the baby naturally which she really wants to do as she's worried about being induced.

Once I finish work today (although I'm working from home again), we'll go out for a walk around tea time to see if that kick starts things.

Throw in a takeaway curry as well as the walk - worked a treat for our 2nd child! - born two days before england were knocked out of the world cup by Portugal on pens by the way

Skyblueweeman

Throw in a takeaway curry as well as the walk - worked a treat for our 2nd child! - born two days before england were knocked out of the world cup by Portugal on pens by the way

Already tried that mate. Nothing!

Tried the walk as well to be fair and that didn't work but gets us out of the house for a little while!

Astute

The best walk is up and down stairs while keeping feet far apart.

Didn't work last time but at least it made me laugh.

skyblueinBaku

Already tried that mate. Nothing!

Tried the walk as well to be fair and that didn't work but gets us out of the house for a little while!
Take her for a motorbike ride across a ploughed field! :emoji_smiley:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Best of luck SBWM. Not been there yet but I’m in that age bracket where it’s gonna happen sooner or later. Can’t imagine how exciting/anxiety filled your current situation is. Best advice that I’ve had from mates that I always think about is, think about the people you know who’ve managed to raise kids and you wonder how. If they can, then you can. My Godson turned 1 yesterday and brings joy to me every time I see him, can’t imagine what having your own is like, but cherish every second and get stuck in. I’m sure these last couple of days are horribly nerve wracking but got everything crossed for you that it all goes well and I’m sure it will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman

Best of luck SBWM. Not been there yet but I’m in that age bracket where it’s gonna happen sooner or later. Can’t imagine how exciting/anxiety filled your current situation is. Best advice that I’ve had from mates that I always think about is, think about the people you know who’ve managed to raise kids and you wonder how. If they can, then you can. My Godson turned 1 yesterday and brings joy to me every time I see him, can’t imagine what having your own is like, but cherish every second and get stuck in. I’m sure these last couple of days are horribly nerve wracking but got everything crossed for you that it all goes well and I’m sure it will

Thanks mate. I do look at some of my mates and think ‘I’ve got no worries if they can do it’!

Users who are viewing this thread