The Parenting Thread... (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

As I've mentioned a couple times (apologies if I've bored anyone....), I'm due to become a father to my first child. My wife is currently 11 days overdue so we're going to the hospital this afternoon to try and kick start the labour process and if that doesn't work, then she's going to be induced tomorrow so either way, I'll be a dad to a newborn in the next 48 hours or so.

Words cannot describe the excitement I'm feeling right now. We don't know if it's a boy or girl but as long as they're healthy, that's all the matters...and my wife being ok after the birth as well.

Has anyone else had any newborns recently for the first time? Any words of advice other than the standard get as much sleep as you can, work as a team etc?
No newborns recently, my two are now 23 and 27.
After our first, my wife decided she didn't want to work any more but instead become a stay at home mother 'for a few years'. Well she never went back to work... ever.
That really bit me in the arse when we got divorced and I had to support her.
So my advice is to enjoy things in the short term but don't lose sight of the long term.
You'll need to change your will if you have one. If you don't have one, you now need one.

Skyblueweeman

No real update I’m afraid.

We weren’t called into hospital yesterday and were told to call back today. Called at lunchtime and were told there was still a backlog of ladies waiting to be induced (who knew this is a popular time for newborns on the outskirts of Pompey...) and if we didn’t hear back throughout the day to call back at 10pm tonight.

Just called back about 45mjns ago and they’ve said that there’s only one more person on the list before my wife so they’ve said to keep our phones on through the night and we’ll hopefully get a call.

As tomorrow (Thurs) is day 14 overdue, I’m going to set my work Out of Office now and then get to bed for some kip.

Fingers crossed this time tomorrow I’ll be 24hrs without sleep and the father to a little crying shitting machine. A sentence I never envisaged typing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman

No newborns recently, my two are now 23 and 27.
After our first, my wife decided she didn't want to work any more but instead become a stay at home mother 'for a few years'. Well she never went back to work... ever.
That really bit me in the arse when we got divorced and I had to support her.
So my advice is to enjoy things in the short term but don't lose sight of the long term.
You'll need to change your will if you have one. If you don't have one, you now need one.

Thanks Gazolba. Don’t have a will so will look into that.

hill83

My lad is 3 now. When he was born 2 weeks early. Went for one of the final checks and they said he was in breech. So they sent us to the hospital for a scan and the pillock was.
They booked us in for a cesarean the next day at 11am.

So my birth experience went like this:

10:50am - Pop scrubs on
10:51 to 10:59am - piss about on phone
11:00am - Get invited into the operating theatre
11:01am - Handed a new Cov fan

And now he's three and starting school next year.

Nick

Administrator
My lad is 3 now. When he was born 2 weeks early. Went for one of the final checks and they said he was in breech. So they sent us to the hospital for a scan and the pillock was.

Sounds pretty easy. Home for tea.

Nick

Administrator
They had to stay in for 3 nights so I even got the house to myself for a bit. Loved it.
Did you get kicked out of the hospital at a certain time too?

I did about an hour after as visiting was over. One of the weirdest things ever going home being a dad, but on my own.

Almost didn't really sink in properly it was that quick.

hill83

I did about an hour after as visiting was over. One of the weirdest things ever going home being a dad, but on my Jack.

Yep. Can't remember the exact times, it was at George Elliot. First night I went to my local and had a few beers. Wasn't really sure what to do with myself.

Otis

I did about an hour after as visiting was over. One of the weirdest things ever going home being a dad, but on my own.

No, I wasn't kicked out at all. Stayed there pretty much the whole time. Popped home once in 35 hours just to grab a bite to eat and change my clothes, otherwise they were happy for me to be there.

Johnnythespider

Sounds like cesarean is the way to go, i was just wondering, as the mother doesn't have to go through all that pushing and shoving, does everything stay, you know, nice and snug down there.

Johnnythespider

My first turned up at about 3 in the morning, after about an hour they moved my wife up to the ward, when we got to the lift the nurse told me i would have to leave as i couldn't go up to the ward outside of visiting, i felt a bit lost as i made my way home but took the opportunity to get some sleep.

Astute

My first turned up at about 3 in the morning, after about an hour they moved my wife up to the ward, when we got to the lift the nurse told me i would have to leave as i couldn't go up to the ward outside of visiting, i felt a bit lost as i made my way home but took the opportunity to get some sleep.
All my kids have been born in the middle of the night except for one. All induced and it still takes hours.

But the day one was 3rd November 2001. A bloody Saturday. At least there was a TV in the delivery room. Of course I remember it well. So had the sport on.

Millwall away. 0-0 at HT IIRC.

They took the lead. We equalised. Let out celebratory shout. Got told off. We took the lead. Shout was even louder. Was told any more shouting and they would turn TV off. Wished they had. 2 more goals for Millwall.

Otis

Sounds like cesarean is the way to go, i was just wondering, as the mother doesn't have to go through all that pushing and shoving, does everything stay, you know, nice and snug down there.
If and when I have a baby I'm definitely plumping for cesarean.

Skyblueweeman

To update...we were called at 6.30am this morning to come in so we’re finally here. First checks all good. Midwife said that the worst case scenario is three days. I repeat, THREE DAYS!

Saying that, first internal examination and all is in good position so hoping it’ll be much less than 3 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
To update...we were called at 6.30am this morning to come in so we’re finally here. First checks all good. Midwife said that the worst case scenario is three days. I repeat, THREE DAYS!

Saying that, first internal examination and all is in good position so hoping it’ll be much less than 3 days.

3 days? Hold tight!

Otis

So you've had yours. When's the wife's internal examination?

richnrg

good to see you've got your priorites right - keep posting the updates.

Otis

You thought of naming it after the City's last goalscorer?

Would be kind of fitting don't you think.

Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila Weeman.

Got a nice ring to it.

Nick

Administrator
Anybody got a link to a stream?

giphy.gif

Skyblueweeman

Jesus...I remember when you were talking about your newborn.

3 years ago! Seems like yesterday.

Otis

Waters haven’t broke yet. No real signs of movements. My money’s going on an arrival tomorrow at this rate!

Feel like sw88 with the updates.

Yeah, but without all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

fernandopartridge

Yes, my missus had a cesarean too, it was pretty similar. I was amazed at how routine it seemed for the doctors (not sure why I'm amazed as it is a standard if complex operation).

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Waters haven’t broke yet. No real signs of movements. My money’s going on an arrival tomorrow at this rate!

Feel like sw88 with the updates.

There is an old wives tale about how to bring the baby on and it involves doing the very thing that brought about the situation in the first place. Sounds the last thing you may want to be doing, especially the missus, but two of our three were very overdue, and on both occasions it kick started the births fairly quickly.
As for a cesarean, it's pretty convenient as you know when it will be etc, but your wife/partner will need looking after 24/7 at home . I had a week booked off work to help out but at the end of that I had to take a second. If you've got family around great, but if it's just you then be prepared for it.
Hope it all goes well. It's all worth it in the end.

Skyblueweeman

There is an old wives tale about how to bring the baby on and it involves doing the very thing that brought about the situation in the first place. Sounds the last thing you may want to be doing, especially the missus, but two of our three were very overdue, and on both occasions it kick started the births fairly quickly.
As for a cesarean, it's pretty convenient as you know when it will be etc, but your wife/partner will need looking after 24/7 at home . I had a week booked off work to help out but at the end of that I had to take a second. If you've got family around great, but if it's just you then be prepared for it.
Hope it all goes well. It's all worth it in the end.

We’re in the hospital now mate with midwives checking in every so often. Not sure we’d get away with it

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...there's always next time !

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Our boy was after 40 odd hour labour but he wouldn’t fit out so he had to come out the sunroof! (Tbh with the size of my head he wouldn’t have fitted out the channel tunnel!)
Was the most emotional rollercoaster of my life very bizarre 2 days!

Astute

Bet it seems like you have been in the hospital 24 hours already :smuggrin:

Never mind. Odds are things will start moving in the middle of the night. Enjoy the last bit of peace as life will never be the same again.

Skyblueweeman

Bet it seems like you have been in the hospital 24 hours already :smuggrin:

Never mind. Odds are things will start moving in the middle of the night. Enjoy the last bit of peace as life will never be the same again.

It does Astute. Only been 13 and 1/2 hrs so far.

Pleased to say that contractions have started in the last 90 mins. About 2 mins apart, lasting 50 seconds on average.

At least things are kicking off!

Astute

It does Astute. Only been 13 and 1/2 hrs so far.

Pleased to say that contractions have started in the last 90 mins. About 2 mins apart, lasting 50 seconds on average.

At least things are kicking off!

Sounds like it could be soon.

Soon means a few hours though.

Users who are viewing this thread