The queues (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Would a bus make much impact? What are you talking about realistically? Google says a double decker holds 70-90 people, town to the arena and back is a half hour round trip plus match day traffic and actually getting people on and off. I’d imagine you’d need 20-30 trips to make an impact, maybe 10 buses needed? Just fag packet stuff.

Not sure it’s economically viable for either the arena or a bus company to do. But feels like something that could be done with a bit of will power from all involved.

Cheylesmore ITK

Would a bus make much impact? What are you talking about realistically? Google says a double decker holds 70-90 people, town to the arena and back is a half hour round trip plus match day traffic and actually getting people on and off. I’d imagine you’d need 20-30 trips to make an impact, maybe 10 buses needed? Just fag packet stuff.

Not sure it’s economically viable for either the arena or a bus company to do. But feels like something that could be done with a bit of will power from all involved.
The original Pool Meadow to Arena sky blue special buses we canned due to lack of interest

The original Pool Meadow to Arena sky blue special buses we canned due to lack of interest
I'm not sure that's correct. I seem to remember that the bus company - National Express (or 'Corporation' as we used to call them), wanted more money to lay the service on - despite charging a fair whack for using them, and the Club wouldn't subsidise them.
I used to get the Pool Meadow to Arena 'special', after a few pints in Town. Now I have to get the No.20 up Foleshill Road - which is OK to get to the match, but a real pain trying to get back, especially for night games, when I often don't get back to the City centre until 10:30.

Cheylesmore ITK

I'm not sure that's correct. I seem to remember that the bus company - National Express (or 'Corporation' as we used to call them), wanted more money to lay the service on - despite charging a fair whack for using them, and the Club wouldn't subsidise them.
I used to get the Pool Meadow to Arena 'special', after a few pints in Town. Now I have to get the No.20 up Foleshill Road - which is OK to get to the match, but a real pain trying to get back, especially for night games, when I often don't get back to the City centre until 10:30.
Yeah, they were a loss maker for the bus company.

There were buses leaving Pool Meadow less than a quarter full.

Unless the Club or Venue subsidise them the buses aren't coming back

Cheylesmore ITK

Not sure Pool Meadow is the right place TBH. Also our crowds right now are bigger than ever so may be worth another shot?
Club or Arena would have to pay for it as there is nothing much in for them as it won't increase bus travel that much and most who are likely to catch the bus just get the 20/40 down the Foleshill Road or the 4 to the Stadium

Marty

When I was in Australia, I took in a couple of games of cricket, and as soon as you come out the stadium, there's queues and queues of buses, just show your match ticket and you got entry, so for example, there were about 10 buses ready to go to the last tram stop on the line. Within 20 mins I was back on Cavill Ave having a pint.

I just don't think we have the public transport infrastructure in this city to make it viable. You get dropped off in the city centre, and you'll be waiting another 20 mins for another bus

pusbccfc

@Sky Blue Pete - has there ever been chat about a Park & Ride?

Could use schools around the city (1 x South, 1 x West, 1 x East).

Big car parks, normally empty at match times, built to take coaches.

They can't even be arsed to sort out a bus/shuttle bus from Cov station

pusbccfc

Club or Arena would have to pay for it as there is nothing much in for them as it won't increase bus travel that much and most who are likely to catch the bus just get the 20/40 down the Foleshill Road or the 4 to the Stadium

This is the argument I've heard before but realistically most travelling to and from the station go by cab/Uber. Hence why there's tons of away fans aimless walking around after the game with no way back to town.

The shuttle buses after the game would be very popular for away fans and could easily charge £4

pusbccfc

Yeah, they were a loss maker for the bus company.

There were buses leaving Pool Meadow less than a quarter full.

Unless the Club or Venue subsidise them the buses aren't coming back

I just don't understand why the bus companies cannot adapt the current services to stop at the £1.5m bus interchange built at the station.

It is mental that we have a major football stadium 6 miles out of town which has no bus service to and from the train station. Away fans are not going to walk 15/20 minutes to Pool Meadow to get a bus which drops them nearly a mile from the ground.

wingy

So who benifits from the parking, a private entity that's who I believe, it should every fans objective to use public transport, and that is the responsibility of who?

chiefdave

Can't help but feel like the fans are the ones at fault for not arriving early enough and causing all of these queues.

Why aren't the fans taking advantage of the opportunities provided to help them arrive and get in earlier such as:

- The extra perimeter fencing around the ground encouraging longer routes to be taken when attempting to walk to a turnstile

- The incredible train service to Coventry Arena station which is surely the best service in the West Midlands to get fans straight to a ground on matchdays

- The double decker shuttle buses that efficiently take fans from the City Centre, Train Station and Pool Meadow directly to the ground without any other stops

- The large car parking exclusion zone maximising the distance some fans will walk to get to the turnstiles

- The extensive temporary road closures put in place before kick off to help fans to cross the A444 without bottlenecks and delays

- the opportunity to add matchday tickets to a plastic membership card for non-Season Ticket Holders for faster entry.

- the folding lines on printed tickets being in the wrong place so the printed tickets won't fit in the scanner when folded as instructed

- the lack of line markings / fencing outside turnstiles to help lead to orderly queues that doesn't just lead into the barriers placed without gaps on the way into the North Stand. This then leads into queues that block off or limit the ability of fans to move from left to right when the loudspeaker helpfully explains that the reason for the problems is fans using the wrong turnstiles when they follow the printed instructions and go to the turnstiles on their ticket

- the additional stewarding placed standing around the away fans area rather than being used to complete searches in pairs away from the turnstiles or assisting with scanning problems either at the turnstile or with handheld scanners.

The way a lot of our fans act they must think they are owed the right of admission for paying to get in and I think it's high time they apologised to the club and arena staff for the way in which attendances have increased and are continuing to increase which makes life so much more difficult for everyone.

I know it was 7 years ago but have any other clubs had to delay a kick off due to the inability of 11,672 fans to be able to enter a 32k-ish stadium for a FA Trophy Semi Final game?

Speaking of delayed kick offs - does the lack of delays to kick offs mean that the CBS Arena is the first venue in England to implement 'safe standing areas' during football matches that are located outside of the stadium bowl on the way into the turnstiles?
Great post and this is exactly why people get annoyed. Everyone can see the problems, and there's plenty of solutions put forward but for all the 'we're trying to fix things' we get from the club nothing seems to change. Or worse they try something, it works, and it doesn't happen again.

We had the road closed, largely successful albeit some tweaks needed, hasn't happened since. We had a game with extra stewards on each turnstile searching people people they got to the front, it worked and people got in quicker, hasn't happened since.

This is not complex stuff and its things venues up and down the country manage on a regular basis. And it's not all down to football fans turning up 5 minutes before kick off. Stadium concerts there have made the national press with stories of how disorganised it is, queues to get in, impossible to get away from the arena and I know of a tour manager of one act who played in the exhibition hall who was seeing so many tweets and messages from the acts fans worrying they weren't going to be able to get in that he had to personally intervene.

We even had someone on here posting as if they were part of the team responsible for this, although given some of the posts I'm not convinced it wasn't someone on a wind up as the answers to most things seemed to be its your own fault or fingers in the ears that never happened. Not to mention the bizarre we can't do anything the stadiums too old, it wouldn't be built like that now line when we go to stadiums far older than ours without any problems.

We're not asking for anything special, just a basic level of service that every other venue in the country manages.

wingy

Great post and this is exactly why people get annoyed. Everyone can see the problems, and there's plenty of solutions put forward but for all the 'we're trying to fix things' we get from the club nothing seems to change. Or worse they try something, it works, and it doesn't happen again.

We had the road closed, largely successful albeit some tweaks needed, hasn't happened since. We had a game with extra stewards on each turnstile searching people people they got to the front, it worked and people got in quicker, hasn't happened since.

This is not complex stuff and its things venues up and down the country manage on a regular basis. And it's not all down to football fans turning up 5 minutes before kick off. Stadium concerts there have made the national press with stories of how disorganised it is, queues to get in, impossible to get away from the arena and I know of a tour manager of one act who played in the exhibition hall who was seeing so many tweets and messages from the acts fans worrying they weren't going to be able to get in that he had to personally intervene.

We even had someone on here posting as if they were part of the team responsible for this, although given some of the posts I'm not convinced it wasn't someone on a wind up as the answers to most things seemed to be its your own fault or fingers in the ears that never happened. Not to mention the bizarre we can't do anything the stadiums too old, it wouldn't be built like that now line when we go to stadiums far older than ours without any problems.

We're not asking for anything special, just a basic level of service that every other venue in the country manages.
I don't think it's fair tbh that you're pinning things on new ownership that is clearly nothing to do with them, legitimate stuff yes by all means?

mmttww

Would a bus make much impact? What are you talking about realistically?

This is a good point. If you did 3 x buses each time and 3 x departures from each location, (e.g. 11:45, 12:30, 1:15), you'd need c.10 x locations for it to make a dent. Not impossible - some could be Nuneaton and Bedworth and a shuttle from the train station. Lots to gain:

- Less traffic before and afterwards
- Less footfall afterwards across / around the A444.
- A bit of control over when people arrive

but you'd have to do it big or not at all, though for the reason you called out.

Nick

Administrator
This is a good point. If you did 3 x buses each time and 3 x departures from each location, (e.g. 11:45, 12:30, 1:15), you'd need c.10 x locations for it to make a dent. Not impossible - some could be Nuneaton and Bedworth and a shuttle from the train station. Lots to gain:

but you'd have to do it big or not at all, though for the reason you called out.

There are buses to Nuneaton and Bedworth just behind Tesco anyway.

shmmeee

There are buses to Nuneaton and Bedworth just behind Tesco anyway.

Yeah I think the North is pretty well served, would be interesting to see any data the club had on ST locations and travel choices.

MalcSB

people on the first buses would be getting to the arena quite early.

MalcSB

The road closure was after the game so wouldn’t have helped entry to the stadium and I’m sure wasnt considered to be all that successful either.

MalcSB

would people catch buses that early? They can’t be arsed to get to the stadium that far in advance of kick off currently.

CCFCSteve

Tbf the range inside the ground is very, very good compared to other grounds.

Mahou, Stella, Camden Hells, Budweiser and the Dhillon's stuff. Beats Sunderland with just Carling bottles, Norwich with Carlsberg and Birmingham with a £6.10 Amstel.

And beats the two man cubby hole servicing all of the lower tier, selling warm bottles of carling at Hillsborough !

Sbarcher

Used to use the park and ride from the Jag car park some years ago. Not sure if it’s still available.

shmmeee

would people catch buses that early? They can’t be arsed to get to the stadium that far in advance of kick off currently.

The other half is giving people something to turn up to. I still think the arena could support some more bars near by.

I'm not sure if it's been raised by anyone else...but maybe...

similar to commonwealth games (but better executed!)...

* set a perimeter fenced area, encompassing the turnstile areas and outdoor fan zone
* open the exhibition hall as a mass entrance/security check and ticket scan zone
* loads of space there for checking tickets and in the dry. food outlets and TVs to make it feel less like a queue
* if any space still exists within have some beer outlets
* once through, exit into the fenced off 'approved zone'
* beers and pies inside and out
* through open turnstile doors as you have already been checked.
* come and go within the approved zone as you wish

probably loads of actual barriers to this, but surely it's been considered. if we are to continue on the up, we can't have these queues game after game. some action better than none.

mmttww

Just put times in as examples. You don't want buses leaving later than 90 mins before KO, though.

I reckon people would be happy being earlier if a P&R was cheap / free and getting away after was easier.

pusbccfc

* set a perimeter fenced area, encompassing the turnstile areas and outdoor fan zone
* open the exhibition hall as a mass entrance/security check and ticket scan zone
* loads of space there for checking tickets and in the dry. food outlets and TVs to make it feel less like a queue

probably loads of actual barriers to this, but surely it's been considered. if we are to continue on the up, we can't have these queues game after game. some action better than none.

They do that for gigs too. Would take up way too much parking space really

wingy

Conflicting events I'd wager?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Look, stop having a dig at people getting there 30 mins before KO. For midweek games, living an hour away, there is absolutely no way for me to get there earlier without booking time off work. We're not all local retirees!

David O'Day

Look, stop having a dig at people getting there 30 mins before KO. For midweek games, living an hour away, there is absolutely no way for me to get there earlier without booking time off work. We're not all local retirees!
You mean we all can't turn up 4 hours before kick off

Also if everyone turned up earlier you would still have big queues, just earlier in the day. You need people to turn up early and you need people to turn up late.

Users who are viewing this thread