This weeks WC qualifiers (3 Viewers)

Covstu

What I don’t get is that we play 10-12 poor to average teams in qualifying where some of this young talent would have a great opportunity to play competitive qualifying games yet we play ‘the usual’, piss the group then switch the whole lot against the two best sides in the world (albeit friendlies). Surely we would have a great chance of getting the team used to playing with each other and be in a a better position come the tournament? Surely it’s too late to state a claim for the finals bar a minor miracle?

Otis

What I don’t get is that we play 10-12 poor to average teams in qualifying where some of this young talent would have a great opportunity to play competitive qualifying games yet we play ‘the usual’, piss the group then switch the whole lot against the two best sides in the world (albeit friendlies). Surely we would have a great chance of getting the team used to playing with each other and be in a a better position come the tournament? Surely it’s too late to state a claim for the finals bar a minor miracle?
Yep, I don't get it either. We play teams the likes of Malta where we are odds on to win at all but a canter whatever team we put out, so why not blood some of the new talent then?

Covstu

This is my point, a loftus cheek or whoever can have 4 competitive games and have a real stake of going to Russia rather than hoping he is going to play well in one game against a half arsed German side. We struggle to break down team who park the bus, so why not switch it up and look at something different?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Summed up when the commentators said no other team have had so many first teamers pull out.

Honestly, they wouldn't be going if I were in charge. No way all of them can be genuinely injured.

Otis

This is my point, a loftus cheek or whoever can have 4 competitive games and have a real stake of going to Russia rather than hoping he is going to play well in one game against a half arsed German side. We struggle to break down team who park the bus, so why not switch it up and look at something different?
These games are like show games. Germany are already playing like they are on auto-pilot.

Otis

Watching Loftus-Cheek here it seems quite clearly apparent to me that we could have at least had him on the bench in qualifying and brought him on to replace Dele Alli with a game won or Alli tiring.

Covstu

Watching Loftus-Cheek here it seems quite clearly apparent to me that we could have at least had him on the bench in qualifying and brought him on to replace Dele Alli with a game won or Alli tiring.
It’s about a plan B for me Otis. When our first team isn’t clicking we don’t have a clue in competitive games. If we bled a strong second team that were fighting for places then we could see something different

skybluegod

Loftus-cheek playing really well. Gonna be a good player.
Livermore is completely out of his depth, his passing is as bad as Doyle’s!
Eric Dier doing well.
John Stones developing into the player that everyone thought he would be under pep.
Finally, Pickford also having a good game, showing up Joe Hart- yet knowing Southgate hart will still be number one at the WC

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Trippier good.
Loftus-Cheek has looked ok but I don't really understand all the wanking over him.
Stones also overrated massively.
Gomez out of his depth, also Livermore.

Why have we just brought on 2 defenders?

skybluegod

Trippier good.
Loftus-Cheek has looked ok but I don't really understand all the wanking over him.
Stones also overrated massively.
Gomez out of his depth, also Livermore.

Why have we just brought on 2 defenders?

Loftus-cheek has been our most creative player, which is desperately what we are missing in the midfield- we have grafters and we have tidy players but nobody that is willing to risk that pass and clip it in behind. That’s what he does best. Alli is a great number 10 and will score goals but he’s a different type of creative player.
Stones was overhyped as a kid, but this season has done brilliantly and really come along under pep.
Gomez hasn’t really done much wrong? And you are also the epitome of what is wrong with England fans, saying that about the kid after 50 minutes on the pitch.
Livermore I agree, he’s 27(?) and wasn’t even in the squad, and is now in the first 11, and in his previous appearances has been just as bad. So you have a case.

We also took off 2 defenders?
The whole point of these friendlies is to develop a system, and see how players do, not change the system constantly it isn’t about winning.
This is the system Southgate wants to play at the WC, so he isn’t going to take off 2 defenders and on 2 strikers is he?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Loftus-cheek has been our most creative player, which is desperately what we are missing in the midfield- we have grafters and we have tidy players but nobody that is willing to risk that pass and clip it in behind. That’s what he does best. Alli is a great number 10 and will score goals but he’s a different type of creative player.
Stones was overhyped as a kid, but this season has done brilliantly and really come along under pep.
Gomez hasn’t really done much wrong? And you are also the epitome of what is wrong with England fans, saying that about the kid after 50 minutes on the pitch.
Livermore I agree, he’s 27(?) and wasn’t even in the squad, and is now in the first 11, and in his previous appearances has been just as bad. So you have a case.

We also took off 2 defenders?
The whole point of these friendlies is to develop a system, and see how players do, not change the system constantly it isn’t about winning.
This is the system Southgate wants to play at the WC, so he isn’t going to take off 2 defenders and on 2 strikers is he?

Oh fuck off you patronising git.

Stones is massively overrated at international level, Gomez is massively out of his depth. Am I wrong there? Not ripping into anyone, just saying it how it is.

You also clearly don't understand that regardless of creating a system, if you're 0-0 and pushing the game, perhaps the new fresh legs you need might be up top? We need to practice pressuring teams like Germany for the serious competitions, that's also partly why I'm so angry at many first teamers pulling out.

Mcbean

Well lets face it - was a better game than most friendlies with no goals - Trippier , Cheek -very promising - just goes to show when you can get someone behind the back 3 / 4

Last edited:

skybluegod

Oh fuck off you patronising git.

Stones is massively overrated at international level, Gomez is massively out of his depth. Am I wrong there? Not ripping into anyone, just saying it how it is.

You also clearly don't understand that regardless of creating a system, if you're 0-0 and pushing the game, perhaps the new fresh legs you need might be up top? We need to practice pressuring teams like Germany for the serious competitions, that's also partly why I'm so angry at many first teamers pulling out.

Seemed to handle one of the best teams in the world tonight pretty well? Also a massive part of the Manchester City team smashing the premier league? He hasn’t put a foot wrong this season. I agree he was overrated in the past, but that’s why he never played at international level.

Again Gomez didn’t look out of his depth? He made one mistake really tonight? Nothing else. He didn’t look like a world beater, but nor did ginter it rudiger who both made more mistakes for Germany than Gomez did for us, and I wouldn’t say they were out of their depth?

We weren’t pushing the game? If anything Germany were putting the pressure on and we had all 11 players in our own half? I don’t disagree we could have done with some fresh legs up front, but he brought Rashford on already? We don’t have many other options.

I agree about being pissed about the first teamers being out but injuries happen, and couple players took their chance tonight.

CJ_covblaze

Good performance. Could’ve won. Sane and Loftus-Cheek were both superb. Loftus-Cheek controlled our midfield. Sane looked dangerous every time he got the ball.

Five debutants played against a very strong German side. Last 3 games against them: W1, L1, D1, F3, A3. Not bad really.

Johnnythespider

Just a word for Maguire, who I think had a good game and looked like he could bring the ball out from the back and start moves off. Loftus cheek impressed me and I thought he could give Dele Alli something to think about.

skybluegod

Brazil will give a completely different test for the defence, so I look forward to that. Looked Okay, against Germany but they lack that star player up front.
Brazil have a lot of good attacking options so should be a good game

Otis

I thought Loftus-Cheek looked really good. Was impressed. Maguire as well looked really comfortable.

Don't see the point of Cork and Livermore in the squad, nor Ashley Young, who has been there before and clearly showed he wasn't up to international standard.

skybluegod

I thought Loftus-Cheek looked really good. Was impressed. Maguire as well looked really comfortable.

Don't see the point of Cork and Livermore in the squad, nor Ashley Young, who has been there before and clearly showed he wasn't up to international standard.

Yep agree on all of those 3.

Don’t see how Sturridge and Oxlade-Chamberlain weren’t called up after all the injuries.
Think once all of the injured are back Livermore, cork and young won’t be seen again tbf.
The likes of Lallana, Henderson, Alli, Sterling, Delph, all ahead of them.
Still got Barkley to come back from injury next month.
Anymore injuries and we will probably see Gareth Barry coming out of retirement

Otis

Ireland going to get a decent result tonight?

I'm going for 1-1, which will do them just fine.

Gazolba

Just watched the England vs Germany game. Was bored out of my mind.
This has to be the worst England side ever.
Not a single player excites me. They play like robots.
Far too many sideways and backwards passes.
No-one can shoot, dribble or show any creativity.
Where is the Gascoigne, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Shearer, Owen, Lineker?
And to think even with that calibre of players we couldn't win anything.
What chance do this pathetic lot have?

Otis

You were not impressed by Loftus-Cheek? I thought he showed skill and creativity.

skybluegod

Think we only have two players at the moment that are like those:
Dele Alli and Harry Kane who are both injured.
We are seriously lacking in midfield. And in the centre of defence. A lot of players with potential, but nobody with that wow factor other than those two so far.
We probably have the two best full backs in the premier league to be fair.

CJ_covblaze

A well respected world class player with 80+ caps and countless trophies appeared to have a different opinion when I was speaking to him last month.

Skyblueweeman

Gutted. Better team won over two legs to be fair but at least we put up a better fight tonight.

Good luck to the Swiss in Russia. Apart from their captain, the RB. The bloke is an absolute prick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Gutted. Better team won over two legs to be fair but at least we put up a better fight tonight.

Good luck to the Swiss in Russia. Apart from their captain, the RB. The bloke is an absolute prick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boils down to a loss due to a refereeing howler.

Users who are viewing this thread