Thorn Post Match Interview (1 Viewer)

Sorry but after hearing it again, that was wrong on so many levels.

He should apologise for that. How he can slate Bigi off and actually say he don't care, he has really wound me up and it was the way he said it.

Was that Thorn showing his true colours? I said the other week how there was a rift within the camp, based on that interview, you can see why.

cornoccfc

Sorry but after hearing it again, that was wrong on so many levels.

He should apologise for that. How he can slate Bigi off and actually say he don't care, he has really wound me up and it was the way he said it.

Was that Thorn showing his true colours? I said the other week how there was a rift within the camp, based on that interview, you can see why.

What did he say?

Any links? (that don't require Sky Blue Player?)

Jimthor

If this is the same interview that's on sky blues player, i really don't think it was that bad. Surprised it seems to be so controversial.

ccfc luke

I dont think it was that bad, he just said that Bigi needs to take some criticism aswell as all the praise that he has been getting. Its good to bring his expectations from the fans back down to earth - he has been over-rated all season.

Ccfc1979

It was totally over the top, and his decision to take off McDonald and not to make a change after red card are the worst things. Have had concerns since Telegraph story about letting players argue and rant before he steps in. This is not Wimbledon circa 1987 down the Dog and Duck! Well, it is but shouldn't be!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

What did he say?

Any links? (that don't require Sky Blue Player?)
It is a harsh lesson for Gael today, he was also at fault for the first goal. He (AT) doesn't care how Gael felt after the game, if the young players want the praise heaped on them they need to take the criticism as well.

Brief summary of AT's comments about Gael.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
If this is the post match interview then I can't see anything wrong with it?? The interviewer asks what he thought of the red card and Thorn said yes it was a red card because it was a 2 footed tackle which is correct. If he said he thought it shouldn't be red then he'd be lying. Unless there is another interview somewhere?

Ccfc1979

If this is the post match interview then I can't see anything wrong with it?? The interviewer asks what he thought of the red card and Thorn said yes it was a red card because it was a 2 footed tackle which is correct. If he said he thought it shouldn't be red then he'd be lying. Unless there is another interview somewhere?
It is the way he blames an 18 year old for everything to the media...not whether or not it was a red.

stupot07

It was totally over the top, and his decision to take off McDonald and not to make a change after red card are the worst things. Have had concerns since Telegraph story about letting players argue and rant before he steps in. This is not Wimbledon circa 1987 down the Dog and Duck! Well, it is but shouldn't be!!

Players will always express their opinions in the dressing room, do you honestly think that doesn't happen in every dressing room including old Trafford? You're being very naive if you believe that.

Ccfc1979

I just get the feeling there is no professionalism or cohesion in the way he manages as a figurehead. Is the REAL reason we have no loans because professionals at Premier League clubs don't want to come to Frank Butcher's Boys Club...they want to be professional footballers. Suppose Harrison could give them some good target practice...from the top of a wardrobe into a cup!

stupot07

No the reason we've got no loans in is because we have no money, we had to sell turner before we could get McDonald in.

Ccfc1979

I know, and do blame lack of investment, just still annoyed about yesterday and still feel mistakes being made with formation, subs, words to press and only playing half a game...never a full game. Don't HATE Thorn, just wonder if he had what it takes. He neither looks nor sounds like he does to me. My personal impression.

ccfcway

maybe its his way of saying...

"see, your not good enough for the prem yet, and should snap our hands off with the new contract and remember where you are in your career"

ccfcway

I wonder who wil be at the club the longest, Bigi (gone in Jan) or Thorn (will he last that long) ?

bradwellskyblues

i am fully with thorn on this gael did the same thing at leeds and got away with it he was told to be careful and he was not,thorn was quite correct to say that young players accept all the plaudits ,but must take the knocks as well

CovKingChris

Facebook User
He hasn't said anything wrong. He's used the old cliche that "he has to learn from his mistake". Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said.

Public humiliation of Gael? No. He was at fault, just because he's 18 doesn't mean he should lie to him about his performances.

Protecting the youngsters? He is. If people don't get feedback, how are they going to improve?

Johnnythespider

Just listened to this, talk about reading between the lines, i was expecting some sort of mad rant, all i heard was an honest forthright appraisal of the game. He states that the game should of been won before the sending off, true. He states that the sending off cost us the result, true. He states that bigi will have to learn his lesson, correct. IMO this thread is a load of hot air.

Lord_Nampil

The sending off didnt cost us the result though!!! we weren't loosing at that point!!! Thorn covering his back! Hes not the right man to take this young bunch forward! His comments through out the season have been questionable, and after blaming Bigi for the defeat as a fan i know no where i sit.

stupot07

Did the sending off cost us a point? Probably, just as bakers did against Leicester.

If you think his was bad, it's a good job Brian cough was never our manager.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sorry but good managers do not heap blame on individual players, especially young inexperienced players in public as he did. You wouldnt see Ferguson, Mancini, Mourihno, Wenger etc doing that . Those comments should have been kept in the dressing room. Honest opinion yes but the effect is that it destroys Bigi's confidence more than his mistake already did, hangs the defeat squarely & publically on his young shoulders and actually makes AT's job harder. He needs a confident player not one that is scared to play his game.

In addition it shows to me an inconsistency in his honest opinion. He has not until now picked out a player to publically criticise yet there have been performances by more senior players that have contributed greatly to poor results but not a mention. We didnt lose the game just because of one 18 year old player - we lost it because the team performance in the second half wasnt good enough and because some of the managers decisions were at best debateable

I think he was greatly disappointed by the result yesterday, to which he contributed, but whether young or senior player his comments were ill thought out. Criticising a player in the way he did, indicating he didnt care how a young player felt, isnt going to help his development or encourage him to stay. We dont need to make problems for ourselves we have enough already

Macca

Can we stop referring to 18 year olds as kids. If they can t cope they shouldn t have contracts

SkyBluePryce

I dont get what's wrong with that interview. it's refreshing, what's the point in Thorn coming out and saying absolute nonsence (boothroyd/coleman style) when he doesn't mean a word of it, thats SISUs approach. I want to know whats happening in the club and what type of action Thorn takes. He doesn't blame Bigi for the loss, he says been stupid due to a rush of blood and being caught in the moment, the first goal (i presume he's right, i personally didn't notice it at the time) if it was Bigi's fault then whats the problem in saying he was at fault. If Gael scored a wonder goal to win the game Thorn would be praising him, it works both ways. And i realise he's only just 18 but the listeners are all fans and realise the situation and their views wont change because of this, its not as if Thorns gone to sky sports and started tearing in to Gael (Though maybe a good idea get the scouts away :D).

wingy

Its a divider this one, for me its the fact he has,nt chosen this approach with others ,Bakers sending off for instance,"he knows he' s been foolish ,was trying to hard ".Macca what day would you say ,the switch flicked to signal the day you or any of the rest were supposed to have matured ,personally for me ,early to mid twenties.

stupot07

OSB we won't know whether Thorns wrecked bigi's confidence until we see him play again in 4 games time.

Will it stop him stroking the ball around with confidence? Probably not. will it stop him from going in with 2 feet again? Hopefully yes.

Coincidently drogba got sent off for the exactly the same thing today.

Otis

Its a divider this one, for me its the fact he has,nt chosen this approach with others ,Bakers sending off for instance,"he knows he' s been foolish ,was trying to hard ".Macca what day would you say ,the switch flicked to signal the day you or any of the rest were supposed to have matured ,personally for me ,early to mid twenties.

Exactly. How can you see nothing wrong in what he says when he hasn't show that same sort of naming and shaming for anyone else who has let us down? Of course it may well affect an 18 year old much more than a seasoned professional who has heard it all before too.

Thorn was wrong anyway, and the fact that he hasn't done it before makes it all the worse.

Nick

Administrator
Thorns not a manager by trade. He'll learn, but he needs to learn fast.

It is no excuse, he was a pro and has worked in the game all his life. Why can other people see us under so much pressure but him?

How long will he be blameless for and loved because of some good football last season?

stupot07

It is no excuse, he was a pro and has worked in the game all his life. Why can other people see us under so much pressure but him?

How long will he be blameless for and loved because of some good football last season?

He's not blameless but he's also not the only one to blame. There have been plenty of threads criticising thorn and his decisions. You look at a lot of the points dropped in stoppage time, and most were caused by individual errors, although thorn should use his subs more and yesterday was an ideal opportunity.

Otis

Well I think that is exactly what has irked people so much. It was plain as day from the stands that changes needed to be made and i think most of us find it quite bizarre that it didn't happen. There was only ever going to be one winner as the game wore on. Changes had to be made.

Wish Geoff Foster had asked the question why.

He is 18 years of age and firmly believes in God. I don't think a critique of his performance will see him go to pieces. If he does so next time we see him, you may have a point. If he plays well and tries to prove a point to the manager and cement his place, you may not. Thorn has alluded to putting an arm around these younger players several times. I think laying the blame for a red card at the offending player in public and putting an arm around the shoulder of an 18 year old who made a mistake are not mutually exclusive stances. Those who wish to add fire to the 'Thorn is just a scout who doesn't challenge SISU, has fewer game plans than we need, has his (wrongly) favoured players, etc.' will read the statement as they wish.

PS; I didn't even listen to the interview as I am currently pretending to be listening to my missus. I read between the lines and formed an opinion based on that. Just call me, Non-outraged from Tumbridge Wells... well, Earlsdon.

Macca

not denying thorn was a little harsh but half of the reason players don't grow up these days is because they are mollycoddled so much. Bigi I believe has enough faith in himself to get over it

Grendel

not denying thorn was a little harsh but half of the reason players don't grow up these days is because they are mollycoddled so much. Bigi I believe has enough faith in himself to get over it

The truth is he knows that this was a game that slipped away and he contributed to the defeat. He is not good at being interviewed at the best of times. When the going gets tough I suspect he will get a lot worse.

Users who are viewing this thread