Tiredness (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

You say this so I’ve just looked at stats from last season to this of minutes played
22/23 season minutes played in 51 matches for the top 11 players in terms of minutes played
Gyokeres 4377
Wilson 4260
Bidwell 3963
Doyle 3819
Hamer 3758
Fadz 3758
Sheaf 3174
Allen 3085
Eccles 2619
Panzo 2304
Godden 2160

Total minutes played 34154
Now compare to this season but over 52 matches
Thomas 4021
Eccles 3676
MVE 3522
Lati 3357
Wright 3307
Simms 3134
Sheaf 2881
Collins 2730
Kitching 2568
JDS 2548
Bidwell 2410.

Total minutes played 36835.
So between the 11 they played 2700 minutes more.
so last season in less games (by 1) all of the top 9 players played more minutes than the top 9 in this season but they have had an extra match to play those minutes in.

So how come tiredness and fatigue is such a massive problem this season but not last?
No you’re right the club are lying and gaslighting all the supporters because there’s a conspiracy afoot that only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear can possibly understand the real motive behind these false statements

Nick

Administrator
No you’re right the club are lying and gaslighting all the supporters because there’s a conspiracy afoot that only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear can possibly understand the real motive behind these false statements

Robins' actions often hardly match somebody managing a fatigued squad.

Briles

must be disheartening to the youth players to see Robins playing tired and injured players in dead rubber games.

skybluecam

Tiredness ?

How did the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and Nottingham Forest win all them league titles between them back in the day, playing 60 games, with Cup games and European games a season with ONLY ONE sub allowed with smaller squad's.

And they say the players of today are fitter. LOL.
Those teams would get absolutely fucking battered by elite teams today. I’m talking 10/15-0. They would look like amateurs. It’s incomparable.

SAJ

So Pete you’re trying to say I’ve made all those figures up? They are the facts of minutes played by the 11 players who have played the most all season both last and this.

skybluecam

You say this so I’ve just looked at stats from last season to this of minutes played
22/23 season minutes played in 51 matches for the top 11 players in terms of minutes played
Gyokeres 4377
Wilson 4260
Bidwell 3963
Doyle 3819
Hamer 3758
Fadz 3758
Sheaf 3174
Allen 3085
Eccles 2619
Panzo 2304
Godden 2160

Total minutes played 34154
Now compare to this season but over 52 matches
Thomas 4021
Eccles 3676
MVE 3522
Lati 3357
Wright 3307
Simms 3134
Sheaf 2881
Collins 2730
Kitching 2568
JDS 2548
Bidwell 2410.

Total minutes played 36835.
So between the 11 they played 2700 minutes more.
so last season in less games (by 1) all of the top 9 players played more minutes than the top 9 in this season but they have had an extra match to play those minutes in.

So how come tiredness and fatigue is such a massive problem this season but not last?
I would hazard a guess that for a lot of our players this year it will be the most minutes they’ve ever played in a season, so they’re not used to it.

Also it’s distribution. We played 8 games in April, with 4 really tough ones (Leeds, Soton, United, Ipswich). Doubt we ever had a run like that last year. The season was also obviously lengthened due to playoffs.

Briles

Hardly pulling up any trees though aren't they. Not getting the vibes we have had with previous ones coming through the ranks.

The quality has seemed quite low.

No-one has been knocking on the door

Moore,Stretton and Andrews are quite highly thought of, just seems silly not to try them out

Edit: just realised Moores recovering from ACL

Nick

Administrator
Hardly pulling up any trees though aren't they. Not getting the vibes we have had with previous ones coming through the ranks.

The quality has seemed quite low.

No-one has been knocking on the door

See the Maidstone FA Cup game where he needlessly put on MVE, O'Hare etc when he could have put a couple of youngsters on. The game was won.

See Rotherham also and other big wins.

SAJ

I would hazard a guess that for a lot of our players this year it will be the most minutes they’ve ever played in a season, so they’re not used to it.

Also it’s distribution. We played 8 games in April, with 4 really tough ones (Leeds, Soton, United, Ipswich). Doubt we ever had a run like that last year. The season was also obviously lengthened due to playoffs.
Agree with the 4 matches highlighted especially at Wembly as that would have taken more out of players but it’s not vastly different, 7 games played last season in April 3 of which were against teams all close to the playoffs so other than the Cup match not a massive difference.

Otis

See the Maidstone FA Cup game where he needlessly put on MVE, O'Hare etc when he could have put a couple of youngsters on. The game was won.

See Rotherham also and other big wins.
Honestly, the criticism Robins gets on here, it amazes me how there aren't loads more fans wanting him sacked.

Tactics are wrong, set up is wrong, won't play the kids, makes excuses about tiredness, doesn't make substitutions when he needs to, sometimes tactically naive and freezes players out.

Listening to myself there, I want him sacked now too.

There just seems to be so much flak come his way and it also seems that just about every aspect of his management is very heavily criticised.

Maybe we will find out more in the summer as to why some things planned out as they did and why he didn't play some kids. If many of them are out the door or loaned to non-league, that will be the answer. And if we don't see them anywhere near the first team next year, that could be the answer too.

We go on a good run and people want a statue for him, we lose 3 or 4 on the bounce and he's a dreadful manager and everything is wrong.

Nick

Administrator
Honestly, the criticism Robins gets on here, it amazes me how there aren't loads more fans wanting him sacked.

Tactics are wrong, set up is wrong, won't play the kids, makes excuses about tiredness, doesn't make substitutions when he needs to, sometimes tactically naive and freezes players out.

Listening to myself there, I want him sacked now too.

There just seems to be so much flak come his way and it also seems that just about every aspect of his management is very heavily criticised.

Maybe we will find out more in the summer as to why some things planned out as they did and why he didn't play some kids. If many of them are out the door or loaned to non-league, that will be the answer. And if we don't see them anywhere near the first team next year, that could be the answer too.

We go on a good run and people want a statue for him, we lose 3 or 4 on the bounce and he's a dreadful manager and everything is wrong.

None of that has anything to do with the point about using subs to give players rest and others match fitness?

Let's face it, he does freeze players out as well.

usskyblue

You either trust his judgement, or you don’t.. but the trajectory he’s put us on should help with the overall answer. Is he error proof, of course not, who the fuckis? As far as the kids are concerned, he obviously doesn’t think they’re ready. Simple as that really.

Otis

None of that has anything to do with the point about using subs to give players rest and others match fitness?

Let's face it, he does freeze players out as well.
I explained. Could be a perfectly rational explanation. If we had a big enough a squad I don't think any of those kids would be anywhere near the bench.

And you have absolutely zero idea as to whether those on the bench are carrying knocks, or just didn't impress in training. That's always a big factor and managers don't like it when players don't show enough on the training ground.

But that's just a guess. Same as you are assuming. You clearly don't think Robins knows what he's doing at times.

I just don't like to jump to conclusions. I would love to be able to ask him why he doesn't bring subs on when the fans think it's time to, but he's been a brilliant manager for us and I trust that he knows what he's doing

Otis

You either trust his judgement, or you don’t.. but the trajectory he’s put us on should help with the overall answer. Is he error proof, of course not, who the fuckis? As far as the kids are concerned, he obviously doesn’t think they’re ready. Simple as that really.
Exactly that.

Nick

Administrator
I explained. Could be a perfectly rational explanation. If we had a big enough a squad I don't think any of those kids would be anywhere near the bench.

And you have absolutely zero idea as to whether those on the bench are carrying knocks, or just didn't impress in training. That's always a big factor and managers don't like it when players don't show enough on the training ground.

But that's just a guess. Same as you are assuming. You clearly don't think Robins knows what he's doing at times.

I just don't like to jump to conclusions. I would love to be able to ask him why he doesn't bring subs on when the fans think it's time to, but he's been a brilliant manager for us and I trust that he knows what he's doing
Again, none of that has anything to do with the times like Maidstone and Rotherham when players could have had a rest.

Otis

Again, none of that has anything to do with the times like Maidstone and Rotherham when players could have had a rest.
It does.

What if he just thought the young players just weren't ready? What if the rest of the bench were carrying knocks? We just don't know.

I would like to know the reasons myself, but we can't all just go around and say Robins is an idiot, or doesn't know what he's doing, when we simply haven't got the full picture.

I don't know why people are so reactionary.

Maybe it's just me, but I see the team sheet come up and if it's odd and players are missing, I don't do what so many do on here and say players have been dropped, or that Robins doesn't know what he's doing and it's a terrible lineup. And at the point anyway, I always wait and see, because the game hasn't even kicked off and we don't even know how they will set up or if it will work

I always think, maybe a knock, maybe ill, or maybe just didn't show enough in training.

And when I think the game is calling out for subs, I do wonder why MR hasn't changed things, but again, I don't start calling him clueless or say he doesn't know what he is doing, because I don't have the reason why he has or hasn't done so.

Same if he is saying players are tired. He's not doing it for shits and giggles and he always comes across as straightforward and honest when he says stuff. I have wondered myself, but I don't say it's just excuses or he is lying.

I can't remember the bench for Maidstone, but it was a few kids wasn't it?

I back the manager. Doesn't mean he can't get things wrong on occasion, but some are at him hammer and tongue every single game we lose or draw, criticising just about every single aspect of his management. And I find that utterly ridiculous.

Unless of course, people really do think he's a bad manager. But one minute then players are shit, then we have a great run and everyone is happy and praising the quality of the players and then when we start losing again, they are back to being shit.

And anyway, I just looked back at the Maidstone game on the BBC. Robins made 5 substitutions that night. On 45 mins, on 66 mins, on 67 mins (2 subs) and on 78 mins.

We had three kids on the bench that night.

Nick

Administrator
It does.

What if he just thought the young players just weren't ready? What if the rest of the bench were carrying knocks? We just don't know.

I would like to know the reasons myself, but we can't all just go around and say Robins is an idiot, or doesn't know what he's doing, when we simply haven't got the full picture.

Maybe it's just me, but I see the team sheet come up and if it's odd and players are missing, I don't do what so many do on here and say players have been dropped, or that Robins doesn't know what he's doing and it's a terrible lineup. And at the point anyway, I always wait and see, because the game hasn't even kicked off and we don't even know how they will set up or if it will work

I always think, maybe a knock, maybe ill, or maybe just didn't show enough in training.

And when I think the game is calling out for subs, I do wonder why MR hasn't changed things, but again, I don't start calling him clueless or say he doesn't know what he is doing, because I don't have the reason why he has or hasn't done so.

Same if he is saying players are tired. He's not doing it for shits and giggles and he always comes across as straightforward and honest when he says stuff. I have wondered myself, but I don't say it's just excuses or he is lying.

I back the manager. Doesn't mean he can't get things wrong on occasion, but some are at him hammer and tongue every single game we lose or draw, criticising just about every single aspect of his management. And I find that utterly ridiculous.

Unless of course, people really do think he's a bad manager. But one minute then players are shit, then we have a great run and everyone is happy and praising the quality of the players and then when we start losing again, they are back to being shit.

And anyway, I just looked back at the Maidstone game on the BBC. Robins made 5 substitutions that night. On 45 mins, on 66 mins, on 67 mins (2 subs) and on 78 mins.

Yes against Maidstone he made 5 subs, he brought on players that he didn't really need to risk when he could have used the kids.. It was an ideal opportunity to let first teamers have a rest, whack the 3 kids on as the game is won. Same against Rotherham. That's the point.

There was absolutely no reason to bring O'Hare on at half time when we had the game won (for example). It was only the week before he was missing a game because of fatigue....

Last edited:

Otis

Yes against Maidstone he made 5 subs, he brought on players that he didn't really need to risk when he could have used the kids.. It was an ideal opportunity to let first teamers have a rest, whack the 3 kids on as the game is won. Same against Rotherham. That's the point.

There was absolutely no reason to bring O'Hare on at half time when we had the game won (for example). It was only the week before he was missing a game because of fatigue....
Have you seen these kids play?

Hertsccfc

It does.

Absolutely right.

Robins is an excellent manager and Viveash an excellent number two. The idea that anyone on here knows more about the fitness of the players and team selection is beyond crazy.

It has been a disappointing season as far as I am concerned but that is not down to Robins. I genuinely think we would be in the play offs if we had signed a couple of extra players in January (maybe even loans, shock horror), but our failure to do so doesn't rest with Robins. He made it clear in his interviews what he thought we needed.

I hope and believe the club will learn from this, as it is an expensive mistake. We will lose O'Hare on a free, which we probably wouldn't have done if we had won the play offs, which I genuinely believe could have happened with a little more depth to the squad. I suspect we will also lose Sheaf as he may feel our ambition doesn't meet his, and maybe others.

I imagine we will see a more pragmatic and thoughtful approach next season which will include loans and experienced players coming in to add leadership, rather than the current scattergun approach of signings for investment only.

Simply doing the same again next season and the seasons after will lead to the gradual decline of the club in my view. Yes sign prospects but don't expect them alone to make a successful team.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Funnily it gets talked about more when our form completely dropped off..
Yeah, from has dropped off because players have picked up injuries and made basic errors. Neither of which can be linked at all to physical fatigue.

shmmeee

Absolutely right.

Robins is an excellent manager and Viveash an excellent number two. The idea that anyone on here knows more about the fitness of the players and team selection is beyond crazy.

It has been a disappointing season as far as I am concerned but that is not down to Robins. I genuinely think we would be in the play offs if we had signed a couple of extra players in January (maybe even loans, shock horror), but our failure to do so doesn't rest with Robins. He made it clear in his interviews what he thought we needed.

I hope and believe the club will learn from this, as it is an expensive mistake. We will lose O'Hare on a free, which we probably wouldn't have done if we had won the play offs, which I genuinely believe could have happened with a little more depth to the squad. I suspect we will also lose Sheaf as he may feel our ambition doesn't meet his, and maybe others.

I imagine we will see a more pragmatic and thoughtful approach next season which will include loans and experienced players coming in to add leadership, rather than the current scattergun approach of signings for investment only.

Simply doing the same again next season and the seasons after will lead to the gradual decline of the club in my view. Yes sign prospects but don't expect them alone to make a successful team.

I keep going back to squad mentality. You’ve got Fadz and Vik types in the side you just don’t put in some of those performances, you don’t give away some of those goals, you don’t get distracted by the big games coming up. You can get around that by having options to replace players whose eye isn’t on the prize, but you can also keep players performing.

I’m convinced if we had been properly in with a shout of playoffs after the Utd game (and in hindsight we were but at the time it looked like a mammoth task), then a fair few players would have found extra energy reserves. And I think that’s what the likes of Evo and Nick are pointing to. As a club it felt like we let ourselves breathe out as it were and once you do that it’s hard to get levels up again.

Old Warwickshire lad

With the way things panned out, I think we missed hell of a chance this season to get into play offs.
Don’t see it being any easier next season.

Nick

Administrator
Have you seen these kids play?

We had already won the game at home to Maidstone.

There was absolutely no need to put a player on at half time who was already missing games to fatigue.

It wouldn't have mattered to put the 3 kids on at varying times rather than O'Hare, MVE and Eccles.

Otis

We had already won the game at home to Maidstone.

There was absolutely no need to put a player on at half time who was already missing games to fatigue.

It wouldn't have mattered to put the 3 kids on at varying times rather than O'Hare, MVE and Eccles.
Glad you're not our manager then. 😂

JSL

Question - are the younger players who are currently being used as subs (Aidan Daish, Kai Andrew etc) also playing games for other teams like U21's?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

For wanting to play kids that Robins clearly doesn't rate highly enough.

Good point, young or old, if you're good enough you will play. 🤔

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Question - are the younger players who are currently being used as subs (Aidan Daish, Kai Andrew etc) also playing games for other teams like U21's?

Good Question, can't remember the last time the U21's last played.

Users who are viewing this thread